Joining as derm with FAP or post-residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Elected to go with a full ride to state school vs HPSP or USUHS out of state and have an interest in dermatology. While I recognize like everyone says derm then changes as med school progresses, I really have enjoyed it in shadowing, especially MOHS surgery, and was just curious about routes to serve for a bit through FAP or direct accession post residency in that specialty.

Since it's a smaller specialty, do you think the Navy would support you for FAP? Or post residency, do you think you would qualify for a direct accession bonus since it's not listed as a critical need specialty?

Again, totally hypothetical here. Just curious about future paths in derm and some length of service in the Navy.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely on both fronts since they aren't that undermanned of a specialty, but doesn't hurt to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
More importantly, why do you want to join the Navy? Civilian dermatology is already difficult enough to get into. If you are through the Navy, you would likely get stuck performing a utilization tour as a flight surgeon before you could even apply for residency. Second, the financial hit alone would not be worth it as derm is such a lucrative specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
More importantly, why do you want to join the Navy? Civilian dermatology is already difficult enough to get into. If you are through the Navy, you would likely get stuck performing a utilization tour as a flight surgeon before you could even apply for residency. Second, the financial hit alone would not be worth it as derm is such a lucrative specialty.

I want to serve in some capacity for the service/life experience. I know it’s not financially the best route. I was already prepared to take hpsp or usuhs before receiving a full ride to a state school. I want to have that experience, I just chose the full ride instead to maintain some greater flexibility in case I end up liking something that as you said is somewhat inaccessible through the Navy and leads you through multiple GMO tours before doing what you want. I was thinking maybe I could do the minimum 2 year commitment post residency, get some loan repayment and see how I like it and then either get out and make more money or continue on.

If you really want to serve then you can apply for FAP. I have no idea what the chances are now or in 4 years, but it can't hurt to try. If that doesn't work out you can try for direct entry after. Again, no clue what the odds will be.

For the Army FAP is out for sure. You could apply in your last year for a direct slot. Just depends on the year you apply if they have any slots available. There has not been a Derm slot for active or reserve in the last three years though. PM me if you need any assistance getting with a local Army healthcare recruiter.

Do you think I should elect to take HSCP through the Navy to ensure I will be able to serve? Or would it make more sense to wait until residency/post-residency to join? I'm at a low point because I accepted a full ride to a state school which I am really not liking. I preferred Jefferson and USUHS but chose this one for the scholarship.

Do you think I should elect to take HSCP through the Navy to ensure I will be able to serve? Or would it make more sense to wait until residency/post-residency to join? I'm at a low point because I accepted a full ride to a state school which I am really not liking. I preferred Jefferson and USUHS but chose this one for the scholarship.

Absolutely not. Med school plus a possible derm residency is 8 years. You may have no desire to serve by then. Going HSCP now obligates you and definitely doesn't come with any guarantee of your choice of residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at a low point because I accepted a full ride to a state school which I am really not liking.

Take the scholarship and never look back. I'm still not sure why you are asking us about joining the military. You can always come in at a later date once you are an attending and dermatology, but don't even think about asking a question now.

Haha thank you for the feedback. Just needed to hear it. Back to studying.

Do not take HSCP. Do not apply-for or accept HPSP. Take the full ride scholarship to the state school. That is, by far, the best deal you have in hand: better than the Navy, better than Jefferson, Penn or anything else. Apply-for and take the best civilian residency you can get in the specialty you eventually want, derm or anything else. Don't bother looking back. Take comfort in the knowledge you made the best choices from among the options you had available. (If you are in Pennsylvania and the state schools you are considering are either Pitt, Penn State Hershey or Temple, you have rubies in your hand, don't drop them.)

You can always join the reserves later. Don't let the Navy interfere with the progress of your education and quality of your training. Just because you want to serve doesn't make any program they might have an opportunity in your best interest (or theirs, for that matter.)

You can thank me later.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not take HSCP. Do not apply-for or accept HPSP. Take the full ride scholarship to the state school. That is, by far, the best deal you have in hand: better than the Navy, better than Jefferson, Penn or anything else. Apply-for and take the best civilian residency you can get in the specialty you eventually want, derm or anything else. Don't bother looking back. Take comfort in the knowledge you made the best choices from among the options you had available. (If you are in Pennsylvania and the state schools you are considering are either Pitt, Penn State Hershey or Temple, you have rubies in your hand, don't drop them.)

You can always join the reserves later. Don't let the Navy interfere with the progress of your education and quality of your training. Just because you want to serve doesn't make any program they might have an opportunity in your best interest (or theirs, for that matter.)

You can thank me later.

Wayne State in Michigan. I mean it might be a grass is greener situation, but the school seems so disconnected with everything. I understand med school is mostly studying and shouldn't matter where you're at, but in comparison everyone at Jefferson seemed so happy. At Wayne, it feels like everyone is constantly struggling to understand the disconnect of material and there is a lack of cohesion and happiness. Something I think is important so that you can make it through these stressful years. I guess it will pay off in the end with opportunities coming with free school and no upfront obligations, but I can't stop comparing it to what I feel was a better environment to succeed in.