Just bought a new car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonestar

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
2009 Acura Rdx with all the bells and whistles.

Going to the dealership is like getting your teeth pulled. Man i got conned into getting the extended warranty/tire coverage for 3k. Thought i was getting a good deal but after taxes etc. it came out at 39k with 0.9% APR.

Anyhow, LOVE the car. only issue is the gas mileage averaging 18.5 mpg. The voice activation is great!!! The crossover handles like a sedan in the city and that turbo engine is nice!!!! This is my first luxury car and i am estatic. I'll post a pic later but wanted to hear from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

2009 Acura Rdx with all the bells and whistles.

Going to the dealership is like getting your teeth pulled. Man i got conned into getting the extended warranty/tire coverage for 3k. Thought i was getting a good deal but after taxes etc. it came out at 39k with 0.9% APR.

Anyhow, LOVE the car. only issue is the gas mileage averaging 18.5 mpg. The voice activation is great!!! The crossover handles like a sedan in the city and that turbo engine is nice!!!! This is my first luxury car and i am estatic. I'll post a pic later but wanted to hear from you guys.

When I was getting my Honda Accord, they tried to sell me the extended warranty for 1.5k ... I told them, I would get it if I was buying a Ford not a Honda. :laugh:

I love haggling with car dealers, I walked out with my car at less than private party kelly blue book price tag. A year later, the blue book value reached what I paid. The key is that you HAVE to be willing to walk away. You DONT NEED this car...if thats the attitude, you will sign a good deal.:thumbup:

When I was getting my Honda Accord, they tried to sell me the extended warranty for 1.5k ... I told them, I would get it if I was buying a Ford not a Honda. :laugh:

I love haggling with car dealers, I walked out with my car at less than private party kelly blue book price tag. A year later, the blue book value reached what I paid. The key is that you HAVE to be willing to walk away. You DONT NEED this car...if thats the attitude, you will sign a good deal.:thumbup:

I don't know that extended warranties are that terrible, but it also depends on how much you drive and how long you'll keep it. My wife is putting 25K miles a year on her Lexus - at that rate, the warranty is long gone before the loan is ever paid off. If we were putting 10-12k a year on it, I wouldn't do it.

Also, $3k sounds awful steep - you probably could have negotiated that down along with the price of the car. The extended warranties are largely profit for the dealer, so there's plenty of room to haggle, especially in this market.

Members don't see this ad :)
extended warranty 2.1K. Gap insurance $700. Tire coverage $400. MSRP 38.7K. Ended up paying 39k with taxes.

Yeah, i know i got swindled.

Anyway, i drive a lot. probably 15-20 k miles/yr.

I was paying 33.3 k (1k less than invoice) and then they added all this extra crap and i fell for it. God, i feel so cheap.

Anyway, i just hate going to the car dealership. Those people suck.

If someone comes up with a delivery service to your house (once you have negotiated a price online), that would be great.

I just hate paying these roaches so much money. Someones gonna have a merry christmans.

extended warranty 2.1K. Gap insurance $700. Tire coverage $400. MSRP 38.7K. Ended up paying 39k with taxes.

I was paying 33.3 k (1k less than invoice) and then they added all this extra crap and i fell for it. God, i feel so cheap.

If someone comes up with a delivery service to your house (once you have negotiated a price online), that would be great.

I just hate paying these roaches so much money. Someones gonna have a merry christmans.

Don't feel too bad. Peace of mind is worth a couple grand when you've already dropped such a chunk. I'm a big fan of gap insurance, but you probably could've gotten it cheaper from your own insurance company. I was surprised to find Allstate charged half what the dealer charged AND they would've allowed me to buy gap for 2 years. Almost makes you want to drive it for 22 months and then intentionally total it!

If you decide you paid too much for the warranty, you can cancel it and the prorated amount will be applied to your loan. If you just signed, you'll get it all. You can buy the same warranty at any time before your factory warranty expires and usually get a better deal on it. Go at the end of the month about an hour before they close, they'll cut their profit to get their numbers.

I sold cars (shameful admission) pretty succesfully for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Nice purchase! My RDX is just a little over a year old and i love it. Mine came to $34K but i didn't purchase all that extra "warranty" nonsense. The voice is great isn't it?

It might be a stretch to say a car dealer is going to have a merry christmas this year, import or domestic.

....not that I have much sympathy.

Congrats to you for purchasing a fine Japanese auto. Purchase the service manual for the car. Get some nice quality tools like Snap-on and become a "wrencher." Avoid taking your car to the "stealership" for anything other than major repairs. Always blow off any type of extended warranties for these Japanese cars. Change your oil yourself with a quality full synthetic oil every 5000 miles with filter. Always buy OEM parts for these cars. That should get ya started, Mick. ----Regards, ----Zippy

Avoid taking your car to the "stealership" for anything other than major repairs. Always blow off any type of extended warranties for these Japanese cars. Change your oil yourself with a quality full synthetic oil every 5000 miles with filter.

I don't think you can do that with the RDX. The panel displays a service code every time it's due for some kind of servicing. How would you reset it if you changed the oil yourself?

Leverus, on these Jap vehicles that maintenance/service indicator light can be reset by turning the ignition key to the "on" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob. The definitive answer will be found in the owner's/service manual. The last time I stepped foot on the "stealership" lot was when I purchased the vehicle. They told me my warranty would be void if I didn't bring the car in for regular service intervals. The service manual is key! Regards, ----Zip

Members don't see this ad :)
just got myself a 09 bmw 335 twin turbo! and i couldn't be happier. merry christmas to me

The panel displays a service code every time it's due for some kind of servicing. How would you reset it if you changed the oil yourself?

My friend's Acura (older version of RDX) has a button near the clutch pedal to reset the service light. It is described in the owner's manual.

well, I am really happy with the Rdx. This crossover SUV is sweet. Easy to maneuver in the city and awesome for long load trips also. The only issue is that it gets 18.5 mpg and i have only driven 400 miles. So, i am hoping the mpg goes up to 19-20 mpg.

I have decided to call the dealership and cancel the extended warranty package worth 2.3K.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

If anything, this thread is proof that the American auto industry is completely dead. I don't hear anyone saying, "Man, I just got me a killer GM Metro." Or... "Dude, did you check out that sweet Chrysler LeBaron?" Or... "That Ford Focus is really awesome! Everyone should test-drive that thing."

No sense pouring more hard-earned tax dollars into something that has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel...

-copro

If anything, this thread is proof that the American auto industry is completely dead. I don't hear anyone saying, "Man, I just got me a killer GM Metro." Or... "Dude, did you check out that sweet Chrysler LeBaron?" Or... "That Ford Focus is really awesome! Everyone should test-drive that thing."

No sense pouring more hard-earned tax dollars into something that has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel...

-copro

Devil's advocate here ...

First, a forum full of anesthesiologists is a great place to find owners of expensive cars. It's not like you're posting on the pediatrics forum. ;) BMW, Mercedes, and the like were just as popular amongst our kind 10 and 20 years ago as they are now.

Second, the kind of people who post "I have a ___" messages on threads like this tend to be the ones driving luxury vehicles, not practical budget cars like Metros or Focuses (Foci?). This speaks more to their desires and economic means than the quality of the inexpensive cars.

This thread is proof of nothing more than the fact that newly minted attending anesthesiologists often buy nice, expensive foreign cars and talk about them.

Also, keep in mind that Toyota posted its first loss in 70 years this quarter. Toyota, a model of efficiency, the biggest auto maker in the world, owner of seven (?) US factories, is also in a rough spot. The auto industry isn't good for anyone lately.

I'm with you though, on thinking that a nice, orderly, humiliatingly embarrassing Chapter 11 experience with its consolidation and reorganization might be the best thing for US auto companies.

A friend who was in the class ahead of me bought a 335 last year. Loves it.
One of our attendings bought an X5 his first year out. Engine caught fire and it burned to the ground.

How's that for "manufacturer quality" anecdotal data? :)

Most of the quality items you purchase should only be manufactured in Japan or Germany. The USA should not be allowed to manufacture anything that involves a moving assembly line. The vision I have in my mind of the typical American auto worker is: fat, mallet-handed, 40s, OSA lookin', butt crackin', wearin' shorts and a t-shirt with catsup and relish stains donning worn sneakers. Ok for the guy that wants to mow your yard on a Saturday but not for assembling pecision parts. Yup, prolly will get the vitriol from that CFDavid dude. -----Regards, ----Zippy

Don't feel too bad. Peace of mind is worth a couple grand when you've already dropped such a chunk. I'm a big fan of gap insurance, but you probably could've gotten it cheaper from your own insurance company. I was surprised to find Allstate charged half what the dealer charged AND they would've allowed me to buy gap for 2 years. Almost makes you want to drive it for 22 months and then intentionally total it!
Gap insurance is an absolute rip off, you are basically donating your money to these crooks.
If you really have to get it (and I can't see a reason why should) get it from your insurance company so at least you don't pay interest on it when they include it in the price.
Extended warranties, tire warranties and maintenance contracts are all methods to rip you off.
If you want to buy a car go buy a car, don't let them add anything to the price and if later you feel you need to get any of these things you can buy it anytime (and I don't think you should).
When you enter a dealership always remember that you are there to buy a car not to donate money.

Most of the quality items you purchase should only be manufactured in Japan or Germany.

Any coincidence that, among the biggest bulk of market-share for anesthesia machines, Dräger is a German company?

Ok for the guy that wants to mow your yard on a Saturday but not for assembling pecision parts.

Well, that's not a fair analogy. You know how to resuscitate the guy when he keels over from an MI in the midday sun while cropping your fescue.

-copro

Gap insurance is an absolute rip off, .

I disagree. compared to the price of the car, gap insurance is practically free. My peespective might be slightly skewed, however. I've had two friends get nice cars totalled within 6 months of purchase, only to find that the insurance value was WAY less than what they owed on the car, leaving them on the hook for several thousand dollars. maybe this isn't common.

I disagree. compared to the price of the car, gap insurance is practically free. My peespective might be slightly skewed, however. I've had two friends get nice cars totalled within 6 months of purchase, only to find that the insurance value was WAY less than what they owed on the car, leaving them on the hook for several thousand dollars. maybe this isn't common.

if it was common, they wouldn't offer the insurance in the first place. the chance you would total your car versus getting reiumbursed by insurance company seems that car insurance (which i believe is a ripoff in its own right) is already a protection. why throw in more "what if" money....save it all up for some other jewel.

Devil's advocate here ...

First, a forum full of anesthesiologists is a great place to find owners of expensive cars.

Yeah, but no one is talking about going super-pimp and getting an Escalade... or buying a Corvette... or a Crossfire (does anyone even know what a Crossfire is?)... or a Lincoln Towncar... of course, the latter you'd only get if you're over 75 or are having someone drive you to work. :laugh:

-copro

i know what a crossfire is :D i think they're fairly nice looking
they are, as far as i know, not being made any more

(does anyone even know what a Crossfire is?)... or a -copro

Yes it's a POS if it's not being made it's because it was made on the old Merc SLK plateform so it was an old car the day it came out (pig with some lipstick)

as for Ford they probably have the best product and compete fairly well in Europe against the japs but you don't get the small models we get.

ford-ka-big-1.jpg

25888a-ford_fiesta_s.jpg

The Focus and Mondeo are often cited in car magazines for having a very good money vs performance ration

The problem that every one keeps forgetting about small cars is that about 80% of the American public would not physically fit inside a small car.
So, although the American car companies CEO's are obviously not rocket scientists they did realize that Americans will not buy cars that can not accommodate their "assets".

Cars direct.com can basically give you exactly what you ask for at a price from a local dealer. You say yay or nay and go pick up the car. When I used them 7 years ago for the first time they delivered to my door free of charge. In the current state of the market you should not be getting swindled. Dealers are trying to unload inventory.

I got my current car at invoice, went down to the dealer checked it out to make sure all the options were everything I agreed to over the internet. Paid in cash. They asked for extras like extended warranty, low jack ect. - I said no, no, and no. Total time at the dealer: 30 minutes.

I got "swindled" by carsdirect.com a few yrs ago when buying a car out of state. It's not a panacea. Basically we had agreed to a price and when I showed up to the stealership all the paperwork had about 500 bucks added to it. I know it's not that much but it is not what we had agreed.

I'm curious about the car buying service from overstock.com or costco. I will give them a try next time.

Anyway, the secret for buying at invoice is buying the car nobody wants. Otherwise, if the car is in demand, you are going to pay over.

The problem that every one keeps forgetting about small cars is that about 80% of the American public would not physically fit inside a small car.

:laugh:

Too true, dude. Seems most don't even fit on the operating table either.

-copro

I got "swindled" by carsdirect.com a few yrs ago when buying a car out of state. It's not a panacea. Basically we had agreed to a price and when I showed up to the stealership all the paperwork had about 500 bucks added to it. I know it's not that much but it is not what we had agreed.

I'm curious about the car buying service from overstock.com or costco. I will give them a try next time.

Anyway, the secret for buying at invoice is buying the car nobody wants. Otherwise, if the car is in demand, you are going to pay over.

Well if they added $500 to the agreed price, why didn't you just walk out of the dealership? I have used them twice. Both times before I went to the dealer to pick up I called and confirmed the out the door price and options. I made it very clear if it was not what I agreed to I would leave. Both times it went fine. But if it didn't I would have wasted maybe 30 minutes of my time. Better than the 3-4 + hours you typically have to spend going through the traditional route. It is not a panacea, because ultimately the experience depends on the dealer.

Cars direct.com can basically give you exactly what you ask for at a price from a local dealer. You say yay or nay and go pick up the car. When I used them 7 years ago for the first time they delivered to my door free of charge. In the current state of the market you should not be getting swindled. Dealers are trying to unload inventory.

I got my current car at invoice, went down to the dealer checked it out to make sure all the options were everything I agreed to over the internet. Paid in cash. They asked for extras like extended warranty, low jack ect. - I said no, no, and no. Total time at the dealer: 30 minutes.

most people aren't aware of the fact that there is this "invoice" price, and then there is the "dealership" price. The invoice price is what a dealer would pay for a car, but in actuality it is not the price they paid. Since they sell in mass, they get dealership discounts, which is much less than this invoice price they throw at you.

Furthermore, new car pricing is bloated. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it drops 10% in value. You don't have this issue with used cars. However, nobody WANTS a used car...but if you look at it for what it is (transportation) rather than a property (it depreciates in value and you eventually chuck it), you will think more economically speaking.

most people aren't aware of the fact that there is this "invoice" price, and then there is the "dealership" price. The invoice price is what a dealer would pay for a car, but in actuality it is not the price they paid. Since they sell in mass, they get dealership discounts, which is much less than this invoice price they throw at you.

Furthermore, new car pricing is bloated. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it drops 10% in value. You don't have this issue with used cars. However, nobody WANTS a used car...but if you look at it for what it is (transportation) rather than a property (it depreciates in value and you eventually chuck it), you will think more economically speaking.

I am well aware the listed invoice is not what the dealer paid for it.

The actual dealer cost= Invoice Price minus Factory To Dealer Incentives minus Factory Holdback. In fact in my conversations I directly ask what these are values. You actually can look up the holdback online but the incentives are not usually published. However, the dealer still need to make a profit and their margins are actually pretty slim.

As for your other point, yes used cars are more economical, however I am at the point in my life where I don't need to buy old used cars to save money. I still want a good deal on anything new I am buying new.

Oh for the love of god, not everything in life needs to be evaluated as an investment.

Meals at restaurants are poor investments, too. You know, if you look at food for what it is (fuel for cellular metabolism) rather than a property (it rapidly assumes zero value and you eventually, uh, dump it), you will think more economically speaking. The minute you walk out of the mall food court, that $8 plate of Sbarro spaghetti has depreciated a hell of a lot more than 10%.

Cars are more than transportation to a lot of people. Most car buyers are also buying entertainment, and "investment" is the furthest thing from their minds.

If you're happy with your used econobox and store-brand pasta that you've sauced up with ketchup packets swiped from McDonalds, good for you. But don't presume to teach others who choose to spend more on non-essential luxury items how poorly they've "invested" their money.

As for me, I'll take the filet mignon and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Not because it's necessary, but because I like it, and you've got to blow your money on something.

Oh for the love of god, not everything in life needs to be evaluated as an investment.

Agreed!

YUKON XL LOADED, ABOUT 45 LARGE.

TRANSFORMED INTO A MONSTA TRUCK WITH A STEREO SYSTEM JAY Z WOULD LOVE, 15 LARGE.

Driving a one of a kind truck I built,

PRICELESS.

Makes me smile every time I fire the thing up, unlike my retirement portfolio.

140bz43.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

You sound like wanna my investment gurus who have GUIDED ME :)laugh::laugh:) to a BIG FIGURE LOSS over the last year.

I don't listen to those dudes any more.

Wanted to put a pretty good position in Altria (MO) 18 months ago because of the big dividend and the "expert" skoffed at my idea.

Save your propaganda, Slim.

I've heard it all.

I'll continue to INVEST money in my MONSTA TRUCKS, and MO since it makes me happy.:smuggrin:

Last edited:
And I've taken a big stake on MO.

My wife's sister works for BAT (British American Tobacco) and they actually got sizeable bonuses this year for robust performance. Time to stock up on etoh and tobacco companies which generally do well in a recession.

Meals at restaurants are poor investments, too. You know, if you look at food for what it is (fuel for cellular metabolism) rather than a property (it rapidly assumes zero value and you eventually, uh, dump it), you will think more economically speaking. The minute you walk out of the mall food court, that $8 plate of Sbarro spaghetti has depreciated a hell of a lot more than 10%.

Cars are more than transportation to a lot of people. Most car buyers are also buying entertainment, and "investment" is the furthest thing from their minds.

If you're happy with your used econobox and store-brand pasta that you've sauced up with ketchup packets swiped from McDonalds, good for you. But don't presume to teach others who choose to spend more on non-essential luxury items how poorly they've "invested" their money.

As for me, I'll take the filet mignon and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Not because it's necessary, but because I like it, and you've got to blow your money on something.

if you want to give money to the dealership thats fine, i was referring to the fact that you can score great deals on slightly used cars. if you are "baller status", and money isn't an issue, then of course, splurge away.

:thumbup:

Obama is going to cut everyone another big fat check in about a month or so. This is precisely the kind of thinking we need to get the economy going. I think there should be strings attached, unlike with the last GWB freebie (which many people used to pay down debt instead of "stimulating" the economy).

Awesome post, pgg. We need more Americans like you. Trickle down only works if people are willing to spend. Most Americans either hoard... or spend money they don't have... or expect something for free. If you have, spend. It helps everyone. Seriously.

-copro

Obama is going to cut everyone another big fat check in about a month or so. This is precisely the kind of thinking we need to get the economy going. I think there should be strings attached, unlike with the last GWB freebie (which many people used to pay down debt instead of "stimulating" the economy).

Ooh, ooh, I can't wait to see how much I'm going to be involuntarily borrowing from the Chinese and Saudis this time around.

Paying off personal debt isn't all bad though - once they're not wasting money every month on credit card interest, that's money they can spend in the economy, without government handouts (er, Chinese loans). I bought a 5-pack of T-bones yesterday, but I also don't have $30K in credit card debt and a sinister thin-mustached guy from the bank outside hammering a sign into my lawn. For the people who do, it's hard to fault them for putting their handout toward something less delicious.

Well if they added $500 to the agreed price, why didn't you just walk out of the dealership?

I was in a bad negotiating position. I had just gotten off the plane in a big southern city, coming from NYC where I had no car. I had no friends or family to help me out. I took a cab to my apartment complex ($55) to sign the lease and then took another cab to the stealership to pick up the car ($60). Arriving in a taxi does not leave too much room for negotiation. I figured I could have walked away but that would have cost me a few hundred bucks in cab rides by the time I would find a car at an adequate price. So, I just bent over and took it like a man.

-copro

The American industry has been behind the game for quite a while. We have cars that can compete in certain niches, but you can stay afloat purely on gas guzzling muscle cars and SUVs--even if jet wants his monsta trucks

Last edited:
Cadillac and Corvette are the only worthy American cars, IMHO.

I was in a bad negotiating position. I had just gotten off the plane in a big southern city, coming from NYC where I had no car. I had no friends or family to help me out. I took a cab to my apartment complex ($55) to sign the lease and then took another cab to the stealership to pick up the car ($60). Arriving in a taxi does not leave too much room for negotiation. I figured I could have walked away but that would have cost me a few hundred bucks in cab rides by the time I would find a car at an adequate price. So, I just bent over and took it like a man.

Hey Bro,

we can listen to all the "gurus" urging us to buy used cars because its the "smart play" but

THERES NOTHING LIKE DRIVING A SPANKING NEW VEHICLE.

Lost 500 bucks to the stealership?

One large?

Maybe two?

Whatever.

Enjoy your vehicle. It'll make you smile more than your "investments" these days.:thumbup:

just got myself a 09 bmw 335 twin turbo! and i couldn't be happier. merry christmas to me

Congrats.....damn they must be paying med studs a lot better now than when I was in med school....

I'm in as well. Just bought a new ride. Nothin' fancy just a Toyota Tundra with some extras. Extras like a small lift TRD pkg including exhaust.

Oh and I SUPERCHARGED it.

Takes it from 381 hp to a whopping 504 hp.

Pics will follow if anyone is interested. I get it in about a week due to the mods.

PGG, my truck posts a 0-60 time of 6.7 stock if I remember right. NOW, who knows but its in your ballpark I'm sure, sub 6 sec.

I'm in as well. Just bought a new ride. Nothin' fancy just a Toyota Tundra with some extras. Extras like a small lift TRD pkg including exhaust.

Oh and I SUPERCHARGED it.

Takes it from 381 hp to a whopping 504 hp.

Pics will follow if anyone is interested. I get it in about a week due to the mods.

PGG, my truck posts a 0-60 time of 6.7 stock if I remember right. NOW, who knows but its in your ballpark I'm sure, sub 6 sec.

WOW!!! COOL RIDE!!!

Looking forward to the pics!!!

I love trucks.:love: