This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash_xoxo1

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my father was very ill throughout my senior year so I was unable to take my MCAT until August 4. He passed away in July and I took the MCAT one week after because I had no other option. I just received my score and am devastated because I did so bad. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA. I got a 501 on the MCAT...but I know I'm capable of so much better but now there are no more test dates for this cycle. Should I apply to the medical schools that I want to go to, apply to D.O. school, or wait until next year? Will schools understand or even consider the fact that I had to take my test under the worst circumstances possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very sorry for your loss. However, I think the best thing to do right now is try to recover, regroup, and apply again next year

If you apply this year, you'll most likely be applying again as a reapplicant next year. Being hasty does not look good to Adcoms. Similarly, taking the MCAT when you knew the circumstances would be bad for you shows some lack of judgement.

Sorry for your loss! If you need anything feel free to message me and talk.

If you are one of the lucky majority that has a state-run medical college, I would highly recommend you apply there. In addition, try for an early decision application if possible. This will be your best shot at an MD. Make sure to mention your situation and point to your otherwise excellent (hopefully) application. Unfortunately the general consensus seems to be ADCOMS are more forgiving of Low GPA/High MCAT than High GPA/Low MCAT. However, until the door is slammed in your face you still have a fighting chance. Do this is only if you are hellbent on applying this year.

Your BEST bet, would be to wait till next cycle, re-take the MCAT in spring, and then apply early next cycle. Apply broadly, mention this experience in your app (how you grew from this, how you dealt with the perceived failure,what positive changes you made in response etc...) The statistics show that your first round through as an applicant carries the highest chance of success, re-applications bring successively lowered chances of admission in general. You should use this gap year to do some work, find yourself, travel, come to terms with your awful loss. Medical school will always be waiting for you, and the more life experience you have the more attractive you are to ADCOMS. There is no such thing as failure, your timeline is your own and nobody can tell you how to live your life. So brush the dirt off, get back up again and get back at it.

As far as DO is concerned, they are starting to catch on to MD students using them as a safety. Many schools want to see DO shadowing experience as well as an LOR from a DO. You need to appeal to their holistic mission and make a strong case that they aren't your backup (Oh S***) option. If you can pull that off, give it a shot, but you're capable of MD with those grades. Don't sell yourself short.

-RogueBanana out.
:banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PM me if you want to talk, I lost a parent about a month ago in the middle of my application cycle. Although no situations are completely relatable, I'm a good listener and have learned a lot going through this.

Sorry for your loss! If you need anything feel free to message me and talk.

If you are one of the lucky majority that has a state-run medical college, I would highly recommend you apply there. In addition, try for an early decision application if possible. This will be your best shot at an MD. Make sure to mention your situation and point to your otherwise excellent (hopefully) application. Unfortunately the general consensus seems to be ADCOMS are more forgiving of Low GPA/High MCAT than High GPA/Low MCAT. However, until the door is slammed in your face you still have a fighting chance. Do this is only if you are hellbent on applying this year.

Your BEST bet, would be to wait till next cycle, re-take the MCAT in spring, and then apply early next cycle. Apply broadly, mention this experience in your app (how you grew from this, how you dealt with the perceived failure,what positive changes you made in response etc...) The statistics show that your first round through as an applicant carries the highest chance of success, re-applications bring successively lowered chances of admission in general. You should use this gap year to do some work, find yourself, travel, come to terms with your awful loss. Medical school will always be waiting for you, and the more life experience you have the more attractive you are to ADCOMS. There is no such thing as failure, your timeline is your own and nobody can tell you how to live your life. So brush the dirt off, get back up again and get back at it.

As far as DO is concerned, they are starting to catch on to MD students using them as a safety. Many schools want to see DO shadowing experience as well as an LOR from a DO. You need to appeal to their holistic mission and make a strong case that they aren't your backup (Oh S***) option. If you can pull that off, give it a shot, but you're capable of MD with those grades. Don't sell yourself short.

-RogueBanana out.
:banana:

I sent in my application last month, would I be able to withdrawal it or would waiting until next year still count as a "re application"?

So, my father was very ill throughout my senior year so I was unable to take my MCAT until August 4. He passed away in July and I took the MCAT one week after because I had no other option. I just received my score and am devastated because I did so bad. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA. I got a 501 on the MCAT...but I know I'm capable of so much better but now there are no more test dates for this cycle. Should I apply to the medical schools that I want to go to, apply to D.O. school, or wait until next year? Will schools understand or even consider the fact that I had to take my test under the worst circumstances possible?
I'm so sorry about your dad. I think the first priority is to take care of yourself and give yourself some time to grieve.

When you're feeling better and when you feel ready, you should take your MCAT again and do better. But don't do this until you are actually feeling well. You want to give yourself the best chance to get into medical school.

But really, take care of yourself first. It's more important than anything. And don't be afraid to ask for help.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent in my application last month, would I be able to withdrawal it or would waiting until next year still count as a "re application"?
If you already compiled the school list on your primary, submitted it, and are now receiving secondaries then yes it would count.
The process varies from school to school. Most will ask if you ever applied to their school before, or if you were ever rejected. Some may ask if you ever applied then withdrew and why. Either way your state school should still show you mercy.
I wouldn't worry too much, but i'd need to see your application and school list to give you a more accurate response. If you applied all over this cycle, you may have put yourself at a disadvantage next cycle when they ask if you are a re-applicant on secondaries, as you will have applied to most of your best match schools already. That being said, many re-applicants are successful anyway. This situation is why most pre-med advisors will tell you to wait until you have everything together (especially MCAT score) before deciding to apply.

You will be okay as a re applicant with a improved mcat score.. You will be able to explain the timing of your first mcat

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I can't sugar coat this, your MCAT score makes you DOA for MD schools, but a fair candidate at DO.

Taking your test under the worst circumstances possible brings your judgment into question and I have Adcom colleagues would would reject outright for that. Also, the logic of "I would have scored very well if this bad things didn't happen" is untestable, until you retake the exam.

Apply only when you have the best possible app.

Should I apply to the medical schools that I want to go to, apply to D.O. school, or wait until next year? Will schools understand or even consider the fact that I had to take my test under the worst circumstances possible?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 5 users
Very sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Agree with @gonnif and @Goro.

MD schools sift through applications, based on preliminary screening criteria (minimum GPA and MCAT cut-off scores).

You can try to mitigate the low MCAT score problem by retaking the MCAT, and applying next term.

Thank you.

Might want to wait. It's justanother cycle.

Hey, if you need to talk...mesage me. Been through something similar. Hope you're ok.

Sit this one out chief. This is a grueling process that should not be rushed, or jumped into without the proper state of mind. Take the time to prep for a retake, get the score you know you are capable of and apply with the best application you can next cycle. As @Goro said, currently your MD chances are almost none if you apply this cycle

Terribly sorry for your loss.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I think you are a very good student based on the gpa and you have a promising start on the mcat but you haven't reached the md criteria yet. Since early applications are key you would be doing yourself disservice by applying like this. I am taking 2 gap yrs and I think that having a mcat score that would make you atleast eligible and applying on time could really make for a successful cycle. I would have liked to get a higher mcat but I have already taken so much time off that I just wanted to atleast try and see. You have a good opportunity to start preparing for the mcat a year in advance and have things mapped out. Once you take the step to applying it is verrrrry difficult not to blame yourself for components you could fix. Plus, with a low m at applying to many schools becomes compulsory. I was already worn out by the time I completed half of my secondaries. They didnt lie when they said it was busy work
...and to think I love writing. Applying early is not as impt as having a good mcat. An example is how decent mcat scorers are obtaining interviews over those with not as stellar ones and those who applied early. I would also say that a good mcat score can open doors to programs during medical school. Again, quality is everything. It would be one thing that you tried over and over but did not improve, it is another when clearly life happened and your abilities we're not highlighted. I have 100 percent faith that you will do very well when you start your application journey with a good mcat. Don't let all your hardwork go unrewarded. If you have any questions abt gap year, pm me and I can provide excellent ideas.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above, you will be an amazing candidate, but take a year off not just for your scores but YOURSELF. Grieving is not easy while going through a cycle.

It's not easy losing a parent. I've been there, but you can still come back from this. I took the old MCAT last year under different circumstances and received an even lower score than yours!

But I took another gap year, retook the MCAT and improved considerably. And now I'm waiting on upcoming interviews. Essentially, I'm saying that if you believe you can do better, then you owe it to yourself to step back for a while too and then prepare for another shot at the MCAT. You have a great GPA, your current MCAT will not be sufficient for MD, but a much better score will open doors. I agree with the others. Take the year off to breathe and prepare again.

Don't apply now. You need time to recover. After that, you'll have enough time to give an MCAT in 6-8 months its deserved amount of focus so you can have a successful app next year.

One of my state schools had an average new mcat score of 505 (old mcat average was 29). So maybe with the OPs excellent GPA and extenuating circumstances would be OK for their state schools at least (assuming they may live in a good state)? At least if they already submitted there anyways, it seems like it would be worth filling out the secondary since they would be a reapplicant next year either way.

Do u mind sharing which school?