Kansas c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. Had my interview this afternoon. I think I did alright. It wasn't as conversational as others have said, though. The questions weren't difficult, and I didn't get any specific disease questions, mostly ethical questions.
It went over a few minutes, I think.

It was a bit annoying that my interviewers were looking at my application on their laptops while I was talking, so while I was answering my questions I would look at each one of them to try to make eye contact but one or two of them would be messing around on their laptop.

The student ambassadors were great, I got a really good vibe from the school, and I think I really like the town.

I met DVMDream and Knockout4, both super nice. :) Hunterjumper I think I saw you in the middle toward the front, but didn't get a chance to say 'hi'.

How did the rest of you do?

Everyone wish DVMDream good luck for her early morning interview!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I was sitting right in front of the projector, so that was probably me :)

I felt like my interview went all right. I got asked a lot of technical questions about my job (what diseases we see a lot, what media we culture organs on, etc.) and got asked no ethics/morals questions and no why vet med questions, which I thought was pretty weird. Everyone else I talked to got asked questions about ethics/morals and why vet med, so I thought it was pretty weird that I didn't.

Overall, I liked the town and got a pretty good vibe from it. The people were very friendly, and you could tell that the students were really excited to be there (at least, the girl leading my tour was).

Good luck to everyone interviewing on Sunday!

Members don't see this ad.

I felt like my interview went all right. I got asked a lot of technical questions about my job (what diseases we see a lot, what media we culture organs on, etc.) and got asked no ethics/morals questions and no why vet med questions, which I thought was pretty weird. Everyone else I talked to got asked questions about ethics/morals and why vet med, so I thought it was pretty weird that I didn't.

Yikes, that sounds way tougher than mine.

p.s. I don't think everyone who interviewed at Kansas posted in the "Official Interview Invites" thread....

Haha ok I am guilty... that and the "official rejections" and others. To be honest I am not real great on computers and I didn't want to mess up the format of the thread! I am at the Kansas City airport currently and my flight should be boarding soon so I probably will not have time this morning, but I will get on later and figure it out and update those :)

Oh yes and it was basically the same for me as the others who interviewed yesterday... I only had one current events question (andthen they just asked me to pick one) and one or two ethics questions, and everything else was kind of technical and related to my current job. It was not quite as relaxed as I was expecting. But still it was not too bad. And I also agree, everyone there (students and faculty) are super-nice.

Good luck to those who have interviews today!

Members don't see this ad :)
I met DVMDream and Knockout4, both super nice. :) Hunterjumper I think I saw you in the middle toward the front, but didn't get a chance to say 'hi'.

How did the rest of you do?

Everyone wish DVMDream good luck for her early morning interview!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks Squibby! It was nice to meet you and hunterjumper, I was sitting in the row right behind you next to the projector.

My interview went well, I think. Mine was more conversational than what everyone else has been saying. I did not get asked about any current events, but instead on how I keep up with current events in the US and around the world. I also did not get asked any specific ethical questions, but I was asked to tell them about a time when one of the vets I work with had to deal with an ethical dilemma and how it was handled and if I would have done anything differently. Everything else was based off of my experience and personal statement and then questions flowed from what I said. The very first thing they asked me was to tell them about myself and why vet med. I did get asked a couple of technical questions.

Kind of interesting how different everyones interview questions were and how the interviewed flow.

Good Luck everyone! We will know if in about a week and a half! :luck::scared:

I'm so excited for everyone who was interviewing this weekend! I know the next few weeks can make you crazy, replaying every moment of your interview, but don't lose hope!
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be receiving good news soon!

Hey everyone - grats on completing your interviews!!

My hotel didn't have WiFi so I wasn't able to reply to any posts or messages! I actually didn't recognize any of you at the Pizza Party but, oh well, I knew you were there! :)

My interview was...weird... I wasn't asked any ethical or technical questions. I was asked one current events question and then everything else stemmed from my application. It was not conversational. It was also only about 20 minutes long and my interviewers looked a tad uninterested. :/

I am pretty worried about how short it was but I am trying to calm myself down by the fact that I was the last interview of the day and they were probably getting tired/bored. I also was not stumped by any question and feel like I gave solid answers and articulated myself well. (except for the introduce myself question - I was getting over nerves and that was a bit sloppy but I was on a roll after that!)

Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks! :luck:

Congrats to everyone who interviewed this weekend! I'll be crossing my fingers for all of you!:xf::xf::xf:

Kind of interesting how different everyones interview questions were and how the interviewed flow.

Yeah, it definitely was dependent on who your interviewers were.

I met another SDN'er today, we sat next to each other on the plane and talked for 2.5 hrs, it was the fastest flight of my life!!

Last edited:
Thanks Squibby! It was nice to meet you and hunterjumper, I was sitting in the row right behind you next to the projector.

My interview went well, I think. Mine was more conversational than what everyone else has been saying. I did not get asked about any current events, but instead on how I keep up with current events in the US and around the world. I also did not get asked any specific ethical questions, but I was asked to tell them about a time when one of the vets I work with had to deal with an ethical dilemma and how it was handled and if I would have done anything differently. Everything else was based off of my experience and personal statement and then questions flowed from what I said. The very first thing they asked me was to tell them about myself and why vet med. I did get asked a couple of technical questions.

Good Luck everyone! We will know if in about a week and a half! :luck::scared:

My interview was similar; a lot from my application, quite a few technical questions (some that caught me off gaurd like, "walk us through every step of your favorite orthopedic surgery that you saw"). Personally, I thought that this interview was a lot tougher than Iowa States too. The questions were 'kind-of' expected but in a more serious tone I guess. My last question was: What do you think is the biggest problem facing the world today, not concerning Vet Med, but the entire world?

A little tougher and not as laid-back as everyone had been saying I guess...

My interview was similar; a lot from my application, quite a few technical questions (some that caught me off gaurd like, "walk us through every step of your favorite orthopedic surgery that you saw"). Personally, I thought that this interview was a lot tougher than Iowa States too. The questions were 'kind-of' expected but in a more serious tone I guess. My last question was: What do you think is the biggest problem facing the world today, not concerning Vet Med, but the entire world?

A little tougher and not as laid-back as everyone had been saying I guess...

Yikes. Maybe they heard the talk of their interviews being "laid back" and decided to change it up.

Yikes. Maybe they heard the talk of their interviews being "laid back" and decided to change it up.

Well, I was the last group to interview/tour at ISU when I was there (1st interview weekend) so I was also one of the last to leave... I overheard one of the admins/assistants saying, "I'll keep an eye on the student doctor network to see what they're saying!"
Sooo... although that was at ISU, I wouldn't be surprised if someone from KSU kept an eye on us too lol

Well, I was the last group to interview/tour at ISU when I was there (1st interview weekend) so I was also one of the last to leave... I overheard one of the admins/assistants saying, "I'll keep an eye on the student doctor network to see what they're saying!"
Sooo... although that was at ISU, I wouldn't be surprised if someone from KSU kept an eye on us too lol

Aaaggghhh! that is kinda spooky:wow: It seems like such a small world sometimes.... and it makes me think back to all I have revealed in my posts. How many of us could they pick out? I'm such a nerd...the way I think sometimes:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else starting to check their mailboxes obsessively yet?

I have been nervously checking the mail for some time now. I will be really bad next week when KSU said they actually will be sending out letters.

Dr Elmore told me "first week of Feb at the latest, if not earlier." Not to stress anyone out unnecessarily, but I'm hanging onto the "if not earlier." lol

yeah - I even started on Monday....*rolls eyes* it's not even POSSIBLE for it to get there by then even if they mailed as I walked out of the interview room! :laugh:

yeah - I even started on Monday....*rolls eyes* it's not even POSSIBLE for it to get there by then even if they mailed as I walked out of the interview room! :laugh:

Ha ha, that's funny.

I'm trying to decide if I am starting to hate Mon-Sat because of the anticipation, or if I hate Sunday because I won't get any mail that day. It's a toss up.

I am so much more excited about the prospect of getting in to Kansas than I was about Ohio. I left KSU wanting to get into KSU, whereas I left Ohio wanting to get in to vet school. (I hope EllieG isn't going to read this!) It could be too that OSU was my first acceptance, and now that I am in I can focus more on picking the right school.

It looks like the last batch of acceptances got to them exactly a week after they interviewed (if they interviewed on Sat), so I'm not going to hold my breath until like Friday maybe.

Dr Elmore told me "first week of Feb at the latest, if not earlier." Not to stress anyone out unnecessarily, but I'm hanging onto the "if not earlier." lol

Keep in mind that that is when they mail them. Don't be like me and panic if the week goes by without getting your letter :)

Uff the waiting is killing me. I know it could be a rejection, but I NEED TO KNOW! I really liked Kansas when I was there. The students did an amazing job talking their school up.

I met another SDN'er today, we sat next to each other on the plane and talked for 2.5 hrs, it was the fastest flight of my life!!

I am still in awe over all of the coincidences of that day. My and squibby were the only two potential students who went on our tour, we had the same interviewers, we found out we were on the same flight, and then we happened to be sitting next to each other!

I haven't had a chance to check SDN since my interview, but after leaving KSU I definitely felt like it's a place I would be happy going to. I get more of a welcoming vibe from the students than I have at other schools. And every student I've talked to seems absolutely thrilled to be there. Not all schools have students who show so much excitement and happiness with where they are. I had no idea we could expect to hear from them so soon though!

I am still in awe over all of the coincidences of that day. My and squibby were the only two potential students who went on our tour, we had the same interviewers, we found out we were on the same flight, and then we happened to be sitting next to each other!

Yay for cool coincidences!

[/QUOTE]I haven't had a chance to check SDN since my interview, but after leaving KSU I definitely felt like it's a place I would be happy going to. I get more of a welcoming vibe from the students than I have at other schools. And every student I've talked to seems absolutely thrilled to be there. Not all schools have students who show so much excitement and happiness with where they are. [/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree.

I can feel the panic creeping up on me. Happy Monday, y'all.
I can't decide if its better or worse that my snail mail goes to my Dad's house. Better because I have no mailbox to stalk. Worse because my dad will be opening the letter....

GOOD LUCK:luck:

no letters for Georgia today :\

I can feel the panic creeping up on me. Happy Monday, y'all.
I can't decide if its better or worse that my snail mail goes to my Dad's house. Better because I have no mailbox to stalk. Worse because my dad will be opening the letter....

GOOD LUCK:luck:

None for Texas! I assaulted the postman yesterday when I saw him coming, and I think he's scared of me now :oops:

None for Texas! I assaulted the postman yesterday when I saw him coming, and I think he's scared of me now :oops:

It's ok. Today is the first day that I will actually aggressively be assaulting the postman. It is now OFFICIALLY the 1st week of February. ;)

Nothing here in CA today.

Whyyyyy did I choose to stay in the midwest??

Nothing in Texas :(

I'm trying to be patient, but it's tough! Looks like on last year's acceptance thread that people didn't hear until the second week of February, so I hope that they meant it when they said "first week of February" for this year!

Nothing in Texas :(

I'm trying to be patient, but it's tough! Looks like on last year's acceptance thread that people didn't hear until the second week of February, so I hope that they meant it when they said "first week of February" for this year!

You know, I'm starting to think they said they are mailing them this week, not that we should get them this week.

You know, I'm starting to think they said they are mailing them this week, not that we should get them this week.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Especially after I looked at last year's thread.

If I remember correctly, they said that they will attempt to have all letters signed and mailed by the first. So I wouldn't start expecting anything until the end of this week/into next week. Although I would not complain if they come earlier than that. ;)

I remember them telling us that the letters would be mailed on February 1st so that we should expect a letter in the mailbox during the "first week of February". So the first letters I would assume would arrive tomorrow at the earliest. But then again I got my letter a week later so who knows what they'll really be doing...:rolleyes:

Good luck everyone!!! :D

I'm a wreck, I have been checking my mail with nervousness ever since the interview ended about a month ago! I don't know when the letters will reach us, but good luck to everyone who interviewed.

I hate to bring bad news, but I have heard that because of the bad storms around the area that mail service has been cancelled over the last couple of days and that the school has been closed for the last couple of days. If that is the truth, chances are we probably won't be receiving letters until next week at the earliest. I hope its not because I am dying to know whether I got an acceptance or not, but I am keeping it in the back of my mind so I don't freak out as much as each day without a letter passes.

ETA: The weather looks better today, but I had heard on the news a day or two ago that the school had been closed because of ice. So, crossing fingers they were able to get the letters mailed out yesterday. Good Luck everyone!

I hate to bring bad news, but I have heard that because of the bad storms around the area that mail service has been cancelled over the last couple of days and that the school has been closed for the last couple of days. If that is the truth, chances are we probably won't be receiving letters until next week at the earliest. I hope its not because I am dying to know whether I got an acceptance or not, but I am keeping it in the back of my mind so I don't freak out as much as each day without a letter passes.

ETA: The weather looks better today, but I had heard on the news a day or two ago that the school had been closed because of ice. So, crossing fingers they were able to get the letters mailed out yesterday. Good Luck everyone!

DVMDream is right... KSU was closed Monday and Tuesday due to some snow and ice. Although I got mail on both days here in KS so I don't think the mail system was the issue. I just don't think any administration came in those two days to work on anything. Good luck everyone and hopefully you'll get your letters today or tomorrow!

DVMDream is right... KSU was closed Monday and Tuesday due to some snow and ice. Although I got mail on both days here in KS so I don't think the mail system was the issue. I just don't think any administration came in those two days to work on anything. Good luck everyone and hopefully you'll get your letters today or tomorrow!

*sigh* The mail actually came early today, but again, nothing. Here's to next week!

Don't forget Saturday!!

Of course. The Saturday mailman will get his fair share of stalking, I'm just expecting to be one of the last out here in CA, so since nobody else has heard I'm not expecting on until next week now.

just wanted to let you guys know that - has received their letters. check your mail!

Last edited:
I mean crap as in, great, now I'm nervous.

What was the news?

alternate, thanks for asking :)

good luck to you! try not to stress too much and nearly tear the letter along with the envelope when opening it :laugh: