Kansas c/o 2016

Started by LittleWiz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try not to be devastated. The wait list is far better than what it could have been. You have come so far already out of the 1400 apps I think they said they went through this year. And I think last year they went through the entire wait-list, correct me if I am wrong.

Just hang in there! It is just another waiting game, like the one we have all been in since October.

Anyways, here is the contact info for Dr. Elmore's office (I keep wanting to call him Dr. Elrond. I am such a book nerd)


Associate Dean for Admissions
College of Veterinary Medicine
101 Trotter Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-5601
785-532-5660
Web page: http://www.vet.k-state.edu
E-mail: [email protected]



​
 
thanks so much for the information and the pep talk, just sent him an e-mail. Was he pretty quick to respond?

Also, not to be a total buzz kill, but one of the student ambassadors I spoke to said that in her class (I believe she was a 3rd year), they didn't even get to the alternate list because the people who chose to attend K State even exceeded the number of places available so they needed to expand the class by 5-6 students. Again, hoping this is NOT the case with us, I'd love to attend KState in the fall.

Here's hoping!!!:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear about you waitlisters 🙁 Keep your heads up!

I did love KSU, but to justify the extra $ over OSU or Mizzou would be difficult, so I will probably be declining my seat. Haven't made a final decision yet. But that's one (probable) seat for you OOSers!
 
He responded in about a day and a half I think. He is also usually in his office, but wasn't when I called.
You gave me the oompf I needed to contact him, so thanks!! Good luck to all the waitlisters!! Don't forget, its not a no, its a maybe or hopefully a most likely!! :luck:
 
Sorry to hear about you waitlisters 🙁 Keep your heads up!

I did love KSU, but to justify the extra $ over OSU or Mizzou would be difficult, so I will probably be declining my seat. Haven't made a final decision yet. But that's one (probable) seat for you OOSers!


Isn't OSU more expensive? I mean its nearly 65,000 for the first year but then its only goes down to about 30,000-40,000 when you get residency. I feel like it would even out with the 45,000/year for kansas. or is that what you are saying?
 
Isn't OSU more expensive? I mean its nearly 65,000 for the first year but then its only goes down to about 30,000-40,000 when you get residency. I feel like it would even out with the 45,000/year for kansas. or is that what you are saying?

My calculations put the total COA for OSU at 223k and the total COA for Kansas at 261k.

I'm speaking to the 40k difference between the 2 schools.

Although, I'm really confused, because the total COA for residents for OSU is listed as 230k. I need to look into this more, brb...




Okay, I used this document from OSU's website. http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/education/dvmProgram/incomingClass/budgetBreakdown.pdf

3x IS COA + 1x OOS COA (assuming residency) = (3 x 48,093) + (1 x 81,564) = 226k

I'm not sure where justavet got his/her numbers from...maybe with projected tuition increases? I don't think it would = 40k worth of tuition increases, however, over 4 years.
 
Last edited:
My calculations put the total COA for OSU at 223k and the total COA for Kansas at 261k.

I'm speaking to the 40k difference between the 2 schools.

Although, I'm really confused, because the total COA for residents for OSU is listed as 230k. I need to look into this more, brb...




Okay, I used this document from OSU's website. http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/education/dvmProgram/incomingClass/budgetBreakdown.pdf

3x IS COA + 1x OOS COA (assuming residency) = (3 x 48,093) + (1 x 81,564) = 226k

I'm not sure where justavet got his/her numbers from...maybe with projected tuition increases? I don't think it would = 40k worth of tuition increases, however, over 4 years.

I can't find a succinct breakdown of KSU's COA (they break things down by credit on their website...very confusing).

Does anyone have a link that projects total COA for IS/OOS?

The Kansas letter quoted tuition/fees as 44214/yr for OOS. From their website (http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/expenses.htm), they estimate other living expenses to be about 14000 per year. That would make the total to be ~234k. COA comparatively for Ohio was 85755 for OOS according to the booklet they gave out at the interview, then it goes down to 50616 for residents. so in total that's ~238k. So all in all it's really close to the same price I think, with KSU coming out about 4k cheaper overall but I'm sure if you cut some living expenses at OSU you could make it equal.
 
The Kansas letter quoted tuition/fees as 44214/yr for OOS. From their website (http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/expenses.htm), they estimate other living expenses to be about 14000 per year. That would make the total to be ~234k. Tuition and fees comparatively for Ohio was 85755 for OOS according to the booklet they gave out at the interview, then it goes down to 50616 for residents. so in total that's ~238k. So all in all it's really close to the same price I think, with KSU coming out about 4k cheaper overall but I'm sure if you cut some living expenses at OSU you could make it equal.


Hmm thanks for the info mullets!
 
The numbers seem nauseating right now either way! But its our dream right guyss!!
 
I just wanted to quickly say that COA for OSU and KSU is pretty close and probably won't matter in the big scheme of things. AND I have strong positive feelings that the waitlist is going to move this year. The third year students were an anomaly concerning class size. They(KSU CVM) had to honor thier invites that year, but basically all the people they initially offered positions to accepted!
 
I was wondering what they do if that happens, its good to know they still honor it. I dont see another option.
 
I am sending my decline out in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully one of you guys can have that seat! Best of luck, waitlisters!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my email from Dr. Elmore. He said they usually don't start calling people until after the 4/15 deadline... so here's to waiting some more. Ah well.
 
I'm a 3rd year and in our class they went through the entire waitlist plus called rejected people. It is the current second year class where they over accepted. It varies each year! Good luck! I was one of the waitlisted people so i know how you all feel!
 
I'm a 3rd year and in our class they went through the entire waitlist plus called rejected people. It is the current second year class where they over accepted. It varies each year! Good luck! I was one of the waitlisted people so i know how you all feel!

Good grief I would have died and gone to heaven if Kansas calls rejected people (that's me!) this year. However, I will not get my hopes up! 🙄 How many rejected people did they call, if you know?
 
I'm a 3rd year and in our class they went through the entire waitlist plus called rejected people. It is the current second year class where they over accepted. It varies each year! Good luck! I was one of the waitlisted people so i know how you all feel!
OOPS! Got my info twisted....I meant the second year class😳
 
Hey all! I was just accepted at my IS so I am declining my offer for K-state. Hopefully one of you waitlisters will get my spot. Goodluck, don't give up hope! 🙂
 
Thanks for letting us know Happy Dance!!! That's great that you've been accepted at your IS! I'm jealous of the money you're saving 😉
 
Hi everyone! I stumbled upon this website the other day and decided to join to meet some future classmates! Anyone for sure attending KSU this fall?? I'm so excited to meet everyone! :hello:
 
Thanks Mixedvet! I know its not a rejection and the waitlist could still move this year. KSU was the first admissions letter I got and it was one of my top choices even though I'm an OOS. Staying positive! 🙂
 
I'm still waiting on my IS, but if they are not a yes I'm 90% sure I'll be attending Minnesota so there will be another OOS spot opening up for Kansas 🙂
 
Hi everyone! I stumbled upon this website the other day and decided to join to meet some future classmates! Anyone for sure attending KSU this fall?? I'm so excited to meet everyone! :hello:

Meeee! I sent in my deposit over a month ago, and went to Manhattan last weekend to find a place to live and a barn for my horse. So excited! If anyone is looking for a great apartment, I signed at the Tecumseh lofts - it's 0.7 miles from the vet school and in a really quiet area. They still have a few available for August 1st. Can't wait to meet everybody!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any 3rd or 4th year student who know about international externships for 4th year rotations? I forget where I heard about this, but somewhere has a program where you could go to thailand and work with elephants, that would be my dream!! I remember Dr. Elmore saying you just tell them where you want to go and they set it up but I am wondering if there are any limitations or if anyone has more information?
 
Are there any 3rd or 4th year student who know about international externships for 4th year rotations? I forget where I heard about this, but somewhere has a program where you could go to thailand and work with elephants, that would be my dream!! I remember Dr. Elmore saying you just tell them where you want to go and they set it up but I am wondering if there are any limitations or if anyone has more information?

I remember them saying "as long as you stay on this planet" lol. The mentor you do your externship with just has to meet certain requirements. They said they don't necessarily have to be a D.V.M. if they are considered an expert in their field. I would call and ask directly if you want more specifics... or maybe someone else has more info...?
 
First off. Congrats to those who are accepted and good luck to those hoping for a spot from the wait list. I was in the early boat last year, so I had plenty of time to convince myself my acceptance letter was a hoax...but suffice it to say I've enjoyed my first year.

I'm posting here to let you future c/o 2016 folks out there know my current apartment will be available starting May 1st. It's a 2BD, 1BR, pet friendly basement apartment in a house about a mile west of campus in a quiet neighborhood. I will be moving upstairs to take over the rest of my landlord's house so, in effect, I'll be your upstairs neighbor. If you want more details, please PM me and I'll let you know.

Also I know it's expensive to travel out here, but I HIGHLY recommend you don't rent an apartment sight unseen. It definitely helps to see the apartment and make sure the faucets work and the walls don't smell like cat urine.
 
Question: what is the typical price range for living somewhere really close to the actual vet school? really close as in walking distance <15min.. and does anyone have any recommendations on places with good deals? And not that I'm arachnophobic or anything, but are brown recluses a problem at all in these living places? lol.. and @zambam89 how much were the tecumseh lofts? That place sounds pretty ideal. I'm probably driving over from Cali during July to find a place. Can't wait to meet everyone either! 🙂 Good luck to everyone on the waitlist too! I'm rooting for ya'll! 😛
 
Oh, and just as a side note, the only reason why I ask about the brown recluse is because my friend showed me this link on reddit with a dude who cut out half of his stomach fat because of a brown recluse bite, and I was trippin out so I start reading up on it and I see this link.. "In Kansas, the brown recluse is an extremely common house spider." lolll http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/recluse.html
 
Question: what is the typical price range for living somewhere really close to the actual vet school? really close as in walking distance <15min.. and does anyone have any recommendations on places with good deals? And not that I'm arachnophobic or anything, but are brown recluses a problem at all in these living places? lol.. and @zambam89 how much were the tecumseh lofts? That place sounds pretty ideal. I'm probably driving over from Cali during July to find a place. Can't wait to meet everyone either! 🙂 Good luck to everyone on the waitlist too! I'm rooting for ya'll! 😛

Here is the link to the company that owns Tecumseh lofts - they have a bunch of other places that are really nice too. It's a little more expensive to live in a 1 bedroom, of course, but for me it is worth it the first year because they didn't have any restrictions on my dog, and it's so close to class. Be sure to call them (not email) - they get really busy and sometimes are tough to get a hold of.

http://www.capstone3d.com/index.php?id=23

And I have NO idea about the spiders. Haha but I hope that's not a problem, or at least in the newer places it probably isn't.
 
Here is the link to the company that owns Tecumseh lofts - they have a bunch of other places that are really nice too. It's a little more expensive to live in a 1 bedroom, of course, but for me it is worth it the first year because they didn't have any restrictions on my dog, and it's so close to class. Be sure to call them (not email) - they get really busy and sometimes are tough to get a hold of.

http://www.capstone3d.com/index.php?id=23

And I have NO idea about the spiders. Haha but I hope that's not a problem, or at least in the newer places it probably isn't.
Thanks for the link zambam89. I wish some of the places had more pictures, but it still really helped.

And btw, to anyone who knows, how early should you "claim" a living spot? (before the good ones are all taken). I know there's probably a lot of KSU undergrads who probably will be competing for spots as well.

**EDIT** deleted that link.. found somewhere else to live 🙂
 
Last edited:
And btw, to anyone who knows, how early should you "claim" a living spot? (before the good ones are all taken). I know there's probably a lot of KSU undergrads who probably will be competing for spots as well.

I know a couple people who went to K State as undergrads, and they all said that Manhattan operates like any college town - most good places are signed by about April. They especially noted that the pet friendly places go first. So, go as soon as you can! And based on my experience, do NOT sign a place without seeing it. I saw a bunch of really, really dumpy places. Capstone was the only company that had consistently well-maintained units. I'm sure there are other good companies, too, but beware that there are lots of slumlords in Manhattan.
 
Hey everyone...

I just got into my IS.. so I'll be declining my spot pretty soon. Hopefully that will help those waitlisted! Good Luck!!
 
Bet this doesn't hurt so bad anymore after your acceptance today huh? 😀

LOL...nope not anymore 😀 I literally feel soooo much better that I got accepted 🙂

Speaking of which, I got in to my IS school so I should be declining my spot on the waitlist soon. That should help move some of y'all up on the list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to send in my intent to go to kansas next year very soon! Im so excited but now comes the time to find housing in manhattan while im here in Davis..... Can anyone point me in a good direction?? My boyfriend and I are hoping to live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment or townhouse. If anyone knows of any good ones to look into please help us!! Preferably, if you know of any managements or properties to look up specifically, the online "apartment-rating" websites seem so limited and are difficult to use. Thanks!
 
Look up Capstone 3D management. I rented an apartment from them - really nice places and well maintained.
 
Hey all. I have been creeping on here for awhile. I just accepted my offer to KSU. I got a one bedroom apartment at the chase manhattan apartments. Pretty close to school and reasonably priced. I really like the apartment and has cute balcony. Allows pets under 35. I know they only had a few one bedrooms left as of a week or two ago, but first management is the company and they have multiple buildings that are very nice and good price. Check out their website. Varies from one bedrooms to four I believe.
 
So I am thinking about signing a lease at the Grand Mere apartments, a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom for $1100/month. I will be sharing it with my boyfriend, so I will be paying $550/month plus utilities. I'm starting to get worried that that might be a little more than the loans allow for. Do any current student know if its too much? Also, does anyone know anything about those apartments? They are kind of on the outskirts of town, which could be a hassle or kind of nice?