Kansas c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am thinking about signing a lease at the Grand Mere apartments, a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom for $1100/month. I will be sharing it with my boyfriend, so I will be paying $550/month plus utilities. I'm starting to get worried that that might be a little more than the loans allow for. Do any current student know if its too much? Also, does anyone know anything about those apartments? They are kind of on the outskirts of town, which could be a hassle or kind of nice?

I currently pay $475/month plus utilities and it's fine. You can get more loans if you need them. If you submit your budget to Larry Moeder in the financial aid office he will help you.

I love this time of year on Student Doctor, good luck to everyone! I've been in Manhattan for 3 years now and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Just let me know.

Kristyn

Members don't see this ad.

I currently pay $475/month plus utilities and it's fine. You can get more loans if you need them. If you submit your budget to Larry Moeder in the financial aid office he will help you.

I love this time of year on Student Doctor, good luck to everyone! I've been in Manhattan for 3 years now and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Just let me know.

Kristyn

Thanks so much! I was hoping you or someone else living in Manhattan could answer this: I am looking at a duplex on northfield circle near mission ave, and I noticed it looks like it is completely across town from say the grocery store and target, normal places I will be needing to go regularly. I am wondering what time frame does it take to get across town in Manhattan, here in Davis, 5 miles could turn into half an hour easily!

Members don't see this ad :)
Moosegp-you'll be fine, lots of vet students actually live in that area because it is so close to the vet school. And on the east side of town off of Tuttle Creek is everything you need as well-a couple groceries stores, walmart, bed bath and beyond, petco, the mall, most of the restaurants.

Yes, target is on the far southwest corner of town opposite from you, but you could get there in 10-15 minutes (as long as it's not right at 5 pm or during heavy traffic during a football game or something like that)

Thanks so much! I was hoping you or someone else living in Manhattan could answer this: I am looking at a duplex on northfield circle near mission ave, and I noticed it looks like it is completely across town from say the grocery store and target, normal places I will be needing to go regularly. I am wondering what time frame does it take to get across town in Manhattan, here in Davis, 5 miles could turn into half an hour easily!

Rugby chick is right. A ton of vet students live in that area. It won't take long to run errands.

Has anyone rented from McCullough Development (MDI properties) or know how to check references. I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions im just so nervous about signing a lease while I'm all the way in California but I dont have the time or money to get over there until its time to move in. Thanks!

Hey moosegp. I'm also in the same boat as you, so don't sweat it lol. I'm also from cali and I have to just make a judgement call for living based on word of mouth. Hope you get info on whatever you're looking into soon! Idk if you'd be interested in it but I'm looking at the Jardine apartments. It looks really convenient because it's right next to campus.

If you're looking at the jardine apartments I would fill out an application immediately and get your your student id number which you will need because it's university housing. I was looking at them as well back in January and when I called to ask about them, there was a huge wait list and the lady told me to make other arrangements because it wasn't likely I would get one. I'm not sure if the traditional ones are available, but all the renovated/highly renovated/ new construction apartments had wait lists. Or so I was told. I would call first so you don't waste $30 on the app fee like I did just to be told I basically had no chance at getting the apartments I wanted. It was such a bummer because they are so close to the school and relatively cheap.

Ah. I thought so.. Ahh I hope I get a spot! Haha I was originally looking at the studios, but I'm guessing that's not going to fly too well..

ANYWAYS. BIG NEWS Y'ALL:

So Applejacks90 and I took the liberty to organize a facebook group for the class of 2016. Please feel free to join it and.. meet us! :) Everyone affiliated with our class and/or any oldies who want to bestow upon us your experience and knowledge are welcome to join! :rolleyes: And let us know if you're pretty active on facebook because we'll probably make you an admin!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/138894829572361/ <---- JOIN NOW!

If you're looking at the jardine apartments I would fill out an application immediately and get your your student id number which you will need because it's university housing. I was looking at them as well back in January and when I called to ask about them, there was a huge wait list and the lady told me to make other arrangements because it wasn't likely I would get one. I'm not sure if the traditional ones are available, but all the renovated/highly renovated/ new construction apartments had wait lists. Or so I was told. I would call first so you don't waste $30 on the app fee like I did just to be told I basically had no chance at getting the apartments I wanted. It was such a bummer because they are so close to the school and relatively cheap.

Thanks for starting that! I just sent my request to join the group (Kerri).

Hey moosegp. I'm also in the same boat as you, so don't sweat it lol. I'm also from cali and I have to just make a judgement call for living based on word of mouth. Hope you get info on whatever you're looking into soon! Idk if you'd be interested in it but I'm looking at the Jardine apartments. It looks really convenient because it's right next to campus.

I remember seeing those apartments when I interviewed, but I figured they were pretty expensive. The closer to campus usually the more expensive it will be.

I signed a lease with MDI properties, you should check out their website (mdiproperties.com). They have a lot of properties, studio and one bedroom places.

I will be in an apartment on North 4th St, pretty much right next to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Does anyone know anything about that part of town??

Oh I was also wondering if current vet students could talk about how the required laptops (tablets?). Do you we need to order them or its more that they give them to us when we start school? Is the cost included in tuition?

Also, is anyone planning on getting their rabies vaccines soon or more when school starts and they give us more information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just made my decision last night- Kansas here I come!! :)

They will give you the laptop during orientation. They will basically tell you everything you need to know during orientation - you don't really need to worry about anything related to the school or classes. You will get so much info the first 3 days! As far as the Rabies vaccines - I personally got them during summer because my insurance paid for them all. You can wait and get them here though.

and yes - laptop cost is included in tuition

They will give you the laptop during orientation. They will basically tell you everything you need to know during orientation - you don't really need to worry about anything related to the school or classes. You will get so much info the first 3 days! As far as the Rabies vaccines - I personally got them during summer because my insurance paid for them all. You can wait and get them here though.

:thumbup: - This is exactly what I was going to say. They will also give you a back-up drive, so you don't even have to worry about that!

First off, congrats to the new class of 2016!

I am junior veterinary student at K-State and I am looking for roommates for this coming school year. I have a 5 bedroom, 2 bath house and I am looking to find 3 roommates. The house is completely renovated, has a large privacy fenced backyard, and is only 5 minutes from the school. Pets are negotiable depending on what you have. Rent is $400/month (utilities included). Send me a message if you are interested and want some more info

Cade Moses

Does anyone know what vet students do during their summer semesters?

Thanks!

Congrats Class of 2016!!! Can't wait to meet you all in just a few short months.

I am a soon to be senior (hopefully less than 4 short weeks from now). I am currently looking for a room mate for this coming school year and was wondering if you would be interested. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a fenced in back yard. I have it fully furnished except for the bedroom, the third room is currently being used as an office and has plenty of room for a second desk/ chair etc. You would have the main bathroom to yourself except we would have to share the shower. All appliances are already in the house including washer, dryer, dishwasher etc. Rent is $500 a month plus utilites. The house is located less than 5 min. from the school, close enough that you could ride your bike if desired. Its a nice neighborhood and the neighbors are quiet.
Pets are negotiable (no cats), we did have 2 dogs in the house and the land lord did not make us pay a pet fee as long as the pets were cleaned up after. I have a small 45lb female lab, but she is very quite never barks and has not been a problem to my room mate.
The Landlord's take care of the yard, and there is a drive way to park in or there is street parking as well.
Also as a perk I have 90% of the books for 1st-3rd year and you would be more then welcome to borrow them if you didn't want to purchase them all.

Let me know if you are intrested via email and I can get you any additional information. --> [email protected]

Good luck and see you all in August

Hi guys! I think I'm going to get a 2 bedroom apartment at University Crossing for next year and I'm looking for a roommate. Please message me if you're interested :)

Has anyone heard about their financial aid packages or know when we should hear about it?

Has anyone heard about their financial aid packages or know when we should hear about it?

I received my financial aid award two days ago. A whopping $65,198 for out of state.

Also, I've been a long time lurker and have posted one other time I think. I figure it's about time I actually start posting!

Has anyone ever done the federal work-study to receive the aid available, and is there even enough time during your first year to do this? If so how many hours a week were you able to work?

Has anyone ever done the federal work-study to receive the aid available, and is there even enough time during your first year to do this? If so how many hours a week were you able to work?

There have been a select few who maintained part jobs while in vet school. I don't recommend it, especially not as you're getting started. There are some opportunities for work within the school once you get settled such as Equine Emergency team, library assistant, or a rep for something like Hill's or Purina. I would come in, get used to your schedule and then sign up for those opportunities as they come up. You'll understand better what you can handle after you get started.

Hey guys, for those of you accepted off the waitlist or in general, have you received any info from KSU about your financial aid award? if so, how long after your acceptance? Is anyone done with loan applications etc? I'm really lost about this process, any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

I wasn't accepted off the waitlist and let them know a long time ago that I was going to attend. I think the first thing that happened was I got a letter in the mail to set up an eID with my wildcat ID and set up what's called an ISIS account where you can see your reward. It will also come in the mail. Maybe you should give them a call and they can give you your wildcat ID so you can get a start on it! :) hope this helps

Hello Class of 2016! First, a big congratulations to all of you for making it.

I am a senior veterinary student looking for 1 additional roommate for this coming year. The room is available now, but I can hold if until August if you are not moving until then. I have one other male (non-vet student) roommate, and there is a female 1st year vet student moving in in August.

The house is a 5 bedroom, 2 bath home that has been completely remodeled over the past few years. The available room is quite large, and has 2 large closets with additional overhead storage. Dishwasher, washer, dryer, 2 refrigerators, garage and large shed for storage. Everything other than the bedroom is completely furnished, but there is room for more if you have your own furniture you want to bring. The house also has a very large, privacy fenced backyard. Rent is $400/month (utilities, cable, and internet included). Pets are negotiable. Send me an email for more information or photos.

Cade Moses
[email protected]

Has anyone decided on electives yet? Just got my packet a couple days ago. Very excited to have some more information about everything :)

I'm really interested in the Veterinary Medical Language Cognates and Etymology and Practicing Veterinary Medicine in a Multicultural Society electives. For the last unit, I'm deciding between 3D Imaging Anatomy of the Dog and History of Veterinary Medicine.

A lot of upperclassmen are saying how after exams on Fridays, most people won't want to stay for another class.

What are you thinking of taking? Does anyone have any recommendations for electives? :)

Last edited:
I am really struggling with deciding which electives to take. Anyone have any idea what they want to take? I'm trying to take into consideration the fact that I will not want to have class after exams on Friday, but 3-D imaging anatomy of the dog and cognates and etymology are two of the electives I am interested in. Anybody know if they are worth it? Any thoughts on Bovine Theriogenology and Practical Use & Interpretation of Vet Sci Literature? Those are the four I THINK I want to take, but I can't make up my mind.

I picked my electives!!
history of vet med
vet med lang cognate and etymology
and practical use and interpretation pf vet scientific lit
now I just need to find somewhere to live lol

Does anyone know of things we need first year that may be cheaper to order through the vet clinic I work at before I leave? I know a girl that went to UPenn from our clinic last year ordered a bunch of things like exam gloves, dissection kit, etc...I want to make sure I take full advantage of those benefits before I leave. Also, anyone know if we get any kind of discounts with food from Hills or such? My dog has some urinary issues so she's on a prescription diet that I get for a reduced cost right now while working at the clinic, but once I leave, that discount is gone and the food is expensive.

I just declined my seat for the c/o 2016. I wish you guys the best!!!! It truly breaks my heart that I won't be attending Kansas State this fall. :cry:

Just found out yesterday that I will be heading to KSU!!! Really excited. Can't wait to meet you all.

Hello all! I just found out today that I was accepted to KSU!! It is extremely short notice...and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on where to live? I know classes start on Monday, so I need to get everything together ASAP. Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Ttras, I am in desperate need of a room mate! My last one ended up not working out on short notice. PM me if you are interested! I live less than a mile from the school in a two bedroom.