Kansas c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I know this is a lot to ask, but does anyone know how I can get my hands on a blank supplemental application from this cycle. I printed mine off and mailed it...I could have sworn that I saved the pdf, now I cannot find it!!!! Interviewing this weekend! any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :scared:

I have a PDF of the supplemental (blank) saved to my hard disk. PM me and I can email it to you no problem. I interviewed on the 7th and honestly it's a very laid back process. Just a word of caution though: the questions will be tailored to your potential as a future vet so you can expect some tough punches to be pulled if you're a smartypants. I was asked in a row (as an example):

- Tell us about yourself
- Why research / get a DVM + PhD
-Define maturity
-Define professionalism
-Animal rights vs welfare
-Use of animals in research
-A time I demonstrated leadership

Suggest utilizing this feedback to help you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am embarassed to say I just found the forum! I didn't know I had so many people to freak out with! I am interviewing at KSU on the 21st and staying for the pizza party. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Good luck everyone and fingers crossed!:xf:

Welcome! and good luck with the interview!

Does anyone know if the acceptance letters come in a big envelope or should we expect skinny envelopes for all 3 ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the acceptance letters come in a big envelope or should we expect skinny envelopes for all 3 ?
Mine was a skinny letter....the packet came later.

I just got my acceptance letter. I'm am beyond excited. I was surprised to even have an interview anywhere. I'm still waiting on my IS, but I'd be so excited to go to K-State. Good luck to everyone waiting!!

:soexcited::clap::highfive::claps::banana::biglove:

^^ That about sums it up. haha

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! What a start to a new year :)

Does anyone know if there will be shuttle services provided from the MHK airport to hotels other than the Clarion Hotel or the Holiday Inn?

I stayed at the Quality Inn ( a bit of a misnomer as it's pretty much right on top of a semi-busy freight rail line) and was able to get rides as needed.

Also got notice from home that acceptance letter arrived in mail today. Quick turn around given the timeline they noted at the pizza party. Good luck to all others interviewing still!

@ Remy:
The veterinary school's hospitality was phenomenal! I am sure if you just called the phone number at the bottom of your invite email, they would taxi you to/from any of the Manhattan hotels. I stayed at the Clarion when I interviewed and the shuttles were on time. When I wanted to go back to my hotel after interviewing, they gave me a ride almost immediately.
As a side note: the associate dean was at the Manhattan airport at 10 pm offering rides to any of the hotels for students. Like I said, the hospitality was amazing!

Now just let me in please! :D

I just got my acceptance letter. I'm am beyond excited. I was surprised to even have an interview anywhere. I'm still waiting on my IS, but I'd be so excited to go to K-State. Good luck to everyone waiting!!

:soexcited::clap::highfive::claps::banana::biglove:

^^ That about sums it up. haha
Bearkat17, When did you interview? That does seem quick!

Bearkat17, When did you interview? That does seem quick!

I interviewed Jan. 7th... It surprised me how fast it was... I wasn't expecting anything until February.

Well congrats, bearkat17, Im going this sat, lets hope I get good news that quick!

Well congrats, bearkat17, Im going this sat, lets hope I get good news that quick!
Good luck!! The interview was great and the students and staff are really nice. I hope you hear great news :)

Hi I'm interviewing at Kansas this weekend OOS which I am super excited about! I keep seeing on the interview feedback surverys that they are asking people why K-state. I have been trying to research some programs available to the students that would interest me, but haven't come up with much on their website. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding out more about what K-state offers. Or if you could tell me what you love about it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@ Brando:
I know it really helped me in answering that question to take the tour before your interview. They talk about their various programs and show you all the classrooms and facilities. Also first year students hang out in the hospitality room all day and you can ask them what they like about the school :)

@ Brando:
I know it really helped me in answering that question to take the tour before your interview. They talk about their various programs and show you all the classrooms and facilities. Also first year students hang out in the hospitality room all day and you can ask them what they like about the school :)
Definitely agree with jushorsinaround. My interview was later in the day on a Saturday, so I took the tour and spent a lot of time talking with the student ambassadors. They provided a wealth of information and I learned a great deal from the tour. I would definitely suggest doing that beforehand. It also provides opportunity for you to think of topics or questions you might like to ask your interviewers.

This is what I took away from my weekend at K-state:
I love that I would get to pick electives. While I already know what I want to focus in as a veterinary student, I still want options to explore other areas that I would not get the chance to if I was involved in a school that does tracking. I also really like the 3 mentorships you must complete. Again, it gives you opportunities to explore other areas of veterinary medicine while giving a chance to take time in the specialized area I like.

And biggest plus for me: the faculty and students. Seriously. I have never had an experience at a veterinary school as great as the one I had at Kansas. Everyone is extremely nice, and genuinely interested and informative. That was honestly the biggest positive for me.

Hey Bismarck, I have completely forgotten about the supplemental application. What's on it?

Question #2: is anyone going to their KSU interview all by their lonesome or is everyone bring a morale-boosting buddy?

Last edited:
Hey Bismarck, I have completely forgotten about the supplemental application. What's on it?

Question #2: is anyone going to their KSU interview all by their lonesome or is everyone bring a morale-boosting buddy?

Just your basic info was one it, a spot for classes you took, but no essays. I am traveling by myself so if you find me we can just be each other's "morale-boosting buddy" ;) I also have an extra bed in my hotel room if anyone is extremely poor like me and wants to share :D

Another reason to go to KSU:
Look at our club list - long and diverse. You can actually be in something you want rather than settling for a club that encompasses 30 fields. Its a great chance to network with both upperclassmen and faculty that you may be dealing with in the future. It also allows many students to hold offices if they wish to be that involved.

Has anyone else who interviewed the weekend of the 7th not heard anything? I know a lot of people got accepted this week and they have interviews this weekend but I'm starting to get nervous...I loved Kansas and I want an acceptance!! I thought my interview went pretty well...

Has anyone else who interviewed the weekend of the 7th not heard anything? I know a lot of people got accepted this week and they have interviews this weekend but I'm starting to get nervous...I loved Kansas and I want an acceptance!! I thought my interview went pretty well...

Me. I have not heard anything yet; my mail here is sloooow though. I am hoping for something today or tomorrow, but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

Me. I have not heard anything yet; my mail here is sloooow though. I am hoping for something today or tomorrow, but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

me too :(

I can say that it took me a little bit to get my acceptance letter. I think they sent it 2 weeks after the interview and it took another 7days for it to get to California by snail mail so don't give up. And to those coming this weekend good luck and safe travels.

@ Brando:

Thank you so much jushorsinaround, katie8 and jesskb. Those are awesome suggestions. I can't believe my interview is this weekend, I hope I'm ready!! Good luck to everyone else interviewing!! I'll be there alone so I'll be looking to make friends :)

I am also going to be alone at the interview extravaganza weekend, it was too expensive to bring anyone else along :(.
vacameancow, emiloo, are you two going this weekend (1/21)? If so, see you there and good luck!:luck:

I am also going to be alone at the interview extravaganza weekend, it was too expensive to bring anyone else along :(.
vacameancow, emiloo, are you two going this weekend (1/21)? If so, see you there and good luck!:luck:

Yep, I'll be there! :luck:

Hi everyone!

My first post on SDN will be a happy one - I have officially decided to accept my offer of admission at K-State! Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in August :)

For those of you who are still waiting, here is how the process went for me - interviewed on 12/19, out-of-state applicant, and got snail mail acceptance letter on 1/4 (it was only a few pieces of paper so the envelope looks skinny, but don't worry!)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I talked to Janel on Tuesday because I haven't heard either (interview was 12/18). She said that they've already sent a few acceptances but that most people will hear by the first week of February. So don't lose hope yet!

Sooooo is anyone stuck in New England and unable to fly out to Kansas like me? Worst luck ever!!

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!! Ya'll are gonna rock this!! :cool:

hope to see everyone there at the pizza party :)

good luck this weekend!

Sooooo is anyone stuck in New England and unable to fly out to Kansas like me? Worst luck ever!!

It was nice to meet you today Patho... sorry it was under such crappy circumstances... I've been thinking about you, hoping you made it on time to the interview! Give me a call or text if you need anything!

Made it to Kansas! Can't believe how much my hotel ended up costing me with tax... YUCK! Might be sleeping in the airport tomorrow night ;). Can't wait to meet everyone at the "pizza party"

I'm so excited for the pizza party tonight!!!! I hope to meet some of you there :) I'll be wearing a red argyle or plain turquoise sweater (haven't decided yet...;)) and grey dress pants, so if you see me around, please come say hi! I'd love to meet some SDN'ers and hopefully future classmates! :D

It was nice to meet you today Patho... sorry it was under such crappy circumstances... I've been thinking about you, hoping you made it on time to the interview! Give me a call or text if you need anything!

Made it to Kansas! Can't believe how much my hotel ended up costing me with tax... YUCK! Might be sleeping in the airport tomorrow night ;). Can't wait to meet everyone at the "pizza party"
It was nice meeting you too!! How'd your interview go?!

It was nice meeting you too!! How'd your interview go?!

Not as well as I wanted it to. I left the room thinking of all the things I should have said instead, but oh well... I think we all do that lol. They questioned my low course load (~15hrs/ semester... didn't think that was terribly low), and I totally forgot to mention that I worked 30 hours a week at the same time lol... just stuff like that. Otherwise it wasn't too bad. You just never know I guess. I think I was one of the last to get invited to an interview so I'm not holding out. I wish you could have stuck around longer to check out the school and stuff, it was really awesome! Best of :luck:!

Not as well as I wanted it to. I left the room thinking of all the things I should have said instead, but oh well... I think we all do that lol. They questioned my low course load (~15hrs/ semester... didn't think that was terribly low), and I totally forgot to mention that I worked 30 hours a week at the same time lol... just stuff like that. Otherwise it wasn't too bad. You just never know I guess. I think I was one of the last to get invited to an interview so I'm not holding out. I wish you could have stuck around longer to check out the school and stuff, it was really awesome! Best of :luck:!

Ugh, I felt the same way. Like I could have clarified things more in a few places. One of the interviewers asked me what the most interesting thing I learned in biology was (since I'm a bio major) and I had talked about my Histology class, the neat stuff I learned and what I liked about it. Then the vet had asked me if I could tell the difference between skeletal and smooth muscle and I had said "Yes, I could!" and he just said.."Well, good for you." My brain is thinking crap, I should have explained the differences.......oh well. :(

Ugh, I felt the same way. Like I could have clarified things more in a few places. One of the interviewers asked me what the most interesting thing I learned in biology was (since I'm a bio major) and I had talked about my Histology class, the neat stuff I learned and what I liked about it. Then the vet had asked me if I could tell the difference between skeletal and smooth muscle and I had said "Yes, I could!" and he just said.."Well, good for you." My brain is thinking crap, I should have explained the differences.......oh well. :(

I did that too! :scared: I was way too nervous for my own good haha

:) hope we all did better than we thought we did! :xf:

Mine was stressful too everyone kept saying how much it was like a conversation ect. Mine was one question after another and every answer I gave was questioned and ask to elaborate more on. I was in there for 45 minutes so well over the allotted time. Not to sure if that's was bad or good. =\

Mine was stressful too everyone kept saying how much it was like a conversation ect. Mine was one question after another and every answer I gave was questioned and ask to elaborate more on. I was in there for 45 minutes so well over the allotted time. Not to sure if that's was bad or good. =\

:) I feel like that's a good sign though! It means that they were willing to get to know you better. I feel like mine was pretty short and the only reason it was around 25-30 minutes was because I asked them questions for half of that, then they cut me off and asked me to forward any questions to Dr. Elmore... :scared:

So I think your situation actually seems like they wanted to know more about you.

Mine went over too... we were in there for about 40 minutes. Don't worry, I'm sure you all did great!! Good luck!!

I wouldn't read into how long or short your interview was, unless it was short for very obvious reasons (silence, awkward shuffles, blatant looks of horror). My interview only lasted 25 minutes (at max) and I was accepted :). I walked out of another interview thinking it went horribly and ended up getting an offer from them as well! Just keep the faith, have confidence in what you said and know you did the best you could in the moment. Its natural to look back and analyze every detail. Chances are you did better than you think :)!!! Good news will come!!!

Thanks for the confidence-booster Katie. :) I hope you're right!!! Do you have any other interviews to go to still?

Thanks for the confidence-booster Katie. :) I hope you're right!!! Do you have any other interviews to go to still?
I have Minnesota next weekend! eeek!

Hey all!! Congrats to those who have been accepted!! I am a third year student here at KSUCVM and I love it here. I have a room available for rent in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home about a mile from campus. Myself and another 3rd year student live here and will remain here until graduation in May of 2013. Rent is 400/month plus 1/3 of utilities, and all appliances including washer/dryer/dishwasher are all available. No pets allowed, as 2 dogs already live here and have a fenced in backyard with a deck. The lease can start as early as May 1st or as late as August 1st, and it is a one year lease. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like more info or pics! Thanks

~Liz

I am OOS and I interviewed on January 7th and still have not heard anything either way. Is anybody else still waiting?? :confused:

I got my acceptance on Saturday and it was postmarked the 26th if that means anything.

I am OOS and I interviewed on January 7th and still have not heard anything either way. Is anybody else still waiting?? :confused:

I also interviewed on the 7th and have not heard anything. I live in Michigan....so I hoping the letter is just slow getting here? Yeah, I'll just keep telling myself that while I wait :)

Just got my acceptance in the mail today! I interviewed on 1/22.