Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha i'm so confused as to why this school has not received my primary yet. I was verified in May with all my transcripts. MCAT is unofficial but I know people that did not have their MCAT yet that received at least the confirmation email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
from what i could google, KCUMB does letter grades correct? The pdf's i found don't have dates
 
Can some of the current students share their experience with the new curriculum at KCUMB? If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Dubin(?) recently took a position at this med school, and I heard that he rolled out a new curriculum. What is your experience with the new curriculum?

I've rumors that the classes are a lot more challenging than it used to be. Do you think the curriculum changed for the better?
 
Can some of the current students share their experience with the new curriculum at KCUMB? If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Dubin(?) recently took a position at this med school, and I heard that he rolled out a new curriculum. What is your experience with the new curriculum?

I've rumors that the classes are a lot more challenging than it used to be. Do you think the curriculum changed for the better?
whaaaat
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can some of the current students share their experience with the new curriculum at KCUMB? If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Dubin(?) recently took a position at this med school, and I heard that he rolled out a new curriculum. What is your experience with the new curriculum?

I've rumors that the classes are a lot more challenging than it used to be. Do you think the curriculum changed for the better?

I have spoken to students who had to redo the first year and they said the new curriculum is better so far because you actually get to learn the foundation. Next year with the pathology we will get to make all the connections between the systems.

In the previous curriculum the exams had 3 questions from each lecture so some students wouldn't even bother reviewing some lectures knowing they had covered enough just to pass. Now there is no rule that you will get 3 questions per lecture. You might get a large amount of questions from one lecture and barely any from another. The only way to be prepared is to review everything.

Some of the rules have gotten a bit stricter.

Pathology basically consists of reading Robbins.

The exam questions have gotten harder. I've seen the type of questions they used in the previous curriculum. They were a bit more knowledge recall.

We slowly transitioned the OMM exams from basic recall to board style questions and the averages dropped ~10%.

I really hope you guys like to read.
 
I have spoken to students who had to redo the first year and they said the new curriculum is better so far because you actually get to learn the foundation. Next year with the pathology we will get to make all the connections between the systems.

In the previous curriculum the exams had 3 questions from each lecture so some students wouldn't even bother reviewing some lectures knowing they had covered enough just to pass. Now there is no rule that you will get 3 questions per lecture. You might get a large amount of questions from one lecture and barely any from another. The only way to be prepared is to review everything.

Some of the rules have gotten a bit stricter.

Pathology basically consists of reading Robbins.

The exam questions have gotten harder. I've seen the type of questions they used in the previous curriculum. They were a bit more knowledge recall.

We slowly transitioned the OMM exams from basic recall to board style questions and the averages dropped ~10%.

I really hope you guys like to read.

I won't be doing a smp, but do they still do automatic acceptances if you have a 25 mcat and a 3.8 GPa in the smp?

I have a friend who had those and he got into the 2019 grad class for kcumb without an interview. He says 25 - 30 or so others also got in without having to interview.
 
I know one poster has addressed some personal frustrations with rotations at KCUMB but I was wondering if anyone could speak to the general issue of whether rotations occur close to the preclinical site or whether students must move all over the place in 3rd and 4th year?
 
I know one poster has addressed some personal frustrations with rotations at KCUMB but I was wondering if anyone could speak to the general issue of whether rotations occur close to the preclinical site or whether students must move all over the place in 3rd and 4th year?
According to my brother who is about to start his M3 at KCUMB, there is a lottery-like selection for clinical sites. Most students will end up having to move away from the KC area. However, I believe that once you move to a location most of your rotations will be in that area. You can appeal to stay in the KC area if you have extenuating circumstances. However, there is no guarantee you will be granted the exception and the criteria of how they decide is not clear either.

The potential clinical locations are listed on their website: http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites/
 
According to my brother who is about to start his M3 at KCUMB, there is a lottery-like selection for clinical sites. Most students will end up having to move away from the KC area. However, I believe that once you move to a location most of your rotations will be in that area. You can appeal to stay in the KC area if you have extenuating circumstances. However, there is no guarantee you will be granted the exception and the criteria of how they decide is not clear either.

The potential clinical locations are listed on their website: http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites/
Thank you--your response is very informative.
 
Don't quote me on this but I believe 50-60% of students get to stay in KC area the rest go elsewhere. Also, find me a DO school that doesn't send half of there students away after the 2nd year?
 
When creating an account it asks for your AACOMAS ID and says it is 11 numbers, but mine is just 10 numbers???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the secondary and I can't even access it because they want an 11 digit AACOMAS ID number and the ID numbers are only 10 digits. Anyone know what the mystery digit is?
 
Yeah same, mine came up with the [Marketing] tag, so any outlook users you might want to check your quarantine/junk folder if your awaiting a secondary.
 
Just received the secondary and I can't even access it because they want an 11 digit AACOMAS ID number and the ID numbers are only 10 digits. Anyone know what the mystery digit is?

Its the first trial/riddle they are making you go through to prove your a candidate for an II....

I'd expect they will be sending out an email giving us a fix...... (I believe ACOM was the other school that had an issue like this)
 
I texted Patti and she said they are aware and are working on the issue. They are also getting ready to send an email. Since it is after hours, IT may not be able to fix until tomorrow. Patti said "Hold tight"!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I texted Patti and she said they are aware and are working on the issue. They are also getting ready to send an email. Since it is after hours, IT may not be able to fix until tomorrow. Patti said "Hold tight"!
Do you know if Patti knows if all the secondary emails were sent to verified applications or do they still have more to send?
 
does anyone know the prompts yet? Think it's a safe bet to assume they will be the same three from last year?