Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm about 75% sure I'm going to turn down my acceptance here. Hopefully it'll go to one of you guys!

+1, there's hope for you waitlisters out there!

I am also turning down this acceptance. Good luck to those on the WL!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I just received email from KCUMB reminding me to complete supplemental application, but I never received an invitation! I've been waiting for over a month and they never even replied to my emails.
Could any of you tell me where I should log in to complete it or whether they need to provide me with some login and password information? I'll try calling but I read they're really busy and do not respond to phone calls...

ii received today! Scheduled for December 11th :) I am so excited!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I just received email from KCUMB reminding me to complete supplemental application, but I never received an invitation! I've been waiting for over a month and they never even replied to my emails.
Could any of you tell me where I should log in to complete it or whether they need to provide me with some login and password information? I'll try calling but I read they're really busy and do not respond to phone calls...

Check your spam box to see if it's in there.

If not, send me a PM and I'll dig out the instructions to fill out the secondary.

I applied last year so I'm not 100% sure if it's still the correct link.

ii received today! Scheduled for December 11th :) I am so excited!!!!
Nice. How many dates were open for you to choose from, out of curiosity? I'm trying to gauge how many spots are left.

Nice. How many dates were open for you to choose from, out of curiosity? I'm trying to gauge how many spots are left.

There were 3 dates to choose from in the first half of December. I hope this helps.

This is probably a non-issue, but I mistakenly sent 3 LORs instead of 2 (2 sci prof + 1 physician). Will the school just choose one over the other, or should I notify them about this?

EDIT: Also just received my secondary application complete email today. So my LORs haven't been reviewed yet.

This is probably a non-issue, but I mistakenly sent 3 LORs instead of 2 (2 sci prof + 1 physician). Will the school just choose one over the other, or should I notify them about this?

EDIT: Also just received my secondary application complete email today. So my LORs haven't been reviewed yet.
When did you submit your application to be complete? I submitted and sent all letters close to two weeks ago now.. I sent an email yday and today they sent me an email reminding me to send my LORs - IF i had not done so already....which I already have.

When did you submit your application to be complete? I submitted and sent all letters close to two weeks ago now.. I sent an email yday and today they sent me an email reminding me to send my LORs - IF i had not done so already....which I already have.
I believe I got the same email just today (it also says the secondary application has been received). It wasn't my whole application being complete, but just secondary. Still waiting for the complete email.

I sent 6 LOR's because I needed 6 for my in state school and our school sends all letters regardless. If they don't need them then they won't look at them I suppose. I was accepted so I'm guessing it doesn't matter.

I have a question for current students at KCUMB.
As I understand it there is a dresscode for the OMM labs.
What is there is a religious obligation against shorts? Also are we performing in a sports bra or a t-shirt?
Thanks!

I sent 6 LOR's because I needed 6 for my in state school and our school sends all letters regardless. If they don't need them then they won't look at them I suppose. I was accepted so I'm guessing it doesn't matter.
Thanks a lot! Won't be bothering the admissions then.

What is there is a religious obligation against shorts? Also are we performing in a sports bra or a t-shirt?
Thanks!

They've seemed to accomodate for religious beliefs, though I myself haven't requested one. Also, most of the labs have been a t shirt

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna put a plug in about how awesome our school is for a minute. Tonight the director of the dual degree MBA program brought in one of the leading voices on direct pay primary care. It was honestly one of the most interesting presentations I've ever heard. These are the kinds of things you're going to be exposed to at kcumb, so if you're on the fence, realize that kcumb will open a lot of opportunities for you to succeed in any field you want to go into, not just primary care. Also, First years are giving "grand rounds" presentations this year and there was a pediatric hematology fellow who attended this week. He said our presentations were at a second year residents level! Of course, we receive a little faculty assistance, but the majority is students learning how to produce excellent work. These things are important to remember when making your decisions!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna put a plug in about how awesome our school is for a minute. Tonight the director of the dual degree MBA program brought in one of the leading voices on direct pay primary care. It was honestly one of the most interesting presentations I've ever heard. These are the kinds of things you're going to be exposed to at kcumb, so if you're on the fence, realize that kcumb will open a lot of opportunities for you to succeed in any field you want to go into, not just primary care. Also, First years are giving "grand rounds" presentations this year and there was a pediatric hematology fellow who attended this week. He said our presentations were at a second year residents level! Of course, we receive a little faculty assistance, but the majority is students learning how to produce excellent work. These things are important to remember when making your decisions!

This makes me so excited. What amazing opportunities! Also to add AACOMAS awarded Dean Dubin an award as well!

Thanks!

They will make accommodations.

Does anyone know how the breaks are now that the new dean is there? I am trying to plan a wedding after the start of school (on a break) but it seems like summer break has been shortened?

We haven't had a proper break since we started. The PEP week was supposed to be our "break" but it consisted of a mandatory bioethics course. We finished MSK with final and practical. A few days later had an OS exam, finished the week with a PCM and bioethics exam. The bioethics class was MANDATORY attendance. You could pass the class but fail for not going to class. A few people failed because their clickers didn't work.

That was our break.

Thanksgiving is 4 days off but we have a medical informatics exam on the Monday we get back. Winter break will hopefully be our first official "break".

Summer has been shortened to 1 month. I believe the previous curriculum had 2 months off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yikes.. thats rough... thats practically nothing

I heard the new shortened summer vacation makes doing research over the summer nearly impossible (a teach told me that)

We haven't had a proper break since we started. The PEP week was supposed to be our "break" but it consisted of a mandatory bioethics course. We finished MSK with final and practical. A few days later had an OS exam, finished the week with a PCM and bioethics exam. The bioethics class was MANDATORY attendance. You could pass the class but fail for not going to class. A few people failed because their clickers didn't work.

That was our break.

Thanksgiving is 4 days off but we have a medical informatics exam on the Monday we get back. Winter break will hopefully be our first official "break".

Summer has been shortened to 1 month. I believe the previous curriculum had 2 months off.

Compared to other schools where they don't even get a summer off and instead take more classes, a month off doesn't sound so bad haha

Compared to other schools where they don't even get a summer off and instead take more classes, a month off doesn't sound so bad haha

I'm not complaining, I knew what I signed up for when I sent in my deposit. Just making sure the applicants know that the first semester isn't easy.

What schools don't have a summer break between MS1 and MS2?

I could be wrong but I think Western U gives 2 months. I can't even imagine what I would do with 2 months of free time.

That was our break.

How does the shortened summer break affect the dual-degree programs?

How does the shortened summer break affect the dual-degree programs?

tumblr_inline_ncdp0jkPTq1sp8zt4.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Right on, I'll ask at accepted students day tomorrow

I'm just curious.... just based on the intensity and all, what are your guys' class averages on exams? Are a lot of people failing? Sounds brutal

I'm just curious.... just based on the intensity and all, what are your guys' class averages on exams? Are a lot of people failing? Sounds brutal

Our Cardiopulm midterm average was 80%.

This was after everyone was freaking out about all the material and being burned out.

Last edited:
But you get curved up to 85%? Are the exams particularly difficult? Is it powerpoint based or is there a lot of required reading?

Interviewing on 11/13. Any recommendations on the easiest/cheapest way to get from the airport (MCI) to a hotel in Kansas City?

But you get curved up to 85%? Are the exams particularly difficult? Is it powerpoint based or is there a lot of required reading?

Yes, it gets curved up to 85%.

I don't know since I haven't seen exams from other schools. I would say they're definitely harder than undergrad questions. In the past some questions have been VERY similar to questions in USMLE prep books.

You can do well on the exams just by using the powerpoint but once in a while a professor will throw in something that was from the readings.

Interviewing on 11/13. Any recommendations on the easiest/cheapest way to get from the airport (MCI) to a hotel in Kansas City?
I took Super Shuttle. It was $30-something round-trip, and it's definitely your best best.

Is this email the one you guys are considering a complete email? "KCUMB-COM has received your secondary application. Once your file is complete, we will review your application to determine your eligibility for an interview." Or is there another one that gets sent to you after that saying you are complete and under review? I got this email Oct 23rd and am so anxious!

Is this email the one you guys are considering a complete email? "KCUMB-COM has received your secondary application. Once your file is complete, we will review your application to determine your eligibility for an interview." Or is there another one that gets sent to you after that saying you are complete and under review? I got this email Oct 23rd and am so anxious!

That's the complete email! Good luck!

Browsing my junk mail today....and ???!!! Interview email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Almost peed my pants at work!! So excited!!!! 12/4!!!!!
First thing I did was google map :)
Would appreciate any suggestions on lodging and traveling and food and so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
....now I am worried...this is my first interview and KCUMB is the dream...really don't want to botch it :(

Would appreciate any suggestions on lodging and traveling and food and so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I stayed at Comfort Inn downtown. I think it was 1/2 mile from campus and paid $89. If you get a chance try Oklahoma joes bbq or Arthur Bryant's bbq.

Congratulations!!!!!!
When did you get the complete email and do you mind sharing your stats?....:D

I got bored and started looking up previous KCUMB match lists on Google. One interesting thread I found was this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kcumb-match.215905/

I'm not sure how much of that is true but there are some heavy Step 1 scores in there. I have heard rumors that someone scored a 259 last year.

I would say it is super powerpoint heavy. I have only been studying from slides with
some supplementation with FA and have been getting As on tests. I thought we were really going to have to read but I am not so sure anymore, maybe later when material gets more and more crazy.
This made me come of as a douche I'm sure but I am kinda annoyed how they were pressing so hard for us to get books because that "was the only way to get As."

I would say it is super powerpoint heavy. I have only been studying from slides with
some supplementation with FA and have been getting As on tests. I thought we were really going to have to read but I am not so sure anymore, maybe later when material gets more and more crazy.
This made me come of as a douche I'm sure but I am kinda annoyed how they were pressing so hard for us to get books because that "was the only way to get As."

I guess that means the professors are amazing at creating useful slides eh?

I guess that means the professors are amazing at creating useful slides eh?
Hah yeah, which is good, cause I hate pre-reading! I'm sure I'll change when it gets crazier, I just hope I can do it when I need to.

Haha so you'll have lots of tips for next year right ?!
I honestly believe that organization is foremost. If you are organized already then awesome and they do help putting everything in one place with the ipad. I wish I had done something similair in undergrad.
Also be very dynamic, don't be afraid to try differnt things in different blocks, even in the same block with different professors. There are some professors that I can't go to lecture for because they are bad lecturers so I stay home and study their lectures slides hard and a couple days before the test I go back and watch theirs to catch anything they didn't say, and it really hasn't been significant.
Also, do not listen to others in your class about how they are studying or how much they are studying or that one way is better than another. Just study what you need to to rock the test. I find when I listen to others I start to slack off cause I think "oh, they aren't studying today so I shouldn't either." I don't know if any of this made sense, I'm on my phone so there are probably a bunch of typos. My B

Reactions: 1 users
some supplementation with FA and have been getting As on tests.
I thought we were really going to have to read but I am not so sure anymore, maybe later when material gets more and more crazy.

Sheeeat...

Teach me your ways!