2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any KCU-Joplin OMS I-III that I could ask questions lurking here? Especially, from out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Where can I find my student ID so i can pay the acceptance deposit?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could a current student share what the internal ranking is based off of? Just a little confused since KCU is H/P/F

Could a current student share what the internal ranking is based off of? Just a little confused since KCU is H/P/F
You still get percentage grades for all of your exams and they send out the class average so you can see how you compare to your peers. The grade recorded in your transcript will be H/P/F but they still rank you into quartiles based on your percentages on exams for the first 2 years. 3rd year is a clinical class rank based on your scores on the shelf exams. Your shelf exams will also only be recorded as H/P/F on your transcript.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if KCU requires BLS certification prior to matriculation? I didn't see anything about it online, but I know a lot of med schools do

No, you'll complete it at the end of your 2nd year for 3rd and 4th year.
Does anyone know if KCU requires BLS certification prior to matriculation? I didn't see anything about it online, but I know a lot of med schools do

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I’m starting to plan out my move to KC and am looking for housing. Would any current students please DM me if you got the time to help a bit? Super lost and anxious about housing rn… thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone by any chance have the list of supplies needed in the med kit? I remember seeing a post saying to just by all the individual items separately instead of buying the bundle from KCU but I can't quite seem to find the list of items it said were needed.

Does anyone by any chance have the list of supplies needed in the med kit? I remember seeing a post saying to just by all the individual items separately instead of buying the bundle from KCU but I can't quite seem to find the list of items it said were needed.

Do not buy an expensive ophthalmoscope. You also don't really need the insufflation bulb thing for it.

Do not buy an expensive ophthalmoscope. You also don't really need the insufflation bulb thing for it.
Do we really need one at all? I would of thought it would just be provided for use when needed. I understand needing a stethoscope but beyond that why do we need to own this stuff?

I'm just trying to think logically and what I see where I work is all the providers in the ED use the ones in the rooms and not their own. Only one of the providers uses his own, so why would this be different for school?

Do we really need one at all? I would of thought it would just be provided for use when needed. I understand needing a stethoscope but beyond that why do we need to own this stuff?

I'm just trying to think logically and what I see where I work is all the providers in the ED use the ones in the rooms and not their own. Only one of the providers uses his own, so why would this be different for school?
You will use all of the items in the med kit at least once. You could get away with borrowing from friends but that can be a headache. I recommend buying a used one from the KCU for sale page and then selling it after your first year.

Yes, you need one for some labs and practicals. You can just sell it after preclinical. Like I said though, there's no need to buy the $600 one that KCU says is "required." Literally you can buy a crappy one from Amazon, or if you want to a decent used one from ebay.

Withdrew my spot on the waitlist. Hope it somehow helps one of you waiting! Good luck to all!

Accepted off the waitlist to KCU campus, interviewed in September and waitlisted in October, which I’ll be declining. Good luck everyone!

Edit: I did not fill out the waitlist survey.

Does anyone know when the student health insurance starts up? Is it July 1? Or like orientation/first day of classes?

accepted off the WL at KCU- Kansas City campus today - very much indecisive if I'll be taking it. Someone hmu if you're also indecisive :(

Last edited:
Hi I just got off the waitlist for KCU Joplin! Is there a class schedule (like week by week) out? I feel like I remember seeing one but can't remember if it was for this school or not

A at the Kansas City Campus today! After very long thoughts, I will be accepting the offer. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Accepted at KC campus on Thursday, Interviewed in Feb. Sent LoI in early May.