2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone ever successfully switch campuses after getting accepted? I sent a request after the interview to switch from "no preference" to "Kansas city," but got Joplin. Coming from a larger city, not sure how I'm going to adjust to Joplin.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone ever successfully switch campuses after getting accepted? I sent a request after the interview to switch from "no preference" to "Kansas city," but got Joplin. Coming from a larger city, not sure how I'm going to adjust to Joplin.
A city of over 50,000 isn’t so small. You will cope

Reactions: 1 users
My understanding is that switching campuses post-acceptance is not allowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't switch after getting an acceptance to a campus.

Can any current students give advice on the med kit the school recommends buying. Do most students purchase the $1000 bundle the school offers? The ophthalmoscope is $700 and a $175 stethoscope, I hear students at other schools save money and buy cheaper instruments elsewhere. Any advice?
Bought mine from amazon for cheaper. It all works the same, I personally would not buy the 1k bundle from school. Bought things individually on amazon and only spent about 60 or 70 bucks- but all I bought was a combo otoscope/ophthalmoscope kit and BP cuff. Already had a stethoscope and a reflex hammer. If you DM me I can send you the links, but it was the Cynamed 2-in-1 Ear Scope Set and the PARAMED Aneroid Sphygmomanometer – Manual Blood Pressure Cuff on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone here done a payment plan for the deposits? Or know if they have options for it?

I sent in a LOIntent a few days before receiving the waitlist notification..would it be okay to send another one? More detailed, with emphasis on more specific things, maybe an update about virtual volunteering, and in a few weeks?

I tried but I just got the run around from admissions for a couple months and then gave up

Can current students message me about housing options in KC? I’m seeing so many apartments and am kinda overwhelmed. Would love to hear recommendations and/or where a lot of KCU students stay!

Don't live at century towers, unless you don't have a car. Even then there's those apartments just east to the school which are much nicer. This is coming from someone who lives at century towers. One of my biggest regrets starting at KCU was not touring apartments before I visited. It's just a good idea in general to tour apartments before you sign a lease at one.

Can current students message me about housing options in KC? I’m seeing so many apartments and am kinda overwhelmed. Would love to hear recommendations and/or where a lot of KCU students stay!
Not going to KCU but I’ve lived in KC my entire life: best/safest areas outside the city to live are roeland park, Westwood, brookside, mission, Shawnee, fairway, PV, Overland Park (starting to get out further from the highways). Where the KCU campus is located isn’t really in the safest area, but the nice thing abt KC is you can drive 10-15 mins out of downtown and be in nice residential areas.

Not going to KCU but I’ve lived in KC my entire life: best/safest areas outside the city to live are roeland park, Westwood, brookside, mission, Shawnee, fairway, PV, Overland Park (starting to get out further from the highways). Where the KCU campus is located isn’t really in the safest area, but the nice thing abt KC is you can drive 10-15 mins out of downtown and be in nice residential areas.

I'll say that my classmates who live on the kansas side really hate the 30 minute commute when we have 8 am lab lol

I'll say that my classmates who live on the kansas side really hate the 30 minute commute when we have 8 am lab lol
Definitely. There are places on Missouri side that are good too i just am less familiar. I’ve been to independence a lot and that area is also very good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Outside of century towers, a lot of students live in the rivermarket, north kansas city, parkville, gladstone, etc.

Can anyone confirm whether immunization records need to be submitted if you're still on the wait-list? I'm currently on the wait list and I recall there's a May 1st deadline, but I assume that's for accepted students with a designated campus. Thanks!

• Care
Can anyone confirm whether immunization records need to be submitted if you're still on the wait-list? I'm currently on the wait list and I recall there's a May 1st deadline, but I assume that's for accepted students with a designated campus. Thanks!
On the immunization page, it says “for enrolled students” so pretty sure it’s for accepted students. I’m on the waitlist also and don’t see a place to even submit them yet. Could always triple check with admissions? I would def have everything ready to submit when waitlist movement starts though.

Does anyone know when the second round of scholarships are going to be released? I saw someone said early April but maybe someone has more updated info?

It costs money to submit them, they're not unreasonable enough to make you submit them anyway if they can't guarantee you a spot in the class lol

Does anyone know when the second round of scholarships are going to be released? I saw someone said early April but maybe someone has more updated info?
I think they said all scholarship money has been given out at this time, but if people reject their A it may be reshuffled around, but right now there isn't any available

Great post. Only addendum I would make to this is: PCM and OMM have been combined now into one class called ECOS. It amounted to about 4 SPE encounters that were not graded, 1 that was called a CSA, and mostly 4 hours a week of OMM per semester. Once anatomy lab starts up after 3 weeks of SFM, we would have 2 days a week where it was 2 hours of OMM + 2 hours of anatomy lab back to back from 8am-12pm. However, ECOS would usually finish a few weeks before the main class at the end of the semester, so you would have no OMM during those weeks. Maybe that averages out to 2-3 hours a week in total, but for the most part expect 4 hours of OMM a week now. Most people do nothing for ECOS stuff until right before a practical or right before an exam, and then you just end up losing 1-5 days of study time cramming for it. The first OMM practical for us was notoriously bad because it covered a ton of material that no one was dedicating any time to, so everyone I know ended up spending a solid 5ish days studying for it. It worked out because it was during a 5-week MSK section (meaning we had 5 weeks before the exam, so losing 1 week wasn't that painful). The plus side is they make it very easy to pass the retake of failures of anything you have to pass in OMM. Also, all future practicals are much quicker to study for as well, since they end up being more of the same thing but just on different regions of the body. SFM had an exam after 1 week and then the next one 2 weeks later, but for the most part exams were spaced out every 3-5 weeks.

So the downside is it sounds like we had more OMM than previous years, but the upside is all of the horror stories I have heard from upper classmen about their systems blocks being one giant exam sometimes and things like that have all been fixed. The start of the year, they especially make the transition easier for students because the first class of SFM is broken into two exams that each give you two tries per, only keeping your best score. So the way it was structured is you will start orientation mid July, and it will last two weeks. Near the end of that, they will release do-it-yourself online Canvas basic immunology and biochem material that you do in the form of multiple quizzes. This material will not be tested in any other way than the quizzes. It basically serves as a grade booster. Then SFM officially starts and you have your first exam that Friday (so only 1 week to prepare). It's a ton of material, but if you don't like your score, you can take another version of the exam on Monday, giving you the weekend to study more, and your highest score is the one kept. Then the same thing happens again 2 weeks later. Then SFM is over, and you move on to MSK with anatomy lab.
I'd like to add my perspective on KCU's curriculum. Honestly, one of my biggest problems with this school is its ridiculous curriculum. I knew it would be bad once I heard the staff say that we have "board-style in-house exams" during orientation. What does this mean for you? It means for most classes, you can't rely solely on third-party resources to pass tests (most med students use Anking and other sources like pathoma and sketchy). This makes studying for exams quite difficult because you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time watching in-house lectures just to learn information that will never come up on board exams. On top of this, you'll find that most professors here are not good at teaching (except for a few absolute gems). Professors here tend to teach these subjects like we're getting PhD's in every biological science field, even though most of what we learn in lectures is completely irrelevant to boards and will never come up while we are working in clinical settings. There is also a stupidly high emphasis on embryology in this school and it's very poorly taught. Also KCU is not a true P/F system because we have a "high pass"(not a huge deal bc most PD's don't rank prelim classes as huge factors for accepting or denying you for residency, but it still adds a lot of pressure).

To make matters worse, the scheduling is not conducive to a good learning environment. You will find that there's not much time to take breaks throughout certain parts of the year. Even when you do have breaks, there's no easing into the grove of things again. They expect you to be in a full sprint the moment you get back. The timing of ECOS exams, practicals, SPE's, and useless courses that admins force us to take, not only takes away time for you to study for your main exams, it doesn't allow you to develop a solid routine (it's kind of hard to explain how infuriating the schedule is unless you've experienced this schedule). One of the worst blocks we had was Cardiopulmonary and renal, in which after the first exam we had 3 weeks to study close to 25 lectures, and the very next exam, we had two weeks to study around the same amount. It was virtually impossible for most of us. We even had one professor during a lecture acknowledge that our curriculum was much more rigorous than that of most medical schools and that it did not allocate the proper amount of time to review lecture material. This problem could easily be alleviated if this school just switched to teaching exactly like board exams but so far they refuse to.

Going back to the criticisms of professors, many professors here are nice people, but they just simply are not good at presenting information in a way that is understandable. Their lecture slides are very wordy, concepts are often hard to visualize, and you will often encounter test questions on material that was never even presented on to begin with. Lecturers have gone past the allotted amount of time to finish lecture material even when given 2 hours to do so. It's very unprofessional. And that's not just me saying it, the president of our school himself said during orientation that a speaker going beyond the allotted amount of time is unprofessional. Oftentimes, the expectations that are set on students are not set for the staff and faculty.

The accumulation of all these factors and more has resulted in a lot of mental anguish personally for me and for pretty much all of my classmates that aren't consistently getting high scores. LOTS of first and second years are remediating 1 or two classes. A fair number end up repeating the first year. I know for a fact that in one year, 50 students had to remediate neuroanatomy. I'm quite sure that half of our class would not even pass these classes if it wasn't for the curve. If a medical school has such a significant number of students remediating and relies on curves to pass most of the class, then it's safe to say that either the exam questions are bad, the teaching is bad, or the scheduling is bad. At KCU, all 3 of these things are true.

I've got a whole other laundry list of problems with this school which I'm too lazy to type out in this post, but long story short, if you want to go to medical school and feel some semblance of sanity, try your damn hardest to get into an MD school. DO schools just have too much baggage (some more than others of course). If I was at an MD school, I would be killing it right now and so would most of my classmates. Overall, I would not recommend enrolling here. KCU students succeed in spite of this school, not because of it.

If you have other career options that allow you to achieve a lifestyle you're content with, I would honestly just go for those. Medicine is an incredibly exploitive field with hospital execs/admins raking in record profits while compensation for doctors has declined. Doctors have not had a cost of living adjustment since the 1990s. Tuition is being increased every year despite inflation. It is simply not worth the cost anymore unless you have nothing else going for you.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I'd like to add my perspective on KCU's curriculum. Honestly, one of my biggest problems with this school is its ridiculous curriculum. I knew it would be bad once I heard the staff say that we have "board-style in-house exams" during orientation. What does this mean for you? It means for most classes, you can't rely solely on third-party resources to pass tests (most med students use Anking and other sources like pathoma and sketchy). This makes studying for exams quite difficult because you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time watching in-house lectures just to learn information that will never come up on board exams. On top of this, you'll find that most professors here are not good at teaching (except for a few absolute gems). Professors here tend to teach these subjects like we're getting PhD's in every biological science field, even though most of what we learn in lectures is completely irrelevant to boards and will never come up while we are working in clinical settings. There is also a stupidly high emphasis on embryology in this school and it's very poorly taught. Also KCU is not a true P/F system because we have a "high pass"(not a huge deal bc most PD's don't rank prelim classes as huge factors for accepting or denying you for residency, but it still adds a lot of pressure).

To make matters worse, the scheduling is not conducive to a good learning environment. You will find that there's not much time to take breaks throughout certain parts of the year. Even when you do have breaks, there's no easing into the grove of things again. They expect you to be in a full sprint the moment you get back. The timing of ECOS exams, practicals, SPE's, and useless courses that admins force us to take, not only takes away time for you to study for your main exams, it doesn't allow you to develop a solid routine (it's kind of hard to explain how infuriating the schedule is unless you've experienced this schedule). One of the worst blocks we had was Cardiopulmonary and renal, in which after the first exam we had 3 weeks to study close to 25 lectures, and the very next exam, we had two weeks to study around the same amount. It was virtually impossible for most of us. We even had one professor during a lecture acknowledge that our curriculum was much more rigorous than that of most medical schools and that it did not allocate the proper amount of time to review lecture material. This problem could easily be alleviated if this school just switched to teaching exactly like board exams but so far they refuse to.

Going back to the criticisms of professors, many professors here are nice people, but they just simply are not good at presenting information in a way that is understandable. Their lecture slides are very wordy, concepts are often hard to visualize, and you will often encounter test questions on material that was never even presented on to begin with. Lecturers have gone past the allotted amount of time to finish lecture material even when given 2 hours to do so. It's very unprofessional. And that's not just me saying it, the president of our school himself said during orientation that a speaker going beyond the allotted amount of time is unprofessional. Oftentimes, the expectations that are set on students are not set for the staff and faculty.

The accumulation of all these factors and more has resulted in a lot of mental anguish personally for me and for pretty much all of my classmates that aren't consistently getting high scores. LOTS of first and second years are remediating 1 or two classes. A fair number end up repeating the first year. I know for a fact that in one year, 50 students had to remediate neuroanatomy. I'm quite sure that half of our class would not even pass these classes if it wasn't for the curve. If a medical school has such a significant number of students remediating and relies on curves to pass most of the class, then it's safe to say that either the exam questions are bad, the teaching is bad, or the scheduling is bad. At KCU, all 3 of these things are true.

I've got a whole other laundry list of problems with this school which I'm too lazy to type out in this post, but long story short, if you want to go to medical school and feel some semblance of sanity, try your damn hardest to get into an MD school. DO schools just have too much baggage (some more than others of course). If I was at an MD school, I would be killing it right now and so would most of my classmates. Overall, I would not recommend enrolling here. KCU students succeed in spite of this school, not because of it.

If you have other career options that allow you to achieve a lifestyle you're content with, I would honestly just go for those. Medicine is an incredibly exploitive field with hospital execs/admins raking in record profits while compensation for doctors has declined. Doctors have not had a cost of living adjustment since the 1990s. Tuition is being increased every year despite inflation. It is simply not worth the cost anymore unless you have nothing else going for you.
Just like everything you read online, you will get varying opinions from people that are usually polarized in one direction or another. I would never base your decision to go to one program or another on one polarized opinion. That being said, in every school, people will find fault with something. I can't disagree with everything this poster has said but I think there are a lot of positives about KCU and I think this school does a much better job than a lot of friends I know at other DO schools. Choose the school that's right for you (usually the cheapest option) and in the end, it will work out. If anyone has any questions about KCU, as a current 3rd year I'll do my best to answer them!

Reactions: 8 users
If I was at an MD school, I would be killing it right now and so would most of my classmates.
This is extremely speculative and there's no true evidence that this is factual. All schools have their issues, I am sorry you are struggling with KCU's. But to say you would be killing it at an MD right now is a reach.

Reactions: 4 users
Switching it up a bit, has anyone heard of any waitlist movement (or gotten off the waitlist themselves?)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
They really flexible on this - I wouldn't worry about it.

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I’m going to ask anyway.

So my current and only A is here at KCU and don’t get me wrong, I would love to attend this school. But I’m also an east coaster and KCU would have me move halfway across the country. I’m currently sitting on the WL for 2 DO and 1 MD state school(s) and I would honestly take my state schools over KCU solely for the location and proximity to my entire family.

The thing is, KCU starts a whole month earlier than any of the state schools I’m sitting on the WL for. And from what I understand, the tuition and fees need to be paid in full (or a payment plan in place) before classes start. So what happens if I get off the WL in mid-July for my state schools? I know there are some tuition refunds depending on when you effectively “drop out” but does this also apply for matriculating at another school? And will I technically be considered “dropping out” of a medical school when it comes to applying for residency?

Don't live at century towers, unless you don't have a car. Even then there's those apartments just east to the school which are much nicer. This is coming from someone who lives at century towers. One of my biggest regrets starting at KCU was not touring apartments before I visited. It's just a good idea in general to tour apartments before you sign a lease at one.
I agree with touring apartments first if you can. I did and it's pretty astonishing how good some really crappy places can be made to look in photos.

• Love
This is extremely speculative and there's no true evidence that this is factual. All schools have their issues, I am sorry you are struggling with KCU's. But to say you would be killing it at an MD right now is a reach.
It's really not a reach if you've gone through what we have. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that our curriculum is much more rigorous than that of other programs. KCU goes heavy on OMM. That alone takes away a lot of time from studying and relaxing. My friends that are at MD schools certainly struggle but they simply have more time to study than we do. Therefore, it's fair to extrapolate that the students at KCU that have been passing despite the scheduling would do quite well at other schools that allow for more time to study

Just like everything you read online, you will get varying opinions from people that are usually polarized in one direction or another. I would never base your decision to go to one program or another on one polarized opinion. That being said, in every school, people will find fault with something. I can't disagree with everything this poster has said but I think there are a lot of positives about KCU and I think this school does a much better job than a lot of friends I know at other DO schools. Choose the school that's right for you (usually the cheapest option) and in the end, it will work out. If anyone has any questions about KCU, as a current 3rd year I'll do my best to answer them!
That's all fair. I'm just simply pointing out the negatives so that people have an idea of what they're getting into and not getting an incomplete idea of what this school is like. I remember reading about how KCU's reputation was good when I was first applying, but once you get inside and see how the sausage is made, then reality hits you hard.

It's really not a reach if you've gone through what we have. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that our curriculum is much more rigorous than that of other programs. KCU goes heavy on OMM. That alone takes away a lot of time from studying and relaxing. My friends that are at MD schools certainly struggle but they simply have more time to study than we do. Therefore, it's fair to extrapolate that the students at KCU that have been passing despite the scheduling would do quite well at other schools that allow for more time to study
Have you taken other programs curriculum? KCU is notorious for having the least amount of OMM so I’m not sure that they are in any way worse than other schools. it just sounds like you’re blowing off smoke right now.

Reactions: 5 users

Like the other guy said I can't disagree with everything you've said but I relied almost entirely on Anking for our last GU exam and passed... not comfortably but I'm not a top quartile student by any means either. I'm sorry you feel this way in general about the school and I'd love to talk about it, I'm also a first year, DM me if you'd like.

i know amcas makes us choose one school from all the schools we have been accepted to by a certain deadline, does aacomas make us do anything like that as well?

Last edited:
i know amcas makes us choose one school from all the schools we have been accepted to by a certain deadline, does aacomas make us do anything like that as well?
+1/boosting, though I don’t think that we need to for aacomas but could be wrong??

+1/boosting, though I don’t think that we need to for aacomas but could be wrong??
"Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn."

Source: AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

I disagree with a lot of this. I'm a first year so maybe it gets worse but I don't think there's that much low yield stuff being taught. Even if there was, being tested on low yield material is a common complaint across the board at any medical school that uses in-house exams. In my experience, the lectures actually line up pretty well with Anking aside from most of the embryo and histo stuff. I wouldn't exactly say that there's a huge emphasis on embryo either. They give us like the most basic info about the embryology of all the systems. It's boring and terrible, sure. But it usually amounts to like 4 questions per written exam and like 2 questions on anatomy practicals.

I think the scheduling is going to be an issue at any DO school, since we all have to learn OMM. I've heard that KCU goes relatively light on OMM too. Where exactly would you like them to schedule things? There's not enough time in the semester to space things out anymore than they already do. Everyone blows off ECOS until last minute anyway, it's not like we need to spend 4 hours a day studying OMM and clinical stuff. I do agree with CPR being garbage though lol.

Reactions: 7 users

So my current and only A is here at KCU and don’t get me wrong, I would love to attend this school. But I’m also an east coaster and KCU would have me move halfway across the country. I’m currently sitting on the WL for 2 DO and 1 MD state school(s) and I would honestly take my state schools over KCU solely for the location and proximity to my entire family.

The thing is, KCU starts a whole month earlier than any of the state schools I’m sitting on the WL for. And from what I understand, the tuition and fees need to be paid in full (or a payment plan in place) before classes start. So what happens if I get off the WL in mid-July for my state schools? I know there are some tuition refunds depending on when you effectively “drop out” but does this also apply for matriculating at another school? And will I technically be considered “dropping out” of a medical school when it comes to applying for residency?
I’m in the same boat for my in state med school. I don’t really understand why KCU starts a whole month before other schools

Got the “still interested in waitlist” survey today. Check your workday to complete it! Says it’s due by May 10th

Reactions: 8 users
If anyone is moving to Century Towers, let me know! I'm a resident and would love to split the referral reward. Let me know if you have any questions. I am a current COM student.

similar situation. Does anyone have advice on this? How do people handle starting orientation at one school and then potentially getting off a waitlist at another school? (especially one in another state)

Congrats to the person accepted above!!!

Can we get a WL roll call going on this thread to gauge how many of us are holding on with the intent to enroll? I’ll go first - WL 2/14 ii