Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm OOS and got an interview for the 18th! Good luck everyone!
Anyone have tips for interview prep?
I highly recommend reading over past interview questions here: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/sc...versity-college-of-veterinary-medicine#panel2
And of course know your application and your experiences really well!

Members don't see this ad.

My classmate just got an invitation this morning (we're both OOS, California). Still waiting over here as well, but from what others have said there will be another wave of invites to come!

Works out well actually. I wouldn't be able to make it Dec 17. I'm graduating that day!! Hahah

So hoping for second wave!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received my invite for December 18 this morning via email.
I am an OOS applicant, 3.27 GPA overall, 3.47 science GPA, 4.00 last 45, 93 percentile average GRE, ~1200 hours of mixed veterinary experience, over 5000 hours animal experience. I am also male and a little bit of an older candidate (32) if that matters...

So I called the number listed on the email about block rates for the hotels, and they offered me 15 over the block rate. I told them the price on the email and they said no... thanks guys that's awesome. I'm staying 20 minutes away now. I wish this interview process was cheaper, I think I've spent $3,400 so far :eek:.

So I heard a rumor and was wondering if it is true the earlier you have your interview for vet school (in collection in IS and OOS) the better they like you?

Do you guys know how they calculate repeated courses in their science GPA calculations?

Do you guys know how they calculate repeated courses in their science GPA calculations?
I emailed them about this last year they take the highest grade and add it to the calculation

Has anyone received an invite for the second or third interview weekends?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they don't factor in the first poor grade? Or they factor both in to average it ?
If I remember correctly they just include the highest grade, except for your last 45 hours GPA where they will include both if both were in your last 45 hours.

Check your email everyone ! Just received an invite for January 7th.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! Best of luck!
And I have my fingers crossed I hear as well!

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile

Thank you! There should still be another batch set to go out for the last interview weekend, so good luck to you as well :)

!!!!!!!!!! Just got an invitation to interview and just called Mary Sue to accept. She was so nice! !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations Ben!
Too bad we are going out separate weekends...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats! Best of luck!
And I have my fingers crossed I hear as well!

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile
They sent out the first weekend invites out on three separate days so there's still hope for even the second weekend for us! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations Ben!
Too bad we are going out separate weekends...

Thanks Bryan! I know, it would have been awesome to meet up before/after interviews (and for the pizza party haha!) Flights to Kansas in early January are pretty expensive :eek:

Thanks Bryan! I know, it would have been awesome to meet up before/after interviews (and for the pizza party haha!) Flights to Kansas in early January are pretty expensive :eek:

I'm flying into Kansas City instead of Mannhattan. Round trip tickets from LAX to Mannhattan were about $636 when I looked, round trip tickets to Kansas City were only $132! I am going to fly in Friday, rent a car Saturday, and then drive the 119 miles to Manhattan. This also gives me a chance to see the nearest "metropolitan" area in Kansas. I'm going to a Chiefs game Saturday too :)

I hear it's a lot cheaper to fly into Kansas City and rent a car to drive to Manhattan!

I'm flying into Kansas City instead of Mannhattan. Round trip tickets from LAX to Mannhattan were about $636 when I looked, round trip tickets to Kansas City were only $132! I am going to fly in Friday, rent a car Saturday, and then drive the 119 miles to Manhattan. This also gives me a chance to see the nearest "metropolitan" area in Kansas. I'm going to a Chiefs game Saturday too :)

Ahh you guys are life savers! The tickets I was looking into from LAX-MHK were also about $600+ and I definitely wouldn't mind checking out the surrounding metropolitan area!

Got my invite for 1/7 today too!! I'll also be flying into KC and driving to Manhattan. Staying at the Holiday Inn on campus so I can walk around campus and such :joyful:

Hoping you other SDNers who haven't heard yet hear soon!!

Still haven't heard, oh my gosh I'm gonna go binge eat ice cream.

I hear it's a lot cheaper to fly into Kansas City and rent a car to drive to Manhattan!
Ahh you guys are life savers! The tickets I was looking into from LAX-MHK were also about $600+ and I definitely wouldn't mind checking out the surrounding metropolitan area!

Yeah it's usually not worth it. Especially since unless you're traveling from Dallas or Chicago there's no direct flights. Even then...my parents live in the Dallas area and I've never seen it less than $250-300 just for an MHK/DFW roundtrip (still sometimes $500+), versus sub $200 going to MCI instead. And it's only like $7 a day to park at that airport.

Still haven't heard, oh my gosh I'm gonna go binge eat ice cream.

I didn't get that email until like, mid-December. Don't fret.

Yeah it's usually not worth it. Especially since unless you're traveling from Dallas or Chicago there's no direct flights. Even then...my parents live in the Dallas area and I've never seen it less than $250-300 just for an MHK/DFW roundtrip (still sometimes $500+), versus sub $200 going to MCI instead. And it's only like $7 a day to park at that airport.

I didn't get that email until like, mid-December. Don't fret.
When do they send out rejections?

I wouldn't worry just yet for those who haven't heard. Like pigfarmer said, the emails for the first weekend of interviews were sent out over 3 days and there's still the third weekend of invitations as well!

Last edited:
When do they send out rejections?
Seems to vary how they do it, but from what I've seen on here previously not for a while. In the past they haven't been very aggressive about sending the bad news, so I wouldn't expect that until well into next year. I think they put some people into a category of alternates for interviews too, if they want more or have people who decline/cancel. Until January is ticking by, don't start having the oh crap thoughts if it's still radio silence.

Anyone able to share their stats that were given an interview invite? I am crossing my fingers for an interview and would love to know my chances.

Anyone able to share their stats that were given an interview invite? I am crossing my fingers for an interview and would love to know my chances.
I don't know all mine off the top of my head, but I definitely didn't have the highest gpa but did have pretty good GRE scores (153V, 160Q, 4.5 writing). Also, I didn't have a super high number of vet hours (but lots of animal hours). Hoping you get an interview too!!

Last edited:

Pretty average stats across the board for myself.
cGPA - 3.46
sGPA - 3.36-3.7 depending on which school took which courses into account
last 45 - 3.6

GRE - Q 155 V 159 AW 5.5

I do have 3000+ vet hours with a decent amount of LA, Lab animal, and research as well which may have helped balance my academics a bit.

I got an earlier an earlier interview which I was very surprised by. I'm a nontraditional student so my recent coursework is vastly different than my undergrad work.

cGPA: 3.28
Last 45: 4.0
sGPA: 3.79
GRE: 162Q 156V 4.5W

Only one SA hospital for hours which was 980. My schedule was very restricted from working full time while going to school at night. I hope you get an interview!

I got an earlier an earlier interview which I was very surprised by. I'm a nontraditional student so my recent coursework is vastly different than my undergrad work.

cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.79
GRE: 162Q 156V 4.5W

Only one SA hospital for hours which was 980. My schedule was very restricted from working full time while going to school at night. I hope you get an interview!

We have nearly identical stats Coopah!Interesting...

non traditional student
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.46
GRE: 165Q 169V 5W

~1200 vet hours divided among a variety of practices and specialties.
~5000 animal hours with a variety of species
-2 great LOR, one mundane but positive LOR, and one wild card LOR

We have nearly identical stats Coopah!Interesting...

non traditional student
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.46
GRE: 165Q 169V 5W

~1200 vet hours divided among a variety of practices and specialties.
~5000 animal hours with a variety of species
-2 great LOR, one mundane but positive LOR, and one wild card LOR

Haha nice, except you kick my butt on the GRE lol. Where else did you apply?

Haha nice, except you kick my butt on the GRE lol. Where else did you apply?

I spent the summer doing nothing but GRE prep and it paid off!

I also applied to Ohio State, Washington State, Virginia-Maryland, Colorado State, and University of Wisconsin.

Howdy! I interviewed with KSU last year, and I just got my invite to interview again this coming January! @tuxandtats for interview prep, review your application that you submitted to VMCAS if you can and search generic interview questions (it's not an MMI if you didn't already know). Hope this helps!

I spent the summer doing nothing but GRE prep and it paid off!

I also applied to Ohio State, Washington State, Virginia-Maryland, Colorado State, and University of Wisconsin.

That's awesome! I applied to Ohio State, Washington State, and Colorado State as well. I hope to see you there for interviews as well! I also applied to Tufts, UC Davis, Florida, and Iowa. Since I do not have an IS I applied the shotgun method lol. Best of luck to you!

Howdy! I interviewed with KSU last year, and I just got my invite to interview again this coming January! @tuxandtats for interview prep, review your application that you submitted to VMCAS if you can and search generic interview questions (it's not an MMI if you didn't already know). Hope this helps!

Did you ever feel like it was a disadvantage that the KSU interview is open file? I'm not sure if I'm more comfortable with the traditional interviewing style vs. other ones such as MMIs.

That's awesome! I applied to Ohio State, Washington State, and Colorado State as well. I hope to see you there for interviews as well! I also applied to Tufts, UC Davis, Florida, and Iowa. Since I do not have an IS I applied the shotgun method lol. Best of luck to you!

Shotgun for the win!
Good luck to you as well :)

!!!!!!!!!! Just got an invitation to interview and just called Mary Sue to accept. She was so nice! !!!!!!!!!!
She is THE BEST my VMCAS got messed up due to snail mail :/ and she worked with me to get it fixed! I also worked in the diagnostic medicine/pathology lab for a year before the research project funding got cut :,( and when I ran stuff to her she would always take time to chat with me

She is THE BEST my VMCAS got messed up due to snail mail :/ and she worked with me to get it fixed! I also worked in the diagnostic medicine/pathology lab for a year before the research project funding got cut :,( and when I ran stuff to her she would always take time to chat with me

Are you attending KSU right now and applying as an IS? :)

Did you ever feel like it was a disadvantage that the KSU interview is open file? I'm not sure if I'm more comfortable with the traditional interviewing style vs. other ones such as MMIs.
Personally I think open file interviews are much easier, because the committee already knows a bit about your experiences and personality (on paper at least) and you don't have to start from scratch telling them about yourself. If you come off poorly on paper it might be a disadvantage, lol, but I liked having the opportunity to explain the weak spots on my application. I never had to do an MMI, but they sound very intimidating! I had one closed-file behavioral interview with Illinois and it didn't go so well, I absolutely could not think of an example for one of their "tell me about a time when..." questions, even days afterward. K State's interviews are very conversational and laidback, I was super nervous but my interviewers put me at ease.

And I agree Mary Sue is super nice! I'm in her office a lot as an ambassador. :)

Hi! I got an invite for an interview last Monday- I'm scheduled for January 7th! My mom lived in Kansas for a while, and so she's concerned about the weather in January and wants me to fly directly into Manhattan from Denver to avoid that two hour drive. I've read a couple things online saying that Manhattan airport was a nightmare for other applicants during early January, so I'm wondering if anyone has a specific reason that they would fly into KC over Manhattan? (other than just price alone!) Thank you guys and congrats to anyone else that received an interview! :)

Hi! I got an invite for an interview last Monday- I'm scheduled for January 7th! My mom lived in Kansas for a while, and so she's concerned about the weather in January and wants me to fly directly into Manhattan from Denver to avoid that two hour drive. I've read a couple things online saying that Manhattan airport was a nightmare for other applicants during early January, so I'm wondering if anyone has a specific reason that they would fly into KC over Manhattan? (other than just price alone!) Thank you guys and congrats to anyone else that received an interview! :)

If the weather is causing a problem here it may very well affect MCI too, but the issue is that MHK only has 4-5 departures and arrivals per day. I think it was my first year that there was a bad snowstorm just in time for winter break and like dozens of my classmates got stuck either here or in KC due to all the flight cancellations...usually it's not that bad though.

If the weather is causing a problem here it may very well affect MCI too, but the issue is that MHK only has 4-5 departures and arrivals per day. I think it was my first year that there was a bad snowstorm just in time for winter break and like dozens of my classmates got stuck either here or in KC due to all the flight cancellations...usually it's not that bad though.

Thank you so much!