Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview on January 22nd! Anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if there is uber in Manhattan?

Yes---there's uber in Manhattan.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
He's in nursing school and comes here on weekends and we study together on campus in the 24/7 lab. (The vet students have access via student IDs and there are study desks in the lab). I'm the worst person to ask! Long distance isn't hard for me. I'm busy all week and suddenly it's the weekend and he shows up. We text and sometimes FaceTime. I think there's a relationship forum somewhere on here if you want helpful tips, hah.

How do you guys manage your finances?

If it's like last year, it will probably be sometime in February after all the interviews are done and acceptances have gone out. Last year they did send rejections out to people that never got an interview, two years ago they did not.

I'm a current first year. K-State was my only acceptance, but I like that we have a great exotics program and a growing shelter med program (including a mobile spay/neuter unit!), and the faculty here seem to all really want you to succeed. Our library was remodeled just a year or two and is really nice, and they're planning on remodeling the first year lab over the summer. You might check out the "factors when picking a school" thread, I don't think there's anything super recent on there for K-State but I'm planning on adding to it once I'm done with finals! Let me know if you have any specific questions, or feel free to PM me. RMulder is also in my class, and @Frozenshades is a fourth year.

Yo. Yeah that new library is swanky. Every place has their ups and downs but I think the hospital facilities are all fairly nice as well. I think they're updating the MRI sometime soon which is nice, it's old.

This was my in-state so that helped. I was wait-listed at Minnesota and it would've been a difficult choice if I had been called off their list. Since I'm Deaf, accommodations was my #1 concern in where I attended school and Minnesota is the Gallaudet of the Midwest in terms of doing things well and being familiar with how to work with disabled students. I finished my pre-reqs at Kansas so I was at least a little bit familiar with the campus and the student access/disability office. Accommodations is pretty huge for me or I could've gone to veterinary school 10 years ago :)

Pros:
We have a veterinary hospital the next building over. You can shadow during your downtime if you wish. You can pick up a student worker job (flexible schedule). You can get to know the clinicians before you live our your last year at the hospital. Just depends if you wish to use those resources.

The undergrad campus have their own farms, so there is potential for you to go work hands on with cattle, poultry, small ruminants, horses, or laboratory animals if you network. Right now I'm not sure if any of our classes collaborate with the undergrad campus but I recall in undergrad meeting some of the equine veterinarians who brought 10 veterinary students with them when we did an equine lameness lab in my equine physiology class. Being close to farms means better access to specimen, probably for the wet labs in the clubs?? I don't know if we get our large animals from them but certainly doesn't help that it's all so close.

We have a new spay/neuter mobile program and between the on-campus laboratory setup (more access to specimen for Gross Anatomy compared to other schools where I vaguely recall tours telling me 15 students share one pony. Back to the mobile clinic-- They said every student leaves their rotation with around 50-90 surgeries under their belt in a 2-week rotation. So even with zero interest in animal rescue/welfare, surgical opportunities. is HUGE!!! This is privately funded so your tuition dollars aren't "wasted."

The faculty and the Kansas State environment is hugely set to wanting us all to succeed. There's always a professor or two who reads off slides, but most of them are funny and are more than willing to do extra reviews (we have review lectures built into the schedule), meet with you, or otherwise actively work with you and try to help you.

There's a gym across the street that your student fees pay for. So if you enjoy intramural sports or working out, it's right there. It's called The Rec / recreational center if you want to search online for its amenities.

Second-year students gave most of us studying supplies. When I looked through them, I found the old materials helpful. Although there is construction going on in the lab next summer so 2021 may not have their own study desks?? We will still pass on the materials to you.

Not related to the school itself but we have Dunkin' Donuts now if you're from the East Coast. We're 2-hours away from Kansas City if you want to escape for a weekend and be in a large-ish city and have more choices in dining out (we have standard chains and some local places in town, but more options in KC). Believe it or not, we have hiking trails, I enjoy those! The winter isn't bad IMO and I'm originally from Southern California. We get some snow but usually a couple inches at a time (getting our first inch today). The main thing would be buying a few winter clothing to adjust to cold temps.

Cons:
I personally hated the Gross Anatomy setup and book. But I expect it to be organized next year. There weren't any organized step-by-step instructions, you read a lab book for the steps and figure it out as a group. There are 4 faculty members who roam the lab who help out (not enough! I wish they had 5 more people).

You share a microscope with someone during separate MicroAnatomy/Histology lab times. This will change during construction and you'll be doing lab in a lecture hall, but I thought it would've been better if we all did lab at the same time and took turns looking into the scope. I guess this con doesn't really apply to 2021 but I'm trying to come up with a list so it's not completely bare bones.

Classroom always seems to be freezing cold so blankets in class is a daily thing.

Professional/business casual dress code--I never wore pajamas in undergrad but by god, I would in vet school if we didn't have a dress code. You won't be sent home or anything but you'll see a bunch of e-mails from your class president or reminders from one of the faculty members.

I have disability related cons, but not really relevant to anyone else.

I probably have a lot more pros but I should probably study!

As long as you don't look homeless in class faculty really doesn't care. On clinics need to dress appropriately.

The hospital temperature is usually better than the classrooms, the first year floor especially is an iceberg. Except for the ICU at 3am- dress in layers or suffer (even more) on overnights.

Honestly by the end of it I rarely used my scope during histo lab lol, I just watched and listened (earlier lab ftw). I only used it to review sometimes before lab exams. You'll have your own available second year for labs (path, bact, parasit).

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you find time to drive into Kansas City?
I went to Ikea in Kansas City once this semester, but it was over Labor Day weekend so classes weren't too intense yet, and we had that extra day off. It's definitely not something that would be possible every weekend, but I know some people go for Chiefs games, concerts, shopping, etc.
Honestly by the end of it I rarely used my scope during histo lab lol, I just watched and listened (earlier lab ftw). I only used it to review sometimes before lab exams.
Yeah, I definitely slacked off in microanatomy lab towards the end of this semester. I find looking at slides online way more helpful since our lab exams are based on pictures, not looking at actual slides. It's kinda helpful to get some microscope practice, but a lot of the slides in our sets are poorly stained and not very useful. But like RMulder said, they'll be switching up the structure of micro lab next year.

So for those of us who didn't get anything, I'm going to guess that is an automatic no. lol.

So for those of us who didn't get anything, I'm going to guess that is an automatic no. lol.
Well, I think other posts in this thread stated that interview batches are generally spread out over three days, so they might send out more interview invites tomorrow?

I went to Ikea in Kansas City once this semester, but it was over Labor Day weekend so classes weren't too intense yet, and we had that extra day off. It's definitely not something that would be possible every weekend, but I know some people go for Chiefs games, concerts, shopping, etc.

Thanks! I was just wondering because I'm from a city and have never lived in a small town/rural area before, and there's always a lot to do where I live now. I know in vet school I'll be studying constantly anyway!! And fingers crossed that I get accepted to K-State or at least get another interview invite so I don't have all my eggs in one basket :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I was just wondering because I'm from a city and have never lived in a small town/rural area before, and there's always a lot to do where I live now. I know in vet school I'll be studying constantly anyway!! And fingers crossed that I get accepted to K-State or at least get another interview invite so I don't have all my eggs in one basket :xf:
Yeah, I'm a city girl too but Manhattan doesn't feel TOO small. Mainly there's some chain restaurants we don't have that I miss, but I'm too poor to eat out much anyway. :p And yeah, I'm so busy studying all the time that I haven't even gotten around to all of what little there is to do in Manhattan. Good luck with your interview!

EmmySenpai and LyraGardenia have such similar avatars, I was wondering for a second why EmmySenpai was replying to herself lol

Reactions: 2 users
EmmySenpai and LyraGardenia have such similar avatars, I was wondering for a second why EmmySenpai was replying to herself lol
Haha!! Well, my cat is pretty much the tabby version of Lyra's :cat:

Yeah, I'm a city girl too but Manhattan doesn't feel TOO small. Mainly there's some chain restaurants we don't have that I miss, but I'm too poor to eat out much anyway. :p And yeah, I'm so busy studying all the time that I haven't even gotten around to all of what little there is to do in Manhattan. Good luck with your interview!

Overachiever. Have fun while you can, it's all downhill after first year ;)

I may have been found at the ville most occasional weekends first year :whistle:

Got the hotel booked, and figured out the travel arrangements. Decided to drive since it's about 10 hours from where I live in Texas and flying was too expensive. I still can't believe I got an interview, but it's definitely becoming more real now! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Overachiever. Have fun while you can, it's all downhill after first year ;)

I may have been found at the ville most occasional weekends first year :whistle:
Oh, I'm definitely not studying ALL the time, my downtime just tends to be spent on Facebok/Netflix/SDN rather than getting out and doing stuff. :p There have been a few Aggieville weekends, but I'm too much of an introvert to do that all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I'm definitely not studying ALL the time, my downtime just tends to be spent on Facebok/Netflix/SDN rather than getting out and doing stuff. :p There have been a few Aggieville weekends, but I'm too much of an introvert to do that all the time.

Fair enough! Alcohol makes me an extrovert :laugh:

Got the hotel booked, and figured out the travel arrangements. Decided to drive since it's about 10 hours from where I live in Texas and flying was too expensive. I still can't believe I got an interview, but it's definitely becoming more real now! :)

I just booked all of my stuff too! It made it feel much more real after I bought my plane ticket lol but I'm so excited to head out there for the interview!

Reactions: 3 users

Same here! I grow up in a 8 million population city, lived in Chicago before and I am now attending K-State (for grad school)! Manhattan is definitely different from a big city in many ways, but I am very happy here (except sometimes I do miss home and Chicago!) I love hiking and there are many hiking places near Manhattan. People here are friendly; grocery is cheaper than in many big cities; downtown has fancy restaurants (I cannot afford them anyways though :), places for shopping, and a new IMAX cinema is opening in December. There is almost no public transportation but driving is much easier compared to Chicago (I basically could not afford a car in Chicago). And it's not hard to get around since the town is so small lol. Plus the prairie is very beautiful. I do need to occasionally go back to Chicago to catch up with friends and get pizza!

Has anyone contacted admissions to see when the next batch of interviews or denials will go out?

Same here! I grow up in a 8 million population city, lived in Chicago before and I am now attending K-State (for grad school)! Manhattan is definitely different from a big city in many ways, but I am very happy here (except sometimes I do miss home and Chicago!) I love hiking and there are many hiking places near Manhattan. People here are friendly; grocery is cheaper than in many big cities; downtown has fancy restaurants (I cannot afford them anyways though :), places for shopping, and a new IMAX cinema is opening in December. There is almost no public transportation but driving is much easier compared to Chicago (I basically could not afford a car in Chicago). And it's not hard to get around since the town is so small lol. Plus the prairie is very beautiful. I do need to occasionally go back to Chicago to catch up with friends and get pizza!

Hiking sounds great since that's what I do occasionally on the weekends anyway! I'm glad that there are still things to do, and I'm especially happy that groceries are cheap... I spend 30-50 dollars per week here :dead: Everything sounds wonderful from what you've said as well as past responses from other people in the area, so now I just have to nail the interview. I'm surprised I even got one to be honest. My gpa is on the low side (3.3) and I'm hoping it won't hinder my chances even after I have interviewed.

interview January 8th OOS

Has anyone had experience requesting to change an interview date?

Does anyone know when they are going to send the rejection letters?

Not sure, but in the email it said that the dates would only be changed upon extreme emergency.
Thank you. I guess it's a good problem to have (lots of interviews). I just wish schools would give more options considering we don't know where we will be accepted yet.

Thank you. I guess it's a good problem to have (lots of interviews). I just wish schools would give more options considering we don't know where we will be accepted yet.

It's definitely a good problem to have!! They may do that because they want to interview people who are really interested in their school. It might not look that great if you ask to reschedule because you already have an interview somewhere else.

It's definitely a good problem to have!! They may do that because they want to interview people who are really interested in their school. It might not look that great if you ask to reschedule because you already have an interview somewhere else.
Yep, I'm going to have to wait it out. The flight schedules are what make it rough. I'll wait to hear back from all the schools I applied to and then see if/what I need to cancel. I'm really interested in them all and I really wanted to get to see the schools and how I like them!!!! We will see :). Of all the problems I have, this is a great one to have :).

Yep, I'm going to have to wait it out. The flight schedules are what make it rough. I'll wait to hear back from all the schools I applied to and then see if/what I need to cancel. I'm really interested in them all and I really wanted to get to see the schools and how I like them!!!! We will see :). Of all the problems I have, this is a great one to have :).

Where else did you get an interview?

Thank you :). I was already accepted to one and will most likely need to decline some interviews, but we will see :).

Did you get accepted to LMU? I heard that they already accepted people. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about an interview/rejection

Did you get accepted to LMU? I heard that they already accepted people. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about an interview/rejection

I was accepted to Midwestern University :). I haven't heard back from LMU either. :(

Hiking sounds great since that's what I do occasionally on the weekends anyway! I'm glad that there are still things to do, and I'm especially happy that groceries are cheap... I spend 30-50 dollars per week here :dead: Everything sounds wonderful from what you've said as well as past responses from other people in the area, so now I just have to nail the interview. I'm surprised I even got one to be honest. My gpa is on the low side (3.3) and I'm hoping it won't hinder my chances even after I have interviewed.

As they said the grade is not the only thing! There are many other things to be considered, and I have heard about people being admitted with a 3.1 GPA. That's why we have the interview to show the committee how awesome we are as a person!
Best of luck!! :p

As they said the grade is not the only thing! There are many other things to be considered, and I have heard about people being admitted with a 3.1 GPA. That's why we have the interview to show the committee how awesome we are as a person!
Best of luck!! :p

True, plus the way I see it is if they didn't like my grades/GRE score to begin with, they probably wouldn't have picked me for an interview

Is there a shuttle of some sort that services travel to/from MCI? The weather seems like it's going to get pretty bad this week and I'm assuming it's only going to get worse in January. Ended up doing public transport yesterday in Michigan which I don't regret given the 40 car pile up with fatalities that same day I arrived :oops: Whatever I try to search for shuttle-wise for KS only comes up with crazy expensive private/black cars.

Is there a shuttle of some sort that services travel to/from MCI? The weather seems like it's going to get pretty bad this week and I'm assuming it's only going to get worse in January. Ended up doing public transport yesterday in Michigan which I don't regret given the 40 car pile up with fatalities that same day I arrived :oops: Whatever I try to search for shuttle-wise for KS only comes up with crazy expensive private/black cars.
I don't know about an official shuttle, but we'll have ambassadors available to pick people up from the airport, take people to their hotels after the pizza party, etc. I don't know the details of it but I'd recommend emailing Mary Sue! There's also Uber here, and I did see a regular taxi around the other day lol. But as discussed earlier, it sounds like winter here isn't too bad as far as snow goes, we got a dusting the other day but mostly it's just been bitter cold so far. As for next weekend, right now it looks like a 30% chance of snow for Friday, but that's highly subject to change!

I don't know about an official shuttle, but we'll have ambassadors available to pick people up from the airport, take people to their hotels after the pizza party, etc. I don't know the details of it but I'd recommend emailing Mary Sue! There's also Uber here, and I did see a regular taxi around the other day lol. But as discussed earlier, it sounds like winter here isn't too bad as far as snow goes, we got a dusting the other day but mostly it's just been bitter cold so far. As for next weekend, right now it looks like a 30% chance of snow for Friday, but that's highly subject to change!

I don't know if there's anything from MCI, but there is from the Manhattan airport, if you haven't booked your flight yet. My email said this:
"Shuttle Service will be provided by the College of Veterinary Medicine to and from the hotels listed above during interview times and to and from the pizza party on Saturday evening. The shuttles will run every hour on Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m., and for the pizza party from 5:30 p.m. to 6:20and return trips back to the hotels after the pizza party. The shuttle will run on Sunday from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. There will be a copy of the shuttle schedule at the hotel front desk. If you are flying into the Manhattan Regional Airport on Friday evening, Saturday, or Sunday, the shuttle will be there for all incoming and departing flights. If you know what flight you will be on and wish to be picked up please call 785-532-4852 or email:[email protected] to ensure someone will be there."

Okay so I did some Googling (procrastinating studying, whoops) and ended up in KState's international student pages, and they list some different companies but I think they're actually all the same shuttle because it keeps mentioning one of the others on the websites so I'm just linking the one the other sites mentioned that I think they book through, but I THINK I found one. It's $99 per way and you have to look at this link (http://kciroadrunner.com/mci/) and scroll down to see airport pick up times and then you have to input THAT time into the reservations page and put this specific address of the Four Points Sheraton hotel in Manhattan (530 RICHARDS ROAD MANHATTAN, KS 66502) as the drop off location (only drop off/pick up spot in Manhattan). Obviously if you're not staying at this specific hotel, uber to yours, but this at least would get you TO Manhattan.

Okay so I did some Googling (procrastinating studying, whoops) and ended up in KState's international student pages, and they list some different companies but I think they're actually all the same shuttle because it keeps mentioning one of the others on the websites so I'm just linking the one the other sites mentioned that I think they book through, but I THINK I found one. It's $99 per way and you have to look at this link (http://kciroadrunner.com/mci/) and scroll down to see airport pick up times and then you have to input THAT time into the reservations page and put this specific address of the Four Points Sheraton hotel in Manhattan (.530 RICHARDS ROAD MANHATTAN, KS 66502). as the drop off location (only drop off/pick up spot in Manhattan). Obviously if you're not staying at this specific hotel, uber to yours, but this at least would get you TO Manhattan.

Do we have to pay $99 for the shuttle if we're staying at one of the listed hotels?? I was under the assumption that it was free :eek:

Definitely didn't know about the ambassador thing! That would be awesome. I'll probably wait until closer to my interview to see how the weather is looking to see if it seems saw to just fly into MCI and rent a car and if not just opt for public transport.

Okay so I did some Googling (procrastinating studying, whoops) and ended up in KState's international student pages, and they list some different companies but I think they're actually all the same shuttle because it keeps mentioning one of the others on the websites so I'm just linking the one the other sites mentioned that I think they book through, but I THINK I found one. It's $99 per way and you have to look at this link (http://kciroadrunner.com/mci/) and scroll down to see airport pick up times and then you have to input THAT time into the reservations page and put this specific address of the Four Points Sheraton hotel in Manhattan (.530 RICHARDS ROAD MANHATTAN, KS 66502). as the drop off location (only drop off/pick up spot in Manhattan). Obviously if you're not staying at this specific hotel, uber to yours, but this at least would get you TO Manhattan.

Ahh, finally figured it out. So it's $80 for a scheduled shuttle to the 4 points Sheraton and $99 to KSU. If I did go this route I'd probably try and stay at the hotel on campus to avoid needing to uber anywhere. Pinching pennies at this point with all these travel expenses lol.

I don't know if there's anything from MCI, but there is from the Manhattan airport, if you haven't booked your flight yet. My email said this:
"Shuttle Service will be provided by the College of Veterinary Medicine to and from the hotels listed above during interview times and to and from the pizza party on Saturday evening. The shuttles will run every hour on Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m., and for the pizza party from 5:30 p.m. to 6:20and return trips back to the hotels after the pizza party. The shuttle will run on Sunday from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. There will be a copy of the shuttle schedule at the hotel front desk. If you are flying into the Manhattan Regional Airport on Friday evening, Saturday, or Sunday, the shuttle will be there for all incoming and departing flights. If you know what flight you will be on and wish to be picked up please call 785-532-4852 or email:[email protected] to ensure someone will be there."
Yes, I was referring to the Manhattan airport, not Kansas City, sorry for any confusion! There will not be ambassadors picking people up from KC. (I've never had to fly here, so I'm not good with airport abbreviations, assumed from the M that you were talking about Manhattan... it was late lol)

Yes, I was referring to the Manhattan airport, not Kansas City, sorry for any confusion! There will not be ambassadors picking people up from KC. (I've never had to fly here, so I'm not good with airport abbreviations, assumed from the M that you were talking about Manhattan... it was late lol)

It's okay lol. Yeah the flights to MHK start at around 5-$600 :eek: flying into MCI and just shuttling may save me a couple hundred dollars, which given the days of taken off of work for interviews so far, and still having to schedule my VA-MD and Auburn trip makes a big difference for me finance wise lol.

The $99 is for a shuttle from the Kansas City airport to Manhattan kansas..

Oh okay, I'm just taking the easier way and flying straight to Manhattan. I figure it will add up to the same price if I have to get a $100 shuttle anyway!

Haha yeah, airport codes are confusing :laugh: some make absolutely no sense based on the city which is fun. I think most of the weird ones are from old airport names, which makes sense, but the airport isn't called that anymore haha.

Oh okay, I'm just taking the easier way and flying straight to Manhattan. I figure it will add up to the same price if I have to get a $100 shuttle anyway! ..
Yeah, I'm flying into KC because I would have to take 3 planes vs 2 to fly into Manhattan haha. And my mom's coming with me so we're renting a car. It was about a $200 or so difference pp when I looked for delta (but then would also have to switch to a different airline because I think I remember seeing that only certain ones fly into Manhattan and only from dfw or ord). If my mom wasn't coming with me, I'd definitely just fly into Manhattan so I didn't have to rent a car or anything or take a shuttle.

Yeah, I'm flying into KC because I would have to take 3 planes vs 2 to fly into Manhattan haha. And my mom's coming with me so we're renting a car. It was about a $200 or so difference pp when I looked for delta (but then would also have to switch to a different airline because I think I remember seeing that only certain ones fly into Manhattan and only from dfw or ord). If my mom wasn't coming with me, I'd definitely just fly into Manhattan so I didn't have to rent a car or anything or take a shuttle. .

Both of my parents are coming, but the only thing is that my interview is on a Saturday and I have class on Friday, so that means we'd be getting in really late on Friday AND would then have to drive 2 hours into Manhattan if we flew to Kansas City. I was also very confused when I looked up Kansas City and it wasn't actually in Kansas :laugh:

Both of my parents are coming, but the only thing is that my interview is on a Saturday and I have class on Friday, so that means we'd be getting in really late on Friday AND would then have to drive 2 hours into Manhattan if we flew to Kansas City. I was also very confused when I looked up Kansas City and it wasn't actually in Kansas :laugh:.
One of the Kansas City's IS in Kansas :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But yeah, that totally makes sense. I have a later interview on my Saturday so I'm flying in that morning

One of the Kansas City's IS in Kansas :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But yeah, that totally makes sense. I have a later interview on my Saturday so I'm flying in that morning.

Me too! What Saturday do you have your interview?
And I'm just going to assume that there's a trend with city names in Kansas... there's another city with the same name in another state! :laugh: