Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you attending KSU right now and applying as an IS? :)
yah! I love it here it is awesome! The teachers really care about the students and it is super easy to get involved in research they are always looking for people for the rabies lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I got an invite for an interview last Monday- I'm scheduled for January 7th! My mom lived in Kansas for a while, and so she's concerned about the weather in January and wants me to fly directly into Manhattan from Denver to avoid that two hour drive. I've read a couple things online saying that Manhattan airport was a nightmare for other applicants during early January, so I'm wondering if anyone has a specific reason that they would fly into KC over Manhattan? (other than just price alone!) Thank you guys and congrats to anyone else that received an interview! :)
You should be fine! You will take a tollway from KC to get to MHK and they keep it clean. The only problem would be Bill Snyder highway and MHK city streets. Just know how to drive in winter weather, and you will be fine, if not Kansas people are usually super friendly and can help you.

You should be fine! You will take a tollway from KC to get to MHK and they keep it clean. The only problem would be Bill Snyder highway and MHK city streets. Just know how to drive in winter weather, and you will be fine, if not Kansas people are usually super friendly and can help you.

Thank you, that's really helpful! Being from Colorado, driving in the snow shouldn't be to much of a challenge hopefully! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think open file interviews are much easier, because the committee already knows a bit about your experiences and personality (on paper at least) and you don't have to start from scratch telling them about yourself. If you come off poorly on paper it might be a disadvantage, lol, but I liked having the opportunity to explain the weak spots on my application. I never had to do an MMI, but they sound very intimidating! I had one closed-file behavioral interview with Illinois and it didn't go so well, I absolutely could not think of an example for one of their "tell me about a time when..." questions, even days afterward. K State's interviews are very conversational and laidback, I was super nervous but my interviewers put me at ease.

And I agree Mary Sue is super nice! I'm in her office a lot as an ambassador. :)

Thank you for the info! I was wondering if it would be acceptable to bring a copy of my resume/thesis? Or is it not allowed?

Did you ever feel like it was a disadvantage that the KSU interview is open file? I'm not sure if I'm more comfortable with the traditional interviewing style vs. other ones such as MMIs.

Honestly, I didn't prepare like I should have. I had kind of peeked at suggested interview questions from other websites. I was prepared emotionally for that one hard egg to crack in the interview (which was unfortunately from my alma mater), but I felt disappointed in myself when I left. Don't be me. Thoroughly read through a pdf copy of your VMCAS application (which you can request via email) well in advance. If there were semesters that you struggled, think back about what you did correctly or incorrectly that got you through that semester. I love MMIs (though I have yet to get one) because I feel that the questions are so impartial compared to the personal subjective questions I get in traditional interviews. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I got an invite for an interview last Monday- I'm scheduled for January 7th! My mom lived in Kansas for a while, and so she's concerned about the weather in January and wants me to fly directly into Manhattan from Denver to avoid that two hour drive. I've read a couple things online saying that Manhattan airport was a nightmare for other applicants during early January, so I'm wondering if anyone has a specific reason that they would fly into KC over Manhattan? (other than just price alone!) Thank you guys and congrats to anyone else that received an interview! :)

My parents and I flew into KC last year. We actually have family in KC and stayed with them before making the drive to Manhattan the next day. We didn't encounter a lot of snow (or any really) until our last day in Kansas, but even then it was in KC right before we left for the airport. My interview is in the afternoon on the 7th as well so we might run into each other! Be safe!

when they send the last batch of interviews?

Thank you for the info! I was wondering if it would be acceptable to bring a copy of my resume/thesis? Or is it not allowed?
I didn't bring anything in with me last year, but I'm not sure if it's frowned upon or not! You could always bring it with you and ask someone beforehand, if the answer's no there's a room where you can leave your stuff while you go downstairs for your interview.

So if we didn't get an email yet for an interview, is it safe to say you'll be getting a rejection?

So if we didn't get an email yet for an interview, is it safe to say you'll be getting a rejection?
The second round of emails went out last week for the weekend of the 7-8 (second weekend of 3) and the first weekend round went out about two weeks before that, and I haven't heard anyone on here post that they've gotten one for the third weekend yet, so I'd say they haven't sent those ones out yet.

Hey guys, I'm interviewing in January and am looking to rent a car to drive from the Kansas City airport to my interview. Would the economy car work? Do I need chains? I'm not sure what would be best in the snow. I wanted to get the rental now so it doesn't get too expensive. Suggestions on types of rental cars, etc?

Hey guys, I'm interviewing in January and am looking to rent a car to drive from the Kansas City airport to my interview. Would the economy car work? Do I need chains? I'm not sure what would be best in the snow. I wanted to get the rental now so it doesn't get too expensive. Suggestions on types of rental cars, etc?
I've personally never been to Kansas in the winter, but I'm from Michigan where I believe it gets much snowier in the winter than Kansas and we do not use chains here (both around Metro Detroit and the upper Lower Peninsula). Here, you see lots of people driving their normal cars around and they work well enough and in my opinion should be fine for Kansas, but if for some reason there happens to be a blizzard, you'd probably feel more comfortable in a bigger car like an SUV. Personally, my mom and I rented a small car (can't remember exactly which level but it was a 4 door something, maybe the intermediate level? My mom booked it so I'm not positive) but we are also comfortable driving in snow since we're from Michigan.
For reference, according to Google, the average snowfall for KC, MO is about 15 inches whereas Detroit is at 42.5 and where I go in the upper L.P. of MI is ~95 inches per year.

So, you could probably be fine with a smaller car unless some freak snowstorm happens.
Someone who goes there currently may have more insight, but this is just my opinion based on snowfall and my experience in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, retailmenot.com has some coupon codes for different rental companies, so definitely make sure you check for coupons (you may already do this, but some people don't think about it)

Also, retailmenot.com has some coupon codes for different rental companies, so definitely make sure you check for coupons (you may already do this, but some people don't think about it)
Thank you!!! I didn't know about this. Would you say I need a special car or chains for Michigan? I am going straight from Kansas to Michigan for my interview and need to rent a car there, too.

Thank you!!! I didn't know about this. Would you say I need a special car or chains for Michigan? I am going straight from Kansas to Michigan for my interview and need to rent a car there, too.
Wouldn't need chains, but we usually have some snow in January (depending on the year it could be like 4 inches or more like 14 inches). I personally drive a jeep in MI (so more SUV than sedan) but I know a lot of people who drive sedans in the winter and are okay.
One tip though, if it's hovering around freezing and if there's rain(or really any form of precipitation like sleet or freezing rain), it can get icy, but it's black ice so you don't see it all that easily, which can get dangerous. If the pavement is dry but looks darker and shiny in spots, that's most likely black ice (and it's especially found on bridges and overpasses because the air blows under the pavement and on top of it and it freezes faster).
I've definitely driven during snow storms before and just be aware that during snow storms (really anywhere, not just Michigan) it can go from extremely good visibility to crap in two seconds. Not trying to scare you or anything, just make you aware of these things because it seems like you're from somewhere warm.

Wouldn't need chains, but we usually have some snow in January (depending on the year it could be like 4 inches or more like 14 inches). I personally drive a jeep in MI (so more SUV than sedan) but I know a lot of people who drive sedans in the winter and are okay.
One tip though, if it's hovering around freezing and if there's rain(or really any form of precipitation like sleet or freezing rain), it can get icy, but it's black ice so you don't see it all that easily, which can get dangerous. If the pavement is dry but looks darker and shiny in spots, that's most likely black ice (and it's especially found on bridges and overpasses because the air blows under the pavement and on top of it and it freezes faster).
I've definitely driven during snow storms before and just be aware that during snow storms (really anywhere, not just Michigan) it can go from extremely good visibility to crap in two seconds. Not trying to scare you or anything, just make you aware of these things because it seems like you're from somewhere warm.
Thank you! Yep, I'm definitely from a warm state... jeans and a t-shirt will do!

Last edited:
I received an interview invite for January 21 this morning!! :happy:

Reactions: 8 users
I also just got an email for an interview January 21st!

Reactions: 7 users
I havent receive anthing :( Is this the last wave of invites?

I got an email for an interview January 22nd!! So excited!

Reactions: 4 users

I'm from Texas and we're planning to make the 7 hour drive to Manhattan for my interview - from last year, it looks like it tends to snow in the area more towards mid-January so I'm hoping it won't be an issue! We were worried about flying in because of flights getting cancelled from weather though - which is why we're driving. Any more tips for maneuvering winter weather with snow and ice?

Just got an email inviting me to interview Jan 22nd!!

Edit: I'm OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do you know when they send the rejection letters?
Looking at last years' threads, seems like a lot of people never even heard back from KSU and were left in the dark without a formal rejection letter. :(

I wouldn't worry too much about snow. There could be a freak 15" storm but unlikely. I'd say we get a couple inches worth in a snow "storm" maybe 4 times all winter.
Nobody will need chains and you'll be fine in an economy rental car. If there's snow: Drive slow and don't stop on any of the rare hills you'd come across. And don't drive on any side streets.

Now, if there does happen to be that every-other-3ish-years freak storm, you can blame me for jinxing it. I suppose we are due for one.:D

I'm from Texas and we're planning to make the 7 hour drive to Manhattan for my interview - from last year, it looks like it tends to snow in the area more towards mid-January so I'm hoping it won't be an issue! We were worried about flying in because of flights getting cancelled from weather though - which is why we're driving. Any more tips for maneuvering winter weather with snow and ice?

I wouldn't worry too much about snow. There could be a freak 15" storm but unlikely. I'd say we get a couple inches worth in a snow "storm" maybe 4 times all winter.
Nobody will need chains and you'll be fine in an economy rental car. If there's snow: Drive slow and don't stop on any of the rare hills you'd come across. And don't drive on any side streets.

@Great Butts basically just what RMulder said. Don't stop on hills, stick to main roads (more likely to be plowed and sooner than side roads), keep a large distance between the car in front of you, and drive slower. But Kansas doesn't seem to get too much snow in general (averages online of ~15-18" for the whole year) so I'd think it wouldn't be too bad.

Are there any current students at Kansas State? If so, would you mind sharing why you picked the school and what you really like about it (or don't like)? Perhaps there is another forum with this information somewhere?

Do you know when they send the rejection letters?
If it's like last year, it will probably be sometime in February after all the interviews are done and acceptances have gone out. Last year they did send rejections out to people that never got an interview, two years ago they did not.
Are there any current students at Kansas State? If so, would you mind sharing why you picked the school and what you really like about it (or don't like)? Perhaps there is another forum with this information somewhere?
I'm a current first year. K-State was my only acceptance, but I like that we have a great exotics program and a growing shelter med program (including a mobile spay/neuter unit!), and the faculty here seem to all really want you to succeed. Our library was remodeled just a year or two ago and is really nice, and they're planning on remodeling the first year lab over the summer. You might check out the "factors when picking a school" thread, I don't think there's anything super recent on there for K-State but I'm planning on adding to it once I'm done with finals! Let me know if you have any specific questions, or feel free to PM me. RMulder is also in my class, and @Frozenshades is a fourth year.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, but I got my interview invite this morning as well for January 21st!

If it's like last year, it will probably be sometime in February after all the interviews are done and acceptances have gone out. Last year they did send rejections out to people that never got an interview, two years ago they did not.

I'm a current first year. K-State was my only acceptance, but I like that we have a great exotics program and a growing shelter med program (including a mobile spay/neuter unit!), and the faculty here seem to all really want you to succeed. Our library was remodeled just a year or two and is really nice, and they're planning on remodeling the first year lab over the summer. You might check out the "factors when picking a school" thread, I don't think there's anything super recent on there for K-State but I'm planning on adding to it once I'm done with finals! Let me know if you have any specific questions, or feel free to PM me. RMulder is also in my class, and @Frozenshades is a fourth year.
Thank you! I just found looked at that thread (I had forgotten about it!). I'm just trying to figure out if it is a good fit. I don't have specific questions right now other than to get a basic idea of the student experience. I want to make sure I go to a school that has a supportive learning environment. That's great to hear about the spay/neuter unit as well! Thank you :).

This was my in-state so that helped. I was wait-listed at Minnesota and it would've been a difficult choice if I had been called off their list. Since I'm Deaf, accommodations was my #1 concern in where I attended school and Minnesota is the Gallaudet of the Midwest in terms of doing things well and being familiar with how to work with disabled students. I finished my pre-reqs at Kansas so I was at least a little bit familiar with the campus and the student access/disability office. Accommodations is pretty huge for me or I could've gone to veterinary school 10 years ago :)

Pros:
We have a veterinary hospital the next building over. You can shadow during your downtime if you wish. You can pick up a student worker job (flexible schedule). You can get to know the clinicians before you live our your last year at the hospital. Just depends if you wish to use those resources.

The undergrad campus have their own farms, so there is potential for you to go work hands on with cattle, poultry, small ruminants, horses, or laboratory animals if you network. Right now I'm not sure if any of our classes collaborate with the undergrad campus but I recall in undergrad meeting some of the equine veterinarians who brought 10 veterinary students with them when we did an equine lameness lab in my equine physiology class. Being close to farms means better access to specimen, probably for the wet labs in the clubs?? I don't know if we get our large animals from them but certainly doesn't help that it's all so close.

We have a new spay/neuter mobile program and between the on-campus laboratory setup (more access to specimen for Gross Anatomy compared to other schools where I vaguely recall tours telling me 15 students share one pony. Back to the mobile clinic-- They said every student leaves their rotation with around 50-90 surgeries under their belt in a 2-week rotation. So even with zero interest in animal rescue/welfare, surgical opportunities. is HUGE!!! This is privately funded so your tuition dollars aren't "wasted."

The faculty and the Kansas State environment is hugely set to wanting us all to succeed. There's always a professor or two who reads off slides, but most of them are funny and are more than willing to do extra reviews (we have review lectures built into the schedule), meet with you, or otherwise actively work with you and try to help you.

There's a gym across the street that your student fees pay for. So if you enjoy intramural sports or working out, it's right there. It's called The Rec / recreational center if you want to search online for its amenities.

Second-year students gave most of us studying supplies. When I looked through them, I found the old materials helpful. Although there is construction going on in the lab next summer so 2021 may not have their own study desks?? We will still pass on the materials to you.

Not related to the school itself but we have Dunkin' Donuts now if you're from the East Coast. We're 2-hours away from Kansas City if you want to escape for a weekend and be in a large-ish city and have more choices in dining out (we have standard chains and some local places in town, but more options in KC). Believe it or not, we have hiking trails, I enjoy those! The winter isn't bad IMO and I'm originally from Southern California. We get some snow but usually a couple inches at a time (getting our first inch today). The main thing would be buying a few winter clothing to adjust to cold temps.

Cons:
I personally hated the Gross Anatomy setup and book. But I expect it to be organized next year. There weren't any organized step-by-step instructions, you read a lab book for the steps and figure it out as a group. There are 4 faculty members who roam the lab who help out (not enough! I wish they had 5 more people).

You share a microscope with someone during separate MicroAnatomy/Histology lab times. This will change during construction and you'll be doing lab in a lecture hall, but I thought it would've been better if we all did lab at the same time and took turns looking into the scope. I guess this con doesn't really apply to 2021 but I'm trying to come up with a list so it's not completely bare bones.

Classroom always seems to be freezing cold so blankets in class is a daily thing.

Professional/business casual dress code--I never wore pajamas in undergrad but by god, I would in vet school if we didn't have a dress code. You won't be sent home or anything but you'll see a bunch of e-mails from your class president or reminders from one of the faculty members.

I have disability related cons, but not really relevant to anyone else.

I probably have a lot more pros but I should probably study!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got an interview on January 22nd! Anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if there is uber in Manhattan?

This was my in-state so that helped. I was wait-listed at Minnesota and it would've been a difficult choice if I had been called off their list. Since I'm Deaf, accommodations was my #1 concern in where I attended school and Minnesota is the Gallaudet of the Midwest in terms of doing things well and being familiar with how to work with disabled students. I finished my pre-reqs at Kansas so I was at least a little bit familiar with the campus and the student access/disability office. Accommodations is pretty huge for me or I could've gone to veterinary school 10 years ago :)

Pros:
We have a veterinary hospital the next building over. You can shadow during your downtime if you wish. You can pick up a student worker job (flexible schedule). You can get to know the clinicians before you live our your last year at the hospital. Just depends if you wish to use those resources.

The undergrad campus have their own farms, so there is potential for you to go work hands on with cattle, poultry, small ruminants, horses, or laboratory animals if you network. Right now I'm not sure if any of our classes collaborate with the undergrad campus but I recall in undergrad meeting some of the equine veterinarians who brought 10 veterinary students with them when we did an equine lameness lab in my equine physiology class. Being close to farms means better access to specimen, probably for the wet labs in the clubs?? I don't know if we get our large animals from them but certainly doesn't help that it's all so close.

We have a new spay/neuter mobile program and between the on-campus laboratory setup (more access to specimen for Gross Anatomy compared to other schools where I vaguely recall tours telling me 15 students share one pony. Back to the mobile clinic-- They said every student leaves their rotation with around 50-90 surgeries under their belt in a 2-week rotation. So even with zero interest in animal rescue/welfare, surgical opportunities. is HUGE!!! This is privately funded so your tuition dollars aren't "wasted."

The faculty and the Kansas State environment is hugely set to wanting us all to succeed. There's always a professor or two who reads off slides, but most of them are funny and are more than willing to do extra reviews (we have review lectures built into the schedule), meet with you, or otherwise actively work with you and try to help you.

There's a gym across the street that your student fees pay for. So if you enjoy intramural sports or working out, it's right there. It's called The Rec / recreational center if you want to search online for its amenities.

Second-year students gave most of us studying supplies. When I looked through them, I found the old materials helpful. Although there is construction going on in the lab next summer so 2021 may not have their own study desks?? We will still pass on the materials to you.

Not related to the school itself but we have Dunkin' Donuts now if you're from the East Coast. We're 2-hours away from Kansas City if you want to escape for a weekend and be in a large-ish city and have more choices in dining out (we have standard chains and some local places in town, but more options in KC). Believe it or not, we have hiking trails, I enjoy those! The winter isn't bad IMO and I'm originally from Southern California. We get some snow but usually a couple inches at a time (getting our first inch today). The main thing would be buying a few winter clothing to adjust to cold temps.

Cons:
I personally hated the Gross Anatomy setup and book. But I expect it to be organized next year. There weren't any organized step-by-step instructions, you read a lab book for the steps and figure it out as a group. There are 4 faculty members who roam the lab who help out (not enough! I wish they had 5 more people).

You share a microscope with someone during separate MicroAnatomy/Histology lab times. This will change during construction and you'll be doing lab in a lecture hall, but I thought it would've been better if we all did lab at the same time and took turns looking into the scope. I guess this con doesn't really apply to 2021 but I'm trying to come up with a list so it's not completely bare bones.

Classroom always seems to be freezing cold so blankets in class is a daily thing.

Professional/business casual dress code--I never wore pajamas in undergrad but by god, I would in vet school if we didn't have a dress code. You won't be sent home or anything but you'll see a bunch of e-mails from your class president or reminders from one of the faculty members.

This post is amazing, thank you for typing all of this out!! You should post this to the "Factors when picking a school" thread, because the last update about KSU is from 2008 I believe!

Just got an interview on January 22nd! Anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if there is uber in Manhattan?
I don't know about uber or anything, but if you're worried about renting a car or anything, I know my invite email said they'll have shuttles to pick you up at the Manhattan airport (they just suggest letting them know your flight info to make sure someone's there) and ones to take you to and from interviews and the pizza party if you stay at one of the block hotels.

Pros:

Cons:

When do you find time to drive into Kansas City?

I still havent heard anything. I hope I dnt get stuck in limbo

Got an interview invite this morning for Jan 22nd. OOS

Pros:

Cons:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is SOOOO helpful!!! I have a question about something you said. I will PM you :).

Congrats to all that got invites!Nothing yet here.

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! I have an interview for Dec. 17th yay I was wondering when all of your interviews are for? or if you guys knew what are all the days they are interviewing people. (wishing I am not one of the first interviews)
I have mine the 18th!

This post is amazing, thank you for typing all of this out!! You should post this to the "Factors when picking a school" thread, because the last update about KSU is from 2008 I believe!
When do you find time to drive into Kansas City?

I personally haven't even though my husband lives there. But if someone wants to see a baseball game, see a concert, etc--they could.

I personally haven't even though my husband lives there. But if someone wants to see a baseball game, see a concert, etc--they could.

So your husband lives in Kansas City while you live in Manhattan? Out of curiosity - since my boyfriend and I are going to have to deal with the issue of his employment wherever I can get accepted, how are you two maintaining a relationship despite veterinary school?

I just received my interview invite for January 22nd at 2:30! I'm OOS.

So your husband lives in Kansas City while you live in Manhattan? Out of curiosity - since my boyfriend and I are going to have to deal with the issue of his employment wherever I can get accepted, how are you two maintaining a relationship despite veterinary school?

He's in nursing school and comes here on weekends and we study together on campus in the 24/7 lab. (The vet students have access via student IDs and there are study desks in the lab). I'm the worst person to ask! Long distance isn't hard for me. I'm busy all week and suddenly it's the weekend and he shows up. We text and sometimes FaceTime. I think there's a relationship forum somewhere on here if you want helpful tips, hah.