-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kansas State C/O 2023
Started by Cbabcock22
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I don't think that has ever happened (at least not in recent years), but I got my acceptance 10 days after my interview 3 years ago!Did anyone hear back immediately after their interview? As in the committee just said that you are accepted?
Thanks a ton! It seemed like that, but I like to double checkIt's a traditional interview, open-file, mainly about you and your experiences! Further up on the page I posted a link to a bunch of past questions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ecualombian23
Full Member
Hi, I am flying into Kansas City on Jan. 2nd for an interview. I am renting a car and driving into Manhattan on Jan 3rd. If anyone is flying into Kansas City and would like a ride and to split gas costs to Manhattan in time for the dinner, let me know!
Emvólio_Epistímonas
Full Member
So I was looking at comparisons of tuition in order to remind myself. KSUs OOS tuition is pretty disappointingly high I think, and people have said they are very strict that you cannot convert to instate. What's interesting is that one of their 6 strategic priorities for 2017-2019 was "Lower Cost of Education for DVM Degree", so maybe there is hope but I am having trouble finding more concrete examples of what is actually happening. Apparently they froze tuition increases and are making more scholarships available. If anyone has more info about that I would be interested.
Here is their strategic plan if you want to educate yourself: Strategic Plan 2017-2019 | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University
Here is their strategic plan if you want to educate yourself: Strategic Plan 2017-2019 | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University
Other than what you mentioned I think they were looking at possibly reducing the number of pre-reqs so more people could potentially apply after 2-3 years of undergrad and save money that way. I don't know of any plans to actually decrease tuition unfortunately, but at least the freeze is better than it going up.So I was looking at comparisons of tuition in order to remind myself. KSUs OOS tuition is pretty disappointingly high I think, and people have said they are very strict that you cannot convert to instate. What's interesting is that one of their 6 strategic priorities for 2017-2019 was "Lower Cost of Education for DVM Degree", so maybe there is hope but I am having trouble finding more concrete examples of what is actually happening. Apparently they froze tuition increases and are making more scholarships available. If anyone has more info about that I would be interested.
Here is their strategic plan if you want to educate yourself: Strategic Plan 2017-2019 | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University
I like K-State (most of the time), but seriously if you get an acceptance somewhere cheaper, take it.I've seen some people on the APVMA Facebook group say they were on the interview alternate list and got offered an interview! I'd guess it's too late to get an offer for this weekend, but they might still extend more invites for the January dates.Has anyone that was placed on the Alternate List been offered an interview spot already? I’m wondering if it’s too late now or if they wait until the second round of interviews.
Hey guys! I'm gonna be in your class since I had to get a surgery and take off next semester. I'll be around most of the interview weekend's just taking it easy, but if anyone has any questions or wants to meet up please don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck you all and BEEEEE yourself. 🙂
Does anyone know if there is parking by the veterinary medicine center where dinner is tonight?
Yes, there should be plenty of parking in the lots in front of and behind the building!Does anyone know if there is parking by the veterinary medicine center where dinner is tonight?
Just left from my interview, I dont think it went poorly although I got emotional at a question and I couldnt make my eyes stop tearing up lol. Fantastic tour and all of the ambassadors were amazing and sweet!
Did they ask you one of the questions that is completely designed just to throw you off????Just left from my interview, I dont think it went poorly although I got emotional at a question and I couldnt make my eyes stop tearing up lol. Fantastic tour and all of the ambassadors were amazing and sweet!
GorillaLife03
New Member
I also just got back from my interview! I think it went alright and if anyone has questions feel free to ask!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GorillaLife03
New Member
I have a lot of zoo animal care experience, so one person told me a story of when he had a close encounter with a wild bull moose and he asked me to tell him a similar story. I think he was digging at if I knew my limits while working with wild animals and if I knew when to back down. They also gave me a scenerio where I was working for a pharmaceutical company and I noticed some of the product was missing. They wanted to know how I'd go about finding out who stole the product then what I'd do if I knew who it was.What was a question you did not expect?
No actually it was weird because I was totally expecting that type! All pretty standard or vauge that I had to expand upon, one about ethics and cheating.Did they ask you one of the questions that is completely designed just to throw you off????
Because I had a lot of leadership/management experience they asked me what leadership position I would assume in the class. It threw me off just because I was more prepared to talk about my experience and situations and less about how I would be a leader in the school.What was a question you did not expect?
Dinner was very casual, pizza. Most people dressed dressy/casual, a few full suits, some more casual jeans and button ups. Dont stress too much about that like I did lol. We started a little late but I think we were waiting on shuttles for maximum attendance.What was the dinner like? What is the attire one should wear?
pizza
LITTLE CAESARS?!?!?!
Honestly loveddddd the interview. Everyone kept telling me it was just a conversation and I didn't believe any of it but it really was! I didn't have any curveball-type questions. One pointer I got from the student panel was that if they ask you a question and you can't immediately think of an answer, ask them to rephrase it to buy some time

literally the doughiest pizza I've ever eatenLITTLE CAESARS?!?!?!

Oh nooo, I was hoping they'd spring for something slightly better this year.literally the doughiest pizza I've ever eaten![]()

I mean I really can't complain because they did feed me! And I'll honestly eat pizza and chance I getOh nooo, I was hoping they'd spring for something slightly better this year.![]()

lol. jokes.Oh nooo, I was hoping they'd spring for something slightly better this year.![]()
Does anyone remember the KSU-specific personal statement prompt? Trying to "study" my application and knowing the actual prompt may be helpful 

Does anyone remember the KSU-specific personal statement prompt? Trying to "study" my application and knowing the actual prompt may be helpful![]()
Sent you a PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent you a PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mind sending it to me as well?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don’t send anything to vmcas. Once the cycle is closed, anything goes directly to a school that requests it.Does any one know if we need to send our fall transcript to VCMAS or directly to Kstate?
cowsarecool
Full Member
I was looking at this yesterday and it isn't required that we send transcripts for fall, just at the end of the year when spring semester is over. Here's the link I found this at, click on the "transcripts" section and it's the last question:Does any one know if we need to send our fall transcript to VCMAS or directly to Kstate?
Frequently asked questions | Admissions | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University
Great! Thanks.I was looking at this yesterday and it isn't required that we send transcripts for fall, just at the end of the year when spring semester is over. Here's the link I found this at, click on the "transcripts" section and it's the last question:
Frequently asked questions | Admissions | College of Veterinary Medicine | Kansas State University
Heads up for IS applicants, I got an email yesterday stating because they couldnt get all IS interviews done the first weekend they are going to hold off any decisions until the week of Jan 7th-11th. So at least we aren't all sitting by the mailbox until that week. No comment on OOS in the email however.
Thanks for the update.Heads up for IS applicants, I got an email yesterday stating because they couldnt get all IS interviews done the first weekend they are going to hold off any decisions until the week of Jan 7th-11th. So at least we aren't all sitting by the mailbox until that week. No comment on OOS in the email however.
Guess that means that I'll be sitting by the mailbox forever since I'm OOSHeads up for IS applicants, I got an email yesterday stating because they couldnt get all IS interviews done the first weekend they are going to hold off any decisions until the week of Jan 7th-11th. So at least we aren't all sitting by the mailbox until that week. No comment on OOS in the email however.

They are actually going to be emailing us as well as snail mail this year according to Dr. Rost.Guess that means that I'll be sitting by the mailbox forever since I'm OOS[emoji23]
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
Oh NICE thanks for letting me know!!They are actually going to be emailing us as well as snail mail this year according to Dr. Rost.
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
Merry Christmas everyone! Is there anyone flying into Kansas City early on Thursday that I could catch a ride with?
My interview is at 4:30 Thursday.Merry Christmas everyone! Is there anyone flying into Kansas City early on Thursday that I could catch a ride with?
How much have you guys learned about the curriculum to prepare for the interview? Any suggestions from people who have already interviewed?
This was only my first interview with K-State, but the interview itself seemed more to pitch yourself than how much you knew about the school. Researching curriculum may help you with asking specific questions on the tour or at the panel, but in my opinion it was not needed for interview prep.How much have you guys learned about the curriculum to prepare for the interview? Any suggestions from people who have already interviewed?
They asked me why I chose to apply to Kansas State so it could help with answering that if they ask it.This was only my first interview with K-State, but the interview itself seemed more to pitch yourself than how much you knew about the school. Researching curriculum may help you with asking specific questions on the tour or at the panel, but in my opinion it was not needed for interview prep.
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
They asked me why I chose to apply to Kansas State so it could help with answering that if they ask it.
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
Why did you apply to Kansas State?
They have Dr. Carpenter and I want to be an exotics/zoo/conservation veterinarian and he is a zoo vet god.Why did you apply to Kansas State?
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They have Dr. Carpenter and I want to be an exotics/zoo/conservation veterinarian and he is a zoo vet god.
Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile
I need a reason too. A legit one, lol.
truth be told, my academic advisor from undergrad told me they liked graduates from my school and that's why I applied
I need a reason too. A legit one, lol.
truth be told, my academic advisor from undergrad told me they liked graduates from my school and that's why I applied
Well, I might think of something a little more personal than that lol
Well, I might think of something a little more personal than that lol
lol ya obviously, that's what I'm saying! 😛
Honestly, I didn't 100% know my reason until I showed up to the school the day before my interview! When I was trying to prepare for the "Why KState?" question at home I kept going back to the basic stats that I could find on Google. Once I actually got on campus, I was able to talk to so many students and faculty and hear why *they* chose KState. My main point was the sense of community: my school is a total of 1500 students, so I've always had a worry of getting to vet school and feeling "lost" within a larger school (even though vet schools are usually more on their own but still....my school is tiny), and KState truly feels so homey and everyone was so welcoming. Plus I talked about how I enjoyed hearing about the future plans for the school that were discussed in the information session!I need a reason too. A legit one, lol.
I can't remember if you're still actually interested in shelter med, but if so we have a great program for that too! We have the mobile spay/neuter unit that goes to shelters throughout the area, and 4th year students get a ton of surgery experience during that 2 week elective rotation. Dr. Crauer is awesome, and this year we hired another shelter med clinician in order to expand that rotation and make it available to more students since it's been so popular. There's also a shelter med lecture elective available in 1st/2nd year, and an active shelter med club through which you can get opportunities for surgery experience starting in 1st year.I need a reason too. A legit one, lol.
truth be told, my academic advisor from undergrad told me they liked graduates from my school and that's why I applied
If that's not really your jam, I think just in general all the improvements the school has been making/plans to make would be good to talk about. Just in the time I've been at K-State they've added clinical skills to the 1st and 2nd year curriculum, remodeled the first year anatomy lab and added the microanatomy/radiology lab and first year student success center, opened the Equine Performance Testing Center, and remodeled the first floor lab into another student success center and a clinical skills lab. In the near future they're planning on building a new third year lecture hall, and expanding our Pet Health (i.e. GP) service into where the current lecture hall is (Hill's made a big donation for this). Oh, and we now have a House system (similar to NCSU, Michigan State, etc., the idea is to have a support group of students in other classes, as well as faculty, and there are various friendly competitions throughout the year for house points. I'll admit I've done absolutely nothing to get involved with my house, lol, but it's a nice idea in theory).