Kaplan Tests Vs. Real MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me how you compare Kaplan Tests with the Real MCAT?
Are Kaplan tests easier or harder than the real thing?
My scores with the Kaplan tests were up and down, not very consistant. My average is 30 with Kaplan tests. If I perform about the same way in the real thing, how much could I expect?
Thank you all. Please wish me good luck for tomorrow. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is typical, but I scored 6 points higher on the real MCAT than my average on the Kaplan full-length tests.

The only thing that was really easier on the real MCAT than Kaplan was the PS. The others were comparable. I think Kaplan scales the scores low though.

HTH.

Pam

I found the kaplan practice tests harder than the AAMC practice tests(which I hear are more mcat-esque.) My kaplan ave was about 31, but my AAMC practice tests were about 35. I guess I 'll find out for sure in less than 24hrs!

Members don't see this ad :)
My Kaplan scores were pretty steady near the end of the course (last summer), and my real MCAT score was on par with that, a point lower than my highest Kaplan and a point higher than my last Kaplan, I think. So in my case they were pretty close, I guess.

A comparison of my Kaplan experience and the Real MCAT...April '99
---------------------------------------------
Verbal Reasoning: The real MCAT was a little bit more difficult. I do recall that man of the real MCAT passages averaged about a paragraph longer than Kaplan's. I scored one point less on the real VR than Kaplan's VR.

Physical Sciences: The real MCAT was ridiculously difficult. The real test did a good job (too good a job?) of combining inorganic chem and physics into its passages. Miraculously, I did 1-2 points better than my Kaplan practice exams...for once, I guessed well!

Writing Samples: If med schools don't give a rat's @ss, then neither should you...just as long as you don't blow it (M or below?), you'll be fine.

Biological Sciences: Kaplan was pretty much on par with the real thing. I scored just as well on the real thing as I did on Kaplan's exams.

I would have to disagree with most of you here..
The one Kaplan test I took was MUCH easier than the real thing. The few PR tests I took were a little easier but more comparable. The Berkeley review tests i took (with the course) were much much harder. Their Verbal was just weird...I didn't like it...compared to the real thing.

Verbal: PR was about right. Berkeley was just wierd. Kaplan I don't remember.

Physical: PR was a little easier. Kaplan was much easier. Berkeley Review was much harder but very good.

Biology: PR was about right. Kaplan was easier. BR was pretty hard on some passages, others were easy.

Overall, I would say Kaplan overscored me by about 4 points, PR was about right maybe 2 points either way, and BR scored me under by about 4 points.

Overall, I enjoyed BR b/c I don't like to get my hopes up too much :)