KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are the single most sarcastic person i know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy,

Question: What in the world was that?

Answer: AFFOM. We have discovered a way to intergrate three courses into one test, the subjects are combined in such a way as to confuse medical students while over loading their memory banks, this has been shown in laboratory tests to cause breakdowns in neural pathways, making the MS1 docile and thus easier to manage.

So, all-in-all...we are just part of one big psych research project!

JohnDO, if you didn't receive an email via KCOM email....you need to let me know. I emailed you regarding my love for the OTM key that was hung.

Big sky dreams...who ARE you? I haven't been able to figure it out!

Raise your hand if you should be studying biochemistry right now?

I couldn't believe how S-L-OWWWWWWW Dr. Rearick was talking today.

Eating lunch at the Baltimore Bagels in the commons has saved me lots of money.

If you are doing counterstrain on someone (according to the test key), and they say their pain is at a 70, this is a sign to do inibition (press as hard as you can with no mercy) on the tender point to initiate a sympathetic response. Is this Acute or Chronic? Would their skin turn white or red? Would they be cool or begin sweatting? Would you be feeling ropy or edemic tissue? Would you most likely be slapped or punched? If you are punched, which fingers would not be able to help your make a fist if the patient has ulnar nerve entrapment? If you are punched, resulting in the breakage of the 5th metacarpel, what is this fracture (technically) called? After you are punched, what are the appropriate steps to take to empathize with the patient?

A medical student is unhappy with his/her AFFOM score. He/She goes home and sleeps several hours. Is this A)Acting out B)Denial C)Projecting or D)classified as NO SOMATIC DYSFUNCTION, NORMAL?

To find the mailboxes from TEC-North, you would A) Exit the double doors of tec-north, turn right, continue down the hallway into the commons, go up the stairs.
B) Exit the double doors of tec-north, turn left, continue down the hallway, take a left at the first 'cross' hallway, reach the commons, go up one step into B. Bagels, take a left before reaching the Biochem bulliten board, mailboxes will be on your left.
C) Exit the double doors of tec-north, turn right, continue down hallway, take a right at the first 'cross' hallway, reach commons, go up one step into B. Bagels, continue straight, take left before reaching Biochem bulletin board, mailboxes will be on your right.

Extra credit: What was the 156th word said during the 5th lecture we ever had?

Hope you enjoyed the fruits of my frustration!

:eek:

Have I told you all yet how good it is to be a 3rd year?

At least you all seem to be having a sense of humor about your experiences.

Hang in there guys it gets better. Much Better!

This school is killing me! I thought that studying the notes would be the best way to go for passing the tests, but the only way to pass these damn classes seems to be studying the old exams! I feel like a pariah, yet I feel just in my heart. Am I alone, or does it seem like knowing the material for the exam just isn't enough?
Toran

Toran,
Adopt my new-found philosophy:
"WHATEVER IT TAKES"

I am with you on that one...but, unfortunately, despite interest or wanting to understand material...the main objective is to PASS. I have started to look through ALL old tests I can get my hands on...and it improved my biochem test grade about 20 percentage points from the first biochem test, which I passed..but not with a score of my liking.

The old tests are no good if you are just looking to memorize the question in case you see it again. Hopefully this happens a couple times each test...but if we are actually wanting to learn, that isn't the point of old tests. Essentially, they have helped me make connections with things that I hadn't thought of when I memorized the notes. When I get an old test answer wrong, I have to go back and see why. THIS is where I learn the material the most..not in memorizing the notes.

Also, I highlight all the things in the notes in class that I think are important, but I do NOT use YELLOW..it is reserved. Then, when I go through the old tests (usually about 10-years worth), I highlight in yellow everything covered on an old exam. If the question is worded differently than the statement in the notes, I color a yellow space on the page in the margin and actually write in the words the test used. Generally (the past 3 tests) I have found that there are entire sections that have absolutely no yellow on them...I don't want to assume that this material won't be tested..but it has proven to be so thus far. I learn it..but don't focus on it at all. And, when the 'last minute' studying comes into play the evening or morning before the exam, I focus my attention on the things in yellow.

This worked for Histology, too, and was a very good prediction of what would be on there from both professors.

For anatomy...well....the old tests are much LONGER than what we have been exposed to. So, a lot more gets highlighted than we have EVER been tested over. However, I have found them helpful in establishing what kind of relationships the anatomy teachers are looking for. ALSO, the BRS anatomy book was a BIG help on the AFFOM anatomy part. It actually had some of the same questions on old exams..and on this one...and it puts things into different perspective.

The BRS biochem book is also good...on this last test, it really tied all the pathways together....which I felt wasn't done in our notes very well. Also, it had really good review questions, a few of which were on our exam.

Let me know if you want to have a look at my notes...it's not an organized method..but it is a method.
-L.

Howdy,

T,

I second that. Not a perfect correlation by any means, and not a substitute for learning the material, but for fine tuning I believe this is essential. I don't like it, however the teaching staff expects us (from their orientation talks) to have access to these tests for study purposes. Bio, Histo, OMT, & Gross all mentioned the value of reviewing old exams to become familiar with the language and format.

Am I a sell outfor using the old exams to test myself? Good question.

Anyway...after Histo we can all have lunch or something and talk ...

Study effectively and efficiently.

Thanks guys for the response. I am currently in the position where I don't know if I will be invited back next quarter because I am bordering a 65% in bio and anat. I am sick right now (just woke up to get some water and get rid of my head ache), and need some luck for the histo final. Tomorrow will hopefully be more productive than my 4 hours today with a throbbing sinus headache.
Next quarter though, if I am here I will put all of your suggestions to use. I just don't think that at this point it would be time effecient. I am using old exams to quiz myself, and to relearn material.

Any other suggestions or encouraging thoughts?
T

double elle,

i think that, if Toran and I work together, we could probably kick your butt.

Toran,
I wish I'd have read your last post before now. Sorry about your situation. However, if you want to get together before this next test...to try a different approach, you are more than welcome to study with us. Never know...it may work.

I can't comment on Histo....that was brutal. I am just glad I did okay on the stuff till now. Having to study for that final would have pushed me over the edge more so than I am now.

Hang in there!
L.

Toran make sure to ask for help from a tutor, instructor etc. That can go a long way with promotion board if by some chance you would fail a class.

To the rest of you all DO NOT USE OLD TESTS FOR ANATOMY! The anatomy department (unlike the rest of KCOM) rotate which instructors teach different material every year therefor what one instructor thought was important and tested on may not be important to the one teaching it next year.

Somewhere though (maybe in the library) is a compilation of the questions used in previous years fuctional questions for anatomy quizes. Those might be helpful.

Good luck all, you will make it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm...Carrie,
I hadn't heard about the collection of functional questions floating about. Sounds like something I need to get my hands on!
Any more information?

Any thoughts on the UNITED WAY to passing gross? Not only is this idea illegal, but is it really ethical?
Any thoughts...

shut up, toran.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Yeah, shut up, Toran!

If they would double the points ...I would write out a check for double the cash...TODAY!

I don't know how illegal/unethical/etc it is..but I think it's nice that they are offering an incentive....and from the anatomy department, no less!!!!!!

Hmmm..We've had 60 test points to date..so, they are offering 10% of their test points in EC...can't ask for much more.

I don't think it's any big deal...clubs and companies are always entering names in drawings for people who raised the most money for this or that...makes it fun and a little competitive.

Okay..bottom line...I could use the help!

besides, think of the children--that's what it is REALLY all about, right?

:rolleyes:

Now it's ONLY about the children!

Do I smell rain? I think a STORM may be coming . . . hmmm

John DO,
Haven't you learned that the ONLY want to tell for sure if a STORM is on it's way is to look at your patients and watch for joint disorders...such as Valgus and Varus signs,
a talus that is anterio-medial, or a fibular head that has been pushed posterio-medial? (or is it posterio-lateral???) Not to mention, when there is a STORM brewing, you will find tenderness and edema in the suprapatellar, superficial-patellar, superficial-calcaneal, and pre-patellar bursas.

Oh, and I almost forgot...it is almost 100% that a storm my be coming when you find inflammation of the 5th metatarsal...this is because the fibular head is affected by the storm (see above), resulting in a degree of pulling on the fibularis brevis, which then results in the 5th metatarsal bone being yanked on. Yeah, see...it's all connected. The cool part of it...it's all predicted by weather...so, we just need to drop out now and go to meteorology school.

the weather of a nation is found in the fascia . . .

A.T. Still (paraphrased)

oh, yeah, and something about a talking biscuit . . .

Wow,

And I thought it was bad when Degenhart had us "feeling the intrinsic properties"(TART) of the OTM table for 30 full minutes. It sounds like Yates is going to be the KTVO weatherman.

P.S. I read a few posts of the woes of Anatomy/Histology - Don't sweat it guys, things get better. Maybe not easier, but better. ;)

The talking biscuit told me that the AFFOM is about hurting the needy children, with the yellow snow.
T

Howdy,

Nov 10, 2001

Just a friendly reminder to Stop wasting time and get back to Biochem or Gross. Do well and study effectively!

;)

Oh yeah. Thanks BSD; I needed direction.

by replying here now, I know that you know that I am taking a break...
That has to be effective somehow....
Breaks are a necessary evil
Well, I guess that marks the end of my break.
I may be sleeping in break out room one tonight..
T

WOOHOOHOO! I GET TO STAY ANOTHER QUARTER!!!

Hey Kirksvillians,
I forgot to ask whilst I was there interviewing last week...How long do classes go every day? I'm trying to decide between KCOM and NOVA and its tough. NOVA has brand new everything and HARVEY and the beach and good jobs for my wife and summers off and enough hospitals to do all your rotations locally. But, KCOM has a kick-ass curriculum and a safer friendlier community and rockin board pass rates and wired lecture halls and those freakin cool electronic white boards and a connected hospital and that surgical techniques class. Argh! :mad: Nova has classes till 5 every day with mandatory attendance. Does KCOM have mandatory attendance? NOVA has resources of a school with 30k students and a dean that hosts parties for the med grunts on his yacht. Kirksville has that supercenter walmart ....Help me!

I'm a first year at KCOM so this might be a little biases, but here's my view. We do not have mandatory attendance except for Anatomy and OMM labs. The schedule varies from day to day. Sometimes we're in class from 8-5, sometimes just for a couple hours and sometimes not at all. We also don't have a dress code, and I think NOVA does but I'm not sure. The community is also a big thing to consider. I'm from a big city and there are times I get frustrated with small town living, but there are things to do to get away from the books for awhile. KCOM is great about getting spouses involved in IM sports and other activities. The faculty and staff are really good about getting to know everyone and the Deans do, on occasion, throw parties for the students...not on a yacht but maybe on a pontoon boat??? Good luck with your decision!

When/if you come to Kirksville, be prepared to depend on the intrinsic values of the people and the school itself for your sanity. Most of us are a tight knit group forming a fraternal bond through mutual isolation. What's the end result? A very positive medical school experience lacking in almost nothing and receiving many advantages that larger schools can't offer. And I can promise you will get to know your fellow students better here than at most other schools.

For those of you 05'ers still reading this thread...
This was the third post at the beginning of this thread. I thought it was funny to read now that we have completed our FIRST QUARTER!!

Posted by someone (who will remain anonymous) after returning from his interview:

"The curriculum was the strongest also. The focus was not on memorization but critical thinking in the medical sence. I was also impressed with the integration approach to learning. All the classes were on the same page teaching about the same system. "

I got a little chuckle. No focus on memorization? Right. Haha

What a DUFUS!!

Originally posted by Slingblade the Surgeon:
•Hey Kirksvillians,
I forgot to ask whilst I was there interviewing last week...How long do classes go every day? I'm trying to decide between KCOM and NOVA and its tough. NOVA has brand new everything and HARVEY and the beach and good jobs for my wife and summers off and enough hospitals to do all your rotations locally. But, KCOM has a kick-ass curriculum and a safer friendlier community and rockin board pass rates and wired lecture halls and those freakin cool electronic white boards and a connected hospital and that surgical techniques class. Argh! :mad: Nova has classes till 5 every day with mandatory attendance. Does KCOM have mandatory attendance? NOVA has resources of a school with 30k students and a dean that hosts parties for the med grunts on his yacht. Kirksville has that supercenter walmart ....Help me!•••

Slingblade,

KCOM has a demanding lecture schedule, but NO -- there is no attendance policy. You have complete freedom your first-year, and most of your second, to see whose lectures are worth attending -- and using the times you skip to accomplish other things. Virtually every class will mention the possibility for in-class pop quizzes...I have never heard of single one being given, no matter how ****ty the attendance was/is.

Now, can K'ville compare in things to see & do with a FL coast...HELL NO! But, there are things that you can get in K'ville that are rarely found anywhere else: there are still folks who leave their cars running to run into the store -- it is that safe! Also, you'll never have to worry about verb tense, none of the natives know what it is! <just kidding, sorta>

Your education...I can't speak for NOVA, but I do know that many of the DO schools have a tendancy to throw you to the wolves for your 3rd & 4th year. KCOM does not -- it is one of the most well organized of the schools, in my opinion.

My friend, you have tough decision...just be glad you have to make such a choice in lieu of getting only rejections. I wish you the best!

I hope you don't mind me using your forum to send out a massive thank you! :)
Hubby and I just returned from his interview at KCOM and it was truly unbelievable! We are both still flying high from the great school and the great people.
I am not sure how to contact everyone that we were able to meet while we were there, so I just wanted to send a thank you to everyone for taking the time to chat for short or long times and for making us feel so welcome. I personally really appreciated that I was included as much as hubby in all interaction and made to feel so much a part of the whole process. That was awesome!
Anyways, even if it doesn't work out for us to go there this year, we really had a wonderful trip and lots of fun!
Congratulations on surviving the first quarter!! Now get off the computer and go enjoy your break!! :)
Wifty

OMD,
Is someone else using your login here at SDN? I can not believe somethings about KCOM in the last week on SDN than you said in 2 years in K'ville (Maybe I am exaggerating a little bit) KCOM is great but it is starting to sound like it is a bed of roses on this thread, especially when you type. of the things you are writing. You have said more positive.

enjoy your thanksgiving break.

Hindsight is 20/400!!

Originally posted by Hskermdic:
•OMD,
Is someone else using your login here at SDN? I can not believe somethings about KCOM in the last week on SDN than you said in 2 years in K'ville (Maybe I am exaggerating a little bit) KCOM is great but it is starting to sound like it is a bed of roses on this thread, especially when you type. of the things you are writing. You have said more positive.

enjoy your thanksgiving break.•••

Carrie,

As the poster above me points out -- hindsight is 20/400. It is very easy to loose your objectivity when you're embroiled in 8 lecture days for 2 years. It makes having to deal with some of the stupid minor **** seem like a huge mountain. When I look back, some of the stuff that used to really get my knickers in a twist, while legitimate gripes, would have never gotten me so fired up under less stressful circumstances.

And, as we all wondered...how much smoke were they blowing up our collective derrieres when they harped on & on about how well prepared we're gonna be vs the other schools' students -- well, I have found it to be largely true. And, it is not just me...I have a number of preceptors comment on it, as have the other students here in Saginaw -- those would be MD students, as I am 1 of only 2 DO students that are here.

So, I guess I am having to eat a smidgen of crow...serves me right for letting the stress get the better of me.

Now, my positions all still stnad when it comes to our FAVORITE department!! But, to be perfectly honest, I have done a wee bit of OMM at my rural FP clerkship that I just completed. Both of the MDs that I worked with are very interested in it...one of them has even taken a feww OMM courses with the medical students @ MSU. We talked some OMM-shop, tried to define its limits of usefulness & applicability and I even taught him some thoracic & lumbar techniques.

NO, I am not becoming a church-going, flag-waving OMMer...but I do feel there is significant merit to the art and wish to define what roll it will play in my professional career.

Carrie --- HAVE A WONDERFUL THANSGIVING!!!

...you would be surprised at much clearer your vision is once you leave the K'ville experience! You realize just how damned good an education you have gotten...despite having to cope with a few bozos!

Hurry back!!!! I am missing all you people!!!!!

OMD,

YOU...WHAT...OMM TX? I think that explains why K'ville (hell) got so cold last week.

Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Right now Funk is talking about paraspinal inhibition and rib-raising. Got to go and pay attention.

Sweaty Paul :eek:

Hi all. Just wondering if you could help me out.
Our families want 'christmas wish lists', and I want to put things on it that we could use next year. :)

Stethscope, exam gloves, scrubs....what else?

Any tips, hints, thoughts about the above or anything else....would be great!! ;-)

Mind racing,
Wifty

What not to ask for:
- medical equipment, you can get it cheaper through the schools equipment sale unless your family wanted to chip in towards it (The set costs in the $500 ballpark)
- any texts books (you don't need most of them and the ones you do need you can get cheaper used from 2nd years)

What I would ask for:
- a good stethoscope (you don't need top of the line but a good quality one is nice, such as a medium or upper quality littman)
- A Netter Atlas of Human antatomy (required)
- Rohen Color Atlas of Anatomy. (optional but a great resource)
- one par of scrubs would be good to wear for anatomy lab but you can wear anything (some say wear a lab coat but it always made me too hot so I didn't)
- Highlighters (you may think I am kidding but I am not)
- money towards your microscope usage (around $250 for my class) which will be due this summer
- money for old test files (a must have around $100 due this summer)
- money for Note SErvice (a must have around $125)
- a book called First Aid for the Boards (not to study for boards but to help give you the high points for a topic for a review or if you are having a hard time getting it)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY SOMETHING FUN TO DO OR PLAY WITH BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST. Enjoy your free time while you have it. It will be a nice memory to look back on when you are too rapped up in school and Kirksville to be able to go out and do some of these things.

how about a gift certificate to a bed & breakfast, or a day spa? The medical school stuff can wait!!! There will be plenty of chances to buy all that stuff between now and next year. Or, better yet...have the family go in on a little vacation getaway.

HOWEVER...getting things now would save money..but I would say wait on the scrubs. You'll need old, smelly ones for anatomy...and we will be HAPPY to sell you the ones we used this year! You will also have a chance to buy a discounted stethescope during first quarter.

Stuff that I, personally, use and like quite a lot...the NETTER CDROM for Anatomy...and the
A.D.A.M Interactive Atlas of Anatomy CDROM (student edition) The netter one is about 90 bucks and the ADAM can be bought off the internet for about 50-60. I use them both in different ways..so one is really not 'better' than the other in my opinion. But, the netter cd has pictures that are identical to the ones in the book..and with ADAM, you can dissect layer by layer. It's pretty cool.

A sturdy back-pack will also come in handy...

If you find binders on sale....GET THEM..the thick, strong ones.

A 'book-prop' is a must so you don't have to look down all the time.

I have a 3X4 white-erase board hanging in my home 'office' that has been essential for writing out biochem pathways and such. And don't forget PLENTY of markers!!!

I don't know if you can do this or not...but you can ask your family to get you gift certificates for airlines...so you can go home more easily for the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas). I don't know if that's possible....

Anyway, those are some ideas of things I have had to buy here and there. I would wait to buy the big stuff for when you are here...just because we get a discount and a good service plan. The flip side to that is if you get things now, gifts or not..you can spread the cost out over a long period of time. On equipment sale day, I spent over 900 bucks..but I went a little nutso with it.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your winter/spring/and summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phone cards if you have friends and family far away that you will want to talk to. Sam's Club usually has a really good deal on them...1000 minutes for $35. My boyfriend is 600 miles away and it's so nice not to get huge long distance bills.

Here would be my top list of things to ask for before getting to kirksville.

1. A really nice, strong backpack. Don't skimp on this. Get one of those nice ergonomically correct ones. You will be carrying it around just as much as your wallet or purse. It will be your best friend.

2. Very comfortable shoes, like a nice pair of clogs or slip-ons. They are very faddish among med-students, mainly because they are so comfortable. Keep your feet happy!! You will be using them a lot.

3. A nice comfortable study chair. I would make it a lounger or something, or a nice ergonomic office chair. You will spending a lot of time on your butt as well as your feet. (I wouldn't worry about really nice bedding supplies, you won't be seeing those much) Ha just kidding. Not really though.

4. Lots of highlighters, definitely a book stand.

5. If you don't have a nice PDA (Palm Pilot) they are great. Sure you might not see a great necessity for them now, but it is good to start learning to use one. A lot of rotation sites and most residencies are requiring them by now. THere is nothing like being able to carry around the Merck manual, a drug database, the Physicians Desk reference, etc. all in something the size of a calculator. (Those books add up to some major poundage)

I wouldn't spend much on books or medical supplies. You will find great discounted deals. besides, that's what all that loan money is for, right??