KCOM class of 2005 meeting room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sometimes I feel as though I am just talking with myself

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy,

From Breakout Room One

Sat 01/09/01

Biochem, Biochem, Biochem. Histo.

Three years, Forty nine week and five days to go!

T - I hear you!

Originally posted by Toran:
•what up doc?

I think that histo just officially kicked my a$$!

Toran
"NO SLEEP 'TIL BROOKLYN"•

ROFLMOA!! You guys soound just like me bitching 2 years ago!!!!

Words to the wise - Dr. Patrick, if it is underlined in his noates --> IT WILL BE TESTED UPON!

Dr. Mock - super nice guy, just like patrick is...however, he will sand-bag your @$$! If he says it's easy, NEVER believe him! It IS easy if you've had a Ph.D. in it for >30 years.

For them as a whole - if they burn your @$$e$ on a quizzie, USUALLY, the next one will be a gimme -- and then the next one will cook your goose again...the cycle continues!

Best of luck to you guys -- I can hardly wait until you are half-way thru your second year...cause by then, I WILL BE A DOC!!!

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by double elle:
•what I am wondering....what is the difference between a 'quiz' and an 'exam'..
when you have to study the exact same for both??? That doesn't seem to make sense.

If anyone can make sense of it for me...I'd really appreciate it! I mean, after studying for this quiz, I feel like we just need to go ahead and have the real exam..because I am not studying any differently for tomorrow's quiz..."know everything"
...that's an exam thing, isn't it?•

Linda,

I hope you are enjoying med school so far...don't worry, it gets better -- and much much much harder!

As far as exam vs quiz -- for all of them, in all classes -- you must know everything in depth. This is very much unlike Ugrad, where quizzes are generally overviews or buffer points.

Med school is a form of bulemic learning --> binge and purge, binge & purge.

Plus, almost everyone feels like a lone rice-crispie floating alone in a huge bowl of milk trying figure out what in the hell they are doing and how to survive. You will begin to learn how to survive and you will become much much more efficient in learning/studying. Trust me...

Howdy,

OMD - Thanks, I needed to hear that tonight.

Everyone who posts---
I hear you all... Histo is no fun. Just FYI though, the concensous from the MSII's is that we are getting it REALLY bad right now, and that it doesn't get much worse. This is encouraging news, at least for me...since all this Histo stuff is new for me. We'll get through it....just laugh at it.
JohnDoe, what happened to OSU this weekend? Too bad. At least Truman won.

Nobody goes to OSU-COM for the football! Although their web server is known as Histo-Pete (heehee).

You know, maybe school wouldn't be so hard for us if we would spend LESS time on SDN--especially Toran!! ;)

Originally posted by BigSkyDreams:
•Howdy,

From Breakout Room One

Sat 01/09/01

Biochem, Biochem, Biochem. Histo.

Three years, Forty nine week and five days to go!

T - I hear you!•

I'm going to be hanging outside BO1 to see who you are! Let me in, BigSkye--who are you??

I don't know what you're talking about John!

I only spend a couple of hours a day on........SDN

Toran

ps. I know who Bigskydreams is!

I think that there is just a lot of ganging up on Toran going on! What is that crap all about?

Test, followed by a "quiz", and then a little screening...Followed by a beer or three...then some more tests....
Sound like medical school?
Toran

I just want to let you know that I'm 'still' watching my students. Enjoy my school. :D

Originally posted by A.T. Still:
•I just want to let you know that I'm 'still' watching my students. Enjoy my school. :D

my incense is burning :eek:

YES!!! I finally cracked the code and figured out who you are, BigSky!! Don't worry: without the key info from personal conversations I wouldn't have been able to figure it out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Toran,

na-nee-na-nee-boo-boo :D

i didn't need your help after all . . .

I should hope not! If your able to follow Mock, you should be able to figure BSD

I think that you spend more time on this site than me though, better watch your time management!

T

Howdy,

Now that I've finally met everyone (I think), thanks for making as much fun not to be known as putting a face with the personality. I really wasn't trying to stay anonymous it just worked out that way.

The things I've read make so much more...er...well it is great to meet everyone anyway.

Long live Biochem!

Originally posted by A.T. Still:
•I just want to let you know that I'm 'still' watching my students. Enjoy my school. :D

Nice to hear from your ancient, decomposed self...will keep an eye out for you. I have a few questions about biscuits and that soul<-->fascia BS!

:D

OMD,
Thats real osteopathic of you.

did you like us better before meeting us personally, bigsky?

Howdy,

Folks online are 2D and you only see what they want you too. I'd rather talk face to face, however the forum lets me think through a response, which for a 286 MHz thinker like me is a bonus.

No, John DO, I wouldn't say that I liked you before I met you either... I mean more...liked you more before I met you. :D

Have a great Kirksville fun packed weekend.

oh i get it. i make a poor impression online, unfortunately. i had not formed a lot of impressions before meeting everyone; although, i was taken aback by bustin booty. . .

Originally posted by Hskermdic:
•OMD,
Thats real osteopathic of you.•

Thanks Carrie! I was hoping you'd notice...also was wondering if this might be the return of the same A.T. that loved to e-mail the class a couple of summers ago. What do you think?

alright John DO, BSD come on now guys...We are all getting a little punchy on not enough sleep. Can't we all just be friends?

Good luck with the weekend studying

T

sorry, toran. i have already shared with bb about my surprise when i met him--i was surprised how light was his skin . . . don't know why. just goes to show how you can misinterpret someone's online identity!

hope all is going better for you guys than my biochem test went! if i don't watch out, the only way i'll ever visit with you is online . . . if you get my drift!

Yes, you must be very wary of the Dark Lord (Cenedella) and the boys -- they will sneek up and bite you on the @$$! Their tests are tough and VERY detail oriented.

Tricks to learn for BioChem --

Cenedella - pay attention to his lectures, if he considers it important, he will say it a couple of time (maybe in separate lectures) and he will have drawn attention to it in the notepack. He is also notorious for testing on info contained in the blurbs under diagrams he supplies and in his appendices.

Willingham - OLD TESTS -- AND, if he says it will not be on the test, it most likely will be.

Rearick - Mr. Enzyme: KNOW the details and be able to duplicate the Mikalis-Menton stuff and any equations he gives. Those pesky eqns will not be supplied and you will have to work problems...and, you will tested on their intuitive implications.

Cox - know the minute details and know it well.

Fleschner - teaches pathways galore: know the what enters and exits, the clincher points, the rate limiters, what promotes/inhibits each pathway and how the individual pathways are inter-related, meaning what cmpd is exchanged b/t them.

OH! So that is how you do biochem...

T

Of course, the best comment they have made is that we aren't expected to know this is any kind of detail, just have an understanding. Unfortunately, we have a different perspective on the idea of details, i think!

So now that we have an understanding on how to succeed in biochem...
Can we have a loud roar of disgust for H and E!?

I can't stand studying for classes that have testing results that don't correlate to knowledge base!

T

I have never heard it said better!! For that matter, how about Anatomy? I thought med school was gonna be fun!? I don't like studying for days and feeling like an expert on a subject just to be thrown curve balls!

Originally posted by Toran:
•So now that we have an understanding on how to succeed in biochem...
Can we have a loud roar of disgust for H and E!?

I can't stand studying for classes that have testing results that don't correlate to knowledge base!

T•

Does the good Doctors Mock & Patrick have you down? As a consolations, you are/were and will not be alone! Things get better once you get the hang of memorizing minutia (?sp?) and memorizing ANY unique feature of those slides -- including tears/marks on the labels! ****, to me, they all looked like chewed up watermelon!

Use Histo Image Review!!!!!! Go to the end-of-section quizzes and drill thru them until you have them memorized. In the minutes before each exam/quiz, skip the prior class and drill even more on those damned Image Review photos.

Fourty OMM questions in fifty minutes...
Need a little more time, nope sorry you lose

T

oh, quit whining, toran!! that was the easiest test we've had! save the complaining until that biochem test wednesday--you'll need it!

Howdy,

It's training for HMO work. More cases yet less time.

alright...
Point taken, I agree. Did you know the other room was told that they would have an hour, and then the test was yanked at fifty minutes?
That must have sucked!
Biochem.. Right..!
You know I will still complain next week though. After I complain about the HE exam tomorrow!
T

HE hurt me....
The future of my medical career is being stomped on by undeveloped tissue!
T

glad it's not just me, toran. remember--"med school is just the initiation to be accepted into the fraternity of medicine." your histo grade is NOT a reflection of the caliber of physician you will make!

wow...I can't believe how EASY medical school is! I thought I wouldn't have any free time..and that I wouldn't have any fun. It's totally NOT like that! Once you are in...it's CAKE!

Hmmm...I wondered how it would feel to say that stuff...now, if it were only even 10% true...ahhhhh.....let the dream continue.

(I really just wanted to bump this to the top!)

Howdy,

Free Time? I have close to eight or nine hours of free time a day. I use it to sleep, eat, drive to class, bath, look at dead people, wash the smell of dead people off my hands, etc.

Fun? Plenty of it. I just had to re-define what I think is fun. e.g.

BIOCHEM ROCKS!!!!!!

WHOO-HOOO, HISTO!!!

:D

You guys have lost it--

Double Elle, the color-coded cards have gotten to you!

Oh...John DO, you so little of a man that you have to pick on my little color cards, eh? What did they ever do to you? My cute color cards are only guilty of passing widespread joy throughout the vast halls of KCOM. That's right...they were subliminal little color cards! My 900 psychic lady from Jamaica told me they would work. She also told me there would be a guy from Oklahoma who spoke an ancient Native American language who would be insanely jealous of my little color cards..and I should protect them with my life.

Don't mess with me.
-LL :mad:

Moving on up!
Histo, and biochem, and anatomy... OH MY!

T

anyone feel like it's at least becomming a little more manageable? ....not easier...but manageable? Did I spell that right?

anyone else besides me cycle in and out of the "hey this isn't so bad...geeez this sucks...hey I did okay...wow, I really need to work on that....yay!this is sort of fun... wow, I am never going to make it" ?? I am hoping I am not the only one!

Yes, DoubleL I am feeling like a bipolar med student right now. ...probably as unpredictable as kirksville weather how I am going to feel about school from one hour to the next. Right now it sucks, but maybe I will feel great about it after studying histo slides all night tonight.

I am beginning to be worried about the fact that I can actually differentiate between nervous, cardiac, skeletal, connective tissue, etc. Is it normal to be able to look at a slide and call out its name? I remember when it all looked like hamburger. I am afraid I will be forever damaged by this experience.

Even worse, I can't hug my wife without thinking about the underlying tissues. Nothing is sensual anymore (The rotatores are such turn-offs).

I just read my last post and figured out the problem--

A.T. Still stole my MOJO!

Man, I think that your mojo is still up in the lab if you wanna grab it.
Good luck tomorrow, and this weekend

no that's pseudostratified epithelium--i made the same mistake, but you've got to get those straight before the slide practical!

beg to differ-transitional-your not noticing the bunching

toran, quit wasting time and do something productive. go to my new Class of 2006 thread in Pre-DO and encourage the new kids. try not to scare them away, please (re: don't bring up Uray).

I passed! Hey, this place isn't that bad...
Well, gotta go study now
Uray, yeah he's great! I just don't understand Hungarian...
T