KCU (Joplin) VS WesternU (Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morty Grandson of Rick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Please help me decide :O
I love DO schools and luckily I got accepted to two good DO schools. The Kansas City University of Medicine in Joplin and WesternU in Lebanon, Oregon.

KCU Pros:
1. Strong rotation sites.
2. I love their curriculum
3. $10k cheaper (But I don't care, with the interest it would be a lot anyway)
4. I love their match placement (Location and the residencies)
5. Community and great people

KCU cons:
1. I've never visited Joplin and am not sure if my fiance would like a rural area.
2. the closest big cities are Kansas and St Louis!

WesternU Pros:
1. rotation site near the campus
2. I love their curriculum
3. I love their match placement (Location and the residencies)
4. Love hiking and snow-boarding
5. It is close to Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver
6. Research opportunity

cons:
1. Their placement is awesome but not clear like I don't know who got each residency. For instance, KCU has a youtube video on each seat and name of student next to it.
2. Couldn't find exact rotation sites and focus of a rotation site(for residency purposes)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my personal experience with both institutions, I believe the support system at KCU is unmatched. Although Joplin is technically a satellite campus, KCU does a great job of treating both campuses like they are one institution (I don't think WesternU does well at this but it may be beneficial to get a current student's perspective on that). Also, Lebanon is more rural than Joplin, population for Lebanon is 17k while Joplin is 50k.

Reactions: 1 user
Thread moved to the appropriate forum. KCU is one of the strongest DO programs and saving some money is always nice too.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my personal experience with both institutions, I believe the support system at KCU is unmatched. Although Joplin is technically a satellite campus, KCU does a great job of treating both campuses like they are one institution (I don't think WesternU does well at this but it may be beneficial to get a current student's perspective on that). Also, Lebanon is more rural than Joplin, population for Lebanon is 17k while Joplin is 50k.
Thanks for sharing this. Yes, Lebanon's population is lower but it is closer to nicer cities. Yes I felt the KCU support system is stronger than WesternU

KCU student at Joplin campus about to start 4th year. Feel free to message me any questions!

Reactions: 1 user