KCUMB COB 2020-21 (M.S.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooner98

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I saw that there wasn't a thread for this cycle, so I thought I'd start this for any new students for 2020-21. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a current student if anyone has any questions

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a current student if anyone has any questions
Hey! Had a couple of questions that Im hoping you can answer.
1) Where is a good spot to live? Been searching on google and everything seems to have horrible reviews.
2) How many COB students meet the benchmarks and actually get accepted into COM?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Had a couple of questions that Im hoping you can answer.
1) Where is a good spot to live? Been searching on google and everything seems to have horrible reviews.
2) How many COB students meet the benchmarks and actually get accepted into COM?
Thanks!
Century Towers is right across the street from the school and a lot of students live there. It's not the nicest quality, but it's cheap. Maple Flats is also within walking distance and I think a decent amount of students live there. Personally, I've never seen the inside of Maple Flats, but I think it's about the same quality as Century Towers, maybe a little nicer? Outside of those 2, I think it's pretty scattered. Living downtown can be a little more expensive, but there's a lot of nice options within 10 minutes of the school. There's also some cheaper options up north across the bridge, which is where I lived, and still within 10 minutes of school. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but I felt like there were plenty of options close to the school.

In terms of how many COB get interviewed/accepted, this is the data that I know:
2017 was a class size of 90, 87% went on to medical school somewhere, 56% at KCU.
2018 was a class size of 81, 79% went on to medical school somewhere, 54% at KCU.
2019 was a class size of 112, 72% went on to medical school somewhere, 50% at KCU.
I don't have any data for this year yet, but it seemed like about 70-80ish people interviewed out of a class of 130ish. So far, I think around 20-25 people have been accepted and more will be accepted off of the waitlist over the summer. Few things to keep in mind about these stats are that they update the numbers every year so they include everyone who "got in eventually". That's why past years' classes have higher percentages. They also include acceptances at both KCU campuses: Joplin and KC. Also, the majority of people are planning on medical school, but there are some choosing dental or phd routes or others.

Century Towers is right across the street from the school and a lot of students live there. It's not the nicest quality, but it's cheap. Maple Flats is also within walking distance and I think a decent amount of students live there. Personally, I've never seen the inside of Maple Flats, but I think it's about the same quality as Century Towers, maybe a little nicer? Outside of those 2, I think it's pretty scattered. Living downtown can be a little more expensive, but there's a lot of nice options within 10 minutes of the school. There's also some cheaper options up north across the bridge, which is where I lived, and still within 10 minutes of school. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but I felt like there were plenty of options close to the school.

In terms of how many COB get interviewed/accepted, this is the data that I know:
2017 was a class size of 90, 87% went on to medical school somewhere, 56% at KCU.
2018 was a class size of 81, 79% went on to medical school somewhere, 54% at KCU.
2019 was a class size of 112, 72% went on to medical school somewhere, 50% at KCU.
I don't have any data for this year yet, but it seemed like about 70-80ish people interviewed out of a class of 130ish. So far, I think around 20-25 people have been accepted and more will be accepted off of the waitlist over the summer. Few things to keep in mind about these stats are that they update the numbers every year so they include everyone who "got in eventually". That's why past years' classes have higher percentages. They also include acceptances at both KCU campuses: Joplin and KC. Also, the majority of people are planning on medical school, but there are some choosing dental or phd routes or others.
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response!! tons of really good information here. I'm leaning towards CT because of its proximity and the fact all utilities are included. Helps that its cheap too haha. So would you say that if you perform well in the program (meet the benchmarks) and don't bomb the interview, its a good chance of being accepted?

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response!! tons of really good information here. I'm leaning towards CT because of its proximity and the fact all utilities are included. Helps that its cheap too haha. So would you say that if you perform well in the program (meet the benchmarks) and don't bomb the interview, its a good chance of being accepted?
CT is a good choice, I didn’t live there but it seems like a good environment since almost everyone is a student. Good for getting to know people too.

I would agree with that, but it’s hard for me to say since idk everyones stats. Personally, I had a 4.0 in the first semester and a 503 MCAT, interview went okay I thought, and I got accepted. That being said, I know people with higher MCATs and 4.0’s first semester that are currently on the waitlist. I’m assuming they’ll get in off the waitlist but nothing is guaranteed, which is important to understand. Not sure if you heard this somewhere already, but a 3.6 in the first semester and a 501 MCAT will get you a guaranteed interview during the 2nd semester. If you don’t meet those numbers, you may still get an interview though. Also, you could take the MCAT in January after first semester and they will wait for your score. Not trying to scare anyone but I think it’s important to be fully transparent.

I highly recommend taking the MCAT before school starts.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks both of y'all for the advice. I'm coming in with decent stats already (not sure if that plays a role in COM admission), but gotta get my MCAT up. Final question, would you say that achieving a 3.6 in the first semester is fairly doable?

Thanks both of y'all for the advice. I'm coming in with decent stats already (not sure if that plays a role in COM admission), but gotta get my MCAT up. Final question, would you say that achieving a 3.6 in the first semester is fairly doable?
Getting a 3.6 is very do-able. When are you planning on taking the MCAT?

Getting a 3.6 is very do-able. When are you planning on taking the MCAT?
I had scheduled for 5/21 but I believe it will be cancelled since they've already cancelled all April dates. My current score is 494 (1/18). Completely screwed up and was a result of multiple factors.

I had scheduled for 5/21 but I believe it will be cancelled since they've already cancelled all April dates. My current score is 494 (1/18). Completely screwed up and was a result of multiple factors.
Like Gropey_Monk mentioned, I would recommend taking it before the program begins so you can put your full focus on your classes in this program. They will take January scores, but I would avoid taking it then if possible just because you want to give the MCAT your full focus and getting it out of the way before the program starts is ideal in my opinion. Best of luck on your retake though, and if you or anyone else has any other questions about to program, feel free to reach out on here or PM me!

If anyone is looking for housing, I have a 2bd/2ba apt in downtown available mid july for lease take over. Lease ends Nov. 30th and then you go month to month which is perfect, if you don't plan on staying in KC for the entire year. It is 1.5 miles from school or 1 exit on the highway (3 mins driving). It's a couple blocks from the Rivermarket, P&L, lightrail, and central library. It has fitness center, pool, hot tub, steam room, activity rooms with board games, yard games, golfing, TV, and bar w/fridge and sink. It's right in the heart of the city, super nice, clean, secure, and not Century Towers = ghetto, unsafe neighborhood, and dingy. Rents $1,500 a month w/most utilities included except power and internet. The unit is a corner apt. facing north and west, so you get lots of natural light coming in the enormous windows to fill the 22ft ceilings throughout rooms. Check out the webiste for some photos of the building;

Board of Trade Lofts

PM for more details. Best of luck next year.

2019-2020 COB program is officially done. Feel free to PM if any prospective students have questions

Members don't see this ad :)
So is anyone actually planning to move out there by the 15th if classes will be online until labor day? This situation is stressing me out and I need perspective.

So is anyone actually planning to move out there by the 15th if classes will be online until labor day? This situation is stressing me out and I need perspective.
Have they reached out to incoming COB students or are you going off of what they said for the incoming med students?

We received an email specific to incoming cob students. Basically orientation will be online, classes will be entirely online for the month of August. Then classes will resume in person with the class split in half alternating on campus time after 9/7. The email specifies that we should still move before the semester starts.

We received an email specific to incoming cob students. Basically orientation will be online, classes will be entirely online for the month of August. Then classes will resume in person with the class split in half alternating on campus time after 9/7. The email specifies that we should still move before the semester starts.
Oh that’s interesting. Honestly though I would try not to stress out too much. There’s no labs or anything and lectures all get recorded so I feel like you would be fine if you wanted to wait to relocate to KC. When our class went online, almost everyone went back to their home cities for the last half of the semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted after last minute applying, does anyone recommend any housing that’s not century tower? And do you think it’d be ok to delay move in for the first month since classes are online anyways?

Just got accepted after last minute applying, does anyone recommend any housing that’s not century tower? And do you think it’d be ok to delay move in for the first month since classes are online anyways?

I figure you would be ok delaying a month since a lot of our class just went back to their hometowns once we went virtual. Thing might be different for you guys tho so who knows?

you can email Michelle sparks for info on housing but IMO it largely comes down to location/price. Downtowns nice but can get pricey and north of the river you Can find a bargain but the commute might be tedious.

Hey everyone. I just got accepted to the BMS program for fall 2020. I am a predental student. Is there anyone with a pre-dent background? Also, I am looking for a roommate. I would appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thank you.

The website says that you get a guaranteed interview as long as you have a 3.5 GPA after first semester. Does this mean the MCAT requirement of a 501 is waived now?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the grading system is? Is it scaled grading or percentage cutoffs?

The website says that you get a guaranteed interview as long as you have a 3.5 GPA after first semester. Does this mean the MCAT requirement of a 501 is waived now?

Not sure, but last year people were interviewed before they got their MCAT scores, so they may not weight that requirement as heavily. Don't think they'll waive it but it kind of depends on the COVID situation and how AMCAS is doing testing I guess.

Does anyone know how the grading system is? Is it scaled grading or percentage cutoffs?

We had as a basic A,B,C,F type scale. They do tend to offer EC or 'curve' to 85% since that is what the COM does. Not sure if they are planning on changing anything tho.

Two of the biochem professors (Dr. Zaidi and Dr. Agbas), the immunology professor (Dr. Shnyra) and the epidemiology professor (Dr. Segars), all teach in the med school. Dr. Segars teaches pharmacology in the med school but everyone else teaches the same subjects as in COB.

Hey everyone, I am a current DO student living in century towers which is right across the street from the school. If anyone is looking to move in there, I have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment that is available. It’s on the 10th floor and faces downtown, so it’s a nice view. PM if interested. Thanks!

Hey everyone. I just got accepted to the BMS program for fall 2020. I am a predental student. Is there anyone with a pre-dent background? Also, I am looking for a roommate. I would appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thank you.
Hey Everyone! I was a COB student last year and now a first year Med student. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Kritisha, I know a COB student from last year who is pre-dental and can probably connect you with them if you would like. Just dm me

Anyone considering staying in Linden Heights or looking for a female roommate?
Would rather not stay in CT, looking for something a bit more “modern” lol, but open to the possibility. Just wanna split rent bc it’s wayyyyyy cheaper

Anyone considering staying in Linden Heights or looking for a female roommate?
Would rather not stay in CT, looking for something a bit more “modern” lol, but open to the possibility. Just wanna split rent bc it’s wayyyyyy cheaper

Im looking for a roommate! A place with a short term lease is preferable

Finishing MS-1 at KCU after coming from COB. Can also help answer questions.
Hey, Congrats on the acceptance! I just got accepted to the program and I'm very concerned about not getting in. I have a low MCAT but planning to retake it this spring. I have a 3.4 GPA now. I'm wondering about the guaranteed interview. Is it difficult to get a 3.5 GPA the first semester? Do you know of anyone getting an interview with an MCAT lower than 500- out of curiosity? And what was the most difficult part of the program?

2019-2020 COB program is officially done. Feel free to PM if any prospective students have questions
I was wondering how you were able to fund this program? was it all loans? I was thinking of doing the 2 year program instead of the 1-year track so i can work and financial support myself.