KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the Family Practice Clinic I shadowed at, there was a resident who stayed for a fourth year to get his MBA. I'm pretty sure that residency program helped finance his MBA in return for helping the younger residents.

Edit: I found this on their website about obtaining a masters while doing your residency: "Receiving tuition support for a masters programs – though the exact amount has not been determined, the residency will pay for some or all of your tuition costs for your advanced degree"

so do we have to stay an extra year to do the MBA or we get it done while still doing our residency? cuz it wouldn't be worth it if one had to stay one extra year just to get financial support for his/her MBA.
 
so do we have to stay an extra year to do the MBA or we get it done while still doing our residency? cuz it wouldn't be worth it if one had to stay one extra year just to get financial support for his/her MBA.

For that program, it is an extra year. I'm guessing it depends on the program and maybe at some you can do it in the normal length of your residency.
 
KCUMB has you finish at the same time as the rest of your class. This is from the KCUMB website...

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine/M.B.A. in Healthcare Leadership
As a student in the doctor of osteopathic medicine/M.B.A. in healthcare leadership dual-degree program, which is unique among U.S. medical schools, you learn how business practices and processes work together to create efficient health-care managerial systems. Your M.B.A. coursework is carefully integrated into your KCUMB curriculum, allowing you to complete both programs on time and graduate with other members of your KCUMB class. M.B.A. coursework begins during the summer between your first and second years of medical school. You will not take courses in both programs simultaneously, except for two distance-learning M.B.A. electives during the final two years of your clinical clerkships.

Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KCUMB has you finish at the same time as the rest of your class. This is from the KCUMB website...

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine/M.B.A. in Healthcare Leadership
As a student in the doctor of osteopathic medicine/M.B.A. in healthcare leadership dual-degree program, which is unique among U.S. medical schools, you learn how business practices and processes work together to create efficient health-care managerial systems. Your M.B.A. coursework is carefully integrated into your KCUMB curriculum, allowing you to complete both programs on time and graduate with other members of your KCUMB class. M.B.A. coursework begins during the summer between your first and second years of medical school. You will not take courses in both programs simultaneously, except for two distance-learning M.B.A. electives during the final two years of your clinical clerkships.

Hope this helps.

This is correct which is pretty awesome. But what we were saying was if you decide to get your MBA during your residency (to get financial support from your residency program rather than doing it in med school which costs you 30K)
 
This is correct which is pretty awesome. But what we were saying was if you decide to get your MBA during your residency (to get financial support from your residency program rather than doing it in med school which costs you 30K)

Gotcha, yeah, I think that doing 40 credits plus residency would be INSANE. Just my opinion...
 
Gotcha, yeah, I think that doing 40 credits plus residency would be INSANE. Just my opinion...

For the residency program I mentioned, they start it in your second year and have it complete by the end of your fourth year. So it is still over three years like it would be a KCUMB.
 
For the residency program I mentioned, they start it in your second year and have it complete by the end of your fourth year. So it is still over three years like it would be a KCUMB.

But you are taking classes while being a resident. The KCUMB program says that you don't do any credits for the MBA at the same time as the DO. I think that is a huge difference. From what I have heard about years one and two of residency, only if I were going into primary care would I worry about the debt. I have been watching job offers for anesthesiology positions and most of them include a bonus to help pay off your loans... I think it would be significantly more difficult to do the MBA in residency... just my opinion.
 
But you are taking classes while being a resident. The KCUMB program says that you don't do any credits for the MBA at the same time as the DO. I think that is a huge difference. From what I have heard about years one and two of residency, only if I were going into primary care would I worry about the debt. I have been watching job offers for anesthesiology positions and most of them include a bonus to help pay off your loans... I think it would be significantly more difficult to do the MBA in residency... just my opinion.

I agree.

Within the DO/MBA Dual Degree, the Rockhurst MBA in Health Care Leadership is concentrated in the two summer semesters between the first and third years and the fall semester of the third year.
I think this is a huge difference...specially considering the 80 hour work load during residency.

here's some more details regarding the program:

It features 39 credit hours of in-residence coursework, 6 credit hours of blended in-class and online coursework during the second and third years of medical studies, and 6 hours of web-based distance learning courses taken during the D.O. degree clinical rotations in the final year.
 
Last edited:
I just realized something else...it says that we take MBA courses in the summer which is good, it doesn't interfere with med schoool work load...BUT isn't summer the only time med students study for their USMLE and COMLEX?????
 
can you elaborate?

There are lots of employers that will provide tuition reimbursement (usually this requires you to agree to stay with them for a certain period of time afterwards). So you may find a practice that will agree to pay for your MBA, if you agree to remain with them for a certain number of years after you earn your master's (I think 2-3 years is average, but not sure).
 
I just realized something else...it says that we take MBA courses in the summer which is good, it doesn't interfere with med schoool work load...BUT isn't summer the only time med students study for their USMLE and COMLEX?????

Well, I can't speak for how things are now, but my class had a tough time with board study time in general, due to a summer session we all had to take, called MDM. Those who were in the MBA program probably had an even greater challenge, if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on this, because I wasn't in the MBA program, but I think many of those who were in the program, had to, or chose to (I don't remember which), sign up for and take their boards fairly early. I believe this was to help avoid overlap between summer classes they had to take and board studying. During this time, several of my classmates who were in the MBA program expressed grief about being in the program and at least one person I know dropped it all together.

Again, I don't know how things are now, because the curriculum has since changed. But, yeah, I'm imagining that it is something you will want to clarify before enrolling into the MBA program.

A majority of my class began board review in January, in timing with the start of Kaplan. The vast majority took the Kaplan review classes. They, of course, coincided with our regular classes. I don't recall much, if any, dedicated study time for boards, but again, this may have changed since my time. If I remember correctly, even though I started studying January, I really began accelerating my efforts in the final two or so months prior to taking boards.
 
Well, I can't speak for how things are now, but my class had a tough time with board study time in general, due to a summer session we all had to take, called MDM. Those who were in the MBA program probably had an even greater challenge, if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on this, because I wasn't in the MBA program, but I think many of those who were in the program, had to, or chose to (I don't remember which), sign up for and take their boards fairly early. I believe this was to help avoid overlap between summer classes they had to take and board studying. During this time, several of my classmates who were in the MBA program expressed grief about being in the program and at least one person I know dropped it all together.

Again, I don't know how things are now, because the curriculum has since changed. But, yeah, I'm imagining that it is something you will want to clarify before enrolling into the MBA program.

A majority of my class began board review in January, in timing with the start of Kaplan. The vast majority took the Kaplan review classes. They, of course, coincided with our regular classes. I don't recall much, if any, dedicated study time for boards, but again, this may have changed since my time. If I remember correctly, even though I started studying January, I really began accelerating my efforts in the final two or so months prior to taking boards.

thanks for clarifying...now I think it is more important to do well on boards which help you land a good residency and then worry about MBA....because a not-so-good residency with MBA is just not pretty...
 
Is it to late to submit my secondary here?... As in, is there a point this late in the cycle or a chance at all?

I have 3.81 GPA about 3.67 science 3.9 nonscience. 26q.. yikes
 
Is it to late to submit my secondary here?... As in, is there a point this late in the cycle or a chance at all?

I have 3.81 GPA about 3.67 science 3.9 nonscience. 26q.. yikes

your stat are identical to mine...3.8+26...when I sent my secondary in dec 1, I received an interview a week after...KCUMB is very fast...and it's just 50$ so just go ahead and send it...worst is you lose 50 bucks..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may be mixing programs up, but I believe that you don't choose to go into the MBA program until after your first year. Someone (the ever elusive someone) told me that you have to do well first year to even be considered for the program. Don't quote me on this, because I might be mixing the MBA up with the masters in anatomy program (which I am leaning more towards).

Maybe someone on here can clarify for us, or has heard different?
 
I may be mixing programs up, but I believe that you don't choose to go into the MBA program until after your first year. Someone (the ever elusive someone) told me that you have to do well first year to even be considered for the program. Don't quote me on this, because I might be mixing the MBA up with the masters in anatomy program (which I am leaning more towards).

Maybe someone on here can clarify for us, or has heard different?

that's what I heard too. and it's not like you choose to go to DO/MBA. you need to be admitted.
 
I may be mixing programs up, but I believe that you don't choose to go into the MBA program until after your first year. Someone (the ever elusive someone) told me that you have to do well first year to even be considered for the program. Don't quote me on this, because I might be mixing the MBA up with the masters in anatomy program (which I am leaning more towards).

Maybe someone on here can clarify for us, or has heard different?

This is true. You apply for the program, and that's not until second semester I believe. Makes sense, since MBA classes don't start until the following summer.

Does anyone even know anything about Rockhurst's business school? I've heard that if your business degree isn't from a top school it isn't really worth anything, and Rockhurst isn't on any rankings.
 
News on KCUMB Website - Century towers to offer scholarships to 1 first year student and 1 second year student.

First year - a year of free rent at CT plus $1000 - based on financial need
Second year - a year of half price rent pkus $1000 - based on scholarship

Applications due by Feb 1

http://www.kcumb.edu/NewsDetail.asp?id=78
 
I know some of you may be looking for places to live. If anyone moves to Madison at Walnut Creek just for saying I am your reference they give me a $500 award. I will give you guys $200 of that if you use me as a reference. So please pm me if you are looking there so I can give you my info.
 
All you KCUMB black ops players out there, add me on live megathund3r. Let's get this party started a couple months early 😀

Ps moosey, sorry i wasn't on last night, got held over at work and got home way late.


I'm there gentlemen! add me xMERKINATORx

ill add you sometime this evening!
 
I know some of you may be looking for places to live. If anyone moves to Madison at Walnut Creek just for saying I am your reference they give me a $500 award. I will give you guys $200 of that if you use me as a reference. So please pm me if you are looking there so I can give you my info.


my wife and i are coming up there in a few weeks to find a place to live, we'll check those out and i'll def give you as a reference if we live there! how is it living there? price? drive to school?
 
Hey is there anyone else who is going to attend KCUMB and applying for HPSP Air Force?? Or anyone currently at KCUMB who is in the Air Force?
 
your stat are identical to mine...3.8+26...when I sent my secondary in dec 1, I received an interview a week after...KCUMB is very fast...and it's just 50$ so just go ahead and send it...worst is you lose 50 bucks..

I agree that it's not too late and that they are really fast. They emailed me about an interview a week after my last LOR was sent. Even if you are way out of state like me they are still fast. Good luck!
 
my wife and i are coming up there in a few weeks to find a place to live, we'll check those out and i'll def give you as a reference if we live there! how is it living there? price? drive to school?

Got you on pm just for others to see though... we pay 750/month +20ish gas,water, +$50-150 electric (air, heat, oven, everything). Its 1025 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 closets, a storage room outside on the balcony/porch, and old school kitchen w/dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer/dryer hookups (you have to bring your own or rent like $40/month). About 5-7 min drive to school. I really like it but my girlfriend doesnt so we may or may not move next year.
 
INTERVIEW 2/15! Just got the email this morning.
Fiancee isn't too keen on me missing V-day, but I told her there are many more Feb 14's in our future. The more I've researched, the more I like this school. I'm sure that'll continue in the upcoming weeks!
 
Hi!

I'm a new member but I've been reading sdn for the past several months and it's been so hopeful!

I'm so excited for KCUMB next year but I still need to do that Genetics course requirement.......does anyone know where I can find an online course to complete it? The admissions office told me UC Berkeley extension has a program but I want to see if there are any other options. Any opinions would be great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got you on pm just for others to see though... we pay 750/month +20ish gas,water, +$50-150 electric (air, heat, oven, everything). Its 1025 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 closets, a storage room outside on the balcony/porch, and old school kitchen w/dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer/dryer hookups (you have to bring your own or rent like $40/month). About 5-7 min drive to school. I really like it but my girlfriend doesnt so we may or may not move next year.

hey dk, I'm definitely interested. Saw the website and the prices and photos look good. Damn I forgot how cheap the midwest was!! OK, PMing you now 🙂
 
Hi!

I'm a new member but I've been reading sdn for the past several months and it's been so hopeful!

I'm so excited for KCUMB next year but I still need to do that Genetics course requirement.......does anyone know where I can find an online course to complete it? The admissions office told me UC Berkeley extension has a program but I want to see if there are any other options. Any opinions would be great!

A student ambassador at the interview told our group that BYU offers an online course to fulfill this pre-req. You just need to find a local proctor for the exam but everything else is online.
 
INTERVIEW 2/15! Just got the email this morning.
Fiancee isn't too keen on me missing V-day, but I told her there are many more Feb 14's in our future. The more I've researched, the more I like this school. I'm sure that'll continue in the upcoming weeks!

i just got the invite for 2/15 as well. i'll be seeing you then!
 
I'm there gentlemen! add me xMERKINATORx

ill add you sometime this evening!

Sweet, I'll accept next time I'm on which may be this weekend since I've been way busy recently.

Good luck to everyone interviewing, you're in for a treat this school is amazing!
 
Originally Posted by btricycle
INTERVIEW 2/15! Just got the email this morning.
Fiancee isn't too keen on me missing V-day, but I told her there are many more Feb 14's in our future. The more I've researched, the more I like this school. I'm sure that'll continue in the upcoming weeks!

i just got the invite for 2/15 as well. i'll be seeing you then!

Good luck to both of you! 🙂
 
Well, I can't speak for how things are now, but my class had a tough time with board study time in general, due to a summer session we all had to take, called MDM. Those who were in the MBA program probably had an even greater challenge, if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on this, because I wasn't in the MBA program, but I think many of those who were in the program, had to, or chose to (I don't remember which), sign up for and take their boards fairly early. I believe this was to help avoid overlap between summer classes they had to take and board studying. During this time, several of my classmates who were in the MBA program expressed grief about being in the program and at least one person I know dropped it all together.

Again, I don't know how things are now, because the curriculum has since changed. But, yeah, I'm imagining that it is something you will want to clarify before enrolling into the MBA program.

A majority of my class began board review in January, in timing with the start of Kaplan. The vast majority took the Kaplan review classes. They, of course, coincided with our regular classes. I don't recall much, if any, dedicated study time for boards, but again, this may have changed since my time. If I remember correctly, even though I started studying January, I really began accelerating my efforts in the final two or so months prior to taking boards.

Did you feel the school adequately prepared you for boards and rotations?
 
Hey is there anyone else who is going to attend KCUMB and applying for HPSP Air Force?? Or anyone currently at KCUMB who is in the Air Force?

I am applying for HPSP in the navy. Going through the rest of the paperwork now (I hope).
 
Did you feel the school adequately prepared you for boards and rotations?

That is an interesting, but difficult question to answer. It's hard to tease out the impact of the education provided by the school from my own efforts to perform well. Also, I have no basis for comparison against any other program, so it is not possible for me to say whether the challenges I had were the norm or something indicative of my education.

However, ultimately, the answer is, "yes," because the results suggest that the school more than adequately prepared me for every critical challenge, including the most important one (and the whole goal of these last four years), the match. I have no complaints at all from that end. I passed and did relatively well on boards, had no trouble with third year rotations (at least on the clinical side of things, receiving consistent feedback that I was extremely well-prepared and knowledgeable), and matched exactly where and what I wanted. That's solid evidence, I suppose.

It wasn't by any means smooth sailing all the way, though. There were definitely challenges, some of which required significant effort. Yes, the school provided certain basic tools and knowledge. Was it adequate? As compared to what? I just know that I had to do whatever it took to make it work. I recognized where I was weak and deficient, for example (relative to part I of boards), pathophysiology, biochemistry, and certain aspects of physiology, and filled those in as needed. I also capitalized on where I was strong and made myself stronger. At the end, the education didn't matter as much as my own effort to make myself a better student doctor. I took the education that the school provided, whatever that was, and ran with it. That's what counts.

Do you have any specific concerns about the program that I can address? You can PM me, if like, and I can tell you how I faced the challenges that I had. Basically, I think the education at KCUMB prepares you adequately, as all programs do. Also, like all programs, there will be areas where you are better prepared and others not as much. You just have to know what needs to be supplemented and do it.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone even know anything about Rockhurst's business school? I've heard that if your business degree isn't from a top school it isn't really worth anything, and Rockhurst isn't on any rankings.

I am not an MBA candidate and I know very little about MBA programs. However, that said, my understanding is that the dual DO/MBA program that KCUMB/Rockhurst offers is NOT a general MBA program. It is, in fact, an MBA in Healthcare Leadership. That is their specific focus. And that's how it is marketed.

I have also heard what you said here, which is that the reputation of the degree might play a role, but I wonder if that is more with respect to the general MBA, rather than the type we are discussing. It is my imagination that if you are a business man, not a DO/MD as well, then your MBA's reputation is going to play a more important role. However, this is just my speculation here. The main thing, I imagine, is that the specific MBA prepares you for the business aspects of health care, which specifically augments, or adds to, your DO degree (my perception). You have to consider what your focus is going to be, how you are going to be using your MBA. Then, I think, the weight of the reputation of your MBA is going to play a differential role based on that goal. This is, again, just my common sense speculation.

Someone with direct experience with the business world can better answer your question, if one is willing to post a response to your question.
 
Last edited:
I am not an MBA candidate and I know very little about MBA programs. However, that said, my understanding is that the dual DO/MBA program that KCUMB/Rockhurst offers is NOT a general MBA program. It is, in fact, an MBA in Healthcare Leadership. That is their specific focus. And that's how it is marketed.

I have also heard what you said here, which is that the reputation of the degree might play a role, but I wonder if that is more with respect to the general MBA, rather than the type we are discussing. It is my imagination that if you are a business man, not a DO/MD as well, then your MBA's reputation is going to play a more important role. However, this is just my speculation here. The main thing, I imagine, is that the specific MBA prepares you for the business aspects of health care, which specifically augments, or adds to, your DO degree (my perception). You have to consider what your focus is going to be, how you are going to be using your MBA. Then, I think, the weight of the reputation of your MBA is going to play a differential role based on that goal. This is, again, just my common sense speculation.

Someone with direct experience with the business world can better answer your question, if one is willing to post a response to your question.

I agree with the above comment regarding the reputation....You're not gonna be solely a business man, and the only purpose of doing the MBA in health care leadership is to gain experience which can help you practice medicine more efficiently and effectively.
 
I just saw the 2010 match list on the previous page and I just had to comment on it. All I can say is holy **** that's a lot of specializing :wow:

Congrats to all of you attending KCUMB next year 👍
 
I just saw the 2010 match list on the previous page and I just had to comment on it. All I can say is holy **** that's a lot of specializing :wow:

Congrats to all of you attending KCUMB next year 👍

👍

Dude we need to get on that meetup ASAP. Even if all 4 of us can't make it we should at least try to get 3 of us together.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also applying for the Navy HPSP. It seems like a long process with a lot of paperwork... Good luck!

How is the process coming along for you? I'm waiting on my medical paperwork to go through so I can go to MEPS. How is the process coming along for you? And good luck as well!
 
Congrats to everyone who received acceptances to KCUMB!!! My interview is on 2/1... anyone else interviewing on Tuesday? It seems like mostly everyone has interviewed by now...
 
Because the incompetent critics rated it so poorly I feel like I need to do my part and advocate for everyone to go out and watch The Rite if you haven't already.

It's an AMAZING movie, and especially more so if you like scary movies. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and the direction is great. Not to mention it's very scary and balanced, unlike Paranormal Activity with random jumpy scenes that everyone expects.

One of my new favorite scary movies of all time, a must-see. One of those you just have to completely ignore the critics for and just see for yourself.