-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Keep the Doctor Away: Cooking Challenge #1
Started by Trilt
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Here is my entry! 😀
I made California rice salad with added apple chunks.
I found the recipe on the box of rice my roommate bought me as a replacement after she needed the rice I had to dry her cellphone. 😛 Here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/recipes/3567/CaliforniaRiceSalad.aspx
I replaced the red onion with an apple cut into small chunks.
I will be trying out some of the other recipes posted on here, because they all look really good! And I also have leftover apples! 😀 The apple pork chops and stuffed apple are really tempting. So are the muffins....in fact, I want to try all of the recipes that have been posted.
I made California rice salad with added apple chunks.
I found the recipe on the box of rice my roommate bought me as a replacement after she needed the rice I had to dry her cellphone. 😛 Here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/recipes/3567/CaliforniaRiceSalad.aspx
I replaced the red onion with an apple cut into small chunks.
I will be trying out some of the other recipes posted on here, because they all look really good! And I also have leftover apples! 😀 The apple pork chops and stuffed apple are really tempting. So are the muffins....in fact, I want to try all of the recipes that have been posted.

Ok so even though I procrastinated as usual 🙄 I am finally submitting my apple yumminess! 😀
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
MAKES 3½ cups
2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 97 Cal., 0% from fat; 0.1 g protein; 0 g fat; 25 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 70 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
I personally like things very tart so this was a tad sweet for me, but it was very... refreshing! 😀
Sorry the picture sucks... I had to take it with my phone in crappy lighting!
View attachment sorbet.jpg
Here's a prettier picture from the website lol (http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/green-apple-sorbet-recipe-00418000069465/)
View attachment organic-apples-sorbet-1010-m.jpg
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
MAKES 3½ cups
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1¼ lbs. tart green apples such as Granny Smith, cored and cut in 1-in. chunks (leave peels on)
- 3/4 cup chilled Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 97 Cal., 0% from fat; 0.1 g protein; 0 g fat; 25 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 70 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
I personally like things very tart so this was a tad sweet for me, but it was very... refreshing! 😀
Sorry the picture sucks... I had to take it with my phone in crappy lighting!
View attachment sorbet.jpg
Here's a prettier picture from the website lol (http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/green-apple-sorbet-recipe-00418000069465/)
View attachment organic-apples-sorbet-1010-m.jpg
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so even though I procrastinated as usual 🙄 I am finally submitting my apple yumminess! 😀
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
MAKES 3½ cups
1. Heat 1 cup water, the sugar, and apples in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat to a low boil, then reduce heat to low, partially cover pan, and gently simmer until apples are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wine, salt, and lemon juice.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1¼ lbs. tart green apples such as Granny Smith, cored and cut in 1-in. chunks (leave peels on)
- 3/4 cup chilled Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 97 Cal., 0% from fat; 0.1 g protein; 0 g fat; 25 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 70 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
I personally like things very tart so this was a tad sweet for me, but it was very... refreshing! 😀
Sorry the picture sucks... I had to take it with my phone in crappy lighting!
View attachment 19656
Here's a prettier picture from the website lol (http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/green-apple-sorbet-recipe-00418000069465/)
View attachment 19657
This really makes me want to ask for an ice cream maker for my birthday, or wish that I had one now and wasn't being non-alcoholic at the moment (although I'm sure you could probably make it that way).
Trematode I made the apple muffins that you posted and they turned out really good even though I didn't have the carmel to put in them 🙂 My family loved them.
My recipe is a little different than the original (I couldn't find the dry pizza crust mix and I did I few other things differently) but here is the link for the original
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-and-feta-pan-fried-pizzas/
Makes 8 mini Pizzas
1 can of Pillsbury Grands refrigerated biscuits (should have 8)
6 tablespoons of olive oil
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 red onion chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
4 tart apples cored and chopped
ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
2. On floured board roll out the biscuits into pizza shapes
3. In large skillet heat 5 tbs olive oil. Add the dough and fry until the dough is lightly browned, flipping once to brown on both sides. Once cooked placed the circles on cookie sheet.
4. In already used skillet saute the onions with 1/2 tbs olive oil.
5. Sprinkle the circles with onions, feta, and thyme.
6. Bake the pizzas until the feta begins to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
7. While the pizzas bake, in the previously used skillet, cook the apples with 1/2 tbs olive oil until the apples are soft and golden. Lay the apples on top of the pizzas, season with pepper, and serve.
View attachment DSCF4284.jpg
My recipe is a little different than the original (I couldn't find the dry pizza crust mix and I did I few other things differently) but here is the link for the original
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-and-feta-pan-fried-pizzas/
Makes 8 mini Pizzas
1 can of Pillsbury Grands refrigerated biscuits (should have 8)
6 tablespoons of olive oil
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 red onion chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
4 tart apples cored and chopped
ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
2. On floured board roll out the biscuits into pizza shapes
3. In large skillet heat 5 tbs olive oil. Add the dough and fry until the dough is lightly browned, flipping once to brown on both sides. Once cooked placed the circles on cookie sheet.
4. In already used skillet saute the onions with 1/2 tbs olive oil.
5. Sprinkle the circles with onions, feta, and thyme.
6. Bake the pizzas until the feta begins to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
7. While the pizzas bake, in the previously used skillet, cook the apples with 1/2 tbs olive oil until the apples are soft and golden. Lay the apples on top of the pizzas, season with pepper, and serve.
View attachment DSCF4284.jpg
Ok so even though I procrastinated as usual 🙄 I am finally submitting my apple yumminess! 😀
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
MAKES 3½ cups
1. Heat 1 cup water, the sugar, and apples in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat to a low boil, then reduce heat to low, partially cover pan, and gently simmer until apples are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wine, salt, and lemon juice.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1¼ lbs. tart green apples such as Granny Smith, cored and cut in 1-in. chunks (leave peels on)
- 3/4 cup chilled Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 97 Cal., 0% from fat; 0.1 g protein; 0 g fat; 25 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 70 mg sodium; 0 mg chol.
I personally like things very tart so this was a tad sweet for me, but it was very... refreshing! 😀
Sorry the picture sucks... I had to take it with my phone in crappy lighting!
View attachment 19656
Is that a piggy bowl? Looks yummy, too, I need to steal my mom's ice cream machine sometime.
Is that a piggy bowl? Looks yummy, too, I need to steal my mom's ice cream machine sometime.
Yes 😀 Slightly pig obsessed... That is the smallest of a stack of three 🙂
I'd never made anything with wheat gluten flour before, so this was an adventure. It's a recipe I've been meaning to try for months, because I luuurrrrrve faux-sausages (fauxsages?). This thread was an excuse to finally give it a try. 🙂
Apple-Sage (Vegan) Sausages
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tea. salt
2 tea. whole fennel seeds
1/4 tea. allspice
2 1/2 tea. onion powder
1 tea. ginger
3 tea. sage
1/4 tea. chili powder
1/4 tea. black pepper
1 1/2 cup apples, chopped finely
1/2 cup cold mashed red potatoes
3 Tb. olive oil
1/2 tea. liquid smoke
1 tea. crushed garlic from a jar
1 Tb. agave nectar
2/3-3/4 cup water
Instructions:
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet ingredients in a different bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes.
Form into little sausage shapes and wrap them up in tin foil tightly.
Steam for 1/2 an hour. Unwrap them, put some oil in a pan and fry them up a little.
--Modified from: http://letsgetsconed.blogspot.com/2008/12/vwams-apple-sage-sausages.html
View attachment IMG_1115_web.jpg
Served on a bed of carrot greens (from last year's garden), with corn and oven-roasted asparagus, and a glass of cheap-yet-delicious Shiraz.
Verdict: A+++, will make again. Surprisingly good texture. These could use a bit more chili powder, I think, but I like my sausages kinda spicy. I'd chop the apples even finer, too -- they kept falling out when I was trying to shape the sausages.
Exciting detail shot:
View attachment IMG_1122_web.jpg
Apple-Sage (Vegan) Sausages
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tea. salt
2 tea. whole fennel seeds
1/4 tea. allspice
2 1/2 tea. onion powder
1 tea. ginger
3 tea. sage
1/4 tea. chili powder
1/4 tea. black pepper
1 1/2 cup apples, chopped finely
1/2 cup cold mashed red potatoes
3 Tb. olive oil
1/2 tea. liquid smoke
1 tea. crushed garlic from a jar
1 Tb. agave nectar
2/3-3/4 cup water
Instructions:
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet ingredients in a different bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes.
Form into little sausage shapes and wrap them up in tin foil tightly.
Steam for 1/2 an hour. Unwrap them, put some oil in a pan and fry them up a little.
--Modified from: http://letsgetsconed.blogspot.com/2008/12/vwams-apple-sage-sausages.html
View attachment IMG_1115_web.jpg
Served on a bed of carrot greens (from last year's garden), with corn and oven-roasted asparagus, and a glass of cheap-yet-delicious Shiraz.
Verdict: A+++, will make again. Surprisingly good texture. These could use a bit more chili powder, I think, but I like my sausages kinda spicy. I'd chop the apples even finer, too -- they kept falling out when I was trying to shape the sausages.
Exciting detail shot:
View attachment IMG_1122_web.jpg
Homemade applesauce!
That looks delicious. It has never occurred to me that I could make applesauce instead of buying it. My world: rocked.
Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
YUM.
That looks delicious. It has never occurred to me that I could make applesauce instead of buying it. My world: rocked.
My parents suggested it, but I agree, not something I previously considered. I also ate it for lunch. Much better warm but also good cold 😀
Next challenge food so I can go shopping on my day off tomorrow?
My parents suggested it, but I agree, not something I previously considered. I also ate it for lunch. Much better warm but also good cold 😀
Next challenge food so I can go shopping on my day off tomorrow?
It's eggs I believe... its on the first post of the thread.
It's eggs I believe... its on the first post of the thread.
Yup, eggs!
Those fauxsages look so delicious. There's not a single ingredient in them that sounds bad, sheesh.

Oh my gosh, very impressed by the fauxsages. And that pizza looks really good, Maddie!
Definitely going to try to do something egg next time, but 11 days straight of work is not allowing for much kitchen creativity this week.
Definitely going to try to do something egg next time, but 11 days straight of work is not allowing for much kitchen creativity this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kudos to all the creative apple dishes. I am impressed.
Thought this was a silly idea/thread(but of course kept that to myself), but you have changed my mind.
I don't really cook, but I appreciate reading about your efforts!
Thought this was a silly idea/thread(but of course kept that to myself), but you have changed my mind.
I don't really cook, but I appreciate reading about your efforts!
Kudos to all the creative apple dishes. I am impressed.
Thought this was a silly idea/thread(but of course kept that to myself), but you have changed my mind.
I don't really cook, but I appreciate reading about your efforts!
Glad to change your mind!

Next week's thread is posted; of course, if you do an apple dish feel free to post about it here, but eggs are go at this point. 🙂
Psorophoraferox,
This looks AMAXING!
This looks AMAXING!
Didn't get my apples until TODAY....so I've missed this challenge...🙁 BUT I'm going to try ALL of these recipes!!
You guys rock.
And I'm already planning my egg dishes. 🙂
You guys rock.
And I'm already planning my egg dishes. 🙂
The dish and the pictures look professional. Amazing!I'd never made anything with wheat gluten flour before, so this was an adventure. It's a recipe I've been meaning to try for months, because I luuurrrrrve faux-sausages (fauxsages?). This thread was an excuse to finally give it a try. 🙂
Apple-Sage (Vegan) Sausages
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tea. salt
2 tea. whole fennel seeds
1/4 tea. allspice
2 1/2 tea. onion powder
1 tea. ginger
3 tea. sage
1/4 tea. chili powder
1/4 tea. black pepper
1 1/2 cup apples, chopped finely
1/2 cup cold mashed red potatoes
3 Tb. olive oil
1/2 tea. liquid smoke
1 tea. crushed garlic from a jar
1 Tb. agave nectar
2/3-3/4 cup water
Instructions:
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet ingredients in a different bowl, mix it up.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes.
Form into little sausage shapes and wrap them up in tin foil tightly.
Steam for 1/2 an hour. Unwrap them, put some oil in a pan and fry them up a little.
--Modified from: http://letsgetsconed.blogspot.com/2008/12/vwams-apple-sage-sausages.html
View attachment 19667
Served on a bed of carrot greens (from last year's garden), with corn and oven-roasted asparagus, and a glass of cheap-yet-delicious Shiraz.
Verdict: A+++, will make again. Surprisingly good texture. These could use a bit more chili powder, I think, but I like my sausages kinda spicy. I'd chop the apples even finer, too -- they kept falling out when I was trying to shape the sausages.
Exciting detail shot:
View attachment 19668
The dish and the pictures look professional. Amazing!
Thank you!
I've missed doing the recent cooking challenges. But on the plus side, I'm passing biochem this time around! 😉
Harumph. Your priorities are so screwy😛Thank you!
I've missed doing the recent cooking challenges. But on the plus side, I'm passing biochem this time around! 😉
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 32K
- Replies
- 143
- Views
- 7K