KSU Animal Nutrition

Started by rileyroo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how to access the online course for KSU's animal nutrition? I'm not sure where to go to sign in to the course and locate the materials. The class doesn't start until January, but I'm trying to become familiar with the process before then. Thought I'd ask you all, to see if anyone has had any experience with it, before I contact the professor and ask him questions. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
me too! only I am technologically on par with 80 year olds who have never seen a computer, so it may take me a while, haha
 
Depending on the outcome of the ever popular Dec 28th, I could be your classmate too! But no offense, I hope not😀! I'll only be taking it if I have to go for a round three of applications. Of all the online animal nutrition options I've seen so far, I like the sounds of this one best. I learned the hard way that self paced is not my friend😳. It sounds like the sign-up process is fairly quick, so hopefully if I need to I'll be able to sign up the first week of January.
 
Depending on the outcome of the ever popular Dec 28th, I could be your classmate too! But no offense, I hope not😀! I'll only be taking it if I have to go for a round three of applications. Of all the online animal nutrition options I've seen so far, I like the sounds of this one best. I learned the hard way that self paced is not my friend😳. It sounds like the sign-up process is fairly quick, so hopefully if I need to I'll be able to sign up the first week of January.

no offense taken 🙂 the sign up process WAS very quick.
 
Oooooo fancy! I've never taken an online course. Do we have to find proctors for tests? And if so...how? haha I feel like such a ditz sometimes
 
it's my understanding that tests do have to be proctored. i am setting them up through the testing center on my campus. i'll just have the exams sent there and go take them.


ETA: yes the exams must be proctored, i just read it on the website for the course
 
Last edited:
Hey guys! I've 'been there done that' with this course and really enjoyed it. I assume you've found the link by now. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and I'll try to help.
 
I've also taken this class and thought it was fantastic. It's actually probably one of my favorite classes so far.
 
I've also taken this class and thought it was fantastic. It's actually probably one of my favorite classes so far.


What is the workload like? Is your grade just based on exams, or are there homeworks/projects/papers/etc?
 
I've also taken this class and thought it was fantastic. It's actually probably one of my favorite classes so far.


i'm really glad to hear this livvie. i'm excited about this course but also really nervous. once i figure everything out i'll feel better, but it's the "not-knowing" anxiety and finding the routine. 🙂
 
There are tests for each section (I think 4), quizzes for each "chapter" in a section, and one paper at the end. I didn't think it was a lot of work, but it was a good deal of memorization. Only the tests have to be proctored.
 
There are tests for each section (I think 4), quizzes for each "chapter" in a section, and one paper at the end. I didn't think it was a lot of work, but it was a good deal of memorization. Only the tests have to be proctored.


A paper? Eewwwww! :uhno:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A paper? Eewwwww! :uhno:

Papers aren't soooo bad, are they? Famous last words... don't quote me on that!

I just signed up for the class tonight... but haven't paid yet. I don't see a due date for the bill, nor will it let me pay online. Did you guys who are signed up send a check to the address listed? I really hope I can pay another way... I don't exactly have $1000 laying around so I was hoping to put it on my credit card so I can take 2 months to pay for it.

I am excited and nervous about the class... I have never taken an animal science class before, and I honestly know very little about farm animals!
 
Papers aren't soooo bad, are they? Famous last words... don't quote me on that!

I just signed up for the class tonight... but haven't paid yet. I don't see a due date for the bill, nor will it let me pay online. Did you guys who are signed up send a check to the address listed? I really hope I can pay another way... I don't exactly have $1000 laying around so I was hoping to put it on my credit card so I can take 2 months to pay for it.

I am excited and nervous about the class... I have never taken an animal science class before, and I honestly know very little about farm animals!


i just called yesterday about paying for the course. they directed me to the cashier's office to answer those questions. i don't have the number since they transferred me, but i would just call the main campus or extension campus and have them transfer you.
 
i just called yesterday about paying for the course. they directed me to the cashier's office to answer those questions. i don't have the number since they transferred me, but i would just call the main campus or extension campus and have them transfer you.

I'm never was successful paying my bill through iSIS. There is a separate cashier link that I had to use to pay my tuition. Also, they will set you up on a payment plan if you need it. I had to fax in a form to get the payment plan set up. I seem to recall paying $283 monthly for four months. Here's the link:

https://commerce.cashnet.com/cashnetf/selfserve/ebilllogin.aspx?client=KSUPROD&

Hope this helps!
 
Hi guys-

For those of you enrolled, you can access the class site now and all the materials are up. Having nothing better to do last night I looked through the introductory stuff. I think I am really going to like the format! The recorded powerpoint lectures seem to be pretty high quality and very much like being in class. The professor also seems to want you to do well and ask questions. After having now taken a number of classes online (some with bad formats) I am realizing that I get a lot more out of lectures than I thought. So I think I am really going to like this.

Also, for LivestockDoc, I don't see any reference to a paper... 3 exams (non cumulative, 75% of grade), 6 quizzes (20%), and 6 homeworks (5%). So I am thinking that a paper isn't required...
 
Also, for LivestockDoc, I don't see any reference to a paper... 3 exams (non cumulative, 75% of grade), 6 quizzes (20%), and 6 homeworks (5%). So I am thinking that a paper isn't required...

Woo Hoo! Unless, of course, the homeworks are mini-papers. Not that I have a big issue with papers normally. It's just that, I have my next 3 semesters plus summer 2010 planned out already and I'm taking a HELLISH courseload each time plus working. Papers take too long for me.

Could be a moot point now tho'. The only school I was considering that required Nutrition was Oregon, and now that I've confirmed that I can't get IS tuition after the 1 st year, there's no point in my applying there. :cry:





Hey, btw, can somebody tell me what the heck is this thing for??? -->:lock:
 
For those of you enrolled, you can access the class site now and all the materials are up. Having nothing better to do last night I looked through the introductory stuff.


i did the same thing yesterday morning. i watched the first video and had to email the prof. i need to get used to checking my ksu email, or forward it to another account. lol. did anyone buy the textbook?
 
i did the same thing yesterday morning. i watched the first video and had to email the prof. i need to get used to checking my ksu email, or forward it to another account. lol. did anyone buy the textbook?

I bought the textbook because I am a totally paranoid person. I sort of regret it but like the prof said, it could be a good reference. I got a used copy through Amazon for less than the KSU bookstore price, but it was still pretty expensive. If I had realized just how optional it was, I would have tried to buy an earlier edition. Oh well!
 
Err... well, threads get "locked" when they contain inappropriate content (e.g. "hey guys, my dog has bumps, what do I do?") and so... I guess that's kinda like the 'do not feed the troll' sign, only for threads that should be locked?


Hmmm. But the lock looks so.......happy. 😕 Oh well.
 
I didn't buy the book. The prof was being sincere- the text really isn't a necessity. As far as the homeworks, they are all nutrition calculation (read math problems) that are crazy easy if you've watched the videos. No research papers but there was one pesky journal article review. I think I had it knocked out in an hour or two.
 
Oh heck, that doesn't sound bad at all. Now I wish I needed to take the class. Damn you, Oregon!

Yeah, I don't think it is an actual prereq for any of the schools I might apply to, but I am pretty desperate for online upper division bio (or animal sci in this case) classes and figured this sort of fit the description. Plus, I think it might be fun and interesting!
 
i'm getting ready to do the first module/pdf notes (introduction). i know it's gonna be a lot of memorization but i'm excited for this class. i think i'll really enjoy the material!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this class offered both spring and fall semester? Also does anyone know if it's offered in the summer?
 
Is this class offered both spring and fall semester? Also does anyone know if it's offered in the summer?

It is currently listed for summer... see here (OK, link to class didn't work, but if you go here and search for nutrition it will come up!). Hopefully the link works! I don't see it currently listed, but I seem to remember seeing it listed in the fall too.

And now to get a few hours of it knocked out this evening!
 
It is currently listed for summer... see here (OK, link to class didn't work, but if you go here and search for nutrition it will come up!). Hopefully the link works! I don't see it currently listed, but I seem to remember seeing it listed in the fall too.

And now to get a few hours of it knocked out this evening!

i was originally registered for it in the fall and had to drop it b/c my insane schedule. unless something changes, i'm pretty sure it's offered by fall and spring each year. i'm not sure about summer.

i really enjoy the lectures so far. i'm finishing up 2C tonight. the structure and organization of this course is working well for me!