This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaDaniel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is 3.6 and I'll be taking the MCAT in two weeks- I believe 510 a realistic expectation based on practice exams. I am a nontraditional student that spent all of my free time working several jobs in college and am somewhat lacking in the EC department. I was a TA for A&P, biology, and chemistry and tutored chemistry in college. I volunteered a little for a anti-human trafficking organization in college and have volunteered some at the Vanderbilt University medical center Emergency department in the past few months. Will my lack of ECs be enough to keep me from being considered? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your shadowing hours and clinical volunteering hours?

I'll only have around 30 clinical hours by the time I apply and I have zero shadowing hours. I've worked full time to support myself since I was 15. I have worked in research at vanderbilt for two years and have had jobs in Environmental and forensic toxicology labs as well. I'm hoping my life experiences in some way can compensate for the lack of ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend applying this year due to your lack of clinical experience. In the coming year accumulate at least 50 hours of shadowing and several hundred hours of clinical volunteering (hospital setting would be good).

Reactions: 1 user