Lactation/pregnancy meds app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddyBoomBoom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I figured I’d post this here for some ideas.

Does anybody have a useful resource or app for appropriate medications during pregnancy and even better for during lactation?

I know LactMed had a good following but has been discontinued.

Obviously, I can go on U2D and research meds individually but was hoping for a faster resource during a busy ED shift.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While the LactMed smartphone apps may have been discontinued, the actual database lives on:

It's still my go-to for more academic/rigorous conversations. Otherwise, I actually like Medscape's pregnancy and lactation sections on their drug pages.

We have a hard copy of Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk" in our Women's and Children's campus ED. They also have an app with the same info

I use lexi - which references briggs - which is sort of the gold standard - although I used to like the pregnancy categories, but they are going away from them - so instead of a quick yes, no, or maybe (which you can then go dig deeper) you get three paragraphs of a bunch of info before they give you the answer.

Micromedex and UpToDate have pretty good pregnancy and lactation sections. Micromedex is slightly better IMO. If you are employed at a hospital, you probably have both available for free.

Micromedex and UpToDate have pretty good pregnancy and lactation sections. Micromedex is slightly better IMO. If you are employed at a hospital, you probably have both available for free.
uptodate pulls the info from lexi I believe = we have both and they are the exact smae I think