Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im nervous to see what will happen with me lol. 3.25 3.29 26 come on money shot! ;p. still no updates for me yet

Members don't see this ad.

im nervous to see what will happen with me lol. 3.25 3.29 26 come on money shot! ;p. still no updates for me yet

2.91 uGPA, 3.89 gGPA, (3.05cGPA) 32N MCAT

I have no idea how schools will look at me :p

Thanks a lot! Welcome to the board. Does our neurosis scare you?
Thank you! It does a little bit, but these threads are also pretty helpful and humorous..... I'm just trying to calmly flow through this crazy process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok... I think new rule... If you post good news on this thread or any others and your post count is under 10.... I am going to put my fingers in my ears and make a sound like a vuvuzela....

4 more posts and I'm allowed to give some good news!

I don't know why it bothers me but I just hate it when someones first post is wooo...interview invite.... or later on there will be wooo got accepted as a first post and then later accepted off the waitlist as a first and final post.... Come on guys and gals... We don't bite come out of the shadows a post. Let us know things like when you received and submitted your secondary or ask questions and stuff.... Lurkers drive me nuts.... Feels like somebody is watching me through the window or something...:shifty:

You're not alone. It shouldn't bother me... but it does. A lot.

You're not alone. It shouldn't bother me... but it does. A lot.

In my defense, I'm trying to be less of a lurker, I just got the SDN app on my phone... I'm trying to make it to 1k by the end of the week :cool:

In my defense, I'm trying to be less of a lurker, I just got the SDN app on my phone... I'm trying to make it to 1k by the end of the week :cool:

Oh no hard feelings. I'm just disappointed that, far from receiving an interview invite, my status with LECOM-E hasn't changed in almost three weeks. And I was one of those silly people who thought he should wait until he received an invite to submit his secondary.

Alas, I'm just being bitter. ;)

Oh no hard feelings. I'm just disappointed that, far from receiving an interview invite, my status with LECOM-E hasn't changed in almost three weeks. And I was one of those silly people who thought he should wait until he received an invite to submit his secondary.

Alas, I'm just being bitter. ;)

An early interview does not guarantee acceptance.

And I do not think they are very good with status updates. Their acknowledgement of my secondary and interview invite were only 2 hours apart.

And I do not think they are very good with status updates. Their acknowledgement of my secondary and interview invite were only 2 hours apart.

Definitely seems that way. I'm just nervous because -- as far as I can tell -- I have no way of knowing whether I'm missing any requirements.

Check on aacomas to see if you fulfilled all their prerequisites. Call or email admissions to see of they received primary.

how do we access the secondary app, if we have not received an invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current LECOMers or people who have interviewed there before that can offer any advice for the interview? How to prepare? What to expect? Thanks so much in advance.

Any current LECOMers or people who have interviewed there before that can offer any advice for the interview? How to prepare? What to expect? Thanks so much in advance.

I interviewed here last July and it was very straight forward. Typical questions, Why medicine? Why DO? Why LECOM? What do you do in your free time? One or 2 questions about healthcare. What is your greatest strength/weakness? Be yourself is the best advice. However, I know if you do get an interview you will practice for hours on hour no matter what anyone tells you. Try not to sound rehearsed either. The interviews are conducted in a group setting with 6 or 7 other student and 2 members of the staff/faculty. Good luck. PM if you have any other questions.

Anyone know how often LECOM does interviews? I am uber-jealous right now of you August 3rd interviewees. Congrats and good luck to you all! I got my secondary the 9th and submitted same day but is still processing if anyone was wondering

Last edited:
Decided to be less lazy and researched it myself...last year first interviews were 7/29, then I think the next was 8/19, so I guess the next interview date will be 8/24 this year, right?

Can somebody post the link to the secondary I called Friday and he said they sent one but it was to my schools email address and it's down for maintenance until Friday.

You can PM if need be

Decided to be less lazy and researched it myself...last year first interviews were 7/29, then I think the next was 8/19, so I guess the next interview date will be 8/24 this year, right?

i think i actually saw some early july last year (7/7)....so, I'm not sure how this compares(or inlfuences it) ?

EDIT: I just realized you meant interview dates and not invite dates...

Last edited:
Can somebody post the link to the secondary I called Friday and he said they sent one but it was to my schools email address and it's down for maintenance until Friday.

You can PM if need be

Did they say they sent it out to everyone?

You can PM if need be

Thanks to the people that emailed but I don't know my username or password damn.

The admissions guy did say they are going from paper to paperless and some people that should have got a secondary didn't get one. So maybe call if you haven't I did

I interviewed here last July and it was very straight forward. Typical questions, Why medicine? Why DO? Why LECOM? What do you do in your free time? One or 2 questions about healthcare. What is your greatest strength/weakness? Be yourself is the best advice. However, I know if you do get an interview you will practice for hours on hour no matter what anyone tells you. Try not to sound rehearsed either. The interviews are conducted in a group setting with 6 or 7 other student and 2 members of the staff/faculty. Good luck. PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Is this for real?

Yes. I interviewed at LECOM-E/B and at the end of the interview day they asked if anyone needed a LOR from a DO. I already had one so it didn't apply to me, but I remember a few people that needed one. I think you just talk with a DO for a bit and then they give you a letter. Not sure if you can use it with other schools though.

Ahh! Didn't know they'd already sent out a few invites! Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow, or sometime this week. August 3rd is so soon!!

:thumbup: Grats and good luck everyone! It'd be nice to wrap up an acceptance this early in the cycle. Hope I'm in the next batch of invites.

Just wanted to thank you for your new Avatar (I think its a new one, right?) . I laugh every time I see it!!

That show had more running jokes and puns that still crack me up than anything else ever will, ever. :laugh:

Ahh! Didn't know they'd already sent out a few invites! Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow, or sometime this week. August 3rd is so soon!!

:thumbup: Grats and good luck everyone! It'd be nice to wrap up an acceptance this early in the cycle. Hope I'm in the next batch of invites.

Ill take an interview too, please! Is there strong (or existing) regional bias here? As someone who wants to leave my region, I sure do HATE regional bias!

Ill take an interview too, please! Is there strong (or existing) regional bias here? As someone who wants to leave my region, I sure do HATE regional bias![/QUOTE]

+1 and +1

ugh I'm going crazy. got released last week and no secondary yet :( I better get one tomorrow!

Ill take an interview too, please! Is there strong (or existing) regional bias here? As someone who wants to leave my region, I sure do HATE regional bias!

This data is from 5 years ago:

In-State Acceptance: 34%
OOS Acceptance: 7.8%
Total: 11.5%

In-State Interview: 44%
OOS Interview: 18%
Total: 22%

In-State Acceptance (after interview): 77%
OOS Acceptance (after interview): 40%
Total: 51%

From a pool of 940 In-State applicants and a pool of 5600 OOS applicants, they accepted 320 and 440 respectively

Hi everyone!

hope all is well! i just moved out to PA and really want to get into LECOM. I was wondering what are the average stats. I am non-traditional premed. My prereq gpa is abput 3.47, sci gpa above 3.2, and overall gpa almost 3.3, and taking MCATS next month.

However, I have really interesting story with tragedies, and have following experience:
300+ hospital internship at renowned Hoag hospital
advanced conflict mediator
use to work as assistant manager at walgreens
tutor for no child left behind program
gave so many presentations/speeches on behalf of my religious center
shadowed a renowned DO doctor for 20 hours
econ major
cured chronic fatigue taking my own integrative approach
also really great at interviewing. probably will come down to mcats, huh?

Also, if I turn in my Application by late September ( mcats on sep 11), is it too late?

Thanks

Hi everyone!

hope all is well! i just moved out to PA and really want to get into LECOM. I was wondering what are the average stats. I am non-traditional premed. My prereq gpa is abput 3.47, sci gpa above 3.2, and overall gpa almost 3.3, and taking MCATS next month.

However, I have really interesting story with tragedies, and have following experience:
econ major

Also, if I turn in my Application by late September ( mcats on sep 11), is it too late?

Thanks

Sept is really pushing your luck but hit a good mcat and lecom could roll you a bone

Hi everyone!

econ major

Thanks

Good luck with that

This data is from 5 years ago:

In-State Acceptance: 34%
OOS Acceptance: 7.8%
Total: 11.5%

In-State Interview: 44%
OOS Interview: 18%
Total: 22%

In-State Acceptance (after interview): 77%
OOS Acceptance (after interview): 40%
Total: 51%

From a pool of 940 In-State applicants and a pool of 5600 OOS applicants, they accepted 320 and 440 respectively

Thats a HUGE pool...is that just LECOM-Erie, and just the DO school?

Crazy that they already sent out interview invites. I am kind of glad I didn't get an invite (just yet), I am a little disorganized with finishing up my secondaries right now. I have not even had time to begin preparing my responses to commonly asked questions.

Good luck to those interview on August 3rd!

Yes. I interviewed at LECOM-E/B and at the end of the interview day they asked if anyone needed a LOR from a DO. I already had one so it didn't apply to me, but I remember a few people that needed one. I think you just talk with a DO for a bit and then they give you a letter. Not sure if you can use it with other schools though.

that is amazing. This is the one school I applied to where the DO letter is absolutely required. And I was getting stressed bc I'm not shadowing a DO until a few days after my LECOM interview. Now I feel better.

Can't answer that, the book I have just says "LECOM", and is from 2009 with 2007 stats.

Cool, seems like a ton (esp OOS) but maybe it's true?!

Anyway...I like this school more and more, so hopefully I get the lucky email soon

Confused about LOR's. Send them in now or wait?

My Uni sends out our letters to all schools at once...so I guess its probably ok. That is to say, you wouldn't be alone if you sent them in now. Also, it might save some processing time later?? (I don't think it would bother them)

Confused about LOR's. Send them in now or wait?

The only benefit of having your letters in prior to interviewing is that you will find out the decision quicker. They're pretty quick, so the longer you wait to submit the letters after your interview the longer you will wait for a decision. Plus, others will be accepted during that time, so it is in your best interest to get letters in asap.

I thought we weren't suppose to send LoRs before receiving the secondary? :confused:

I thought we weren't suppose to send LoRs before receiving the secondary? :confused:

It's not a good idea to submit letters to a school from which you haven't received a secondary. Some will throw them right into the garbage.

I was referencing the time after you receive/submit your secondary and before/right after your interview. They make decisions quickly, so it would be best to have your letters in either before your interview or very shortly thereafter.

It's not a good idea to submit letters to a school from which you haven't received a secondary. Some will throw them right into the garbage.

I was referencing the time after you receive/submit your secondary and before/right after your interview. They make decisions quickly, so it would be best to have your letters in either before your interview or very shortly thereafter.

Ah, gotcha.

On the other hand...where is my secondary!!! :D