Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Be sure to check your spam regularly... that's where most people's ended up.

Not mine apparently.

All I got was some email on Euro millions lottery raffle and foreign bank :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
23865586.jpg

I called today about not receiving a secondary even though my stats are above average and he said it is because I am Canadian. After 9/11 he said Canadians went home and there were some problems with us, and since then they are hesitant about accepting any. He said it will eventually be reviewed. I want this school too because of cheap tuition, fack :( anyways that's the scoop for any international who haven't received secondaries yet.

hey everyone, i am excited about this college and what it has to offer.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Application released on July 19th. No secondary yet :( Should I be concerend?

Application released on July 19th. No secondary yet :( Should I be concerend?

give them a call, I know there were some people on here that somehow got lost or something and were supposed to receive one but didn't then when they called, got one within 24 hours... worth a try

give them a call, I know there were some people on here that somehow got lost or something and were supposed to receive one but didn't then when they called, got one within 24 hours... worth a try
I just called, they said they haven't received my application yet :(

I just called, they said they haven't received my application yet :(

Check with AACOMAS... I know there's some schedule for like what day of the week they make applications available to med schools - maybe yours just missed it. And then the school will actually have to get on and download it from AACOMAS and I know some schools only do that once a week.

Just give it a week or two though - the volume of applications is so high right now it is natural to have delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there is nothing you can do until they download it.It should be done be the end of this week and you should get a secondary 2 to 3 weeks after that.

yeah, I didn't realize that your AACOMAS just released a few days ago.... give them some time

Ill take an interview too, please! Is there strong (or existing) regional bias here? As someone who wants to leave my region, I sure do HATE regional bias!

No regional bias here (that I'm aware of), it certainly doesn't seem like it. We used to have cheaper tutition for in-state students but they scrapped it.

Also, we had 5,749 applicants last year for 373 spots. A HUGE portion of our class is OOS.

Don't sweat it if you have an upcoming interview, you have a very good chance of being accepted if you're in the first few interview days. Honestly it has to be around 90%+ acceptance for interviews in July/August.(In years past, at least)

Feel free to ask any questions.

No regional bias here (that I'm aware of), it certainly doesn't seem like it. We used to have cheaper tutition for in-state students but they scrapped it.

Also, we had 5,749 applicants last year for 373 spots. A HUGE portion of our class is OOS.

Don't sweat it if you have an upcoming interview, you have a very good chance of being accepted if you're in the first few interview days. Honestly it has to be around 90%+ acceptance for interviews in July/August.(In years past, at least)

I am fascinated by your school!!! What are interview expectations? Are people pleased by their experiences?

How would you rank the different learning pathways?

I also would like to know this. I've been thinking non-stop since I got the interview about which to choose next Friday... I'm leaning towards PBL but since it's 70% "PBL" it just seems very different than any other learning situation I've been involved with before. I know I'd be able to put in the work on my own because the fear of not knowing something in a PBL group session (feeling applies to becoming a doctor as well... haha) would make me as prepared as possible.

I just also know that if lecture attendance is mandatory in LDP I may be discouraged from choosing it.

Anyone who is a current student and sees this please chime in! Thanks.

I was an LDP to PBL convert, so that should give you a good indication how I feel.

Normal Day:

Student 1- Lecture 8am-4pm with a 1 hour break for lunch.

Student 2- Meeting from 10am-12pm. Free

---------

Student 1 is LDP
Student 2 is PBL/DSP

I would like to say that DSP (formerly ISP) is a lot more like LDP and will fully merge with LDP at times (anatomy for ~12 weeks, and neuroanatomy for ~10 weeks?). When they are not merged with LDP they tend to work on 1 subject at a time. They will have a two week block for 2 weeks in biochemistry, and then another 2 weeks in something else.

PBL incorporates a systematic approach from the start and allows you to study at your own pace. It also reinforces topics several times which aids in the memory process. For instance if you have a case on heart disease, you will assign pages ON heart disease in several books (Path, Physio, Biochem, Pharm) You then read similar concepts 4 times over.

I have posted a thorough review of PBL in the past, and I'll see if I can dig it up. All in all

(IMO) PBL>>DSP>>>>>>>>LDP. If you can get into either PBL or DSP, take it an run.

I was an LDP to PBL convert, so that should give you a good indication how I feel.

Normal Day:

Student 1- Lecture 8am-4pm with a 1 hour break for lunch.

Student 2- Meeting from 10am-12pm. Free

---------

Student 1 is LDP
Student 2 is PBL/DSP

I would like to say that DSP (formerly ISP) is a lot more like LDP and will fully merge with LDP at times (anatomy for ~12 weeks, and neuroanatomy for ~10 weeks?). When they are not merged with LDP they tend to work on 1 subject at a time. They will have a two week block for 2 weeks in biochemistry, and then another 2 weeks in something else.

PBL incorporates a systematic approach from the start and allows you to study at your own pace. It also reinforces topics several times which aids in the memory process. For instance if you have a case on heart disease, you will assign pages ON heart disease in several books (Path, Physio, Biochem, Pharm) You then read similar concepts 4 times over.

I have posted a thorough review of PBL in the past, and I'll see if I can dig it up. All in all

(IMO) PBL>>DSP>>>>>>>>LDP. If you can get into either PBL or DSP, take it an run.

So you say that you were a convert: when/how did you go about doing that? Is that something you can just swap in the first few weeks when everyone is doing gross anatomy?

Also, since we have early interviews if we prospectively got in around mid-August would we be able to change our choice of pathway if spots are still open?

Thanks for your insights, they are much appreciated!

So you say that you were a convert: when/how did you go about doing that? Is that something you can just swap in the first few weeks when everyone is doing gross anatomy?

Also, since we have early interviews if we prospectively got in around mid-August would we be able to change our choice of pathway if spots are still open?

Thanks for your insights, they are much appreciated!

The longer you wait to switch OUT of LDP the harder it is going to be. Once you start your first year, it is nearly impossible to switch out of LDP.

On the contrary, there will always be an seat in LDP for you if you start in PBL or DSP. Although, once you switch once, they're not likely to entertain the idea of you switching again.

Over the course of the entire first year, I believe only 2 or 3 students switched into PBL and the same amount switched into LDP. It's difficult, so do not bank on having the opportunity to do so.

If there are spots still open before classes start, you can switch between pathways, just contact the admissions office and ask.

I switched after anatomy, which means I was one of the few who had a cadaver lab as a PBL student.

PBL WILL be difficult in the beginning, you will learning anatomy/histo/embryo with everyone else, AND learning PBL cases ("PBL lite", not as many pages and cases). Just fight through it, it's WELL worth it in the long run.

(Also in July, August, and September you should have your choice at any pathway. Do NOT choose LDP because you think you will have a better chance being accepted because there are more seats. That is NOT how it works!!! They look at your pathway sheet AFTER you're accepted!)

The longer you wait to switch OUT of LDP the harder it is going to be. Once you start your first year, it is nearly impossible to switch out of LDP.

On the contrary, there will always be an seat in LDP for you if you start in PBL or DSP. Although, once you switch once, they're not likely to entertain the idea of you switching again.

Over the course of the entire first year, I believe only 2 or 3 students switched into PBL and the same amount switched into LDP. It's difficult, so do not bank on having the opportunity to do so.

If there are spots still open before classes start, you can switch between pathways, just contact the admissions office and ask.

I switched after anatomy, which means I was one of the few who had a cadaver lab as a PBL student.

PBL WILL be difficult in the beginning, you will learning anatomy/histo/embryo with everyone else, AND learning PBL cases ("PBL lite", not as many pages and cases). Just fight through it, it's WELL worth it in the long run.

(Also in July, August, and September you should have your choice at any pathway. Do NOT choose LDP because you think you will have a better chance being accepted because there are more seats. That is NOT how it works!!! They look at your pathway sheet AFTER you're accepted!)

You answered my question without me even asking it. Thanks. :cool:

As far as preparation for the interview, besides the standard questions that were commonly asked last cycle, any insight or info you can share that can help everyone with interviews?

when are we required to choose a pathway? when we are granted an interview? I have currently submitted my secondary waiting for an interview. That is where I am at.

My status just changed to "Your application is under review. " I hope that is a good thing.

You answered my question without me even asking it. Thanks. :cool:

As far as preparation for the interview, besides the standard questions that were commonly asked last cycle, any insight or info you can share that can help everyone with interviews?

Aside from what you listed, there really isn't much else to do to prepare. Just be confident with your responses, avoid saying um and like (yes I know, it's obvious). Know some of the history about osteopathic medicine. It's more than just M.D plus OMM. I'll admit it's difficult to believe this initially, but after attending the AOA House of Delegates in in Chicago and talking to a ton of D.O's it has changed my perspective in a way.

Think of an achievement that you're proud of. Think of how you would handle a conflict with a patient. Think of a period of adversity that you faced, and how you made it through it. Have an idea about the current state of the healthcare industry, and your feelings on it. These are the things interviewers want to know.

when are we required to choose a pathway? when we are granted an interview? I have currently submitted my secondary waiting for an interview. That is where I am at.

You choose a pathway on your interview day, you rank PBL/DSP/LDP and once you're accepted they'll look at it and place you in your first choice that is open.

Aside from what you listed, there really isn't much else to do to prepare. Just be confident with your responses, avoid saying um and like (yes I know, it's obvious). Know some of the history about osteopathic medicine. It's more than just M.D plus OMM. I'll admit it's difficult to believe this initially, but after attending the AOA House of Delegates in in Chicago and talking to a ton of D.O's it has changed my perspective in a way.

Think of an achievement that you're proud of. Think of how you would handle a conflict with a patient. Think of a period of adversity that you faced, and how you made it through it. Have an idea about the current state of the healthcare industry, and your feelings on it. These are the things interviewers want to know.

You choose a pathway on your interview day, you rank PBL/DSP/LDP and once you're accepted they'll look at it and place you in your first choice that is open.

Thanks for all the advice HockeyDr! Another question for you...what is a typical length of time for an answer to an interview question? I was reading in some older posts that some people would take 3-4 minutes to answer 1 question.

I submitted my secondary July 9th. Has anyone who submitted that day or after heard anything??

Congrats to all those who've been invited to interview!

Just got secondary. Confused about the learning tracks. Anyone want to help me? I love lectures and I feel I learn a lot from professors, but spending a lot of time in the lab, I know I need hands on experience too. Which is best for me?

Just got secondary. Confused about the learning tracks. Anyone want to help me? I love lectures and I feel I learn a lot from professors, but spending a lot of time in the lab, I know I need hands on experience too. Which is best for me?

bradenton only has PBL, eerie has more than one. but you wont even have to worry about choosing unless you get an interview/acceptance

Thank you. I looked into it and only Seton Hill has PBL not the lecture based. I don't have a preference for either campus. Any insight?

EDIT: OPH4Life...you may know this, but Erie has 5 pathways, including PBL. Your wording seemed to say that seton hill is the only campus with PBL

For current students (or anyone who knows, really), how does choosing PBL affect class rank/competitiveness for residencies?

thanks!

EDIT: OPH4Life...you may know this, but Erie has 5 pathways, including PBL. Your wording seemed to say that seton hill is the only campus with PBL

For current students (or anyone who knows, really), how does choosing PBL affect class rank/competitiveness for residencies?

thanks!
Yes thank you. I meant that Seton hill only has PBL. I was wondering about the lifestyle of either campus. Current students? I know this is Erie only thread, let me know what your thoughts are about Erie

Just to verify -- the only people with interview invites so far are those who "prematurely" submitted their secondaries, correct?

How did this happen since you needed a username/password?

Looks like it pays to not follow directions :thumbup:

LECOM B and E use the same website. B sent out username/password information several days before E.