This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentanon

Reaction score
Hello,

Going to be applying to schools in the fall. Haven't been able to consolidate the information on which programs (both PhD and PsyD) look at only the last 60 credit hours for the undergraduate gpa.... Bombed freshman year courses, but did well in my classes all other years.

I know University of Washington is one. Does anyone have a list of the others? There isn't exactly a smooth google search on this topic from my research. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know any that look *only* at last 60. Many/most ask for overall, psych, and last 60. Most of us on faculty have seen a pattern of low first year grades followed by a sharp upward curve in many applicants and many successful grad students. A 2.5 in first year followed by a 4.0 for three years looks better than a constant 3, generally.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Wisconsin-Madison looks at last 60 credits

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Wisconsin-Madison looks at last 60 credits
Context is everything. Sure, they say they look at the last 60 credits, but when you're talking about single digit acceptance rates, I'd bet good money they'll look at all four years of your transcript if they are trying to make a decision between you and another candidate.

If there are any issues with your GPA or academic history, I'd advise completing a terminal master's program instead of looking for programs that won't examine your embryos undergrad record.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the reply!

Do you think doing a "post bacc" psych program (Columbia and Berkeley have one) holds as much weight as a terminal masters?

Context is everything. Sure, they say they look at the last 60 credits, but when you're talking about single digit acceptance rates, I'd bet good money they'll look at all four years of your transcript if they are trying to make a decision between you and another candidate.

If there are any issues with your GPA or academic history, I'd advise completing a terminal master's program instead of looking for programs that won't examine your embryos undergrad record.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think doing a "post bacc" psych program (Columbia and Berkeley have one) holds as much weight as a terminal masters?
I didn't go either of those routes, but from what I've heard from others (and they could be wrong), the post bacc is more for getting basic psych coursework done if you weren't a psych major in undergrad. It's not really meant to compensate for poor undergrad GPA, especially if your major already was psychology.

What kind of cumulative and last 60 credits GPA are you alluding to here?

I didn't go either of those routes, but from what I've heard from others (and they could be wrong), the post bacc is more for getting basic psych coursework done if you weren't a psych major in undergrad. It's not really meant to compensate for poor undergrad GPA, especially if your major already was psychology.

What kind of cumulative and last 60 credits GPA are you alluding to here?

Did not major in psych (majored in history), got a master's in history right after and did very well in my masters (although it isn't applicable to psych), then worked for a little over a year in business before pursuing the journey to becoming a psychologist. Been completing psych coursework for the past year and getting A's in all psych courses so far. Have two long-term psych-related volunteer positions, but am struggling to get the necessary research experience in psychology. I live in the NYC area and Columbia offers a post-bacc certificate program that incorporates a decent amount of research experience.

If it helps, there were people in my grad program over the years who majored in economics, business, philosophy, and some other things. They just took some time in between and got some clinical and research experience before getting into grad school, but none of them did a post bacc or masters.