Late Apps being accepted at Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!! That is so exciting. How long did it take for you to get an offer after you sent in your apps? I sent mine in Sunday so they have had it two days, tomorrow will be day #3. I'm very nervous/excited.

Oh, trust me, I understand the nervous/excited!

I heard from Geraldine in regards to what I needed to send in order to apply on the 27th (last Monday - I emailed her to find out what was needed the night of Friday, the 24th, so ran into the weekend). Put all my stuff together (electronic/scanned copies of all transcripts, CV, personal statement, and one LOR from a veterinarian) and emailed it to her that night so she would have it when she arrived in office on Tuesday morning. I also let her know that my academic reference would be sending his LOR directly to her. I had assumed he sent it last week, so I was on pins and needles waiting, then I heard from him yesterday (Monday, the 4th) that he just sent it. When I logged into my email today (the 5th) I had the offer sitting in my email box.

So, it's kind of hard to tell how many days it took, since apparently all the materials did not arrive until yesterday!
 
WAKE UP EVERYBODY.....it's 7:35 AM in lovely Edinburgh and i feel some good new coming across the pond......😍:luck:😍:luck:😍:luck:

ahahha that made me laff.

Good luck everyone~~~~~~~ Crossing fingers:xf: for myself and for others this week!!
 
Hey ya'll.
Nothing yet in my lonely ol' email. Maybe tomorrow? :xf:

Congrats Tiempo! It seems like they made their decision pending your LoR.

Does the notification email come from Geraldine or someone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't get all jealous everyone.....BUT.......i just spoke to Geraldine!!!! I was so worried as i was dialing that she would have a really thick accent and i would not be able to understand a word she was saying...Haaaa. And that she would know my name since i introduced myself, but there would be this horrible exchange of me saying, "i'm sorry, i can't understand"..." "is this Geraldine?" and a horrible silence would follow as we both realized we couldn't communicate and I'd have to hang up! Then, they would retract my offer since i was such a ***** on the phone :laugh::laugh:. That has the makings of a serious recurring nightmare 😱:scared:

Anyways, she is absolutely lovely. I just wanted to ask her about all of my friends applications and unfortunately, she couldn't find the apps on Psjlg2, IHeartGoldens or JKIMO2, so i just asked her about my deferral....😛

She said they are very busy processing apps as they want to give the GEP's enough time. I can kick myself for not asking her about why they had to open up the apps again, but i was too nervous about my stuff.

She's still hard at work today.....so ya never know.....

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:
 
Don't get all jealous everyone.....BUT.......i just spoke to Geraldine!!!! I was so worried as i was dialing that she would have a really thick accent and i would not be able to understand a word she was saying...Haaaa. And that she would know my name since i introduced myself, but there would be this horrible exchange of me saying, "i'm sorry, i can't understand"..." "is this Geraldine?" and a horrible silence would follow as we both realized we couldn't communicate and I'd have to hang up! Then, they would retract my offer since i was such a ***** on the phone :laugh::laugh:. That has the makings of a serious recurring nightmare 😱:scared:

Anyways, she is absolutely lovely. I just wanted to ask her about all of my friends applications and unfortunately, she couldn't find the apps on Psjlg2, IHeartGoldens or JKIMO2, so i just asked her about my deferral....😛

She said they are very busy processing apps as they want to give the GEP's enough time. I can kick myself for not asking her about why they had to open up the apps again, but i was too nervous about my stuff.

She's still hard at work today.....so ya never know.....

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:

omygoodness ... what's the number
AHHHHHHH
Can you call internationally from a cell phone? Without being charged an arm and a leg?
 
Don't get all jealous everyone.....BUT.......i just spoke to Geraldine!!!! I was so worried as i was dialing that she would have a really thick accent and i would not be able to understand a word she was saying...Haaaa. And that she would know my name since i introduced myself, but there would be this horrible exchange of me saying, "i'm sorry, i can't understand"..." "is this Geraldine?" and a horrible silence would follow as we both realized we couldn't communicate and I'd have to hang up! Then, they would retract my offer since i was such a ***** on the phone :laugh::laugh:. That has the makings of a serious recurring nightmare 😱:scared:

Anyways, she is absolutely lovely. I just wanted to ask her about all of my friends applications and unfortunately, she couldn't find the apps on Psjlg2, IHeartGoldens or JKIMO2, so i just asked her about my deferral....😛

She said they are very busy processing apps as they want to give the GEP's enough time. I can kick myself for not asking her about why they had to open up the apps again, but i was too nervous about my stuff.

She's still hard at work today.....so ya never know.....

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:
Jeezy louissezzy!! Did you get the deferment like you wanted? I hope you did, I understand how difficult it would be for you, its your furry little fiends that you want to give enough time to get over there right?
If I get in I definitely can't take my German Shepherd, he is going to have to be my moms dog for a while...sigh...
Did she make it sound like they had a bunch of applications of just a handful that they were still mulling over?
 
omygoodness ... what's the number
AHHHHHHH
Can you call internationally from a cell phone? Without being charged an arm and a leg?

ok, don't freak out, you know i was kidding, right?

You would need to check with your cell phone company, but it's probably not terribly cheap to do on your cell phone.

Just in case you really need it, you would dial 011-44-131 650 6138
 
ok, don't freak out, you know i was kidding, right?

I thought you were serious?😕
I suppose internet humor does not come across easily?

Regardless everyone...:xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:
I'm really thinking about calling tomorrow to find out if they have everything needed. ahhhhhh
 
Yeah, haha I'm usually quick on the uptake when it comes to sarcasm but apparently in my current hyper-anxious state I'm not functioning at my regular wave-length. Oh well, I'm thinking tomorrow is the day, patience patience patience....
 
Hahaha. Can't you just see me asking Geraldine, 'Umm, yeah..and can you please check the application status of IHeartGoldens?" WHO? "Yeah, IHeartGoldens....or try...psjlg2...yeah, do you have hers?"......HAAA.

Supposedly no deferments for late apps 🙁, but she still said she would check for me to make 100% sure. She did tell me that since i have been offered acceptance, she is very certain that getting accepted next year would not be a problem. 🙂 <commence whining> Yes, but i don't want to have to re-apply 😡

I did talk to my precious dogsitter and she and her husband agreed in 2 total seconds to keep my boys for 3 months. They loooovve them. I guess it's just me that has the issues now 😕. Will they know i'm gone that long?? I cry just thinking about it......what to do, oh, what to do??
 
ohhh Wait.. you DID call them but you didn't ask about our apps (duh!) I thought you were joking about calling Geraldine in the first place. I was sitting there wondering, why would you joke about calling and asking info about a deferment? lol
 
Last edited:
Hahaha. Can't you just see me asking Geraldine, 'Umm, yeah..and can you please check the application status of IHeartGoldens?" WHO? "Yeah, IHeartGoldens....or try...psjlg2...yeah, do you have hers?"......HAAA.

Supposedly no deferments for late apps 🙁, but she still said she would check for me to make 100% sure. She did tell me that since i have been offered acceptance, she is very certain that getting accepted next year would not be a problem. 🙂 <commence whining> Yes, but i don't want to have to re-apply 😡

I did talk to my precious dogsitter and she and her husband agreed in 2 total seconds to keep my boys for 3 months. They loooovve them. I guess it's just me that has the issues now 😕. Will they know i'm gone that long?? I cry just thinking about it......what to do, oh, what to do??
So if you can't defer are you going to wait until next year? Thats a hard decision to make. I think it would be worth it once you got settled over there and then got your pups.
 
I guess it's just me that has the issues now 😕. Will they know i'm gone that long?? I cry just thinking about it......what to do, oh, what to do??

I hear ya! It's a bit different for me as my husband will stay behind with the dogs while I move, but the thought of leaving my furry crew is really not appealing. Husband and I have done the long-distance thing a couple of times before, so I'm not too worried about him. 😛 But holy cow, leaving my dogs is a little different! I spend so much time with them, going to training, hiking, that I don't know what I'm going to do without them (study, I suppose!).

I've also put a lot of time and training (and training $) into my youngest dog, gearing towards competition, and now she'll be sitting for four months with no real training, no bonding time with me... 🙁 Eeek. (husband is a great guy, but dog-trainer extraordinaire he is not.) I have minor panics thinking she won't even recognize me when she sees me again.

I keep telling myself that even though I'll miss them like crazy, they'll be well taken care of, and it will all work out.
 
I have been silently following this thread for a bit, and please let me put my two cents in. As the Dad to several furry kids that I have been unfortunately separated from for months at a time while pursuing my education, I will tell you that they WILL still remember you and be as excited to see you, without holding a grudge, as ever. As long as they have a happy placed to stay while they are separated from you, trust me YOU will have a far harder time being away from them than they will from you. They will be so excited to see you, and will not forget, that all will be well once you are reunited. 😍 So, the real question is can you live without them for the time? They will be fine, but will you?😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Made you LOOK 😀!! I'm totally pulling for you guys, BTW. I wake up every AM anxious to see if you've heard!!

Y'all, i seriously don't know what to do about this situation. Let's presume I get the deferral, i am still uncertain :scared:. On one hand, I feel like i'm being silly and may regret it if i don't just suck it up and go. I feel confident that my pooches will be safe and cared for as good as i could ask for. Tiempo, you nailed it - I freak out thinking, "will they recognize me? Will they act indifferent towards me? Will they think 'why did she leave us?'" I know in my heart of hearts that yes, that may be the case at the reunion, but life will get back to normal. They are 3 and 4 and both are pretty darn attached to me, but the 4yr old is my velcro. I feel like either he or i will die of heartache over this. Ever since i got them, i've worked from home so i've been with them 24/7 unless i was traveling. Velcro is used to either sitting on my lap all day or sleeping in his bed in my office. Arghhh....is it just me??

Staying in the US another year is not all bad - i have one more year to work and save some dinero 😀 and i can finally move back East and spend some real quality time with my family before hopping the pond. I think i might regret it if i don't - i've been apart from the family for the last 15 years.

And going in the Fall without the dogs is not theoretically all bad either as ps2 (what in the world do all of your initials stand for??) mentioned - i could get settled in a new culture, country and lifestyle without worrying about them. It would allow me to hopefully meet a lot of my new classmates and be more free to go out and make those lasting friendships early on. I would also be set into a routine and feel more comfortable bringing them over once I was all moved in.

Guys, i'm sorry to belabor the issue, but it is just eating me up. I want to know that i'm making the right decison, cause it's a big one. Once I hear back from Geraldine, i may create a new thread on the forum to get some more input even though i will probably just get more confused and in the end only i know what is best 😕.

Oh, one other potential monkey wrench.... i asked Geraldine to let me know what i could do to be considered for GEP next year. What if they come back and tell me i should take X classes, do well and get some experience? That then sounds really appealing to stay back the year if i had a reasonably good chance of getting into the GEP. That way, i save a year of tuition and am still working for the year too. Best of all worlds. Still no guarantee, but maybe it would help with my decision.

Tiempo, are the hubby and the pooches all moving to Scotland eventually??

Ok, i'm all done now....... emotionally exhausted.

GOOD LUCK to y'all. I hope we all end up over there!
 
flyhi...
I was so busy freaking out about what you posted that I didnt put 2 and 2 together and realize that you were totally kidding! How would you ask about our apps w/o knowing our names at the least!! lol.
Soryy.. I can be pretty slow sometimes.... 🙂
 
Tiempo, are the hubby and the pooches all moving to Scotland eventually??

Yes, that's the plan. They'll all stay here the first semester while waiting for the dogs' 6-month PETS scheme waiting period to be up, then move.

It's a tough decision on many levels. I think part of the pressure is related to the fact that since we applied late, everything is so rushed that it just feels completely crazy. I've been sifting through financial aid stuff trying to get that all done in time and figure out Stafford vs. GradPlus and Graduate student vs Undergrad, while sifting through dog import requirements trying to figure out when and how I'm going to get them there, while wondering where I'm going to live, while thinking HOLY COW I GOT IN and doing the panic OMG I GOT IN - all condensed down into a few weeks now. Planning to go to Scotland is quite a change, and quite sudden. Big decisions, crammed into little time. It's tough!

Try not to think about all the "what ifs" until you hear back from Geraldine (easier said than done, I know) because you'll just drive yourself batty with all the possibilities. There are enough variables in this already - just wait and let the actual situation develop without adding your own monkey wrenches! 😉

In the meantime, I'm coming up with these goofy plans to call home via Skype and a webcam, and thinking I could have my husband put bits of cheese on the computer speakers so the dogs will get snacks and think happy thoughts when they hear my voice. 🙄 Yes, I think I've lost it.

When we get there this fall, we can all go stalk people with cute dogs together. 😀
 
flyhi-And going in the Fall without the dogs is not theoretically all bad either as ps2 (what in the world do all of your initials stand for??) mentioned

Ps stands for Palmer Alaska Student, the town I went to High School in, and the jlg are my initials and the 2, i have no idea. Its my college student ID and I use it on my facebook because I would forget if i used anything else.

I think if you can get some confidence in that you could get into the GEP next year, and then stay in the US for a year and visit your family, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, you would be in the exact same place in the end, (1 year here 4 years there), or just 5 years there now. But thats still a totally personal decision.
I would also be afraid if I chose not to go this year in your position, and then circumstances change and you end up not being able to go....who knows.
 
Nothing here yet either. *sigh

Not to sound pessimistic or anything but do you think that there is a possibility that their class could be full? Would they tell us? Sorry to bum anyone out but just found out about the Western CVM 2013 being full so yea... ( I was an alternate ) *sighhh 🙁
 
WHERE ARE ALL THE ACCEPTANCES??? I purposefully waited to come here today in hopes of seeing happy posts so i could do this :highfive:

Don't fret y'all, i think they are a little overwhelmed now too....they are now dealing with students getting accepted and asking a million questions as well as going through a pile of applications.

Thanks everyone for the support and great advice. Caninerepro - it is sooo good to hear your success story and i do know that this is how it will be. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that it will be mostly my issue 😱 (even tho i know my Harley will miss our serious snuggle sessions) and that i will be so darn busy it will probably fly by. In the end, it might just be for the best (oh, i am trying SO hard to convince myself of this).

I will also heed Tiempo's advice and not throw my own monkey wrenches in just yet :laugh:. We all have the uncanny ability to do this, don't we....crazy pre-vets. I must say, Tiempo, you and i are on the same page with the Skype thing 😀. Even though your SO is not going to train your new pup anything while you are gone (except a few bad habits :scared:), at least she is in good hands and in the comfort of her own home.

No question that the suddenness of all this is probably exacerbating many of our fears and concerns (do you like how i throw all of y'all into this category?) and that once we get over the OMG, I GOT IN and WITHAIGDN? (what in the he** am i gonna do now), everything will settle down.

Sorry about Western JKMI02...i still have great hope that you guys are going to get an offer. Keep your head up. Remember, no self-imposed monkey wrenches until the final word is out 😉

Keeping the hope alive :luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
"Jaaay-KIM, Jaaaay-KIM, Jaaaay-KIM" ... I'm chanting for you, you know, like at the baseball games? Aaah ha ha... I crack meeself up. 😀

Just wanted to say I'm rooting for you!!!

Juu can dooooo iiiiiiiiiit!!! 😀
:luck::luck::luck:
 
WHY am I still alone on the final decisions thread??

Because I just decided to go for sure. Plus since I just applied on a whim, I don't feel like I should be on the final decision thread. I don't know if that makes sense but I don't want to take anything away from the people who went through the stress of the normal application cycle.
 
WHY am I still alone on the final decisions thread??

Because I'm freaking out about it, lol. I don't usually make spontaneous decisions like this and its making me nervous not knowing all the facts. I did 4 hours of research on the school the other day and I really do want to go there, but part of me is scared to move my whole life to another country far, far away for 4 years. Can someone give me some words of encouragement, please? 🙂
 
Because I'm freaking out about it, lol. I don't usually make spontaneous decisions like this and its making me nervous not knowing all the facts. I did 4 hours of research on the school the other day and I really do want to go there, but part of me is scared to move my whole life to another country far, far away for 4 years. Can someone give me some words of encouragement, please? 🙂

Turtle,
At the end of the day, you need to be happy with your decision. Where do you feel you would get the best learning experience in terms of your interests? Where would you feel most comfortable learning? Moving to a new country is a stressful, but exciting experience. Regardless of the school chosen, you will face stressors. Most importantly, what does your gut instinct tell you?
 
Because we havent heard yet 🙁
lol
Heres to another weekend of waiting ...
Have a great weekend everyone ... HOpe it goes by fast for all of us😎

You're not kidding. I'm already looking forward to Monday even though I have exams!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because I just decided to go for sure. Plus since I just applied on a whim, I don't feel like I should be on the final decision thread. I don't know if that makes sense but I don't want to take anything away from the people who went through the stress of the normal application cycle.


You go into the school, right? You are planning on attending, correct? You deserve to be on the final decision thread! You wouldn't be taking away anything from others, you deserve your own spotlight also!!!!👍
 
You go into the school, right? You are planning on attending, correct? You deserve to be on the final decision thread! You wouldn't be taking away anything from others, you deserve your own spotlight also!!!!👍

EXACTLY 100% correct. Put your name up there so HopefulVet is not all alone 🙁

I am definitely going, I'm just not sure which year 😀. I was waiting to hear back from Geraldine on my deferral, but i'm 95% sure i'm going this Fall 😀😀. Wheeeeeeee...

I cannot believe we have to wait until next week for y'all :whistle:
 
WHY am I still alone on the final decisions thread??

I'm waiting to make sure finances are lined up, waiting for an 'official' letter, waiting to see if I can find enough wool sweaters! :laugh: I live in PHOENIX right now! Just found out on Tuesday I was offered a place and it's only Friday. Need some time to make sure everything is going to work out first.
 
I did 4 hours of research on the school the other day and I really do want to go there, but part of me is scared to move my whole life to another country far, far away for 4 years. Can someone give me some words of encouragement, please? 🙂

Well, your other option is SMU, right? That's in another country as well! So it's not that much different than what you were planning already, just a *slight* shift of countries. 😀
 
I'm waiting to make sure finances are lined up, waiting for an 'official' letter, waiting to see if I can find enough wool sweaters! :laugh: I live in PHOENIX right now! Just found out on Tuesday I was offered a place and it's only Friday. Need some time to make sure everything is going to work out first.

Hey, I live in Phoenix too! 🙂 Congrats on your acceptance!
 
I cannot believe we have to wait until next week for y'all :whistle:


I know! I'm going insane. I feel like Pavlov's dogs everytime my cell phone beeps that I have a new message I run. 😳

Does anyone know the app process? Meaning how many people see the app etc.
 
Well, your other option is SMU, right? That's in another country as well! So it's not that much different than what you were planning already, just a *slight* shift of countries. 😀


Yes that is true. But I'm from Miami, so the flight is only 2 hours and it's only 300-400$$$. But yes, any vet school I go to I will have stressors. I'm just worried about having extra stressors that could be avoided. I'm seriously contemplating applying again next year. I've learned a lot from this forum this year and just looking at LVT2DVM is inspirational and makes me question why I am in such a hurry to go to vet school. My gut is telling me now that I want to go to UF, so what's another year? Eventually I will be a vet, and right now money is crazy tight, so that is just another thing I am pondering. Wow what a stressful summer so far.
 
I've been following this, and even i'm anxious for everyone that's waiting right now...
sheesh I have to stop procrastinating on studying for finals.
 
Yes that is true. But I'm from Miami, so the flight is only 2 hours and it's only 300-400$$$. But yes, any vet school I go to I will have stressors. I'm just worried about having extra stressors that could be avoided. I'm seriously contemplating applying again next year. I've learned a lot from this forum this year and just looking at LVT2DVM is inspirational and makes me question why I am in such a hurry to go to vet school. My gut is telling me now that I want to go to UF, so what's another year? Eventually I will be a vet, and right now money is crazy tight, so that is just another thing I am pondering. Wow what a stressful summer so far.

Yeah, Caymans are basically an extension of Florida! 😀 Sounds like you are doing some serious research/soul searching right now and know what you want. UF is definitely down your alley with exotics. I don't know SMU's policy, but i would think with your statistics, SMU would still be an option next year if you wanted. Did you even apply to UF this year? I would think you would have, but don't recall.

I don't envy the decision you have to make in the upcoming months 😱, but i'm sure you will do what is best for you in the end :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HAHA.....that made me chuckle! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't you have some studying to do or something??


Now now, thats not very nice 😉
Actually I have research conference today and my friend's birthday fiesta tonight. Plans tomorrow for mother's day but of course, I can't stop thinking about Monday 🙂
No studying for me this weekend, I'm on strike!:horns:
 
I keep forgetting that the rest of the country is doing finals and I've been done for over a week now, so I don't even have cramming to keep my mind of my potential life changing e-mail on monday!!! or tuesday.... but I hope monday I don't think I could go another night waking up and checking my damn e-mail.
Its beautiful here in Alaska, a sunny 70 degrees!!! Everyone should come visit its the best place to be, except perhaps Edinburgh.
FlyHi I plan on visiting my friend in Reno this July and maybe going to Vegas and she told me its going to be a bit warmer than I'm used to, I think I might roast. I was in Vegas this past Feb. and I was in shorts and a t-shirt.
 
I keep forgetting that the rest of the country is doing finals and I've been done for over a week now, so I don't even have cramming to keep my mind of my potential life changing e-mail on monday!!! or tuesday.... but I hope monday I don't think I could go another night waking up and checking my damn e-mail.
Its beautiful here in Alaska, a sunny 70 degrees!!! Everyone should come visit its the best place to be, except perhaps Edinburgh.
FlyHi I plan on visiting my friend in Reno this July and maybe going to Vegas and she told me its going to be a bit warmer than I'm used to, I think I might roast. I was in Vegas this past Feb. and I was in shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm hijacking this thread for a moment, but only because i know we are in a stalemate til Monday 🙄. I'm done with finals too...so i get it. I flew corporately and my scariest flight was to Alaska 😱. It was summertime, and we flew up the coast with a stop planned in Juneau (if i remember correctly), but the weather moved in, so we went to our alternate at Sitka. I was flying and the weather was perfect about 100 miles out. We flew a small biz jet and fuel was becoming an issue. Well, sure as sh**, the weather moved in, in about 10 minutes! Coming from the coast in SC, we ain't used to mountains and antiquated landing systems! Plus, unlike most parts of the US where air traffic control is 'watching' every move you make on radar and telling you what to do and when, in Alaska, they cannot see you on radar once you get below a certain altitude, so you are all alone and feel REALLY strange without the backup. They cannot tell you that you are about to hit a mountain. And, the mountains in Alaska make CO seem like bunny hills.

Needless to say, my 'co-pilot' was my mentor and an old military pilot who feared nothing. Of course he couldn't hear or see much, but his piloting skills were just awesome. So, we made the approach into Sitka (a runway that takes up basically the whole island for those who are unfamiliar) knowing we didn't have enough fuel to go anywhere else (Alaska is sparse!) and i white-knuckled it in. We went below landing minimums, but did not have an option. You could throw a rock into the water on three sides of the runway. There was also a HUGE mountain off the runway that you had to clear if you did a go-around. I practically cried when we saw the runway! If i knew how to download pics here, i have one of our airplane sitting on the runway while it's spitting rain and foggy.

Ok, i know long story, but Alaska is where i really earned my wings 😀. Ended up in Fairbanks ultimately and got to fly around Mt. McKinley which was just breathtaking. Awesome country up there. Absolutely incredible. Stopped in Vegas on the way home for some gambling 😀

If i'm still here in Vegas and you want some company on the Strip, let me know. It will be really toasty in July!
 
flyhi, that is the scariest thing ever... Flying generally scares me even when things are going just fine! I could never imagine actually doing the piloting, so huge props for that. The funny thing is that I never put together the fact that your user name reflects that you fly planes! 😳 Anyway, I've always wondered what the view from the cockpit is like but then I get too nervous just thinking about it. My grandma used to fly, but now she's too scared to drive on the freeway! :laugh: