Late thank you cards for Letter of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRG32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the summer I had 4 people write me a LOR. I wanted to tell them thank you once I had news received news from a school, but now I am going into the new year with limited responses from medical schools and 0 thank you cards delivered. I am currently in the process of applying to masters programs as a back up, which means that I will have to ask them to rewrite their previous letters. I feel like I waited an awkwardly long amount of time to say thank you, but I don't want to ask them for more help without saying it first. Does anybody have any advice as to how I should go about asking them to change the LOR they wrote for me without seeming like I was ungrateful for their previous letters? I don't want to come across as rude.

Also, would it just be better to send an email instead of a card?

Members don't see this ad.

Over the summer I had 4 people write me a LOR. I wanted to tell them thank you once I had news received news from a school, but now I am going into the new year with limited responses from medical schools and 0 thank you cards delivered. I am currently in the process of applying to masters programs as a back up, which means that I will have to ask them to rewrite their previous letters. I feel like I waited an awkwardly long amount of time to say thank you, but I don't want to ask them for more help without saying it first. Does anybody have any advice as to how I should go about asking them to change the LOR they wrote for me without seeming like I was ungrateful for their previous letters? I don't want to come across as rude.

Also, would it just be better to send an email instead of a card?

I would try to meet with them personally, thank them for writing letters, let them know that you haven't had much success this cycle, and ask if they can revise their letters for master's programs.

Reactions: 1 user
If you decide to send an email, I wouldn't do the thank you and the asking for another letter in the same one because it would just appear as though you're only contacting them because you need something else. Send an email wishing them happy holidays and giving them an update on your medical application status. Then maybe a week later, you can ask about the other letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You really should have written the thank you cards as soon as they turned in the letter. You could have always sent them an update email. Their LOR are not the reason you didn't get in. If you question whether a LOR hindered your app, ask someone else to write you a letter.

You really should have written the thank you cards as soon as they turned in the letter. You could have always sent them an update email. Their LOR are not the reason you didn't get in. If you question whether a LOR hindered your app, ask someone else to write you a letter.

OP isn't questioning whether the LORs are why they didn't get in or whether it hindered their app. The question is completely different.

Thank you for your input, but it might be better to read my question first before replying.

If you decide to send an email, I wouldn't do the thank you and the asking for another letter in the same one because it would just appear as though you're only contacting them because you need something else. Send an email wishing them happy holidays and giving them an update on your medical application status. Then maybe a week later, you can ask about the other letter.

Thank you! I think both you and tantacles made good points. I decided that I will just meet with or email them and explain how I had planned on contacting them once I had received good news. Then, from there I'd describe the situation I'm in right now and how I'd be grateful for a revised letter (I would make it flow better than that though). I will thank them with a separate email/card afterwards.