LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to mention that I got COMLEX scores back today. Yes, I passed :). Start my second IM rotation on Monday and am loving it!!!!!

Hey, congrats man! Hope you get to pop a cold one and celebrate a bit this weekend! :thumbup:

I'm in the passing club, too, which makes me very happy. :D It feels really good to have that test behind me. Glad to hear your rotations are treating you well. I'm starting EM on monday, and looking forward to a change of pace from psych. One month down, only 11 more to go...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, congrats man! Hope you get to pop a cold one and celebrate a bit this weekend! :thumbup:

I'm in the passing club, too, which makes me very happy. :D It feels really good to have that test behind me. Glad to hear your rotations are treating you well. I'm starting EM on monday, and looking forward to a change of pace from psych. One month down, only 11 more to go...

Actually, there's a group of 40+ year old attendings that are learning to surf and they've invited me to go with them tomorrow. We're either going to Daytona Beach or New Smyrna. They're both about 40 miles from our new house. I'm trying to figure out a way not to look like a total spazz in front of all of them :laugh:.

This week was cancer and pus week. I won't go into details, but I have smelled some pretty incredible things here lately. I won't gross you out with the details, but I nearly lost my lunch a few times :oops:. I've been feeling kind of stupid all month long, but then I got my COMLEX score back. I guess I must have known some stuff at one point, huh?

Congratulations scpod and dragonwell! It's great to hear that you guys rock even harder and that your rotations are going well. Keep up the good work and let us know how much fun you're having!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there's a group of 40+ year old attendings that are learning to surf and they've invited me to go with them tomorrow. We're either going to Daytona Beach or New Smyrna. They're both about 40 miles from our new house. I'm trying to figure out a way not to look like a total spazz in front of all of them :laugh:.

This I would pay money to see!

Congrats to both of you!!!

This I would pay money to see!

Congrats to both of you!!!

Tee hee, you and me both...
surfing.gif
on scpod, surf on!

This week was cancer and pus week. I won't go into details, but I have smelled some pretty incredible things here lately. I won't gross you out with the details, but I nearly lost my lunch a few times :oops:. I've been feeling kind of stupid all month long, but then I got my COMLEX score back. I guess I must have known some stuff at one point, huh?

Chant: "YouTube, YouTube, YouTube..." :D

I'm not saying it would be a funny video, I'm just saying it would break a million hits.

Seriously, tho. I tried knee-boarding and skiing once each. That day was when I learned people could drink a significant amount of water through their nose when traveling at a rather harmless speed.

Have fun surfing!

Hey current LECOM-B-ers...

Did you guys ever get a complete/final matchlist? I found the one that was posted in the DO match thread, but it said it was temporary.

Just curious...

Dreammona: Are you renting a truck to move your stuff down to Bradenton? If so when, and if you could give me the details on it I would appreciate that greatly. I'm from Youngstown, about an hour or so from Cleveland and would love to put my stuff on that truck as well to help lower the price.

I know a lot of moving companies don't like to make the trip of this magnitude unless there are 3 or so different people to load up, I think they would just swing by and take my stuff on the way to Cleveland to Bradenton. Maybe we can save each other a little money, let me know your plans. Thanks!

Did you guys ever get a complete/final matchlist? I found the one that was posted in the DO match thread, but it said it was temporary.

Just curious...

I haven't seen any updates or any official lists. Some students don't want their info released, so I'm not sure if such a list will be forthcoming...

Just curious...

To add to what Dragonwell said, there isn't an "official" matchlist for the class of 2008. The class government has kind of helped us along by compiling a list of what they know.

To add to what Dragonwell said, there isn't an "official" matchlist for the class of 2008. The class government has kind of helped us along by compiling a list of what they know.

Thanks guys. I was just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen any updates or any official lists. Some students don't want their info released, so I'm not sure if such a list will be forthcoming...

Why would some students not want their info released? It's not like the list has their personal info attached. I don't even think that should be up to them provided who they are is left confidential. The lists are useful for incoming students because it gives us ideas of potential areas we may have not previously considered.

Last edited:
Agreed. I cannot wait to flaunt my match around with "I'm a doctor wooot!" Well, maybe "flaunt" isn't the best word, but I don't care if it's family practice.. I'm a doctor at that point. That's freaking awesome.

Why would some students not want their info released? It's not like the list has their personal info attached. I don't even think that should be up to them provided who they are is left confidential. The lists are useful for incoming students because it gives us ideas of potential areas we may have not previously considered.

I really don't know for sure, but I could guess at a few reasons - maybe getting into or not getting into a certain program, perhaps folks are competing for the same spots, didn't match into their top choice, etc. As far as personal info goes, you are probably not nearly as anonymous as you think, especially when you consider there are only 150 students in a class and it tends to become pretty well known who is going for what. In any case, it is a student's right to decide whether or not any of their info is released.

I'm sure there is a complete list sitting around somewhere and you guys will hear all about it at a dean's hour. It wouldn't surprise me if whoever is in charge of compiling and sending out the list just got busy and forgot about it - that has a way of happening in med school, probably even more so in internship ;).

Why would some students not want their info released? ....

Hmmmm...could be like DW said, they were going for neurosurgery and didn't make it. Now, they just want to be left alone.

Some people are just particular about stuff, though. We had one guy choose not to go to the White Coat Ceremony. A couple of the professors told him that would be a bad move, that he might be looked on "unfavorably." Still, he chose not to. Some people just like to keep to themselves and don't want anyone knowing anything about them. Maybe some people might consider that "private" information???

Hmmmm...could be like DW said, they were going for neurosurgery and didn't make it. Now, they just want to be left alone.

Some people are just particular about stuff, though. We had one guy choose not to go to the White Coat Ceremony. A couple of the professors told him that would be a bad move, that he might be looked on "unfavorably." Still, he chose not to. Some people just like to keep to themselves and don't want anyone knowing anything about them. Maybe some people might consider that "private" information???

Man.. I can understand people wanting to keep to themselves for certain reasons, but then why choose LECOM-B? From what I understand, a lot of information presentation is done in a group setting (OMM, PBL, Anatomy Lab), kind of forcing you to be social. Am I way of base of how learning is to occur? I mean, of course the bulk of the learning will be done at home or in the library alone with just you and your books, but it seems to be that a lot of the facilitation and understanding comes from group endeavors.

Man.. I can understand people wanting to keep to themselves for certain reasons, but then why choose LECOM-B? From what I understand, a lot of information presentation is done in a group setting (OMM, PBL, Anatomy Lab), kind of forcing you to be social. Am I way of base of how learning is to occur? I mean, of course the bulk of the learning will be done at home or in the library alone with just you and your books, but it seems to be that a lot of the facilitation and understanding comes from group endeavors.

Part of PBL IS about forcing you to be social and work as a team. You'll have to work well in the real world, even when you don't like someone. The groups get switched around every semester and you'll probably find some people that you don't like at all-- but you still have to work as a team. Part of your grade is subjective, the facilitators grade, and you are graded on how well you work with others, and even how well you are able to make others participate more effectively. Some facilitators take it lightly and give eevryone a pretty good grade. Others take it pretty seriously.

Hey guys has anyone heard anything from the office about the waitlist? This waiting is killing me. Werent they supposed to have a new list ranked?

Hey PBL DO,

my boyfriend and I are renting a Budget 17ft or 24ft truck and loading it ourselves, not using a moving company. They say 17ft is 2-3BR, 24ft is like up to 5BR. The truck rental fee is about $800-$1000, not including gasoline! Uh... we leave on the late afternoon of July 17th. You?

Dreammona: Are you renting a truck to move your stuff down to Bradenton? If so when, and if you could give me the details on it I would appreciate that greatly. I'm from Youngstown, about an hour or so from Cleveland and would love to put my stuff on that truck as well to help lower the price.

I know a lot of moving companies don't like to make the trip of this magnitude unless there are 3 or so different people to load up, I think they would just swing by and take my stuff on the way to Cleveland to Bradenton. Maybe we can save each other a little money, let me know your plans. Thanks!

Hey PBL DO,

my boyfriend and I are renting a Budget 17ft or 24ft truck and loading it ourselves, not using a moving company. They say 17ft is 2-3BR, 24ft is like up to 5BR. The truck rental fee is about $800-$1000, not including gasoline! Uh... we leave on the late afternoon of July 17th. You?

So who has already made the move down? Anyone?

I'm suppose to be there tomorrow....due to moving truck issues....that may be pushed back....*sigh*

Digit....do we have any type of confirmation of attendence from you? Or are you going to be a trader?

I'm suppose to be there tomorrow....due to moving truck issues....that may be pushed back....*sigh*

Digit....do we have any type of confirmation of attendence from you? Or are you going to be a trader?

I'm 99% in. We still haven't heard from EVMS, but the recent health plan news kinda pushed LECOM over the edge in terms of awesomeness. Incidentally, the EVMS plan sucks...20% copay on everything, except anesthesia which is 80% copay :eek:

You also have NO choice of pcp's...you MUST see the ones at the school and go the the school's hospital.

We're planning to have a baby in the next year or so...it would be REALLY, REALLY expensive at EVMS. LECOM cost: $250.

Between that, the awesomeness that is our class, the great neighborhoods, the cheaper rent, the great elementary schools, PBL, etc, etc...It looks like we're in.

Our biggest hangups are: My wife is a dental hygienist and makes $~40/hour up here. She can't work (as a hygienist, at least) in Florida until after she passes the Florida boards in November...that's ALOT of lost income. She can make ~15-20 as an assistant, but still...50% pay cut! Ouch!

We'll also hate being so far away from our family...and flights are expensive. We're hoping they will come visit us, because hey...Florida!

Anyways, there's a couple of houses I'm waiting to hear back from realtors on. If either are available, we're in. Officially. If not, then we'll keep waiting until the perfect house becomes available, or we get desperate.

Sorry about the rambling!

Im here, arrived Saturday morning and am just in the unpacking and setting up the house stage. Which sucks by the way!

Don't you call him a trader. Digitl must make the choice that is right for him. plus, I hear Norfolk has lots of great restaurants and things to do...probably the perfect place to raise a family...I'm just saying.

Also, anyone hear anything on the waitlist...I'm thinking it's about time to re-submit a new AACOMAS.

Don't you call him a trader. Digitl must make the choice that is right for him. plus, I hear Norfolk has lots of great restaurants and things to do...probably the perfect place to raise a family...I'm just saying.

Also, anyone hear anything on the waitlist...I'm thinking it's about time to re-submit a new AACOMAS.

I'm fine with being called a trader. I trade stuff all the time. I used to trade baseball cards like crazy! I am not, however, a traitor...silly spellings :D

Norfolk does have some eating, but it also has a pretty bad gang problem and more than its fair share of murders and crime. Not really a fan. Also, terrible traffic and lots of deaths. Also, not a fan.

In order to live in a safe neighborhood I'd have a 30 min commute to school. It's also about $500 more per month than something comparable (or better) in LWR...

Re: Waitlists

Nothing is moving anywhere. I'm also on the VCU/MCV/Whatever-the-hell-they-are-calling-themselves-these-days-just-make-up-your-mind-already Waitlist. It's not moving. So people aren't dropping their EVMS acceptances to go to MCV--->The EVMS waitlist is also not moving--->I am not dropping my DO acceptance--->LECOM's waitlist is not moving--->everything is sucking for everyone.

Sigh. At this point though, if my EVMS letter shows up today, I don't think I'll go. I think LECOM is going to be the right place for us in the long run. Sorry to everyone on the LECOM waitlist.

I like following your thought process here. :laugh:

I'm fine with being called a trader. I trade stuff all the time. I used to trade baseball cards like crazy! I am not, however, a traitor...silly spellings :D

I was thinking the same thing.

Sigh. At this point though, if my EVMS letter shows up today, I don't think I'll go. I think LECOM is going to be the right place for us in the long run.

This is the singular, most important message in all of digitlnoize's posts: he's coming to LECOM-B (most likely). I hope waitlists move somewhere so that some people move on ours!

This is the singular, most important message in all of digitlnoize's posts: he's coming to LECOM-B (most likely). I hope waitlists move somewhere so that some people move on ours!

thought something looked funny w/ that spelling but too lazy to spellcheck something other than a personal statement at this point...shame on LauraDO for leading me astray:D

I think some of the lack of movement has to do with the economy. People are choosing to stay in-state to save money if they can. The OOS lists are moving much more than the IS. I've read a bunch of thread in pre-allo that are all: IS vs OOS school. And, in every thread, the OP winds up deciding to stay IS for economic reasons. Even in cases like: NYU vs VCU.

At least I know I'm wanted somewhere!

At least I know I'm wanted somewhere![/quote]

therein lies my jealousy.

2:22:28 is fast as ****.

thanks, TT. Since you know the time in secs, I'll assume I'm no longer anonymous...

put in a good word for me next cycle in Ga...I'll get your run times down! Still loving LECOM-B but will apply broadly.

I just read the time off your picture.

At my size, I'd be happy to finish a marathon. I do 15-mile training runs from time to time, but these are very much base workouts, and I'm usually toast after I get done. As in, I don't feel like I could run another step when I get done.

I've really gotten strong with my track intervals this year though. I have finally found good interval paces, and it has definitely helped my anaerobic threshold.

My VO2max is like 58, which isn't that bad. I just need to keep working on the anaerobic threshold, and improving my hip turnover.

I just read the time off your picture.

At my size, I'd be happy to finish a marathon. I do 15-mile training runs from time to time, but these are very much base workouts, and I'm usually toast after I get done. As in, I don't feel like I could run another step when I get done.

I've really gotten strong with my track intervals this year though. I have finally found good interval paces, and it has definitely helped my anaerobic threshold.

My VO2max is like 58, which isn't that bad. I just need to keep working on the anaerobic threshold, and improving my hip turnover.

totally forgot that was my picture...

where did you get your VO2max measured? I've never had a chance to get that done but would be curious. Half Ironman is your specialty, right? Yeah, w/ any distance race, gotta think pushing that threshold is the best bang for the buck, though I'm fairly oblivious when it comes to anything tri.

As long as I'm hijacking this thread I'm thinking of buying a cyclocross bike if you know anything about them. I'll PM you at some point to pick your brain.

I'm more of a sprint/olympic distance guy. I've done a half, but it was just to try it. I fall off in a big way after a few hours. I am almost 6'5", and about 230# (actually, I'm down near 220 now... would like to be closer to 210, for speed purposes, but I'm not sure I can pull that off, since I have a pretty big frame). My background is basketball, and I have had a hell of a time developing a short, quick stride.

I got my VO2max done by the UT kinesiology department, of which I am a graduate. They've always got grad students looking for people to do various tests on. I just try to keep my eyes open for that. Otherwise, it costs like $100, and they'll do VO2max, anaerobic threshold, and a few other things, I think.

Don't know much about cyclocross. I've got a few friends who are into it, but I have yet to go down that path. I know Felt makes one though:

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1513&pid=8719

Also, a guy who works at the bike shop I go to says that he's seen a few peeks at the '09 Felts, and that they are just beautiful. They just keep making mean looking bikes.

I am applying for my loans... I chose citibank... in the stafford loan app it asks if i would like to pay unsubsidized interest... (yes or no) ... well I don't.. but we are taking both subsidized and un-sub.. loans on the same application.. so which do i chose????

I am applying for my loans... I chose citibank... in the stafford loan app it asks if i would like to pay unsubsidized interest... (yes or no) ... well I don't.. but we are taking both subsidized and un-sub.. loans on the same application.. so which do i chose????

nvm. just called citibank and asked.

Citibank is getting a lot of people's business! Remind me to start buying their stock once we all graduate and start paying back our loans.

If you don't want to pay the interest on either one, then say no. They don't ask about subsidized because the gov't pays the interest while you're in school, so there is none as far as we're concerned.

If you want to pay the interest on the unsubsidized only, then say yes. You still won't pay interest on the subsidized because it doesn't exist (for you at least)...Uncle Sam has taken care of it...it has been "subsidized".

I wish we got more subsidized loans...sigh.

In other news...I think we found a house. Looks like we may be kicking it Lakewood Ranch style.

Citibank is getting a lot of people's business! Remind me to start buying their stock once we all graduate and start paying back our loans.

Meh. I wouldn't bother. We'll probably be the only ones paying back our loans. We have a BAAAAD debt problem in the US and it's only getting worse. I'm hoping all the banks go out of business and we don't have to pay back our loans. That would rock.

another question: for the grad plus it asked the loan amount... for the stafford it didn't.. and in my "pending" applications it says stafford for 0$$ did i make a mistake or does lecom do this??

Meh. I wouldn't bother. We'll probably be the only ones paying back our loans. We have a BAAAAD debt problem in the US and it's only getting worse. I'm hoping all the banks go out of business and we don't have to pay back our loans. That would rock.

I could live with that...

another question: for the grad plus it asked the loan amount... for the stafford it didn't.. and in my "pending" applications it says stafford for 0$$ did i make a mistake or does lecom do this??

LECOM takes care of it. At least, I hope so.

Congratulations on passing, must be a great feeling!! I love the water and to surf (of course being from Texas there isn't much opportunity). How was it?!

Ah! 3 more weeks. And I'm not nearly ready! Is anyone else getting as excited... terrified... excited as I am? :D:eek::scared::D

Ah! 3 more weeks. And I'm not nearly ready! Is anyone else getting as excited... terrified... excited as I am? :D:eek::scared::D

ME TOO!!! I will be moved in and everything July 17. I just bought a new TV yesterday and am busy getting the utilities set up. It's awesome!

Hi Everyone,

Can any of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year students list the supplemental textbooks that they found useful and/or important? (if this has been done already, a link to the list would be greatly appreciated! :laugh:)

I saw the thread above about surfing...anyone here into surfing, or know if LECOM-B has a surfing club?

Thank youuuuu!

-Bri