LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I called Ron Shively @ LECOM today, and he told me that Discover is the best lender. The same good deals as the others, but Discover has no fees. He said if it were him, he would choose Discover. I think I'm gonna take his word for it and pick Discover. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I chose Discover for everything as well for me. You figured when picking lenders, pick one that's not the giant in that industry, like Discover. It likely will offer more services for the same amount of even less money. :D I'm all approved and ready to go!

So I called Ron Shively @ LECOM today, and he told me that Discover is the best lender. The same good deals as the others, but Discover has no fees. He said if it were him, he would choose Discover. I think I'm gonna take his word for it and pick Discover. :luck:

Cool to know Discover is a good choice. I was going to do some research today. Thanks for sharing this info.

My boyfriend just got laid off yesterday and is looking for a job potentially in the Bradenton area. Any suggestions on best way to approach this? He has had no luck in the past with monster or careerbuilders. He has a degree in comm/business. I wonder if there is a good personnel placement company or big corporations to contact in the bradenton/sarasota area? The economy sucks right now :(

but yippee for us that the world will always need doctors!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just withdrew from LECOM-B. We came to Florida to look for apartments 2 days ago (found a nice one at Turnburry Park ) and were just enjoying the weather and Sarasota's beaches today when I got a phone call and got accepted from a waitlist to my D.O. first choice (CCOM - so I don't have to move). I regret leaving this thread because LECOM-B's thread is the best one and you guys rock! I wish everyone the best and good luck with classes and PBL! I hope this is message is good news for somebody still on LECOM-B's waitlist!

I just withdrew from LECOM-B. We came to Florida to look for apartments 2 days ago (found a nice one at Turnburry Park ) and were just enjoying the weather and Sarasota's beaches today when I got a phone call and got accepted from a waitlist to my D.O. first choice (CCOM - so I don't have to move). I regret leaving this thread because LECOM-B's thread is the best one and you guys rock! I wish everyone the best and good luck with classes and PBL! I hope this is message is good news for somebody still on LECOM-B's waitlist!

Sorry to hear that, but good luck at CCOM! Isn't their tuition pretty high? I applied there and didn't get in, but I don't like the cold, so I'm happy!

Maybe it's good news for marathondude?

In other news, I just got assigned a Big-Sib. Yay! I hope he's cool.

Wow.. well congrats to whomever gets the spot. Although I don't remember talking to you explicitly, you will be missed. Good luck up in CCOM and have learning!

my brother works at a local bank here and he said if it was him he'd go with Discover too.

I just found out who my Big Sib is, did any of you apply for that too?

my brother works at a local bank here and he said if it was him he'd go with Discover too.

I just found out who my Big Sib is, did any of you apply for that too?

I e-mailed John VanStraten with an attached Big Sib application on 6/16 and have yet to receive word from him. Did you guys e-mail him? Snail-mail the application? Similar date as me? I'm not really worried about it yet but if you guys already know who your big siblings are, how/when did you apply? Thanks.

I e-mailed John VanStraten with an attached Big Sib application on 6/16 and have yet to receive word from him. Did you guys e-mail him? Snail-mail the application? Similar date as me? I'm not really worried about it yet but if you guys already know who your big siblings are, how/when did you apply? Thanks.

I sent it back on June 18th. It's probably pretty random...I wouldn't worry yet. If you haven't heard anything in another week or two, maybe email him again...

I decided not to do the Big Sibling thing. It was my kind of thing about 2 years ago, but... well, it's not. Congrats to all who have started it, though. It looks like a really solid program. I hope you get a lot out of it.

I wonder when we'll find out who the newly accepted person is...

I am going to be setting up a fantasy football league on yahoo for anyone who wants to join. Just send me a PM or post here and I'll send the login information your way.

If people wish to do one for money, that's fine, just make sure we set up an alternate league (unless everyone agrees to pay a nominal fee). A free one is always fun.

I will post this here and on Facebook and SGA. Good luck to everyone!

I have worked in a research lab for the past 3 years...and as a result, I have almost NO professional dress clothes. I'm about to go on a Fashion 911 shopping spree and I have one question about the dress code because I don't want to waste any money...

-Are short sleeved button down dress shirts, worn with ties of course, acceptable for men? I understand the shirt and tie rule, and have no problem with it (actually like it a little)...but I'd like to mix in some short sleeved shirts especially because of the heat in the summer.

Thanks!

I have worked in a research lab for the past 3 years...and as a result, I have almost NO professional dress clothes. I'm about to go on a Fashion 911 shopping spree and I have one question about the dress code because I don't want to waste any money...

-Are short sleeved button down dress shirts, worn with ties of course, acceptable for men? I understand the shirt and tie rule, and have no problem with it (actually like it a little)...but I'd like to mix in some short sleeved shirts especially because of the heat in the summer.

Thanks!

Short sleeves are fine :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose Discover for everything as well for me. You figured when picking lenders, pick one that's not the giant in that industry, like Discover. It likely will offer more services for the same amount of even less money. :D I'm all approved and ready to go!

I submitted my application with Discover yesterday around 5pm. How do they know how much I am borrowing? Do they get that info from school directly? And how long does it take for them to approve the loan?

Thanks!

I sent it back on June 18th. It's probably pretty random...I wouldn't worry yet. If you haven't heard anything in another week or two, maybe email him again...

What exactly does this big sib do? I am guessing you are assigned a 2nd/3rd/4th year student who gives you academic guidance?

Do I have to say - I love you bro! or I love you sis? :)

I haven't done it yet..but I might!

But then again, when we have DW, nlax and scopod ..why do we need anyone else!

whoa whoa whoa.. is there NO CABLE INTERNET in Lakewood Ranch?????? That is what I was told by a service rep at the electric company today.

whoa whoa whoa.. is there NO CABLE INTERNET in Lakewood Ranch?????? That is what I was told by a service rep at the electric company today.

Umm.. I don't know. I hope for your sake that there is. I would call up Brighthouse Communications or check their website (www.brighthousehighspeed.com) to see if they offer internet in your zip code.

Good luck!

I just tried calling Colonial Grand at LWR with no answer.. hmmmm i am worried! The website says "high speed internet" available.. soo... idk. If its dsl thats OK.

WHEW ! BC I checked that website and it says yes!!! OK. So the person I talked to is obviously unknowledgeable.

WHEW ! BC I checked that website and it says yes!!! OK. So the person I talked to is obviously unknowledgeable.

Hahaha good! Well, I am living down the street from you in a place called Las Palmas. Although Brighthouse services the area around me, I actually deal with Comcast through the complex. I would continue to call CG: LWR and find out which provider you have. Then you can call that company and set up a date to have them turn on the cable and internet and install a modem and such for you. I won't be moving down until July 17th, but I already have them coming out that evening (5:00 - 7:30 PM). Also, my Comcast services my complex with free basic cable. Since I got a new TV, I really wanted HD service. It was a simple $25 a month upgrade to get 52 extra channels, plus all of the non-premium HD channels. Not only that, but I also got a deal for $9 off internet for 6 months ($33.99 a month instead of $42.99). So, to make a long story short, I would get the provider for CG:LWR and then call them to get your account set up.

Hope that helps!

definitley thanks!! I called them a little over an hour ago.. they haven't returned my call yet.. but i will call them again in a few hours if not!

Also, my Comcast services my complex with free basic cable. Since I got a new TV, I really wanted HD service. It was a simple $25 a month upgrade to get 52 extra channels, plus all of the non-premium HD channels. Not only that, but I also got a deal for $9 off internet for 6 months ($33.99 a month instead of $42.99). So, to make a long story short, I would get the provider for CG:LWR and then call them to get your account set up.

Hope that helps!

February 17, 2009 dawns the digital transition of television. Basic cable will be required by law to broadcast in an all digital (high definition) system. I bought a decent television several months ago (1080p) and considered buying a box and springing for the extra channels etc. but it won't really be necessary after 02/17/2009.

February 17, 2009 dawns the digital transition of television. Basic cable will be required by law to broadcast in an all digital (high definition) system. I bought a decent television several months ago (1080p) and considered buying a box and springing for the extra channels etc. but it won't really be necessary after 02/17/2009.

I've heard of that, but it really isn't a problem. The extra 52 channels (especially ESPNews) are worth $25. There is also a sports package that enables all of the sports channels for $5 a month (NFL network, Tennis network, NBA network, etc). We'll see how that goes. If the cost of the box is greater than the cost of the extra channels alone come February, I'll just change my account.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I didn't know that all basic channels would be HD at that point. I, too, just bought an HDTV (1080p) off of Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253118). It took a lot of research, but I was able to get that and my laptop on my Newegg preferred account with the ability to pay for it later (Jan 2009 for computer, July 2009 for TV). Not that I'm going to wait that long, but it makes it easier to pay for other bills such as rent, food, gas, etc., until the loan checks come in.

I've heard of that, but it really isn't a problem. The extra 52 channels (especially ESPNews) are worth $25. There is also a sports package that enables all of the sports channels for $5 a month (NFL network, Tennis network, NBA network, etc). We'll see how that goes. If the cost of the box is greater than the cost of the extra channels alone come February, I'll just change my account.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I didn't know that all basic channels would be HD at that point. I, too, just bought an HDTV (1080p) off of Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253118). It took a lot of research, but I was able to get that and my laptop on my Newegg preferred account with the ability to pay for it later (Jan 2009 for computer, July 2009 for TV). Not that I'm going to wait that long, but it makes it easier to pay for other bills such as rent, food, gas, etc., until the loan checks come in.

I think we're sticking with our Direct TV for now...but I'm not sure. It works GREAT here in Virginia, but I wonder how it is in Florida with all the thunder storms?

Anyone?

I am SURE that LWR has high-speed internet of some type. I am waiting to hear back from my landlord for sure.

I think we're sticking with our Direct TV for now...but I'm not sure. It works GREAT here in Virginia, but I wonder how it is in Florida with all the thunder storms?

Anyone?

I am SURE that LWR has high-speed internet of some type. I am waiting to hear back from my landlord for sure.

I thought about switching to DirecTV, too. I have heard a lot of great things about the service and felt like getting $50 for me and a friend (I've seen that stupid commercial too much). It also has a lot of sporting programs that I like such as NFL ticket, and such. It was kind of hard, though, to justify paying for DirecTV instead of only $25 for what I am getting.

I hope it works for you, though. I'm still up for changing one day, so I now know who to hit up for the $50/$50 promotion!

Anyone?

I'm getting direct TV, I heard the service was much better than Comcast, I'm doing verizon for internet

I'm getting direct TV, I heard the service was much better than Comcast, I'm doing verizon for internet

Hey, anyone getting DTV...

Make sure to tell 'em I sent you so we each get $50.

I really do like ours. It's cheap and awesome. We've had it for about 2 years and it's gone out maybe twice for a few minutes during BAAAAD storms...It normally does just fine in storms...don't know why those were different, but...

I do wonder about the crazy Florida summer electrical storms though...

We're pretty much set on our house. I got my friggin' antidepressant test done today finally....sheesh!

I got a statement in the mail from LECOM saying my student bill has been paid by my loans (that was QUICK).

They rock.

Anyone?

My bro-in-law has Direct TV, and it works great when it's not storming. He's mentioned problems with it while it's raining/windy. Unfortunately (especially around this time of the year), we have our usual evening thunderstorms, with an hour later bright and sunny again. Then again, I have Verizon Fios which is great but has also been out of service a few times-- just nothing regular or weather related.

What exactly does this big sib do? I am guessing you are assigned a 2nd/3rd/4th year student who gives you academic guidance?

Do I have to say - I love you bro! or I love you sis? :)

I haven't done it yet..but I might!

But then again, when we have DW, nlax and scopod ..why do we need anyone else!

What if one of those guys is your big-sib? How awesome would that be?!?!

:soexcited:

If you have the choice and if it's offered, I would do Verizon Fios. The hi-def is the best, and they also have a package deal for like $99 cable with Showtime, Starz, TMC, plus some others with the On Demands, internet, and unlimited long distance phone service. The only caveat, it's not offered everywhere.

How's your move going btw? Any progress with the moving truck?

I got a statement in the mail from LECOM saying my student bill has been paid by my loans (that was QUICK).

They rock.

I got the same thing. I went over my spreadsheet I made that calculated how much money I would have left over after paying back bills (food, gas, rent, etc) and my original calculation was waaaay off. I reworked the numbers and here's what I found out: if you look at the expected budget for first year students, the "Books and Equipment" money ($3700) is spread out over both semesters. I have the formulas to prove it if you want to check, but after I adjusted everything to the bill I got in the mail the numbers add up. We have $1850 (according to the budget) coming to us to pay for books and a computer this semester. Another $1850 is built in to come next semester, I would guess to buy any books left that we might need and to buy diagnostic equipment.

If someone wants to check the spreadsheet, just let me know. I don't mind emailing it to you.

Off to pick up my brother.. I'm late!

I sent out the spreadsheet to those who PM'd me. Adjust the cells as necessary (i.e., put $0 for insurance stipon if you're getting the school's insurance). Also, delete the $2700 for "ring payment." I was engaged a few months back and now I'm stuck paying back the ring. No I cannot return it, the person does not take returns. No I don't want to sell it on eBay or something because it means I can get a bigger ring for someone else later on in life. Hahaha. Maybe a bit more info that you all cared to hear, but you'd hear about it sooner or later at school.. no sense in hiding it.

Anyways!!! Again, just adjust the cells to what you need. You don't need to put in the "$" sign because all of the cells are set to display currency. So you can simply type numbers. The totals will adjust as needed.

Hope it helps, even just a little!

....We have $1850 (according to the budget) coming to us to pay for books and a computer this semester. Another $1850 is built in to come next semester, I would guess to buy any books left that we might need and to buy diagnostic equipment....

You should kind of keep this in mind when budgeting: They take your total loan amount and divide it in half. Half goes toward your bill in August and half in January. However, ALL of your fees, including disability insurance, library fees...whatever..... are charged during the first semester. They take that all out up front. For the second semester, the only thing coming out is $1008.00 for insurance and tuition. IOW, your first check is smaller.

Also, keep in mind that it's only intended to cover 10 months of the year for your first year. You get a check in August, then 5 months later in January, then 7 months later in August again. Your second check is bigger, but it still may take some creative financing to make it through the year if you don't have any summer income.

You should kind of keep this in mind when budgeting: They take your total loan amount and divide it in half. Half goes toward your bill in August and half in January. However, ALL of your fees, including disability insurance, library fees...whatever..... are charged during the first semester. They take that all out up front. For the second semester, the only thing coming out is $1008.00 for insurance and tuition. IOW, your first check is smaller.

Also, keep in mind that it's only intended to cover 10 months of the year for your first year. You get a check in August, then 5 months later in January, then 7 months later in August again. Your second check is bigger, but it still may take some creative financing to make it through the year if you don't have any summer income.

Yeah, I figured that out now. I just thought since we needed a computer and books first semester we would get that all in one sum. I was incorrect.

Yeah, I figured that out now. I just thought since we needed a computer and books first semester we would get that all in one sum. I was incorrect.

It's even worse third year. You get that small check up front, with all the fees taken out, but it has to last all the way til mid January. You get extra money, but it's still split in half, instead of being given when you actually need it.

I have a question about disability insurance.. it is charged 530$ on our tuition statement (age/health variable or whatever).. but where do we apply for this?? It wasn't sent with the health insurance information..

I have a question about disability insurance.. it is charged 530$ on our tuition statement (age/health variable or whatever).. but where do we apply for this?? It wasn't sent with the health insurance information..

You don't apply for it; you just get billed for it...and it's based on your age. I think mine was over $800, but I don't remember for sure.

regarding the loans, I applied on Thursday night and got approved on that Friday! It's really quick. And by the way, the amount next to the federal loans are all $0, don't worry, they will find out how much exactly the Stafford loans are! They do this for a living so they'd better know how! ;)

I have Directv too! I love it, we get the NFL sunday ticket and my boyfriend does a fantasy football thingy with his friends and won $900! I am interested in the fantasy football, but I don't know how much time we have to follow up on football and such! I would love to!

If more than one person are getting Directv, let me know and we can split the $100 too! :) That's another book man!

Priorities in med school: med school, boyfriend, working out, beach (occasionally, hopefully). First three are mandatory, last one optional and desirable. ;)

I submitted my application with Discover yesterday around 5pm. How do they know how much I am borrowing? Do they get that info from school directly? And how long does it take for them to approve the loan?

Thanks!

one more question: I dont have a car.. would it be smarter to lease a car or buy one from car max??? I dont have much $$, so yeah.

one more question: I dont have a car.. would it be smarter to lease a car or buy one from car max??? I dont have much $$, so yeah.

I don't know about renting a car, but if you live near someone I'm sure you could carpool and just chip in for gas. Heck, if you leave near me I would have no problem picking you up on my way into school. Where are you living?

^^ Thanks, that is really nice of you, I will be living at Colonial Grand at LWR-- how about you??.. but I would like to have a car.. just for random reasons like grocery shopping, going to someones place, and the beach if anyone wants to go (or when my sisters come down to visit).. and the preceptorships..

A touche, salesman. Well, CG: LWR is on the way to school. There are a couple of friends that I have made that also live in CG: LWR that I might be picking up anyway. If you'd ever like a ride just call me at 5126271552. I'm living at Las Palmas which is just off University on the West side of 75. If I'm not picking someone up, I'll just head up 75 for an exit, but if I have to swing by CG, then I'll just go up LWR Boulevard.

By the way. In case everyone here hasn't seen on Facebook, a group of us are going to see "The Dark Knight" on the evening of July 19th. I'll get a time posted on here, facebook, and SGA when I get a time set up. We'll probably grab a small bite to eat prior, but it's all just for fun. It'll be nice to meet everyone!

Well I'm now part of the "HiDef crowd"..... wife and I picked up a new TV (42" LCD) the other night. So I'm finding myself watching things I normally wouldn't watch on PBS just because it's in HD......amazing.

Most of the areas around school will be serviced by Brighthouse. I live in the Harborage and I think we're one of the few places in Manatee county that is served by Comcast.

Money saving tip: If you don't watch that much TV and just want some basic level of service we subscribe to some ~$10/month cable plan that's called something like "Limited Basic", basically one step below the normal/standard cable (without a box). Get's about 20 channels, mainly things like all the local networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, a few PBS, etc....) I definitely miss my ESPN and Discovery channels but if I do watch something it's usually only network programming during dinner or later at night when I'm home. AND, if you have an HDTV, have cable service, but DON'T have a cable box you can still plug your TV straight into the cable line and usually get the major networks in HD without having to get an HD box and subscribe to the higher priced plans, as long as your TV has a QAM tuner in it. Most cable companies send out the local networks HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS and a few others) over the cable line unscrambled.

Well I'm now part of the "HiDef crowd"..... wife and I picked up a new TV (42" LCD) the other night. So I'm finding myself watching things I normally wouldn't watch on PBS just because it's in HD......amazing.

Most of the areas around school will be serviced by Brighthouse. I live in the Harborage and I think we're one of the few places in Manatee county that is served by Comcast.

Money saving tip: If you don't watch that much TV and just want some basic level of service we subscribe to some ~$10/month cable plan that's called something like "Limited Basic", basically one step below the normal/standard cable (without a box). Get's about 20 channels, mainly things like all the local networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, a few PBS, etc....) I definitely miss my ESPN and Discovery channels but if I do watch something it's usually only network programming during dinner or later at night when I'm home. AND, if you have an HDTV, have cable service, but DON'T have a cable box you can still plug your TV straight into the cable line and usually get the major networks in HD without having to get an HD box and subscribe to the higher priced plans, as long as your TV has a QAM tuner in it. Most cable companies send out the local networks HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS and a few others) over the cable line unscrambled.

HD PBS?! I didn't even know there was such a thing. This new TV idea might become a distraction...

HD PBS?! I didn't even know there was such a thing. This new TV idea might become a distraction...

Yeah...I've wanted a HDTV since they came out, but now I'm afraid that it would distract me too much. We don't actually watch that much actual television, but movies and dvd'd shows are another story...

The problem is that we're BIG fans of serialized shows with long, good plot arcs: Heroes, Buffy, Lost, etc...So when we start watching a show, we don't like to stop.

I'm planning on just getting really far behind, then catching up at Christmas and Summer...for now, at least...

My father-in-law just bought a new ~70" plasma and BluRay player. It's amazing.
------------------------
In other news, I'd like to get us all together to pool some cash and maybe get something nice for Heather and the admissions office staff for being so wonderfully amazing.

As alot of you know, I applied really broadly and have dealt with staff at a ton of places, and our is very, very, very good. If we all chip in a couple bucks we could get them a nice gift basket or something...

Just a thought...I'll ask on the other boards too...

Yeah...I've wanted a HDTV since they came out, but now I'm afraid that it would distract me too much. We don't actually watch that much actual television, but movies and dvd'd shows are another story...

The problem is that we're BIG fans of serialized shows with long, good plot arcs: Heroes, Buffy, Lost, etc...So when we start watching a show, we don't like to stop.

I'm planning on just getting really far behind, then catching up at Christmas and Summer...for now, at least...

My father-in-law just bought a new ~70" plasma and BluRay player. It's amazing.

------------------------
In other news, I'd like to get us all together to pool some cash and maybe get something nice for Heather and the admissions office staff for being so wonderfully amazing.

As alot of you know, I applied really broadly and have dealt with staff at a ton of places, and our is very, very, very good. If we all chip in a couple bucks we could get them a nice gift basket or something...

Drool...

That's a great idea, digitl. :thumbup: Just tell me how much to pitch in, and I'll get you the money ASAP. The office will love our class the best :D

me too, I am in! They really do a great job! If you use paypal, I can get you the money that way or just mail it old fashioned like ;) Fabulous idea!

I think that would be pretty nice.. the admissions staff at lecom b are definitely the best, and very prompt which i LOVE! Heather is so sweet, I am so sad she was sick on my interview day so I didn't get to meet her -- before that we had been trading emails every few days!..

Anyone staying at Colonial Grand at LWR set up their internet yet? I will probably just go through Brighthouse and try to see if I can get a bundle package even though cable is paid directly through the complex. Did anyoneI explore any other options?