LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kate

* University Parkway SuperTarget
101 N Cattlemen Rd
Sarasota, FL 34243
(941) 360-7520

This is off the Target website.. the one shown above (by digitl) is only a regular target.. its pretty close to where Im living (6mins!) but not sure about you! The next closest is in Brandon South(Riverview).. so probably not as close

That's the one I was trying to show...stupid google maps link didn't update when I found it...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

^^ oh yeah and Kate.. I really don't want to buy used furniture.. although there doesn't appear to be a bedbug epidemic down there as there is up north.. Id be way to scared, because Ive heard horror stories about those things!!!! But thanks, I will check out WalMart for a cheap desk if Super Target doesn't have them..

That's the one I was trying to show...stupid google maps link didn't update when I found it...

Thanks!

haha yeah i didn't mean offense! I just wanted Kate to get to the right one.. id be pissed if i ended up at a regular target instead of a super one!!

.. and thats allright google maps is still quite nice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yeah i didn't mean offense! I just wanted Kate to get to the right one.. id be pissed if i ended up at a regular target instead of a super one!!

.. and thats allright google maps is still quite nice :)

None taken! I found that one first, then changed the city to Sarasota and found the one you posted...then I copied the link...

...and it links to the bradenton one...weird...I thought it would update when I changed the city...Oh well....no biggie...

so is anyone else in this thread moving down without their significant other??? because i am.. and im quite upset about it.. :(

so is anyone else in this thread moving down without their significant other??? because i am.. and im quite upset about it.. :(

I am...for about 2 wks or so...much more than that will suck...

Yay rotations...

I am...for about 2 wks or so...much more than that will suck...

Yay rotations...

lucky!!! I'll be alone until I don't know when.. I pray there will be some rotations in Chicago.. because this is really going to suck.. every time I even think about school I start balling my eyes out!! :( pretty sad. haha.

I'm going to set up my internet with Brighthouse at Colonial Grand. They set up a deal with Brighthouse where you only have to pay an extra $36 and you get internet, HD, and an additional 80 channels. That's what I'm gonna do.

Thats a real sweet deal. Did you call Brighthouse or CG to set that up?

My fiancée Krystal helped drive me down here from Houston and I just dropped her off at the airport to go back home. She has to to finish nursing school.

I wish she was still here.

We're planning to get married after year 2 but I have to see what group I'll be in and how much time I'll have to prepare for board tests.

It will definitely be hard without her

^^ oh yeah and Kate.. I really don't want to buy used furniture.. although there doesn't appear to be a bedbug epidemic down there as there is up north.. Id be way to scared, because Ive heard horror stories about those things!!!! But thanks, I will check out WalMart for a cheap desk if Super Target doesn't have them..

No, I'd never buy a used bed, but you could get a nice desk or table and chairs from craigslist for cheap. For us, we are only staying in this house for a year, so anything that we get has to be somewhat disposable. I'm not too close to either of those targets, I'm north of the school, so I'll have to take a bit of a drive out to go check out a few things. Too bad, I'd much prefer target to a walmart any day.

No, I'd never buy a used bed, but you could get a nice desk or table and chairs from craigslist for cheap. For us, we are only staying in this house for a year, so anything that we get has to be somewhat disposable. I'm not too close to either of those targets, I'm north of the school, so I'll have to take a bit of a drive out to go check out a few things. Too bad, I'd much prefer target to a walmart any day.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back about a nice office set I saw on Craigslist. On that note: Does anyone have a truck? :D

Hey is there some kinda school code to use to get discounts on laptops? I remember when I got my computer for undergrad I had a discount code given to me by my school which saved me like 10-15% or something. Does LECOM do this?

Hey is there some kinda school code to use to get discounts on laptops? I remember when I got my computer for undergrad I had a discount code given to me by my school which saved me like 10-15% or something. Does LECOM do this?

On a similar note, does LECOM offer discounts on Microsoft Office? Looking for a mac version :rolleyes:.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a similar note, does LECOM offer discounts on Microsoft Office? Looking for a mac version :rolleyes:.

I might or might not have a copy of Office.. does it work with Macs, I don't know.

Last edited:

Kate just type your address into this page (its the target find a store page) and see if there is one close to you.. you can narrow it down to supertargets by putting a checkmark in that box, if you wish..

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/page.jsp?title=store_locator_new&ref=nav_store_locator

just so everyone knows.. I just purchased the anatomy, histology, and clinical book (not ekg) for the first 2 weeks as annette said..

if anyone did NOT purchase it yet.. for the anatomy books use ISBN 0443068410 it is a packet with both anatomy books together.. I literally hit submit and then found this deal.. too bad I ended up paying 30$ more than I should have by buying them seprately.. (this is off half.com)

Kate just type your address into this page (its the target find a store page) and see if there is one close to you.. you can narrow it down to supertargets by putting a checkmark in that box, if you wish..

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/page.jsp?title=store_locator_new&ref=nav_store_locator

Maybe you can find some things on the SGA website, too. It seems a lot of students are trying to get rid of bookcases, all sorts of things other than beds. It's worth looking into anyways.

http://lecomsgabradenton.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=159&board=11.0

Best to all of you getting settled, you can do it!!
cheer.gif

just so everyone knows.. I just purchased the anatomy, histology, and clinical book (not ekg) for the first 2 weeks as annette said..

if anyone did NOT purchase it yet.. for the anatomy books use ISBN 0443068410 it is a packet with both anatomy books together.. I literally hit submit and then found this deal.. too bad I ended up paying 30$ more than I should have by buying them seprately.. (this is off half.com)

You guys think I'll be ok with the Histo e-book?

Thanks for the anatomy package...I didn't know about that and already ordered my Gray's for Students (In fact, I've been reading the back chapter...yay!) We have a Grant's Atlas, and Netter's Flashcards though...I might pick up another atlas if I find one I like better but this will do for now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Has anyone been pulled of the alternate list yet? Im DYING for a phone call!

Ok, because I am such a nerd!!! I have been making concept maps of all the tissue types (I know, I know God help me)

But...if anyone is interested in having a copy let me know, I can't get it to you right away since I am leaving tomorrow, but I'll put your name on a list and have a copy for you within the next week

Ok, because I am such a nerd!!! I have been making concept maps of all the tissue types (I know, I know God help me)

But...if anyone is interested in having a copy let me know, I can't get it to you right away since I am leaving tomorrow, but I'll put your name on a list and have a copy for you within the next week

You already know I want one, right?

Then I better be second on that list! You know I need all the help I can get.

Please kindly pretty please .. include me too! Maybe you can put it on a website for people to download?

I'll trade you that for my histology chapter notes. I've been a little too busy lately to finish them, but I'll get them done on the 18th (once I'm settled down in Florida) and get them out.

Collective information FTW.

Please kindly pretty please .. include me too! Maybe you can put it on a website for people to download?

I'm not sure if I'm that technologically advanced to figure out how to do that.......

....but like I said it will be a few days since I"m in the middle of moving

I'm not sure if I'm that technologically advanced to figure out how to do that.......

Send it to me, and I'll post it...

so my boyfriend and I are driving the 24' Budget truck down there starting next Thursday. Is there anything I need to know before hand? How much was it for you? It's saying with the FASTB coupon $1168 right now. I figured since you are just off the Budget truck, memory's still fresh?

Laura, can I have a copy as well? Thank you! :)

Then I better be second on that list! You know I need all the help I can get.

Are you sure, we're all DYING to study now!! :smuggrin:

OMG, an aside for those of you not living in FL yet, my kitten just caught a lizard INSIDE our house (a big one too). She caught one outside last week, and I expected them outside, just not inside. It's not that I'm afraid of them or anything, but this one was in my kids shoes and I thought it was shoelaces.

Are you sure, we're all DYING to study now!! :smuggrin:

OMG, an aside for those of you not living in FL yet, my kitten just caught a lizard INSIDE our house (a big one too). She caught one outside last week, and I expected them outside, just not inside. It's not that I'm afraid of them or anything, but this one was in my kids shoes and I thought it was shoelaces.

Wow! Sounds like fun! Where are you guys living? LWR?

so my boyfriend and I are driving the 24' Budget truck down there starting next Thursday. Is there anything I need to know before hand? How much was it for you? It's saying with the FASTB coupon $1168 right now. I figured since you are just off the Budget truck, memory's still fresh?

HAVE FUN!!

We spent a ton on gas, it takes diesel. Just be careful going thru the mountains in TN and GA, if you're going that way. There were slow lanes on the right side, I swear we were going 35 on the highway through most of the hills (with alot of other trucks). Those budget trucks don't have alot of power to them, especially when loaded down with a house full of stuff. My husband drove, so I'm not sure how the thing actually drives. The first day, he had it on some setting that didn't get good gas milage before figuring it out. It was the economy setting, with it on he says that it was going much slower and got bad milage for some reason.

Just give yourself extra time and enjoy the sights. It's definately different out here from the midwest.

Last edited:

HAVE FUN!!

We spent a ton on gas, it takes diesel. Just be careful going thru the mountains in TN and GA, if you're going that way. There were slow lanes on the right side, I swear we were going 35 on the highway through most of the hills (with alot of other trucks). Those budget trucks don't have alot of power to them, especially when loaded down with a house full of stuff. My husband drove, so I'm not sure how the thing actually drives. The first day, he had it on some setting that didn't get good gas milage before figuring it out. It was the economy setting, with it on he says that it was going much slower and got bad milage for some reason.

Just give yourself extra time and enjoy the sights. It's definately different out here from the midwest.

I second all that. I drove a 26' with a full trailer behind to pull my car. The mountains in PA are what did me in, but after that it wasnt too bad. I got pretty ballsy with it and was actually passing people the second day.

And Laura I would love a copy as well!!!

Thanks!

Good luck everyone moving down this week! I will be driving down this Friday, but then spending the week with the family (my mom is a bit sentimental and wants to leave as late as possible). Don't forget everyone: "The Dark Knight" group movie excursion is Saturday evening. If you feel that your children are old enough, they're welcome, too. Everyone can come!

I'll take a copy, I think we can all use all the help we can get!

Good luck everyone moving down this week! I will be driving down this Friday, but then spending the week with the family (my mom is a bit sentimental and wants to leave as late as possible). Don't forget everyone: "The Dark Knight" group movie excursion is Saturday evening. If you feel that your children are old enough, they're welcome, too. Everyone can come!

We just watched Batman Begins for the first time last night. It was pretty good. Definitely excited for the next one...too bad I won't be down in time to go...

If anyone wants to go again on the 26th or 27th, I'd be up for it!

We just watched Batman Begins for the first time last night. It was pretty good. Definitely excited for the next one...too bad I won't be down in time to go...

If anyone wants to go again on the 26th or 27th, I'd be up for it!

I am so impressed with the way this director is taking the series (well, taking back to the way Batman was supposed to be portrayed). I'll go and see this as many times as you'd like. Batman is up there with some of the coolest superheros of all time. He's up there with Gambit, Bishop, Green Lantern, and others.

A general question: who here does NOT run Microsoft Office 2007? With people getting new laptops I would assume it is the standard now, but I'm just curious.

I am so impressed with the way this director is taking the series (well, taking back to the way Batman was supposed to be portrayed). I'll go and see this as many times as you'd like. Batman is up there with some of the coolest superheros of all time. He's up there with Gambit, Bishop, Green Lantern, and others.

A general question: who here does NOT run Microsoft Office 2007? With people getting new laptops I would assume it is the standard now, but I'm just curious.

I always thought Batman was the most badass. Simply because he is the only superhero (at least, major superhero) without super powers...

Unless you count being really, really rich...

I do use Office 2007. It took a little getting used to, but I once I got used to the new layout, I actually much prefer it. Why do you ask?

I always thought Batman was the most badass. Simply because he is the only superhero (at least, major superhero) without super powers...

Unless you count being really, really rich...

I do use Office 2007. It took a little getting used to, but I once I got used to the new layout, I actually much prefer it. Why do you ask?

Well, I save all my files in the .docx or .xlsx format, which is the format for Office '07. If I'm going to try to copy LauraDO and give out my Histo (and beyond) notes, I want to know if I have to save my files in both 97-2003 format and 07 format. I know it'd be simpler to save in the older format, but it is just easier to have one copy of files on my PC than two. I type up all of my notes, so you can see how that would get a bit overwhelming.

On top of that, once or twice or thrice a month I like to go through my PC's files and compress space, deleting anything I do not need and organizing what I do have. If I were to make both save files, my folders would look like:

• My Documents
    • College Documents
    • Medical School Documents
      • Histology
        • 97-2003
      • Anatomy
        • 97-2003
      • Embryology
        • 97-2003

.. and so on. I know that probably isn't necessary, but I hate my files being disorganized on my computer.

Well, I save all my files in the .docx or .xlsx format, which is the format for Office '07. If I'm going to try to copy LauraDO and give out my Histo (and beyond) notes, I want to know if I have to save my files in both 97-2003 format and 07 format. I know it'd be simpler to save in the older format, but it is just easier to have one copy of files on my PC than two. I type up all of my notes, so you can see how that would get a bit overwhelming.

On top of that, once or twice or thrice a month I like to go through my PC's files and compress space, deleting anything I do not need and organizing what I do have. If I were to make both save files, my folders would look like:

• My Documents
    • College Documents
    • Medical School Documents
      • Histology
        • 97-2003
      • Anatomy
        • 97-2003
      • Embryology
        • 97-2003

.. and so on. I know that probably isn't necessary, but I hate my files being disorganized on my computer.

I'd really like to figure out how to get Groove working, so we can all sync our files and have them update and share automatically...haven't tried it yet...

BC: AIM me when you get a sec...

I don't mean to divert topic (although I guess that's what I am doing), but can anyone shade some light on the anatomy lab at LECOM? In most schools that I know of (UNC, EVMS, ECU etc), they dissect cadavers in groups. One group does on part of the body and another group does some other part.

I personally believe that when you actually dissect and examine the structure on a cadaver..that's the best way to learn Anatomy. I am just trying to get a sense of what is it like at LECOM anatomy lab?

Or I could wait few more weeks and find out myself!

I don't mean to divert topic (although I guess that's what I am doing), but can anyone shade some light on the anatomy lab at LECOM? In most schools that I know of (UNC, EVMS, ECU etc), they dissect cadavers in groups. One group does on part of the body and another group does some other part.

I personally believe that when you actually dissect and examine the structure on a cadaver..that's the best way to learn Anatomy. I am just trying to get a sense of what is it like at LECOM anatomy lab?

Or I could wait few more weeks and find out myself!

Well, for starters...LECOM does prosections.

I've heard that you can dissect in second year, if you so desire (basically setting up the prosections for the new 1st years)

I don't remember much other specifics...I think it might be 4 per cadaver, but don't quote me on that...

Well, for starters...LECOM does prosections.

I've heard that you can dissect in second year, if you so desire (basically setting up the prosections for the new 1st years)

I don't remember much other specifics...I think it might be 4 per cadaver, but don't quote me on that...

Thanks! At least one article I just read (abstract) provided some data that learning from prosection provides better outcome than dissection method. That's promising.

Thanks! At least one article I just read (abstract) provided some data that learning from prosection provides better outcome than dissection method. That's promising.

I'm actually a big fan of prosection. There's so much to learn in med school, that the time consuming tradition of cutting through layers and layers of fat to visualize a structure just seems stupid.

To those that are interested in surgery or possible EM, I might say to do the dissections in the second year, but I don't think it's something that should be at the forefront of medical education. Better things to spend our time on, IMO

That being said, I might like to do, like, a day or so of cutting if they let you do that...just to feel what it's like. Don't think I'd want to do it for the whole semester, but a little bit of cutting experience would be nice before doing it on the living...Hopefully we'll get to do some of that in labs or something. I've seen pics of a suturing lab at one point, so who knows...

Things may have changed, but for us the class was split in half for labs. There was very little didactic teaching during lab - basically there's an assignment to go through on the computer - ID structures in a ppt, etc. and the cadavers are out to look at and explore as much or as little as students desire. If too many people are clustering around a body, the profs may redirect some students, but basically you're on your own. Lots of lab pictures show up on practicals, so it behooves you to not blow them off.

You won't be doing any dissection, although we did have the opportunity to do so during the summer after MS-1. I spent some hours in the lab, but honestly it wasn't too exciting since they really didn't want us to do too much damage dissection before classes started.

Having done a year of gross w/ dissection and the 10 weeks at LECOM w/o dissection, in my opinion, you're not losing anything by not dissecting, and there's absolutely no way you could cover that amount of info w/ dissection on top of it. However, if you are a very kinesthetic learner, definitely spend time in the lab following the muscles, tracing them to the bones, seeing how the nerves branch, pinching the vessels, etc. That's the end goal of dissection, so the prosection is just saving you many tedious hours to get to that point.