LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) The first week has been getting progressively harder through the years. It used to be mostly orientation stuff with very little coursework, but based on suggestions from previous classes it has a lot more substance to it (so it's not 100% med school coursework but it's pretty close).

2) Note taking service is much easier, plus they will print out the powerpoints for you before every lecture.

3) You'll find that regardless of how quiet your home/apt is, you will need to go somewhere else to study. Some good places to study - LECOM (although you have to wear dress code during school hours and most people don't want to go back there after 8 hours), B&N/Borders (change of scenery), Tim Horton's (24 hours, tons of donuts), Wegman's (open most hours, now with beer !), and my personal favorite, Starbucks ! (plenty of caffeinated beverages).

4) Every professor tells you at the beginning of the course that everything you need to know is in the notes. There was maybe one professor that had us read, and that's it. You'll find out real quick which books you need to buy and for the most part I never used any of them.

When/where can we sign up for note taking services if needed? also, what's the cost? I hope my apartment is a good place to study. I don't like studying at coffee shops. Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1. The fall sem ends Dec 17. Does anyone know when the winter semester begins? What date in Jan?
2. What do you guys do for fun in Erie with your limited free time? besides going to the gym or the movies...
3. What type of volunteering is there to do in Erie? I am interested in lending a hand int he community.
4. How easy/difficult is it to obtain scholarships?

The COMLEX passing part ?

Yeah you bastard, still waiting on my grades

Can anyone tell me if I need to have microsoft office on my laptop? The IT person at LECOM told me I'll need it. Anyone get by fine without it?

You will need somthing to open powerpoint files and word documents, if you don't want to pay for MS Office then use OpenOffice, it's similar to MS Office but it's free

1. The fall sem ends Dec 17. Does anyone know when the winter semester begins? What date in Jan?
2. What do you guys do for fun in Erie with your limited free time? besides going to the gym or the movies...
3. What type of volunteering is there to do in Erie? I am interested in lending a hand int he community.
4. How easy/difficult is it to obtain scholarships?

Usually the 1st or 2nd monday in January I can't remember which

Members don't see this ad :)
Slev: Good luck man, I am sure you did fine !

RedWingsTeamDoc:

What it comes down to is where you feel comfortable studying. I know many people who had no problem studying at home. I always had problems because I am a master of procrastination so I always find other things to do when home. Plus, I have an addiction to Starbucks.

1. The winter semester is variable but usually it's the 2nd.

2. Free time ??? J/K, there is a vibrant night life scene with plenty of awesome specials every day of the week for those who enjoy alcoholic libations (quarter draft night, dollar import night, etc). Also, there are multiple minor league teams in erie including the Seawolves (baseball - AA for Tigers), the Otters (minor league hockey team - OHL I believe), Erie Storm (indoor football), and Erie Bayhawks (basketball - D league team for Cavs). There is also an indoor soccer and indoor volleyball league at a local sports dome that students can get involved in. There are occasional concerts and whatnot interspersed in there but for those most of the time you'll have to travel. The plus side is that you are only 2 hours from pittsburgh, one hour from cleveland, 1 1/2 hours from buffalo, 2 hours from Niagara falls and 3 hours from toronto (approximately). So basically, you have your pick. Plus we have Presque Isle, one of the only beaches in pennsylvania (albeit a beach on Lake Erie).

3. Volunteering is easy to get involved in but I caution you to get a handle on how much studying you'll need before you get involved. You'll get a talk on community service opportunities and you can get some ideas from Dr. McCabe and Dr. Stano (you'll meet them both).

4. Scholarships can be applied for after first year and it's relatively easy if you apply and maintain a decent GPA. The downside is that they are relatively low amounts (i.e. a few thousand), but every little bit makes a difference. One thing that will improve your application is volunteering for the Scholarship Auction (but you'll hear more about that as well).

Last edited:
Hello 2014ers: mind if I interrupt for a moment? question about financial aid/loans since the health care legislation and if it has personally impacted your student loans.
Reason I ask...one of my (PA) students yesterday told me that she previously had a privately-funded Stafford unsub loan at fixed 5%, but when the gov't took over with Direct Lending she was unable to get that loan for the following semester and is now faced with a Direct Loan at 14! yes, 14%, and she cannot defer interest payments while in school (to the tune of ~$3k before graduation a year from now).
Sounds scary and got me a little spooked. I interviewed for the PA pathway recently and really want to attend...but of course I need student loans. I am far from maxed out FYI.

Hello 2014ers: mind if I interrupt for a moment? question about financial aid/loans since the health care legislation and if it has personally impacted your student loans.
Reason I ask...one of my (PA) students yesterday told me that she previously had a privately-funded Stafford unsub loan at fixed 5%, but when the gov't took over with Direct Lending she was unable to get that loan for the following semester and is now faced with a Direct Loan at 14! yes, 14%, and she cannot defer interest payments while in school (to the tune of ~$3k before graduation a year from now).
Sounds scary and got me a little spooked. I interviewed for the PA pathway recently and really want to attend...but of course I need student loans. I am far from maxed out FYI.

Hmm....not sure where she got that number, but the rates have not changed (still at 6.8%).

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

It may be a Grad Plus loan, since those are assigned based on credit history...?

Do we need to bring anything to orientation tomorrow?

How do we sign up for the notes service? And if any one has had it, is it worth it? Are the notes like 3 slides per page where you cant see anything and just waste of paper or is it good? Than You! :rolleyes:

How do we sign up for the notes service? And if any one has had it, is it worth it? Are the notes like 3 slides per page where you cant see anything and just waste of paper or is it good? Than You! :rolleyes:

There is a facebook group called "Note service for LECOM-Erie c/o 2014" that you can join, and more information will be given on the 1st day of class.
You can sign up to receive either
1. Printed ppts and printed scribed notes $160/sem
2. Printed ppts and emailed scribed notes $100/sem
3. Emailed scribe notes only $40/sem

See the facebook group for more information on how to sign up. I think that we will be printing 3-4 slides per page for ppts, but again you can elect to receive emailed scribe notes only if you desire.

Anyone know if some individuals didn't show up to orientation, as has happened in the past, meaning the waitlist may move early this upcoming week?

Thanks so much

Anyone know if some individuals didn't show up to orientation, as has happened in the past, meaning the waitlist may move early this upcoming week?

Thanks so much
My room (Mo-Z) looked to be pretty full. It was the smaller of the two rooms though, and since I didn't get to take a look into the A-Mo room, I can't say whether or not there was anything open there.

There is a facebook group called "Note service for LECOM-Erie c/o 2014" that you can join, and more information will be given on the 1st day of class.
You can sign up to receive either
1. Printed ppts and printed scribed notes $160/sem
2. Printed ppts and emailed scribed notes $100/sem
3. Emailed scribe notes only $40/sem

See the facebook group for more information on how to sign up. I think that we will be printing 3-4 slides per page for ppts, but again you can elect to receive emailed scribe notes only if you desire.

Thank You!

Hello,
Not sure if anybody checks this anymore but I am an OMS2 at LECOM Bradenton and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how far along you guys are with regards to picking year long rotations for 3rd year. We get your left overs and I'm anxious to see what options we will have available up North.
Thanks!

Just finished finding out general locations... haven't worked out specific hospitals yet. I believe we will be doing that early October. Good luck PBLer...