LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does that mean it IS acceptable? I just wanna make sure because I'm going to be shopping for dress clothes soon...

Walmart has nitriles gloves.

The point of the dress code is to dress professional, not to circumvent it. That said, I would stick to dark socks and dress pants so you don't look silly in white socks and dress shoes. I'm a girl and I never wore white socks except for omm. Buy some nice dockers And dark socks and call it a day.

The choir didn't exist when I was there. All the clubs are student run, so be the head of the choir if you are passionate about it and get others involved and it will happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does that mean it IS acceptable? I just wanna make sure because I'm going to be shopping for dress clothes soon...
But seriously, yes white socks are ok.

After the first month or so you'll realize you just don't care about how you look. Many people looked like they just rolled out of bed. As long as you have a shirt, pants, tie and shoes you are fine and can wear whatever type of undergarments you want.

There were some girls in my class that would come in dressed like hoes and some dressed nice, some wore what can at best be called a T shirt while others wore dresses. Some guys wore dark colored jeans and got away with it. I on occasion wore sneakers on OMM days because I didn't want to bring a 2nd pair of shoes with me. (I'm also wearing white socks most days because they are cheap) do I care, not really. Will they write me up for wearing white socks with khakis, I don't think so.

Last edited:
Walmart has nitriles gloves.

The point of the dress code is to dress professional, not to circumvent it. That said, I would stick to dark socks and dress pants so you don't look silly in white socks and dress shoes. I'm a girl and I never wore white socks except for omm. Buy some nice dockers And dark socks and call it a day.

The choir didn't exist when I was there. All the clubs are student run, so be the head of the choir if you are passionate about it and get others involved and it will happen.
Unfortunately I have very little singing experience, I'd love to join such a group to work on my singing skills (I was in my college's concert choir all of last year) but I'm not sure if I have enough experience to lead something like that :(

I could organize it, but to be actually in charge of music and rehearsal and organizing pieces would be another matter D:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I was in the last interview group and just found out that we don't get an updated roommate info list. Are there any dog lovers (he's small and really sweet) out there still looking for someone to live with?

Also, while you're all discussing clothing and dress codes, can someone please explain what constitutes a business casual bowling outfit for women? I missed that part the first time I read the invite.

Thanks!

Hey guys I have a 2 br brick home that's up for rent that is 5 mins from LECOM. I am a 4th year looking to rent it out.

Please contact me ASAP if you're interested and want more details/pics.

Hi all!

I was in the last interview group and just found out that we don't get an updated roommate info list. Are there any dog lovers (he's small and really sweet) out there still looking for someone to live with?

Also, while you're all discussing clothing and dress codes, can someone please explain what constitutes a business casual bowling outfit for women? I missed that part the first time I read the invite.

Thanks!
I'm also looking for a dog-friendly roommate for next year. I tentatively have a two-bedroom house lined up that's in a great neighborhood about five minutes from LECOM. PM me if anybody's still looking for a roommate, and then we can swap phone numbers and talk details.

Just accepted my financial aid award...WOW :scared:

Yeah, yeah - revel in your post-graduate servitude :laugh:
Hey P man,

I all ready did 4 years so with that time in service I get a bump of about 20K/year in pay during residency not a bad deal for me. The rest of my brethren in class eh. not so much

BTW want to take a drive with me up to Buffalo tomorrow morning, need to pick something up from the mall

Hey P man,

I all ready did 4 years so with that time in service I get a bump of about 20K/year in pay during residency not a bad deal for me. The rest of my brethren in class eh. not so much

BTW want to take a drive with me up to Buffalo tomorrow morning, need to pick something up from the mall

I would love to, but those damn surgeons like to start early. We need to get together to compare phones though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can one of you senior students clarify something for me? Do all osteopathic specialties require an osteopathic preliminary year? I am 85% sure that I wanna do IM so do I have to do 4 years of residency in order to be eligible for licensure and boards certification? Or are there only certain specialties that require that 1 year?

Thanks

Can one of you senior students clarify something for me? Do all osteopathic specialties require an osteopathic preliminary year? I am 85% sure that I wanna do IM so do I have to do 4 years of residency in order to be eligible for licensure and boards certification? Or are there only certain specialties that require that 1 year?

Thanks

Almost all residencies now have the preliminary year integrated into the residency program (i.e. it's included in the length of the residency) so it may mean that an allopathic residency in a given specialty would be one less year than the osteopathic. IM in most cases has that year integrated so it's part of the four years.

My monthly loan payment post grad $0 Dollars :)

Yea I'm really digging the whole selling your soul to the Army thing. I'm in BOLC right now and I'm really liking the Army. It fits my personality well. I;m thinking of making a career out of it but who knows. When it comes time for all you civies to mail in your first loan repayment check, I'll make sure to crack open a beer and poor some out for one's homies.

Guess theres always gotta be one in each class. From the research I've conducted, bow tie = douche bag unless you're british.

Hey you owe me a fence. My idiot ex-roomate (the douche) tried to fix it with white tape. Class job he did. Anyways, are you referencing the bowtie in our class? If so, you may wanna rethink what you said. If you wanna know why, send me a PM and I'll tell you in case you don't know

Yea I'm really digging the whole selling your soul to the Army thing. I'm in BOLC right now and I'm really liking the Army. It fits my personality well. I;m thinking of making a career out of it but who knows. When it comes time for all you civies to mail in your first loan repayment check, I'll make sure to crack open a beer and poor some out for one's homies.

You may want to hold off on that. A cold beer could be quite refreshing while your sweating your balls off in some third world country for 6 months :smuggrin:

You may want to hold off on that. A cold beer could be quite refreshing while your sweating your balls off in some third world country for 6 months :smuggrin:

Good call :laugh:

Yeah I hear you but in my case during residency since I'm prior service I'll get O3 pay > 4 years of service, I think 1 get $1.33 for every $1 of your base pay so I'll be making bank (plus no college loans either)

It's all about what you make of it. I spent 4 years in the Marines Infantry and I loved it. Visited lots of countries, met new and interesting people. Sometimes it sucked, sometimes it didn't you get out of it what you put in it. I even have some friends of mine who got out and then realized that the civilian world is a bunch of whinny cry babies and decided to go back into the marines even though when we were all getting read to be discharged 10 years ago they were like never again.

It's all about what you make of it. I spent 4 years in the Marines Infantry and I loved it. Visited lots of countries, met new and interesting people. Sometimes it sucked, sometimes it didn't you get out of it what you put in it. I even have some friends of mine who got out and then realized that the civilian world is a bunch of whinny cry babies and decided to go back into the marines even though when we were all getting read to be discharged 10 years ago they were like never again.

Very true. To each their own.

Almost all residencies now have the preliminary year integrated into the residency program (i.e. it's included in the length of the residency) so it may mean that an allopathic residency in a given specialty would be one less year than the osteopathic. IM in most cases has that year integrated so it's part of the four years.

Why again would we require one additional year more over our allopathic counterparts if all is considered equal. Well, we all know we are better but for the sake of argument.

Hi all, shameless plug for the notes service. The notes you receive will answer all of the main learning objectives of each lecture, and it will be this information that the tests will be based on.

Those who use the notes service will have a printout of the day's power point lectures in their locker when they arrive at school. A few days after the lecture students will get the typed notes from lecture, answering the learning objectives set for lecture.

Being a scribe only requires you to take notes for one 50 minute lecture, allows you receive the notes for free, keeps you focus on the material during lecture, and helps your classmates.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hi all, shameless plug for the notes service. The notes you receive will answer all of the main learning objectives of each lecture, and it will be this information that the tests will be based on.

That's sometimes, not always. Sometimes questions come from things not in the objectives. Best bet is to know every lecture

Hey you owe me a fence. My idiot ex-roomate (the douche) tried to fix it with white tape. Class job he did.

Whyyy would you have a one foot long fence in a random section of the front yard? Thats just asking for some drunk fool to come along and blam; no more fence.

IM is definitely 3 years, regardless. Where are you getting your info from...?

IM is 3 yrs for osteo and allopathic. the osteo internship is if you wish to prac in pennsylvania, florida and some other states. but it counts as your prelim intern yr for IM

anyone know of an affordable laundry/drycleaning service? i can do my own wash and dry and ironing but that takes time. so if theres an affordable option out there... why not take it! :)

You can review online and organize notes. Reading BRS right now will be helpful. Make sure you do some light reading online on topics you enjoy. Netters is a good start too. Micro ridiculously simple is fun to read

I'm looking for a place. Send me what you have. I'll be in Erie till Friday.

anyone know of an affordable laundry/drycleaning service? i can do my own wash and dry and ironing but that takes time. so if theres an affordable option out there... why not take it! :)

There's a laundry place on the corner of pacific and grandview down the street from LECOM that people in my class used.

Hi everyone,

I recently got called in off the waitlist and am looking for a place to live and a roommate. If any girls are still looking for someone to split rent with, PM or email me, thanks!

Whats up class of 2014? I'm coming Sunday July 17 from West Bloomfield, MI (suburb of Detroit). Anything going on before school starts? I know orientation is Sat July 24 and there's bowling Sun July 25. Anyone else from Michigan? looking forward to meeting some new friends

Whats up class of 2014? I'm coming Sunday July 17 from West Bloomfield, MI (suburb of Detroit). Anything going on before school starts? I know orientation is Sat July 24 and there's bowling Sun July 25. Anyone else from Michigan? looking forward to meeting some new friends
Join the Facebook group for the Class of 2014 - There's tons of people planning stuff to do all week (I know for sure there's a BBQ on Monday the 19th out at Presque Isle.)

I am actually from west bloomfield too! I am planning on moving down next Thursdsay.

Anyone know what time we have to be there for orientation next Saturday? Do we have to bring anything. Haven't really heard anything about it.

Anyone know what time we have to be there for orientation next Saturday? Do we have to bring anything. Haven't really heard anything about it.
8:00AM, dressed in professional attire. You should get an email about it with all the information.

Join the Facebook group for the Class of 2014 - There's tons of people planning stuff to do all week (I know for sure there's a BBQ on Monday the 19th out at Presque Isle.)
I am now going to be there on Tues July 20 instead of Sunday....and I joined the fb group

8:00AM, dressed in professional attire. You should get an email about it with all the information.

Have they sent out an email to anyone yet or are they going to send out the info next week. Hope I'm not off some mailing list or something...

Have they sent out an email to anyone yet or are they going to send out the info next week. Hope I'm not off some mailing list or something...
I got an email about it well over a month ago (Maybe two months even,) but I was accepted last August really early on. Were you a late acceptance off the waitlist? They might send out one last batch of emails this week. If not, I would call and check in with the admissions folks.

1. How is the first week (orientation week)?
2. Does the school have a note taking service or does any suggest I should buy a tape recorder?
3. Any live or lived in Laurel ridge apartments? I'm moving in this week. Is it quiet enough to study in? I'm heard it's mostly LECOM students that live there.
4. Is most studying done from lecture slides/notes or the books or half and half? maybe it depends on the subject and the teacher

1. How is the first week (orientation week)?
2. Does the school have a note taking service or does any suggest I should buy a tape recorder?
3. Any live or lived in Laurel ridge apartments? I'm moving in this week. Is it quiet enough to study in? I'm heard it's mostly LECOM students that live there.
4. Is most studying done from lecture slides/notes or the books or half and half? maybe it depends on the subject and the teacher

1) The first week has been getting progressively harder through the years. It used to be mostly orientation stuff with very little coursework, but based on suggestions from previous classes it has a lot more substance to it (so it's not 100% med school coursework but it's pretty close).

2) Note taking service is much easier, plus they will print out the powerpoints for you before every lecture.

3) You'll find that regardless of how quiet your home/apt is, you will need to go somewhere else to study. Some good places to study - LECOM (although you have to wear dress code during school hours and most people don't want to go back there after 8 hours), B&N/Borders (change of scenery), Tim Horton's (24 hours, tons of donuts), Wegman's (open most hours, now with beer !), and my personal favorite, Starbucks ! (plenty of caffeinated beverages).

4) Every professor tells you at the beginning of the course that everything you need to know is in the notes. There was maybe one professor that had us read, and that's it. You'll find out real quick which books you need to buy and for the most part I never used any of them.

Can anyone tell me if I need to have microsoft office on my laptop? The IT person at LECOM told me I'll need it. Anyone get by fine without it?

1) The first week has been getting progressively harder through the years. It used to be mostly orientation stuff with very little coursework, but based on suggestions from previous classes it has a lot more substance to it (so it's not 100% med school coursework but it's pretty close).

2) Note taking service is much easier, plus they will print out the powerpoints for you before every lecture.

3) You'll find that regardless of how quiet your home/apt is, you will need to go somewhere else to study. Some good places to study - LECOM (although you have to wear dress code during school hours and most people don't want to go back there after 8 hours), B&N/Borders (change of scenery), Tim Horton's (24 hours, tons of donuts), Wegman's (open most hours, now with beer !), and my personal favorite, Starbucks ! (plenty of caffeinated beverages).

4) Every professor tells you at the beginning of the course that everything you need to know is in the notes. There was maybe one professor that had us read, and that's it. You'll find out real quick which books you need to buy and for the most part I never used any of them.
I dislike your signature Pianoman