LECOM-Erie Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who has been accepted not received their matriculation packet yet?

I haven't received anything after the packet asking for all of the blood work and the financial aid packet. Should we be getting something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I will be joining all of you in the fall. Congratulations to everyone who will be joining the class of 2012 this fall. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

I was wondering if any Vegetarian was looking for a roommate. If interested, please PM me.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I'm doing ISP, so my primary residence will be in Pittsburgh. So bonus to you... I will only be there when necesscary!

Congratulations on your acceptance. First year has been a tiring but fun ride. I am in ISP, and I just wanted to give you the heads up that you are on campus a lot more than what they let on. I figured I would be at school maybe 2 days at the most, but there have been modules where 4 days was very common. Not trying to complain because I do like ISP, but many of the days are for 1 hour here or there with a big break, then another hour in the afternoon. It just gets aggravating when they break up the day so much. It feels like everything is set up for the LDPers, and ISP kind of gets the leftover schedule and you have to deal the best you can. It still beats being in class, though. Just wanted to throw this out there so you won't be shocked when it feels like you're always at school. Even though PBL is on campus quite a bit for their group meetings, I think this pathway is much more of an independent study than independent study. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in ISP, and I just wanted to give you the heads up that you are on campus a lot more than what they let on. I figured I would be at school maybe 2 days at the most, but there have been modules where 4 days was very common.

Thanks for the info. I have spoken with several folks who are MS III and IV right now who also did ISP. Most said it gets better in the second year but also said it varied depending on the module. Most stated that EKG interpretation and Neurology were the ones they had to be on campus the most for. How about you?

Even having 3 or 4 days a week in Pittsburgh is better than nothing! I've worked full time as a paramedic for 10 years, so I am hoping that my clinical experience will come in handy and cut down the amount of class that I have to attend. I can't handle the long lectures, I just do not have that long of an attention span!

I know we have to be there every Wednesday for OMM, what other days or does it vary? Is it always in the morning, or are some hours just in the afternooon? Anyway, any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks again!!:hardy:

Well, I hope those guys are right about spending less time on campus second year. OMM lecture is every wednesday morning, except when we were learning HVLA, they canceled about 3 straight weeks of lecture. OMM lab is on thursday afternoons. Every exam I can think of has been on a monday. Also, once history and physical started we've had to go to an off site medical plaza on mondays to practice those skills and then attend H&P lecture on wednesday afternoons. Also, for almost every module, there have been 1-2 "mandatory" meetings, which are scheduled at the professors choosing. There are also smaller classes, like health care management, where attedance is mandatory, but they don't last for that long.

Your clinical experience will definitely help in some regards, but a couple of my friends are paramedics, and they seem to study just as much as everyone else. I am a PT and have taken many of the courses, but unless you have an advanced degree in some of these subjects, there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage for the basic sciences even with a clinical background. It is helpful, however, to be studying a disease and remembering back to a patient who had that condition and building off your knowledge base instead of being exposed to something for the first time. Nonetheless, no matter what your experience, all those things I mentioned earlier are required. Some of my classmates have been pretty lax about attendance to some of them, and there have been threats that you could be placed in lecture for good if there are any more absences.

Sorry, not trying to bad mouth LECOM at all or take anything away from your experiences . . . this has just been the reality of this first year. My brain is defiitely full, and I am wondering how I am going to be able to remember everything for step I next year. Cross that bridge when it comes.

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot about this mandatory attendance thing, which to me is absolutely absurd, but what can you do... I mean if your grades are good, then who cares if you come to class? I did all of my undergrad work with a full time job, so I am no stranger to missing class (and I still graduated with a 3.64)!

My BS is in Chemistry, so hopefully that will help. How often were the exams? They told us the ISP was not as often as the LD pathway during the interview. Is every week 4 days on campus or about what percent of the weeks are 4 days?

I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a decent place to live in Erie, as everyone seems to have nothing but a wait list to offer. So I am very curious to see just exactly how much time I have to spend there. They told me that I had to maintain "a residence" in Erie due to the inclement weather.

Well thanks again for taking the time to give me some info! I appreciate your honesty. I want people to tell me how they really feel, not blow the proverbial sunshine up my....

God Bless

Hey Everyone! I recently rented a townhouse in the Carrolwood developement..... 2 mins away from LECOM... and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on moving in there in the fall.

For those that are starting this fall, when are you planning on moving in? Orientation starts July 27th so will you rent an apartment for the entire month of July or live in a hotel or something for those 4-5 days? Thanks!

Hey Everyone! I recently rented a townhouse in the Carrolwood developement..... 2 mins away from LECOM... and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on moving in there in the fall.

Hey,

I live there now (was a postbac). I know of at least one other who will be in our class who lives there too. It's quiet and they do a pretty good job w/ snow removal in the winter.

Hey everyone! I interviewed on 3/6 and still haven't heard anything... I tried calling and e-mailing 3-4 times... nothing...

any ideas?

For those that are starting this fall, when are you planning on moving in? Orientation starts July 27th so will you rent an apartment for the entire month of July or live in a hotel or something for those 4-5 days? Thanks!

I'm moving two weeks before school starts :D because I want to get used to my new surroundings, and because I can't wait to quit my job!

I'm moving two weeks before school starts :D because I want to get used to my new surroundings, and because I can't wait to quit my job!

Ha i'm sick of BOTH my jobs...so i really can't wait to move up either. Also you gotta figure where are you gonna put all ur stuff living in a hotel for 4-5 days...cuz we pretty much start classes and what not right after orientation.

I'll prolly take me a good week to get all my furniture moved in such. Still need to find a place though

I am going the end of June to be able to close on our house and make a few upgrades. I also want to be accustomed to the area before we dive into school. Staying at a hotel might be a little difficult unless you have your stuff shipped later on or can store it in a Uhaul of some type. Only a few more months, anyone else getting a little nervous? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha i'm sick of BOTH my jobs...so i really can't wait to move up either. Also you gotta figure where are you gonna put all ur stuff living in a hotel for 4-5 days...cuz we pretty much start classes and what not right after orientation.

I'll prolly take me a good week to get all my furniture moved in such. Still need to find a place though

You actually pretty much start classes DURING orientation. And based on the feedback meeting we had the other day, our feedback has made them change it so you have more classes than we did, so keep that in mind with your decisions.

I came up last year in the beginning of July, it was nice, I met up with some SNDers and relaxed and got to really move myself in so that when it started I was ready.

You actually pretty much start classes DURING orientation. And based on the feedback meeting we had the other day, our feedback has made them change it so you have more classes than we did, so keep that in mind with your decisions.

I came up last year in the beginning of July, it was nice, I met up with some SNDers and relaxed and got to really move myself in so that when it started I was ready.
What do you mean we'll have more classes than you did? I'm slightly confused by that statement.

What do you mean we'll have more classes than you did? I'm slightly confused by that statement.

I would assume she means that instead of having 5 scheduled classes the first week, you would have 10. Those numbers are purely for example, btw.

Right. Orientation is so boring that when WE had ours last year, the 2010 class on their evaluations stated maybe ease us into classes during orientation. So we would have 1 or 2 classes a day to break up orientation, which was nice. So apparently when we (2011) evaluated orientation, some people said put in more classes in during orientation. So, maybe you will have 3 classes some days or something like that.

This is much tougher than i was expecting. I called maleno and palermo real estate, left messages and waited a week. No response. I finally got through to someone at Maleno and they informed me that none of their buildings accept dogs. That stinks. Anyway, after a week of calling every day, i got through to someone at palermo who was going to show me an apartment at Brookwood. Does anyway know anything about this building? would anyone suggest anything else?
Thanks

This is much tougher than i was expecting. I called maleno and palermo real estate, left messages and waited a week. No response. I finally got through to someone at Maleno and they informed me that none of their buildings accept dogs. That stinks. Anyway, after a week of calling every day, i got through to someone at palermo who was going to show me an apartment at Brookwood. Does anyway know anything about this building? would anyone suggest anything else?
Thanks

My wife and I have two dogs and ran into the same predicament last year. We eventually ended up over at Landmarksquare apartments. I have been very happy with them except for the parking situation. We live next to the main street, and the even/odd parking days during the winter, and the monday/wednesday parking during the rest of the year have dinged us quite a few times. Other than that, it is close to campus and within walking distance to a nice park with jogging trails, tennis courts and the bayfront.

Thanks

How big is your dog? If its over 45 pounds it will be really hard to find a place. Brookwood sucks, never live there. I have written a post about it somewhere if you look up my post history. I would go so far as to say don't live anywhere under Palermo realty, they are realllly shady. I drove from Baltimore last year with my parents to see Carrollwood (their new development)...which is a 6 hour drive. When I got there, the woman didn't even show up, didn't answer her cell phone, and Carrollwood was filled. They have also screwed over my friend who lives in Brookwood.

Anyways, if you have to live farther away due to the dog situation (Brookwood is about 15 mins away from school), live in Belle Village. They are right next to Brookwood, and they are really nice. I lived there until I got a house closer to school. It is the same rent, and much nicer townhouses, with a much better realty company.

The dog is only @ 15 pounds, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a place. The people at Palermo are atrocious. I left them message after message, and no one returned my calls. Does the size of my dog afford me any better options that you know of?
I really was looking for a place closer to the school

Hi Everyone!

I just found out that I was accepted to LECOM last week so I am starting my housing search very late.

I'm a 27 yr old female. I don't smoke and I'm not a big partier or anthing like that. I'm pretty quiet and I keep things fairly clean and neat. I like to spend my free time outdoors-cycling, hiking, camping etc. or at the gym. I'm moving from Arizona so I don't know the Erie area very well but I would like to live as close to LECOM as possible. Also I have a cat. I would prefer to live with another girl, but I'm open to rooming with guys. Message me if you're interested.

Thanks and can't wait to meet you all in July! :D

I was wondering if anyone knew someone in Royal Villa that would allow me to check out their 2 bedroom this saturday. I tried to get a tour but the owners will not be in town and thus can't take me through. Thanks

The normal dress code is much more relaxed for girls. You can wear dress pants, skirts, or dresses and really any kind of top that isn't too casual. People wear button down shirts, polo shirts, or even just a t-shirt sometimes (not a graphic one but just a plain one). Just stuff that looks nice. And you have to wear pantyhose with open toed shoes. But I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble as long as they are wearing close toed shoes.

Are you required to wear pantyhose with all skirts/dresses or only open toe shoes?

When I was reading the student handbook I thought I remembered it saying no open toe shoes, but maybe they were just refering to sandal-type shoes?

Arizona is too hot for panty hose so I never wear it. :D

Thanks.

Hey guys! I'm looking into housing for this coming year, and I'm between Laurel Ridge/Springs, Lakeview, and Scenery Hills. Any advice or input about them? Thanks for the help!

Has anybody heard anything about the waitlist for LECOM-E?

I called a few weeks ago and Amy never called back. I believe today is the last day for people to accept seats at MD schools so I imagine seats will open up tomorrow. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted per year at LECOM-E? I heard it was around 60 but not sure.

when does the semester start? what date for you guys?

July 26th. But the real fun starts on the 28th I guess.

Are you required to wear pantyhose with all skirts/dresses or only open toe shoes?

When I was reading the student handbook I thought I remembered it saying no open toe shoes, but maybe they were just refering to sandal-type shoes?

Thanks.

Just with open-toed shoes.

just wondering, but is anyone else gonna be living in laurel springs? :)

just wondering, but is anyone else gonna be living in laurel springs? :)
Oh I hate you :p

Never got off that waiting list for laural springs :\

I lived in Scenery Hills in a 2 bedroom 2 bath last year and I would definately recommend it! Many LECOM students live at both Scenery Hills ($715/mo) and Lakeview (~$725). Both are very affordable if you have a room mate. They are both clean, relatively new, and well maintained. Both are nearly identical except that Lakeview has about 8times more apartments than Scenery Hills. Never had any complaints with management. They are also both very close to school, which is important because it does snow a good bit in the winter. I survived last winter w/o AWD or snow tires mainly because the driveway was usually pretty well plowed by Maleno realty (and my room mate had 4WD when it really snowed!). The bedrooms are a good size with vaulted ceilings and surrounding area is very safe.

Good Luck Next Year!

thanks for the info! i'm really excited for lecom...just afraid the snow might kill me lol

Oh I hate you :p

Never got off that waiting list for laural springs :\

haha i'm sorry. No hating til the year actually starts! (and hopefully not then either lol)

Speaking of laurel springs, I'm looking for a female roommate bc I got a 2 bedroom apt. If anyone is interested, let me know :)

I called a few weeks ago and Amy never called back. I believe today is the last day for people to accept seats at MD schools so I imagine seats will open up tomorrow. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted per year at LECOM-E? I heard it was around 60 but not sure.

I have called Amy 3 times in the past 2 weeks and left messages for her, but she still won't respond. I'm on the waitlist, but the letter I got said that we could be notified of acceptance through Aug. 1. Doesn't this screw us over if classes start during orientation in late July?

Also, scdocusc- who did you hear the 60 person waitlist figure from? Just wondering if we are ranked in any certain way?

hey guys,
anyone know the difference between the "waitlist" and the "alternate list"

I was just wondering what the dress code was at LECOM... with skirts and dresses... and do we have to wear panty hose?

To be honest, from experience, it seems as if women have plenty more freedom in the dress code than men. Guys have to wear a shirt, tie, slacks, and dress shoes. Women can pretty much wear whatever they want with the exception of sneakers and jeans.

I honestly found that info be raking though past year's wait list forums. I'm not positive on that figure. I also asked amy months ago about how many were on the wait list and she gave me a figure similar. I believe she's probably ignoring us.

hey guys,
anyone know the difference between the "waitlist" and the "alternate list"

I don't think there is a difference. LECOM won't tell you what number you are on the list, so don't bother asking them. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is wait and hope for the best. There's still time.

Thanks.

You might want to start sending some time in some walk in freezers. Erie is going to be a different world for you!;)

Hey I was wondering if anyone was planning on living in Landmark Square apartments next year. It seems pretty decent and inexpensive. I'm trying to find a reasonable one-bedroom.

Hey I was wondering if anyone was planning on living in Landmark Square apartments next year. It seems pretty decent and inexpensive. I'm trying to find a reasonable one-bedroom.
I'm planning on living there is a two bedroom... I was there this past weekend and it looks really nice.

Hey everyone. I notice LECOM has a behavioral sciences requirement. I've taken sociology and several communication classes but I don't think communications is going to cut it. My university requires me to take advanced social science electives but I don't think these will make the requirement either. Whats your thoughts? I did email LECOM just now and am waiting for a reply.

I'm planning on living there is a two bedroom... I was there this past weekend and it looks really nice.

Thanks! I might get an apartment without making the trip up there so i appreciate that. I look forward to possibly being neighbors!

I am also looking at getting in Landmark Square apartments. I'm not used to snow since I'm from Texas, and I don't know if it would be better to find a place that is closer to the school than Landmark Square apartments.

I would also have to get a two bedroom since they have such few one bedroom places.

Hey everyone. I notice LECOM has a behavioral sciences requirement. I've taken sociology and several communication classes but I don't think communications is going to cut it. My university requires me to take advanced social science electives but I don't think these will make the requirement either. Whats your thoughts? I did email LECOM just now and am waiting for a reply.

I was in a similar situation and as long as the University you attend classifies the class as a Social and Behavioral science, you should be fine, it shouldn't matter that it is advanced. I had to ask my University to send a letter that classified a Community Health class I took as Soc and Behav science. But they accepted the letter without any problems.

I am also looking at getting in Landmark Square apartments. I'm not used to snow since I'm from Texas, and I don't know if it would be better to find a place that is closer to the school than Landmark Square apartments.

I would also have to get a two bedroom since they have such few one bedroom places.

Yeah I actually just called and they have no one-bedrooms. I would rather not pay for an extra room that I don't need. Granada Apartments is only 4 minutes away (according to googlemaps) and they have plenty of one-bedrooms available for a pretty reasonable price. Anyone know anything about this complex. I would rather not take the trip up...

i would strongly not advice granada, :( i lived there at the beginning of this past year and i must say it was soo bad i moved out half way thru in the middle of the year. Had to break my lease and stuff :( I would recomend actually taking a trip around and perhaps actually spending a few bucks for a better apartment. Granada is located in a not so great side of erie, let's just say every day there was a cop infront of the apartments and some disturbance, same goes for Mill Glenn. I would look something w/pastore brother or Malleno (lakeview, blah, blah)...
good luck