LECOM-Erie Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know the name of the new apartments across from the school? are they done or will they be done by july? are there many houses by the school that are for rent? thanks!

does anyone know the name of the new apartments across from the school? are they done or will they be done by july? are there many houses by the school that are for rent? thanks!

The new apartments are owned by Pastore Builders http://www.pastorebuilders.com/

They are supposed to be done by June, and if you go to the website, I was told the layout was to be similar to the Laurel Ridge apartment complex, and that a 1BR will be about $550/month + electricity / phone / cable / internet (they use Time Warner)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to ask the same question as I posed at the other thread. Has anybody gotten off the wait list yet? What are the chances of getting off the list? Does anybody know the trends from previous years? Thanks a bunch!

I am going to ask the same question as I posed at the other thread. Has anybody gotten off the wait list yet? What are the chances of getting off the list? Does anybody know the trends from previous years? Thanks a bunch!

Nothing yet. Booo. If I don't hear by the end of the month I think I'm just going to reapply all around for 2013. I applied too late in the game in the first place... Another year working 9-5, ugh....:sleep:

The new apartments are owned by Pastore Builders http://www.pastorebuilders.com/

They are supposed to be done by June, and if you go to the website, I was told the layout was to be similar to the Laurel Ridge apartment complex, and that a 1BR will be about $550/month + electricity / phone / cable / internet (they use Time Warner)
Do you know what the apartment's will be called? the ones across the street I mean. Thanks

Do you know what the apartment's will be called? the ones across the street I mean. Thanks

This is what the people at Pastore told me:

"Laurel Springs, available June '08... $550-570/month + electric only (average $60-80/month)...security deposit = 1 month's rent"

Leases are for 12 months, and they also said there are extension policies for renewing your lease once per year. They told me that there were only about 15-20 people on the list for Laurel Springs as of March 14th.

Their office # is 814-838-9640 if you want to contact them about getting on the list.

Good luck :)

Any truth in the rumors that Laurel Springs will have a tunnel connecting to LECOM?

Any truth in the rumors that Laurel Springs will have a tunnel connecting to LECOM?
I doubt it, this isn't SUNY buffalo where they have tunnels connecting all the buildings. Where did you hear this?

If you were told that letters were going out this Friday, it will be another week. I called admissions to discuss a situation and the lady told me that they are slow. She said letters won't be going out until next week. So don't start checking your mail just yet.

If you were told that letters were going out this Friday, it will be another week. I called admissions to discuss a situation and the lady told me that they are slow. She said letters won't be going out until next week. So don't start checking your mail just yet.

awww mannnnnnnnnnnn!! :( i hate waiting..

Does that mean no letters at all are going out Friday?? Or that they are just a week behind on everyone?

This waiting game sucks :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Amy told me the person who signs the letters is out of town. I would think that no letters are going out this week. I could be wrong though.

You know, I think I have heard everything from admissions. Although I think that I may be little persistent in finding out information, I do not believe it deserves the run-around?

Does anyone know what they are and are not allowed to disclose when offering information to applicants?

Amy told me the person who signs the letters is out of town. I would think that no letters are going out this week. I could be wrong though.

So they made decisions but just can't mail them out yet because they need a signature? Aren't the signatures usually just printed though? Or is it diff. for LECOM?

So they made decisions but just can't mail them out yet because they need a signature? Aren't the signatures usually just printed though? Or is it diff. for LECOM?
The signatures on my letters were real, no generic computerized signatures on these letters.

My letter was actually signed by the President and the head of admissions

I don't know the name of the apartments across from the school but, we just put our deposit down on a place that is about a mile away. It's a new contruction and we are really excited about it. The builders we really like. They do a lot of stuff in Erie and close to LECOM. website: malenodevelopment.com Hope this helps, PM me if you have additional questions about rentals.

When is the first day of school for upcoming students this fall?

I don't know the name of the apartments across from the school but, we just put our deposit down on a place that is about a mile away. It's a new contruction and we are really excited about it. The builders we really like. They do a lot of stuff in Erie and close to LECOM. website: malenodevelopment.com Hope this helps, PM me if you have additional questions about rentals.

The apartments are called Laurel Springs. I called and asked them about pricing and everything. They will be approximately 25-50 more than laurel ridge which I believe was 540 for one and like 640 or something for 2. Everything is Electric and cost will be approx. 60-80. It's two floors, have laundry on both floors which is card operated. Will be done in June and they have a waitlist going. I called and put my name down, and they offered to me on the list of Laurel Ridge as well. Hope this helps...

Does anyone know when orientation is? When is everyone planning on moving up? is there some sort of induction ceremony even though the white coat ceremony isn't until January??

What do you guys think about the apartment prices. I'm thinking of getting a 2 br for 620. Isn't that expensive? I saw a small 1 br for 555 so i thought that the 2 br is worth the extra bucks. At the same time, i still think it is expensive. I'll be taking living loans which iassume will be about 1650 a month. So that leaves me with about 950 a month after rent and electric bill. That is tough to cover all expenses like food, gas, insurance, cell, and other misc expenses. I mean it will probably cover it, but if an emergency happens (ex. car breaks down), then it'll be tough to get by.
For an area like Erie, i think rent is expensive.
To add to this, i will not be getting a roommate.

Any thoughts about that and budget handeling in general?

What do you guys think about the apartment prices. I'm thinking of getting a 2 br for 620. Isn't that expensive? I saw a small 1 br for 555 so i thought that the 2 br is worth the extra bucks. At the same time, i still think it is expensive. I'll be taking living loans which iassume will be about 1650 a month. So that leaves me with about 950 a month after rent and electric bill. That is tough to cover all expenses like food, gas, insurance, cell, and other misc expenses. I mean it will probably cover it, but if an emergency happens (ex. car breaks down), then it'll be tough to get by.
For an area like Erie, i think rent is expensive.
To add to this, i will not be getting a roommate.

Any thoughts about that and budget handeling in general?

I don't know about most people, but $620 for a two bedroom apartment is ridiculously low. Regarding other expenses, while your cell phone bill may not change, other expenses will definitely change. For example, gas will not be as big as an impact because you travels may be shorter and frequency of travel may be less. Best advice, live beneath your means, and start making community relationships as quickly as possible.

Regarding emergency preparedness, I totally agree that because most students will be making nothing and relying mostly if not completely on loans, there is a lot of stress for the unforeseen emergency. I am sure there many anecdotal stories that current students are sharing and their resolutions. I am sure if you make good friends, keep good relations with administrative staff, your major problems can be dealt with appropriately.

The apartments are called Laurel Springs. I called and asked them about pricing and everything. They will be approximately 25-50 more than laurel ridge which I believe was 540 for one and like 640 or something for 2. Everything is Electric and cost will be approx. 60-80. It's two floors, have laundry on both floors which is card operated. Will be done in June and they have a waitlist going. I called and put my name down, and they offered to me on the list of Laurel Ridge as well. Hope this helps...

Does anyone know when orientation is? When is everyone planning on moving up? is there some sort of induction ceremony even though the white coat ceremony isn't until January??[/quote]

I believe orientation is the last week in January, around the 28th or so. We are planning on moving the last week in June but we bought a house and are planning on doing some minor detail work before we move in. One of the other students recommended arriving at least 2 weeks in advance to give yourself some time to move your stuff and adjust to the area. I am not sure if there is an induction ceremony, I am sure there is something.

i see what you're saying. I guess it depends were you lived before. I am in Cleveland, which i assumed would cost more than Erie, but am currenttl paying 500 for a one large br. That also includes water, sewer, and heat. It's also in a very good area. All i pay extra is electric which averages about 25 a month. So a jump from 525 to about 700 seems much.

If were living in a more expensive area/ state, i would have thought it were reasonable or even cheap.

I am extremely interested in LECOM. Does anyone know the most recent interview questions that were asked? and what are the actual average stats for LECOM-Erie?

I am extremely interested in LECOM. Does anyone know the most recent interview questions that were asked? and what are the actual average stats for LECOM-Erie?
Pease PM me!

they're all the same, check the interview feedback section. Standard 9 questions everyone is asked. they may deviate a bit from this, but for the most part they stick to it. It's pretty relaxed, they just want to get to know you. ..

Yeah, i believe the first or second LECOM-Erie discussion page has the standard nine questions. Also, when I interviewed they asked us to read a two page passage on a medically related issue and then asked for us to summarize it. When I mean summarize, they were very open with how you approached it. Remember a few statistics, make sure you voice the main points and possibly any statistically significant deviations. I summarized with statistics and main points and then gave a one sentence summary which I believed they liked. With the passage, don't memorize (or if you are one those that can, then memorize) but they give only a limited time ( ~5-10 minutes). I believe that they are looking that you quickly gather the major points with some detail and present the information in a relatively professional fashion.

One other question they asked that wasn't included in the standard nine is if I wanted to briefly add or explain anything in regards to the application. If you have anything, transcripts, MCAT scores, nobel prizes that weren't included in the original application, then voice them. Anything new will only add to there impression, especially short-term impression which could influence how they evaluate you. Also, if you have any gaps, poor grades, etc. that are in your application, be prudent but voice your concern and how you have managed/changed.

Any more questions?

I noticed that some people were put on the "Alternate List" and some people were put on the "Wait List." Is there a distinction between the two, because I am Wait Listed and was not put on the Alternate List?

Does anyone know the first day of instruction for LECOM-Erie?? Please let me know if you do :)

i see what you're saying. I guess it depends were you lived before. I am in Cleveland, which i assumed would cost more than Erie, but am currenttl paying 500 for a one large br. That also includes water, sewer, and heat. It's also in a very good area. All i pay extra is electric which averages about 25 a month. So a jump from 525 to about 700 seems much.

If were living in a more expensive area/ state, i would have thought it were reasonable or even cheap.

a) it's another bedroom, of course it's going to be more than your 1 bedroom
b) 555 for a one bedroom is high for erie. i don't know anyone paying that for their current place. i paid 425 including all utilities for a big 1 bedroom less than a mile away for the first semester...then moved into a huge 2 bedroom with a guy i met (they started renovations on my first place) and only pay 345 which includes everything but electric and internet.

Did anyone come off of the wait-list yet???

So I was looking at the Laurel Ridge apartments online and I was wondering if the units have a washer/dryer inside or in the building. It doesn't seem to say one or the other. Anyone know?

So I was looking at the Laurel Ridge apartments online and I was wondering if the units have a washer/dryer inside or in the building. It doesn't seem to say one or the other. Anyone know?

I think washer/dryers are great selling point for an apartment complex and I believe they would advertise it. If they don't, it is highly likely that they do not have the amenity.

Does anyone know the first day of instruction for LECOM-Erie?? Please let me know if you do :)

July 26. I emailed them a little while back and they actually got back to me with that date.

July 26. I emailed them a little while back and they actually got back to me with that date.

Saturday seems like a strange day to start orientation week. Anyone know if this is the day they started it on last year? Seems a bit weird to me.

when i rented from them last semester there was laundry in the building (shared w/ 12 apts) but not in each unit. don't know if that's what they're doing but i'm pretty sure that's how it is in their other buildings

Saturday seems like a strange day to start orientation week. Anyone know if this is the day they started it on last year? Seems a bit weird to me.

Yes, I believe last year's orientation started on a Saturday as well.

The weekend days really aren't an orientation. It is more of an open house for you and your family on Saturday. They also do a bowling tournament with pizza and a bus tour of Erie on Sunday. The real fun starts that Monday.

I thought our class this year was in the 290s (starting out at least!)

God I hope not! There is no room for that many students here. It was a pain this year because the 1st years overflow took up half the PBL rooms, so us 2nd year PBL students had no where to meet. If they add another 20 more there goes the other half.

Has anyone from the March 28th interview heard anything from admissions Yet?

I interviewed March 14th-- still haven't heard. Don't let anxiety get the best of you :(

Okay, so after a frustrating search for apartments i settled on winchester.
Anyone lived there before?

Okay, so after a frustrating search for apartments i settled on winchester.
Anyone lived there before?

i lived there last semester, if you have any questions for me post them here or send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to answer any, and am actually considering moving back there for next year.

Last edited:

I thought it weird to start on a Sat. too, but maybe there is some type of social activity to introduce the newbies. Did anyone else try finding out the start date? I want to make sure someone didn't give me the wrong date.

hey everyone, I just got a letter today that says the class is (still) full. But I was waitlisted, though I'm still hopeful, because it seems like there should be a good chance of getting in since it's still sort-of early.

Anyone else get news??

hey everyone, I just got a letter today that says the class is (still) full. But I was waitlisted, though I'm still hopeful, because it seems like there should be a good chance of getting in since it's still sort-of early.

Anyone else get news??

It's still very early! April 15th is right around the corner though.

Haven't got a letter yet but haven't checked my mail today.

I was waitlisted as well. Hey it's not a rejection so I'm happy with that!

Interviewed March 27 --> waitlisted too (class size has been achieved).

Anyone know if LECOM will tell you where you stand on the waitlist?
Also, bcl2life mentioned the date April 15?