-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
LECOM - Erie Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by swamprat
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LDP Erie, it was the second choice I listed. PBL Erie was the first.
Did you send update letters, etc. after you were waitlisted?
Hi everyone,
Need some advice. I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to apply to LECOM next cycle.
I recently applied to LECOM with the following stats
GPA between 3.8-3.9
MCAT of 28 (low verbal of 7)
Lots of ecs research, volunteering, many clinical experiences
Submitted my secondary around October-Novemberish interviewed a few months after then waitlisted and sent update letters. Accepted to many other DO schools but really wanted LECOM so opted against them for personal reasons.
Is it worth it for me to reapply? Trying to make sense of it
Need some advice. I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to apply to LECOM next cycle.
I recently applied to LECOM with the following stats
GPA between 3.8-3.9
MCAT of 28 (low verbal of 7)
Lots of ecs research, volunteering, many clinical experiences
Submitted my secondary around October-Novemberish interviewed a few months after then waitlisted and sent update letters. Accepted to many other DO schools but really wanted LECOM so opted against them for personal reasons.
Is it worth it for me to reapply? Trying to make sense of it
Last edited:
Based on your other stats and personal experience, I'd say your verbal score is definitely what got you waitlisted and, ultimately, didn't get you accepted. I got into LECOM with a 25O MCAT and 3.2 cGPA, but I had a 10 on the verbal section. My guess would be they'll want to see some kind of improvement if you give it a second try. Maybe try and retake the MCAT to boost your verbal score and then give it another shot?Is it worth it for me to reapply? Trying to make sense of it
How long after submitting the secondary where u guys granted an interview??
do you have to give in the letter of recommendation after getting accepted?
do you have to give in the letter of recommendation after getting accepted?
Hi everyone,
Need some advice. I am trying to determine if it is worth it for me to apply to LECOM next cycle.
I recently applied to LECOM with the following stats
GPA between 3.8-3.9
MCAT of 28 (low verbal of 7)
Lots of ecs research, volunteering, many clinical experiences
Submitted my secondary around October-Novemberish interviewed a few months after then waitlisted and sent update letters. Accepted to many other DO schools but really wanted LECOM so opted against them for personal reasons.
Is it worth it for me to reapply? Trying to make sense of it
You got waitlisted with that stats?

Seriously. This is ******ed!You got waitlisted with that stats?![]()
And...oops..I'm in the wrong thread..I thought it was 2010-2011 thread..haah
Seriously. This is ******ed!
And...oops..I'm in the wrong thread..I thought it was 2010-2011 thread..haah
me too. i didn't even notice until you mentioned 😳
Also note the secondary wasn't submitted until October/November. LECOM seems to fill their classes pretty early, so that late in the game with that bad of a verbal is what led to the waitlist, and then it seemed like not very many of those that were accepted gave up their spots or dropped out to make room for those that were waitlisted. Apply early! LECOM starts interviewing in July usually, which is crazy.You got waitlisted with that stats?![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!!
wrong thread, lol 😛
Where is the right thread?
Accepted!!!!!!!!!
Nice, congrats... Welcome to the LECOM club
Don't plan on spending much time in Erie your last 2 years. LECOM has a very poor relationship with the 2 big hospitals in Erie, Saint Vincent and Hamot. Student are not currently alowed to do rotations at these two hospitals.
Why is that?
Don't plan on spending much time in Erie your last 2 years. LECOM has a very poor relationship with the 2 big hospitals in Erie, Saint Vincent and Hamot. Student are not currently alowed to do rotations at these two hospitals.
I'm not sure where you heard this from. There was a rumor going around, but I am a second year and we just picked our rotations two days ago. St. Vincent and Hamot are still options, they are just not mandatory like Millcreek.
IMHO, I think it's a good thing that St. Vincent's is not a mandatory. The rumors about us not doing rotations there started because they were not happy that LECOM was not paying them to take us. Personally, I think that it is a good thing for us to rotate at sites that are not being paid -- it shows that the site, as a whole, wants to teach rather than being in a rotation agreement for the money. Plus, it's why LECOM is the second cheapest private school in the country 👍. The average cost of having a student is $1000/mo. If you multiply this by thirteen rotations per year times all the students we have, we certainly would be paying a lot more in tuition.
Hope this clears things up. 🙂
I'm not sure where you heard this from. There was a rumor going around, but I am a second year and we just picked our rotations two days ago. St. Vincent and Hamot are still options, they are just not mandatory like Millcreek.
IMHO, I think it's a good thing that St. Vincent's is not a mandatory. The rumors about us not doing rotations there started because they were not happy that LECOM was not paying them to take us. Personally, I think that it is a good thing for us to rotate at sites that are not being paid -- it shows that the site, as a whole, wants to teach rather than being in a rotation agreement for the money. Plus, it's why LECOM is the second cheapest private school in the country 👍. The average cost of having a student is $1000/mo. If you multiply this by thirteen rotations per year times all the students we have, we certainly would be paying a lot more in tuition.
Hope this clears things up. 🙂
As a OMS III I'll tell you this one you still pay tuition 3rd and 4th years and if LECOM isn't paying for hospitals to take us on and the hospital has a chance of taking on a student from a place that pays them the hospital sometimes will drop LECOM students.
It isn't really about the hospital making a profit with 12 rotation sites per year at most LECOM can pay these sites 1K per student per month but then they still have to cover the salary the clinED dept needs. It's more about covering the costs that hospital has to use to help teach you. Gloves, gowns, masks, IV's, etc cost money and every time I scrub in the OR I probably cost the hospital a few hundred bucks just on gowns, gloves, sutures, etc.
Its nice to think that hospitals are greedy for money but you have to put this in perspective of a cost to benefit analysis for the location that the student is rotating at.
That being said think about it this way if the school charges us tuition for 3rd and 4th year and they don't pay hospitals for our rotation then al that money (minus clinED expenses) goes into their coffers as profit.
The school makes enough money take 250 students x 27K tuition x 4 classes per year (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) and thats how much money they take in for tuition per year just for med students. That doesn't Include post bac or pharmacy students either.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 226K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K