LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? My friend got a secondary to NYCOM last year but didn't get an interview. Did they just change that?

"Should one send letters of recommendation to NYCOM now, or do they want them when they offer you the interview invite, since they really don't send you a secondary until you're invited." -droogdoc from last years NYCOM thread

I also read something similar on another thread that I can't find now, but if your friend received a secondary pre-interview I'm definitely wrong on this one, sorry about that.
 
Really? My friend got a secondary to NYCOM last year but didn't get an interview. Did they just change that?

NYCOM changed their secondary policy half way through the app cycle this year, sending secondaries to all applicants, and I'm sure they'll probably do so again this year. They probably realized that they were missing out on a lot of $$. It was weird and shady that they changed the policy in the middle of the app cycle though. It caused a lot of confusion.
 
I don't recall getting a phone call at all. I just replied to the email they sent me.

Sorry you are right. I didn't realize which LECOM thread i was in. Im doing this on my iphone :| LECOM-E is an email invite and LECOM-B is a phone invite.
 
Goodluck tomorrow! Don't forget to smile! And if you really can't sleep, let your feet get cold outside the blankets! Works like a charm!
 
i ve been under review since 6/28.. anyone whos rcvd an interview.. can u pls post how long ur app was under review? thanks a lot!!!
 
After interview... Just got finished, waiting for a flight.
So here are some notes and my thoughts.
There were about 40 people interviewing today . We split up into 5 groups and did group interviews with 2 interviewers each. They asked us each one question then they gave us some topics to discuss but this might have varied between the groups. The school is awesome, the area is nice. The recruitment director said we should know in about 2 weeks.

Did anyone recognize me? I was the guy in the suit😎.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After interview... Just got finished, waiting for a flight.
So here are some notes and my thoughts.
There were about 40 people interviewing today . We split up into 5 groups and did group interviews with 2 interviewers each. They asked us each one question then they gave us some topics to discuss but this might have varied between the groups. The school is awesome, the area is nice. The recruitment director said we should know in about 2 weeks.

Did anyone recognize me? I was the guy in the suit😎.

wait...no individual interviews?
 
wait...no individual interviews?
Not this time. I think they sort of switch to individual interviews later on in the admission cycle. There were 40 people here though... It would have taken quite some time to do everyone.
 
Not this time. I think they sort of switch to individual interviews later on in the admission cycle. There were 40 people here though... It would have taken quite some time to do everyone.

Nice! I wish I was in this early group. Seems less stressful than a one on one. My status says I'm invited for an interview but no email for a date yet. I'm almost done gathering LOR's so that's probably why I'm delayed.

Good luck 👍. If you don't mind, can you PM me the questions that you were asked?
 
Nice! I wish I was in this early group. Seems less stressful than a one on one. My status says I'm invited for an interview but no email for a date yet. I'm almost done gathering LOR's so that's probably why I'm delayed.

Good luck 👍. If you don't mind, can you PM me the questions that you were asked?
OH uh.. Geeze I don't really remember. Lets see, here is a highly paraphrased and inaccurate list.
Name a professor that you had trouble with and how you made the best of it.
Name an accomplishment or award you are most proud of.
Name a difficult experience and how you overcame.
Where do you see yourself in osteopathic medicine in 15 years.

Then there were some questions to get us all talking like 1 out of 3 people would not report a colleague if they saw them giving unethical or bad medical dosing. Something along those lines...


Here is some info everyone else may be interested in. This is from memory so the exact GPA numbers may be off slightly but not by much.

Class Averages I think for last year.

Average total GPA 3.44
Average sGPA 3.33
Average non sci gpa 3.567
Average MCAT 26 closer to 27 this year
Average scores:
b 9
vr 9
p 8


The recruiter did stress that they have some way above the averages and some below the averages so don't worry too much about grades and MCAT.
 
OH uh.. Geeze I don't really remember. Lets see, here is a highly paraphrased and inaccurate list.
Name a professor that you had trouble with and how you made the best of it.
Name an accomplishment or award you are most proud of.
Name a difficult experience and how you overcame.
Where do you see yourself in osteopathic medicine in 15 years.

Then there were some questions to get us all talking like 1 out of 3 people would not report a colleague if they saw them giving unethical or bad medical dosing. Something along those lines...


Here is some info everyone else may be interested in. This is from memory so the exact GPA numbers may be off slightly but not by much.

Class Averages I think for last year.

Average total GPA 3.44
Average sGPA 3.33
Average non sci gpa 3.567
Average MCAT 26 closer to 27 this year
Average scores:
b 9
vr 9
p 8


The recruiter did stress that they have some way above the averages and some below the averages so don't worry too much about grades and MCAT.

I was in a suit too! lol
I must not have been in your interview group, my questions were pretty different. I honestly couldn't be more impressed with the school after that presentation. Don't even get me started on how amazing the fitness center was. I think what really sold me is how concerned the school was with their students. I felt the vibe that they care A LOT about their students and that's really what I was looking for. That coupled with the fact that their COMLEX pass rate was like 96% and their facilities were top notch (to me at least) made this school an easy top choice for me. Lets just hope a get in :xf:.

Just to reiterate,
Roughly 40 people, CLOSED file group interview, very relaxed, the interviewers seemed genuinely concerned with learning about my personality. Questions were pretty much: quick tidbit about yourself, name a challenge, is health care a privilege or a right. Hope that helped.
 
I loved the school as well! The group interview was pretty low stress and was about 1.5 hours long. There were interesting questions similar to the ones posted. The facilities were awesome! The wellness center was huge and had a ton of great stuff!

LECOM has definitely moved to my #1! All the interviewers and students were really nice and seemed like they really cared about you!

Hope I get in...guess we'll find out in about 2 weeks! :luck:
 
In a closed file interview, are you supposed to bring up blemishes in your record?

I wouldn't. The admissions committee is obviously ok enough with your blemishes to invite you for an interview. If you are directly asked about any blemishes, don't lie. But you don't have to bring up bad things, keep the interview positive.
 
okay just got home from lecom! like everyone said, 1.5 hour group interview 9 students 2 interviewers. first we each introduced ourselves, then they asked each of us a question. then we had some discussion questions where everyone chimed in. My group had a few people who really liked to talk so I feel like I didn't completely get to express myself but it was very unstressful. the group questions were interesting because they were controversial issues and nobody in my group wanted to give an answer that might offend the interviewers. I was trying to figure out who was who from sdn today hah.
 
I kinda got the feeling that they were selling themselves on the facilities and really really really emphasized the wellness center as opposed to emphasizing the schools academic merits? anyone else notice this? seemed a bit shady. And it was funny how they tried not to talk about the weather or dress code or no food policies. still a solid school
 
Unfortunately I do not have a secretive SDN username. If I met you today, you can probably guess who I am.
 
I kinda got the feeling that they were selling themselves on the facilities and really really really emphasized the wellness center as opposed to emphasizing the schools academic merits? anyone else notice this? seemed a bit shady. And it was funny how they tried not to talk about the weather or dress code or no food policies. still a solid school

What is there to talk about with regard to weather? It's gonna snow at some point and likely snow a lot (have yet to experience it). Dress code? Dress shirt, tie and slacks for guys. Food policy? Food only allowed in the cafeteria. Thats about it. Though I do agree that they emphasized the wellness center when I interviewed last year. I'd say we saw more of that than the school. During my tour, we didn't get to see the anatomy lab but saw just about every room at the wellness center.
 
I kinda got the feeling that they were selling themselves on the facilities and really really really emphasized the wellness center as opposed to emphasizing the schools academic merits? anyone else notice this? seemed a bit shady. And it was funny how they tried not to talk about the weather or dress code or no food policies. still a solid school

I thought they mentioned the dress code, weather and food policies well enough for me. He had that one slide and explained why (they feel that people score higher and are more receptive to learning), I didn't know what else they could really say about it.

As for the wellness center, I didn't feel that they were placing any emphasis on it until after 1pm when we had done everything else there was to do. My tour of the school we saw the lecture hall, OMT lab, anatomy lab, and atrium. I don't know what else they could have shown us besides the library (which is pretty small). I'm obviously biased now, because I really enjoyed the school, but I didn't feel like they spent as much time as you felt they did. (But you are right, we did get an extensive tour of the Healthcare center, I took that as more of a positive though).

If anyone here met me let me know! I was the one who asked if there were any hockey rinks near the wellness center :laugh:
 
you've gotta admit that the wellness center was pretty impressive! I would love to work out there!

Also, if anyone wants to know more in detail about the policies there is a catalog on the LECOM website that goes into detail about the policies. I don't mind that you can't eat or drink outside of the cafeteria, it keeps the tuition down and the school and wellness center were extremely clean!

I also can't get over the first time board pass rates... 96%, they must be doing a bunch of things right!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thoroughly impressed with the school today, the organization, the facilities, the laws of the land (am I the only one who loves a good dress code??), and the support structure that seems to be in place.

I was disappointed with the blank stares and general apathy among fellow applicants during the financial aid session. I worry about the attitude of many toward taking on a significant amount of debt. Just realize that if you max out LECOM's COA over four years, your monthly payment will be approximately $2,000 a month. Not only that, but it will impair your ability to get other loans (house, car, kids' college etc). Oh well, maybe everyone was tired.

I felt that as a large group (and 38 or however many it was) we asked some excellent questions and there was very little "talking for the sake of hearing one's voice" during the large session.

There was just as much selling of LECOM to us as we were selling ourselves to LECOM, which is how I think an interview should be.

Good luck to all who interviewed and who will interview the rest of this cycle!
 
atombum are you from utah?
Yeah. Whoever you are, I hope I wasn't too morose.

If anyone here met me let me know! I was the one who asked if there were any hockey rinks near the wellness center :laugh:
Not sure why but I thought you were a woman. If you are, then someone else asked this question as well. Anyways I didn't speak up on the "bus" but while I was driving around the night before I saw an ice rink.
 
Last edited:
I was thoroughly impressed with the school today, the organization, the facilities, the laws of the land (am I the only one who loves a good dress code??), and the support structure that seems to be in place.

I was disappointed with the blank stares and general apathy among fellow applicants during the financial aid session. I worry about the attitude of many toward taking on a significant amount of debt. Just realize that if you max out LECOM's COA over four years, your monthly payment will be approximately $2,000 a month. Not only that, but it will impair your ability to get other loans (house, car, kids' college etc). Oh well, maybe everyone was tired.

I felt that as a large group (and 38 or however many it was) we asked some excellent questions and there was very little "talking for the sake of hearing one's voice" during the large session.

There was just as much selling of LECOM to us as we were selling ourselves to LECOM, which is how I think an interview should be.

Good luck to all who interviewed and who will interview the rest of this cycle!

I thought some of the interviewee's were pretty out of it as well, but I did meet some interesting people. During the fin. aid session I asked about why their average indebtedness was lower than the COA and she definitely seemed well informed of the process and answered my question. No way will I be taking out max loans unless I had to. I actually like the dress code, didn't really bother me.


Not sure why but I thought you were a woman. If you are, then someone else asked this question as well. Anyways I didn't speak up on the "bus" but while I was driving around the night before I saw an ice rink.


You thought I was a woman, what the hell :laugh:. My profile picture is of me (I thought I looked like a male) playing hockey :laugh:. Oh well.
 
so other than the one ethical question already mentioned would anyone mind sharing what they were asked?
thanks
 
Hey all,

Thought I would chime in as well. Finished the interview on the 16th like a couple of people here. I was one of the three asian guys......blue shirt and black tie.

Anyways, I was also very impressed with the school, definitely set a good standard to future interviews/school visits. I was very surprised at how low stress the group interview was, at first I was crazy nervous since I essentially thought that we were kind of competing against each other. But as time went on, things became very very chill and everyone seemed to be really nice and open about everything they were saying. One of the group discussion questions that brought about a lot of talking was "Is health care a privilege?" and "should community service or pro-bono work be required for practicing physicians"

Other than that all the other questions were pretty standard. Let me know if I can help you out any more. Just sitting here for two weeks until I hear a decision from them, crossing my fingers.


By the way, Student Wellness Center was definitely off the hook....although it was strange taking a tour through the men's locker room..... plenty of awkward moments as a parade of guys in suits walked in on people changing and showering.....hahahaha
 
Name a professor that you had trouble with and how you made the best of it.
Name an accomplishment or award you are most proud of.
Name a difficult experience and how you overcame.
Where do you see yourself in osteopathic medicine in 15 years.

Then there were some questions to get us all talking like 1 out of 3 people would not report a colleague if they saw them giving unethical or bad medical dosing. Something along those lines...
They asked the exact same stuff last year. I got the accomplishment/award question myself, and then the reporting a colleague question was the first from our discussion section of the interview. Seems like LECOM really likes to standardize the process, which is good for anyone wanting to prepare for it.
 
You thought I was a woman, what the hell :laugh:. My profile picture is of me (I thought I looked like a male) playing hockey :laugh:. Oh well.
I'm really not sure why...I think I was tying your avatar with another post I saw of someone else saying they were a girl.
That is definitely you playing hockey, I can even recognize you in the picture now that I have seen you in person. I didn't mean to insinuate that you look like a girl.
 
Hey all,

Thought I would chime in as well. Finished the interview on the 16th like a couple of people here. I was one of the three asian guys......blue shirt and black tie.

Anyways, I was also very impressed with the school, definitely set a good standard to future interviews/school visits. I was very surprised at how low stress the group interview was, at first I was crazy nervous since I essentially thought that we were kind of competing against each other. But as time went on, things became very very chill and everyone seemed to be really nice and open about everything they were saying. One of the group discussion questions that brought about a lot of talking was "Is health care a privilege?" and "should community service or pro-bono work be required for practicing physicians"

Other than that all the other questions were pretty standard. Let me know if I can help you out any more. Just sitting here for two weeks until I hear a decision from them, crossing my fingers.


By the way, Student Wellness Center was definitely off the hook....although it was strange taking a tour through the men's locker room..... plenty of awkward moments as a parade of guys in suits walked in on people changing and showering.....hahahaha


did you interview with moore?
 
hockeydr... I think I remember someone asking about rinks but can't picture you.. she said there used to be 2 but only 1 now if i remember correctly.


Does anyone know how they will contact us?? lecom portal, e-mail, phone?
 
hockeydr... I think I remember someone asking about rinks but can't picture you.. she said there used to be 2 but only 1 now if i remember correctly.


Does anyone know how they will contact us?? lecom portal, e-mail, phone?

Unless they changed it from last year, it should be snail mail. When I got my acceptance, it was in a standard sized envelope, but it was fairly thick with several pieces of paper.
 
I think they will send a letter snail mail. I'm gonna be checking my mail like crazy the end of this coming week until I hear something!

Also, those new apartments going up around LECOM looked really nice! Wouldn't mind living in one of those. 😀
 
yeah i have heard from multiple students that they are really great places and living close to the school saves a ton of time. FYI if you are PBL, most sessions are held at the bayfront building I believe so you might want to get a place closer to that area.
 
Hey all,

Thought I would chime in as well. Finished the interview on the 16th like a couple of people here. I was one of the three asian guys......blue shirt and black tie.

Anyways, I was also very impressed with the school, definitely set a good standard to future interviews/school visits. I was very surprised at how low stress the group interview was, at first I was crazy nervous since I essentially thought that we were kind of competing against each other. But as time went on, things became very very chill and everyone seemed to be really nice and open about everything they were saying. One of the group discussion questions that brought about a lot of talking was "Is health care a privilege?" and "should community service or pro-bono work be required for practicing physicians"

Other than that all the other questions were pretty standard. Let me know if I can help you out any more. Just sitting here for two weeks until I hear a decision from them, crossing my fingers.


By the way, Student Wellness Center was definitely off the hook....although it was strange taking a tour through the men's locker room..... plenty of awkward moments as a parade of guys in suits walked in on people changing and showering.....hahahaha

I think I remember you! Were you in the second group to tour the wellness center? I remember someone with your description (I think) looking at me after we got out of the locker room like "are you serious right now" (paraphrasing).



I think they will send a letter snail mail. I'm gonna be checking my mail like crazy the end of this coming week until I hear something!

Also, those new apartments going up around LECOM looked really nice! Wouldn't mind living in one of those. 😀

I second this, they look really nice. From what I heard (last years thread) they are on of the harder places to get into (with good reason probably). It seems like it's going to be snail mail and they said they will have made a decision on Wednesday. Although that is very soon, the wait is still going to be excruciating. To top it off my letter goes to my home address, not my school so I won't even get the letter first 🙁
 
Anybody check out the MSI schedule for this coming year? I found it posted on the home page after you log in... it looks pretty intense, but I'm glad that LECOM is allowing some time for success strategies and such in their orientation week schedule. It seems like it starts right at 8am on Monday with a full day and embryology at 8am on Tuesday.

Makes me excited to go to LECOM (granted I am accepted)!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember reading somewhere that LECOM is flexibile in that if a student has taken one english course, they can use another heavily writing intensive course as the second half? Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you
 
How long do you think I should wait with my file is "under review" before I start to worry I didn't make the cut?
 
Anybody been "under review" for more than three weeks? I have tried emailing and calling, but the are obviously super busy atm. Just wondering if anybody had an update. 🙂