LECOM-Erie Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK ... so I have an interview at LECOM (my top choice for school) this Friday. I have already had 2 interviews ... both ending with a spot on the waitlist! :(

One of the interviews was pretty bad ... no conversation at all and the interviewers were hardly friendly ...

The other one went well and while I think my career experience (tissue banking) and MCAT helped me ... my GPA hurt me a little ... hence the waitlist.

I was calm for both of those interviews ...

However ... today I realized that I am freaking out about the LECOM interview!!! It's still two days (and a 6 hour drive) away but I'm already jittery! I know there is a standard list of questions and I'll have no problem answering them .... I just think I'm freaking about being on another waitlist (or possibly a rejection ... knock on wood). I was never good at the WaitGame ...

Any suggestions for some nerve-calming???

And anyone else going to be there Friday?

*Praying to little 8 pounds 6 ounces baby Jesus ... who's sittin' in his crib watchin the Baby Einstein videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors*

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions for some nerve-calming???

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=19019

and

beerhelpinggo3.jpg

You'll be fine! If you know the questions and have answers, the day isn't stressful at all. You'll have some people talk at you about the programs etc, and just chill out til they call you in. Don't get flustered if they aren't overly friendly in the interview, mine weren't. I tried to make a couple ice breaking comments, I think they went over ok. My only advice is to take a few deep breaths. They obviously think you are qualified, if you want to go there, let them know it and you'll do great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called this morning, letters abt the interview decision were made and sent out yesterday, we'll know soon

I called this morning, letters abt the interview decision were made and sent out yesterday, we'll know soon

Best of luck to everyone who is expecting a decision from LECOM!!! :)

I just finished my LECOM interview (back in the hotel room now). I REALLY liked LECOM (guess that's why it was my top choice)! I thought my interview went well ... they did the whole standard check list thing. I had my answer semi-prepared ... I mean I knew what I was going to talk about but I didn't script anything.

My two interviewers were great! One was a former student who now teaches at the school ... and the other was a MD from France. They read off the checklist but engaged in conversation with me. I asked them why they chose LECOM ... both had really good stories behind their choices. The MD actually said that he got into osteopathic medicine when a physician at LECOM cured his sinus problem! He spoke VERY highly of DOs ... which is kinda rare coming from a MD.

I like the town of Erie ... similar to the town where I was born and raised. Not too much to do ... but there's enough.

During the tour some girls in the hall whispered "Don't come here!" I felt like telling them that I would gladly take their place if they weren't happy at LECOM!

Anyways ... the waiting game begins for me. They said they will have a meeting next Wednesday and decisions will be mailed about two weeks after that. Puts me around 2.5 weeks of waiting! ... argh

Wish me luck, say some prayers for me, knock on wood .... PLEASE! I really hope to get into LECOM!!!!

Congrats to all that are in and good luck to all that are trying! ;)

During the tour some girls in the hall whispered "Don't come here!" I felt like telling them that I would gladly take their place if they weren't happy at LECOM!

This is the 4th time I've heard this happening at a LECOM interview. I guess maturity may not be a strong point for some students... :rolleyes:

This is the 4th time I've heard this happening at a LECOM interview. I guess maturity may not be a strong point for some students... :rolleyes:
no kidding, I din't have that happen to me, but that's just ridiculous, people whispering saying that stuff, too immature

I believe they interview 2-3 days per week with probably an average of 10 people each day, according to their website they will interview till April, I don't know when in April, maybe the middle or end of April.

Does anyone know the turnaround time after an interview for LECOM? I've seen some people have heard within a week of the interview. But I've also seen that the interviewees in mid-march haven't heard back yet!

I interviewed on March 30th. They said they were having a adcom meeting on Wednesday April 4th and letters would be sent 2 weeks after that.

Is this standard for LECOM or should I expect a decision sooner?

They also said that they hardly put people on the waitlist ... is this true? Thxs!

Not true at all. Many MDs think very highly of DOs. It is the minority that ruin it...

Let me rephrase ...

I felt that it was rare that a MD would be interested in osteopathic medicine after practicing allopathic for so many years. And I thought the story behind it was rare... the MD seeks sinus help from other MDs for years ... then is cured by a DO ... he then starts to learn about DOs and is now an employee at an osteopathic school ... and spoke to Congress and the House of Reps about osteopathic medicine

Poor word choice earlier on my part. I apologize to anyone I may have offended. Just thought it was a rare and interesting story!

Maybe maturity has nothing to do with it. The fact that you state it has happened 4 TIMES should tell you something. There have been quite a few posts from LECOM students advising people to avoid LECOM like the plague. If you choose to ignore that advice and attend LECOM, that's your decision. No need to diss those who are trying to save you from what they think is a negative experience.

Maybe maturity has nothing to do with it. The fact that you state it has happened 4 TIMES should tell you something. There have been quite a few posts from LECOM students advising people to avoid LECOM like the plague. If you choose to ignore that advice and attend LECOM, that's your decision. No need to diss those who are trying to save you from what they think is a negative experience.

Someone whispering "don't come here" like a child is suppose to be a warning to seriously consider when choosing a medical school? Give me a break. There are also quite a few posts saying the lecture-based students are just whining because they can't handle some administrative policies...even though they signed up for them. Just saying bad things about a school or someone else with no substantiating evidence is pretty worthless and immature.

Someone whispering "don't come here" like a child is suppose to be a warning to seriously consider when choosing a medical school? Give me a break. There are also quite a few posts saying the lecture-based students are just whining because they can't handle some administrative policies...even though they signed up for them. Just saying bad things about a school or someone else with no substantiating evidence is pretty worthless and immature.

One brick doesn't make a wall. A lot of bricks do. One whining malcontent can likely safely be ignored. But when you keep hearing the same negative comments over and over and over again, I believe it would be a mistake to dismiss it as the "whining" of some "immature" students. I suspect you have drank the KoolAid, however, so no sense continuing the discussion. Good luck!

P.S. If the administration at LECOM didn't foster such a "big brother is watching and listening" atmosphere, students probably wouldn't feel the need to whisper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get the impression thar 1) Students do indeed have valid complaints about LECOM but that 2) LECOM also has an above average number of immature students. I don't think it's an either/or situation. LECOM, though, also has a lot of really great students who have been very good about talking to me via email about my concerns and giving me advice on what to expect and how to deal. I'm looking forward to becoming a fellow LECOMer this summer. :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! :luck:

Regarding the timing of decisions: I interviewed early December and ended up hearing back at the same time as the people who interviewed mid-November I believe. I guess they meet like once a month. When I interviewed they told us when the adcom would be meeting and approximatel when we'd hear back. But ISP/PBL kids will have to wait a little longer than the LDP peeps to hear back. Good luck. :luck:

I interviewed 12/4 and found out around 12/15 I think.

Pardon me, Lisa, but I really love seeing your messages because of your stunning pictures.

With that being said, I'll go back to being a quiet, nerdy pre-med now. :)

Yes, unfortunately for the guys...but I know I'll enjoy seeing guys dressed up everyday!

:laugh: Way to look at the positive side!! And I agree, that will be nice!

I have an interview on April 16, any pointers?:scared: I live 7 hours away, is LECOM worth it?:confused:

ok i interviewed on 3/15 and its 4/6, I still haven't heard back, anyone else in the same position ??? also does anyone know when the orientation dates are for LECOM?

I believe orientation starts on July 28th.

ok i interviewed on 3/15 and its 4/6, I still haven't heard back, anyone else in the same position ??? also does anyone know when the orientation dates are for LECOM?

Was your first pick PBL? That could be why.

Yeah I interviewed 2/23 and I still haven't heard back from them either. I was told that it was because the Provost is away on some conference and they are waiting for her to come back, so she can sign the decision papers, before they mail them.
Its really frustrating coz its taking forever

Yeah I interviewed 2/23 and I still haven't heard back from them either. I was told that it was because the Provost is away on some conference and they are waiting for her to come back, so she can sign the decision papers, before they mail them.
Its really frustrating coz its taking forever

That's awful!! I'm so sorry...waiting is the worst part. I interviewed on 3/26 and I'm nervously awaiting a response as well. Good luck to you!

nuhuh that's what they told me too!!! that the provost was outta town. and then i called back when the provost was supposedly supposed to be back in and they said they mailed em out, so I was waiting all week and dint get anything in the mail. so I called em again and they said they did not mail it out. so I asked if they've made a decision yet and she said no. i asked when should I expect something, she said hopefully soon, within a week or two. I don't get ity was i told they mailed it when they did not. at my interview they said its gonna take 3 weeks, still nothing and I interviewed on 3/15.

"Yeah I interviewed 2/23 and I still haven't heard back from them either. I was told that it was because the Provost is away on some conference and they are waiting for her to come back, so she can sign the decision papers, before they mail them.
Its really frustrating coz its taking forever"

I don't see what all the finger pointing is about. Reply time seems to vary by person if you look at past threads and even other schools. Maybe they're sorting out their candidates. Maybe they're looking deeper into something on an application. It's not always the school being slow.

I don't see what all the finger pointing is about. Reply time seems to vary by person if you look at past threads and even other schools. Maybe they're sorting out their candidates. Maybe they're looking deeper into something on an application. It's not always the school being slow.

So I have an idea...

I think that the LECOM 2011 class and the PCOM 2011 class should meet in State College at one of the PSU football games next year to duke it out for the "Best Osteopathic College in PA" football title as part of the post-game celebration ;)

its the fact that they told me it was sent in the mail last thursday that I don't get. they told me they send it in and when I called a week later they said they did not mail it. y din't they just say it hasnt been mailed? that's all, I did not call the school slow.

its the fact that they told me it was sent in the mail last thursday that I don't get. they told me they send it in and when I called a week later they said they did not mail it. y din't they just say it hasnt been mailed? that's all, I did not call the school slow.

Well actually when I interviewed in early December I called, they told me the letters would be signed and mailed Monday. I called Monday (bc I had the Dec 15th deposit deadline at another school) and they said the provost did not come in and the letters would be mailed the next Monday, in a week. I then got my acceptance later 3 days later from my phone call, that Thursday. So....they don't always seem to have the correct information or keep everyone in the loop.

Bump...Cutievans, have you heard anything? :luck: :thumbup:

nope, nothing yet...still waiting

Wow... Still nothing huh???

Seems like they are moving a little slow or are backed up or something. Anybody know the last interview dates (their website says through March)?

Good luck cutievans!!! (and everyone else!)

~hoping and pleading with the osteopathic Gods

MaxD, I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet. I was waitlisted at Marshall and have not heard from WVSOM yet after my interview. I have an interview at OU-COM tomorrow and LECOM on Monday. :scared: It is going to be a crazy weekend!!!

Bump. It was about to drop of the first page and I am still holding out for cutievans acceptance. :)

*sigh* It's been three weeks for me and still only silence...

Anybody contact LECOM-Erie lately to find out about the delays???

I e-mailed them today ... but was curious if anyone else tried.

aw thanks u all for all the encouragement. I haven't called at all cos I called so much earlier and they either said the provost is not here, or the decisions haven't been made, or it hasn't been mailed out. It din't sound like they knew what was going on. but if anyone finds out something please let me know. its been over a month since I interviewed and I was told 3 weeks time to get something from them.

aw thanks u all for all the encouragement. I haven't called at all cos I called so much earlier and they either said the provost is not here, or the decisions haven't been made, or it hasn't been mailed out. It din't sound like they knew what was going on. but if anyone finds out something please let me know. its been over a month since I interviewed and I was told 3 weeks time to get something from them.

I suggest you give them a call once again. I got my acceptance last thursday, and the matriculation fee is due tomorrow. It is possible that your letter is still on the way or something, and if you have been accepted (hopefully) you don't wanna miss the deposit deadline.

I suggest you give them a call once again. I got my acceptance last thursday, and the matriculation fee is due tomorrow. It is possible that your letter is still on the way or something, and if you have been accepted (hopefully) you don't wanna miss the deposit deadline.

This is your first deposit right? I paid my first one back in December. When do I owe them more money?

when did u interview hashmi?

I looked back in the post and saw hashmi interviewed on 2/23.
that mean's i still got some time to wait. i called this morning and they said it's slow this itme of the year. thanks for lookin up the time hashmi interviewed robin. looks like she dint hear back until a month and three weeks later. that puts at another three weeks.

When I interviewed on 4/12, they said the committee would be meeting on the 18th, and we'd hear about two and a half weeks after the date of the interview. So maybe they're looking over everyone's apps on that day? I'm not sure, but good luck!

Uh oh!!!

My girlfriend just called me at work to tell me that I have a letter from LECOM waiting at home! I asked if it was thick or thin ... to which she responded "medium." ..........

oh jeez...

Uh oh!!!

My girlfriend just called me at work to tell me that I have a letter from LECOM waiting at home! I asked if it was thick or thin ... to which she responded "medium." ..........

oh jeez...

They only put two or three sheets of paper in the envelope, so don't panic yet!