LECOM - Erie ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my scores came in last night, it was 3 points lower than my practice scores but I can't change anything now. I've already applied and sent in 2ndaries. I want to know what people think about getting into LECOM-Erie. I have a 3.3 gpa and a 24M. I've got plently of clinical experience and shadowing and 2 years of tutoring.

Members don't see this ad.

Their stats are on the low side for DO schools, and I think your MCAT is around thier avg. Not sure about the GPA, look it up in the MSR link. IMO, you would have a shot, even though it is a little late. Don't know that much about the school, other than that it is pretty new. I would try to convey to them that you are seriously interested in their school. You never know unless you apply.

I applied in July lol. I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
. Don't know that much about the school, other than that it is pretty new.

Ummmm......LECOM-Erie's first class began over 13 years ago. Not sure that I'd call that "new." Since then, 8 other schools have opened their doors as well:

AZCOM- 1996
PCSOM- 1997
VCOM 2003
LECOM- Bradenton 2004
PCOM- Georgia 2005
TUCOM-NV 2004
ATSUCOM- Mesa 2007
DCOM- 2007

By the way the breakdown is VR 8 PS 7 BS 9. Any other insight from LECOM-Erie students?

So my scores came in last night, it was 3 points lower than my practice scores but I can't change anything now. I've already applied and sent in 2ndaries. I want to know what people think about getting into LECOM-Erie. I have a 3.3 gpa and a 24M. I've got plently of clinical experience and shadowing and 2 years of tutoring.

The one thing I like about LECOM is the independent study pathway. I wish DMU had this, because, with all honesty, I never go to class nor see a reason to.

13 years is ont that long when you consider that some schools have been open for over 100 years. Only being open for 13 years would mean that at the most, 5 graduating classes have compeleted thier residencies, so there are not that many graduates out in the workforce yet. This makes it hard for the medical community to gage the quaility of LECOM grads, because there aren't that many of them yet. Everything I have heard has been good about the school (except for the snow/cold), but 13 years is a blip on the radar when you consider how old some of hte other schools are.

Ummmm......LECOM-Erie's first class began over 13 years ago. Not sure that I'd call that "new." Since then, 8 other schools have opened their doors as well:

AZCOM- 1996
PCSOM- 1997
VCOM 2003
LECOM- Bradenton 2004
PCOM- Georgia 2005
TUCOM-NV 2004
ATSUCOM- Mesa 2007
DCOM- 2007

13 years is ont that long when you consider that some schools have been open for over 100 years. Only being open for 13 years would mean that at the most, 5 graduating classes have compeleted thier residencies, so there are not that many graduates out in the workforce yet. This makes it hard for the medical community to gage the quaility of LECOM grads, because there aren't that many of them yet. Everything I have heard has been good about the school (except for the snow/cold), but 13 years is a blip on the radar when you consider how old some of hte other schools are.

I go to Lecom-Erie and I'm in pbl, pm me with any questions. I think you have a good shot at getting in. If you just got your score back I would call them and tell them b/c it takes a while for the score to be sent to them. I got my score back and had to call it in to them.

13 years is ont that long when you consider that some schools have been open for over 100 years.

From 1921 to 1969 there were no new colleges of osteopathic medicine. When Michigan opened in 1970, it was the only the 6th overall (albeit some had opened and closed previously). Since 1969 20+ new schools have opened. No, they haven't been open as long a few others have, but what is the relevance? There is none, unless you mistakenly believe that being older is better.

I don't really get the part about the medical community gauging the quality of it's medical graduates. Do you mean that you don't think that they have been around long enough to develop a reputation? That's a kind of shallow way to look at things, don't you think? I hate to tell you this, but the reputation of your school, especially when there are less than 30 COM's to begin with, is not what makes you a good doctor. It also isn't the thing that gets an individual student into desired residencies. Hard work and determination are a lot more important. Are you really that concerend with how someone else will view you based on where you went to school?

From 1921 to 1969 there were no new colleges of osteopathic medicine. When Michigan opened in 1970, it was the only the 6th overall (albeit some had opened and closed previously). Since 1969 20+ new schools have opened. No, they haven't been open as long a few others have, but what is the relevance? There is none, unless you mistakenly believe that being older is better.

I don't really get the part about the medical community gauging the quality of it's medical graduates. Do you mean that you don't think that they have been around long enough to develop a reputation? That's a kind of shallow way to look at things, don't you think? I hate to tell you this, but the reputation of your school, especially when there are less than 30 COM's to begin with, is not what makes you a good doctor. It also isn't the thing that gets an individual student into desired residencies. Hard work and determination are a lot more important. Are you really that concerend with how someone else will view you based on where you went to school?

I never said that being older is better, all I said to the OP was that the school was relativly new. I understand that where you go to school does not determine what type of doctor your become. And you are correct to assert that it does not determine where you get a residency. However, what I was saying was that there are not a ton of graduates of LECOM working yet, compared to other schools, both allo/osteo. It doesn't matter if you went to the "worst" med school in the country...if you have good grades / boards you can get whatever residency you want. However, sometimes when a particular medical school had sent alot of graudates to a particular residency program and those students preform well, they will be more likely to take students from that program again. What I was saying is that LECOM, because of it's relative new-ness (is that a word?) may not have as many of these relationships as some long established programs. If you get great grades/boards from LECOM you can do an MD residency in rad. onc if you really want, just like anyother school.

I have heard numerous MS3's and 4's talk about programs that have traditionally accepted students from thier medical school. This may not be an important part of a decision about medical school, but it may be a small advantage for a school that has been around longer. Now, the long established school produces dog sh*^ physicans, what I just said is out the window. Stop being so sensitive

I forgot to add that LECOM has residency programs with the nearby millcreek health system, which I am sure is a benifit to LECOM students.