Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangonectar

Reaction score
Hi all,

In April, I sent a letter of intent to my top school (School #1) that I was on the waitlist for. A few days into May, I was accepted into my second favorite school (School #2). At this point, if accepted to School #1, I will undoubtedly go. My question concerns when I essentially (and ethically!) "give up" on School #1 after sending a letter of intent.

Due to the specific requirements of School #2, I'll have to commit to enroll by a certain date in late June. At that point, I have no choice to "give up" on my top school. However, part of me wants to start figuring out housing, moving, and all the next steps that go along with attending School #2. I know odds of waitlist acceptance greatly decline as time goes on, but would it be right of me to commit to enroll to School #2 early (say, early to mid-June)-- and therefore withdraw from the waitlist to School #1-- if I still have not heard back at that point?

On the other side of things, since I do still want to attend School #1, should I reach out and let them know about the deadline of having to commit to enroll at my accepted school??

Thank you for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search of these forums, you will quickly realize that LOI really don’t hold much weight with ADCOMS. You have already sent a LOI expressing your interest and desire to attend that school. You have several weeks to CTE to school 2. I wouldn’t send another letter at this point. See what happens in the next few weeks. There is nothing stopping you from visiting the area where school 2 is located and figuring out where you’d like to live. It might even help you to pull the plug on school 1 and commit to school 2.

Reactions: 2 users
The only advice I've read on here (besides not sending LOI's at all) is that LOI's should only be sent when you have an acceptance at another school to leverage. I would not send another letter but do what helps you sleep at night. I don't think it's likely to help either way.

I know you don't need to hear this, but School #1 has no obligation to you. Do not delay or mess with the obligation School #2 has made to you. You have an acceptance at a school and are unlikely to receive an acceptance at School #1, so act and plan accordingly. If School #1 does accept you, then you can decide and scramble on planning your move there. Otherwise, wait and commit before the deadline but get involved in School #2's class and get planning now, like @candbgirl suggested.

I would write to School #1 and let them know your predicament. Tell them the date you are going to decide by. After that date, you can CTE. I see this as a non-issue. The only potential "ethical" issue would be if you were still on School #1s waitlist but did not accept their offer.

Reactions: 1 user