Letter of Rec - From who?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. D0NK3Y

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My graduating GPA is a 3.3 with a sGPA of 3.0. I did not do the best in my science classes and therefor do not have many A's. If I had a meaningful experience with a couple of teachers and received a B in his or her class; would it hurt to ask for a letter of rec from them or should I only ask the teachers that I had an A with? I was planning on getting one from one of my Major professors (got an A) and then 2-3 more from my science. Only one of the science teachers gave me an A.

Members don't see this ad.

My graduating GPA is a 3.3 with a sGPA of 3.0. I did not do the best in my science classes and therefor do not have many A's. If I had a meaningful experience with a couple of teachers and received a B in his or her class; would it hurt to ask for a letter of rec from them or should I only ask the teachers that I had an A with? I was planning on getting one from one of my Major professors (got an A) and then 2-3 more from my science. Only one of the science teachers gave me an A.
Get the LOR's from which ever professors you feel will write the best one for you, regardless of whether you had an A or B in that class. I know my Orgo professor wrote me a great LOR although I had a B in her class, but I was also very active officer in the club and my recommender was the club advisor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is probably one of the most popular questions I read. Only ask professors who know you well like a good friend. Make sure you have visited his or her office throughout the semester. While preparing your application, make sure you give them enough time to critically think and write about your personality and interaction both in and out of class. Handing them your resume and personal statement is an absolute must(my opinion). You should offer to have coffee with them and have a proper conversation about your aspiratons and endeavors (sounds like an interview or selling yourself).

Personally I only asked LOR from classes I recently attended in senior year because I took a gap year to apply and relax. In addition, my senior classes were higher level science courses and significantly smaller (10-20 students).

If you ever feel that your lab professor or lab TA knows you better personally, then don't hesirant to ask for a LOR. After the TA is finished, you can ask the lecture professor to add some substance and authenticate the LOR (like co-signing? Lol).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much. I read a couple other posts and they did not quiet answer the question I had which is why I posted this again. That or I am just really bad at searching, lol. Thank you guys for your advice!

Does your school have a pre-health committee?

I know when I was applying my committee compiled my letter and then ADDED my letters of rec from a faculty member that really liked me. The TMDSAS and AADSAS both read committee packets no matter how large, so I think to was really beneficial to have the extra letter put in.

If I were you I'd get a committee letter, which if you interview well are usually positive, then I would get a letter from a professor who really likes you as the other commenters mentioned above.

Get the LOR's from which ever professors you feel will write the best one for you, regardless of whether you had an A or B in that class. I know my Orgo professor wrote me a great LOR although I had a B in her class, but I was also very active officer in the club and my recommender was the club advisor.
Hey there, did you ever end up getting into nyu? I saw your posts and want to wish you good luck!