This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djoh156lsu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, ladies and gents. The consensus is clear on the following:

- it is worth informing your #1 program
- you should never lie (i.e., tell your #2, #3, etc. that they are your #1)

Where the consensus is grey:

- is it worth telling programs at the top of your list (but not your #1) that you will be ranking them "highly," they are "at the top of your list," etc., etc.

I know this is all getting ridiculous. However, multiple PD's have hinted during interviews that "keeping in touch come January" will lead to them ranking me higher. I want to put myself in the best possible position to match at the highest place on my list. But at the same time, it seems like telling a program you will rank them "highly" is basically only guaranteeing to them that "you are not my #1" and nothing else. If I were them, I would take that to mean that "I have ranked you between 2-15 on my list."

Any wise words will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, ladies and gents. The consensus is clear on the following:

- it is worth informing your #1 program
- you should never lie (i.e., tell your #2, #3, etc. that they are your #1)

Where the consensus is grey:

- is it worth telling programs at the top of your list (but not your #1) that you will be ranking them "highly," they are "at the top of your list," etc., etc.

I know this is all getting ridiculous. However, multiple PD's have hinted during interviews that "keeping in touch come January" will lead to them ranking me higher. I want to put myself in the best possible position to match at the highest place on my list. But at the same time, it seems like telling a program you will rank them "highly" is basically only guaranteeing to them that "you are not my #1" and nothing else. If I were them, I would take that to mean that "I have ranked you between 2-15 on my list."

Any wise words will be appreciated.

Not very grey to me. "Ranking you highly" means not number one. Very simple. No program wants to hear that, especially when they get showered in "You're my #1!" E-mails.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s all smoke and mirrors and a game. Take none of what they say as an absolute truth. Letters of intent for residency mean even less than they did for medical school. Until you have a contract in front of you to sign, consider yourself unmatched.

Reactions: 1 user
What's wrong with that? They'll never find out so who cares.

Meh, not necessarily true. It's a small world, especially if you're applying to a competitive specialty or applying heavily to a certain geographic area.

If you tell Program A you're ranking them #1, and they rank you back #1, but you actually rank Program B #1 and end up there, Program A's likely going to notice you lied when you don't end up on their list. Program Directors have the ability to look up where everyone on their rank list winds up, I believe. And maybe they won't care, but maybe three years from now you'll apply for a job or fellowship affiliated with Program A and they might remember "the kid we really liked a few years ago until he lied to us." Ethical implications about honesty aside, I wouldn't take that chance if it were me.

Reactions: 1 users
Meh, not necessarily true. It's a small world, especially if you're applying to a competitive specialty or applying heavily to a certain geographic area.

If you tell Program A you're ranking them #1, and they rank you back #1, but you actually rank Program B #1 and end up there, Program A's likely going to notice you lied when you don't end up on their list. Program Directors have the ability to look up where everyone on their rank list winds up, I believe. And maybe they won't care, but maybe three years from now you'll apply for a job or fellowship affiliated with Program A and they might remember "the kid we really liked a few years ago until he lied to us." Ethical implications about honesty aside, I wouldn't take that chance if it were me.

This. It's not worth it to me. Plus, I'd just personally feel scummy by blatantly lying.

I guess what my question really boils down to which of these is the better option:
A) send an email to my top programs stating "highly" or "top of my list" with sincerity, of course
B) don't send anything at all

I honestly would be ecstatic to match in any one of my top 5 and genuinely would like for them to know that. I am actually inclined to send them an email being completely and utterly honest, i.e., "you are my #3 out of the N programs I interviewed and I would be honored to train at ____." But it seems pretty clear that something like that would simply be too ridiculous and it's much better if we continue to play games.

And I also realize that it's very likely that none of this matters, that even if I did lie and say "#1" to all my programs it likely won't change my rank. But the possibility that it can, though small, is undeniable, especially given the fact that I've heard it directly from several PDs on the trail.

Last edited:
This. It's not worth it to me. Plus, I'd just personally feel like a scummy rat by blatantly lying.

I guess what my question really boils down to which of these is the better option:
A) send an email to my top programs stating "highly" or "top of my list" with sincerity, of course
B) don't send anything at all

I honestly would be ecstatic to match in any one of my top 5 and genuinely would like for them to know that. I am actually inclined to send them an email being completely and utterly honest, i.e., "you are my #3 out of the N programs I interviewed and I would be honored to train at ____." But it seems pretty clear that something like that would simply be too ridiculous and it's much better if we continue to play games.

And I also realize that it's very likely that none of this matters, that even if I did lie and say "#1" to all my programs it likely won't change my rank. But the possibility that it can, though small, is undeniable, especially given the fact that I've heard it directly from several PDs on the trail.

#1 email only at most, if the #1 email already has such a small/no effect, you can imagine how big a deal the rest would be. Any email besides "#1" has risk because programs are picky, and statistically to them there's not even a high chance you'll end up at your #3 if they cared about that kind of stuff. Also, while you might be honest, you can technically send #2 letters or "highly rank" to every one of your programs #2-14 and not get caught, and many do.

I know this is all getting ridiculous.

/thread

Regardless, you do whatever you feel is best. There's no right answer here, and it's unclear how much effect, if any, it has. At my program it has no effect. Others may differ. For competitive fields / programs where all interviewed candidates look like superstars, it might have a bigger effect.

The only wrong answer, IMHO, is telling everyone that they are #1. I shouldn't have to explain why this is wrong, it should be obvious. Don't be that person.

Reactions: 2 users

They get a list of where the people on their match list end up

They get a list of where the people on their match list end up

Your profile gif is amazing.

But regarding the thread, I appreciate everyone's advice. I will email my #1. As far as emailing "highly" to the others at the top of my list, like many other aspects in this process, it appears that the consensus is that it will either be slightly beneficial, moderately damaging or most likely, have absolutely no effect at all. Thus, it is likely that I will begrudgingly forego any further communication with the others at the top of my list.

When is the "deadline" to send a letter of intent? Can I send it before the end of this week and still have it make an "effect?" lol

Your profile gif is amazing.

But regarding the thread, I appreciate everyone's advice. I will email my #1. As far as emailing "highly" to the others at the top of my list, like many other aspects in this process, it appears that the consensus is that it will either be slightly beneficial, moderately damaging or most likely, have absolutely no effect at all. Thus, it is likely that I will begrudgingly forego any further communication with the others at the top of my list.

I stole it from dr. pardi
It's my point of view in the ORs