pharmaz88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Here's an I.D. (admittedly my weak spot) question for you all...

Are there any new indications for using Levaquin twice daily?
Lexi, F&C, and the PPI don't mention any (in adult patients), but
I've seen 2 Rx's in the last few weeks written this way.

On both, I called the prescriber to verify the dosing, and they
changed to QD dosing. ...but, I just want to make sure I'm not
missing something here.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
It would not be out of question to dose Levofloxacin Q12H for Pneumonia if it's dosed at 250mg or 500mg.. t1/2 for Levo isn't quite long enough to call it a true QD antibiotic.. hence the poplularity of 750mg dosing.

The QD dosing was a marketing ploy to gain advantage over Cipro during the early years.

You may want to look up some European studies with Levo BID dosing..

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
the serum kinetics demonstrated that following single dose administration, the levofloxacin was nearly undetectable after 12 h. Therefore, the once per day dosing schedule of the levofloxacin rabbit group may have not been sufficient to maintain bactericidal concentrations within the infected tibias of rabbits.

Huh, interesting.

Any studies done in humans? I really don't know how well rabits' data extrapolate to humans. Maybe the p'kinetics are very close??
yeah..look at the package insert... Levaquin level post 12h in human was low... why do you think out of the blue Levaquin 750mg gained poplularity? Because 500mg Q24h wasn't cutting it... Don't you know this stuff??? :smuggrin:

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Same thing with Lantus. Suppose to be once daily and works well once daily for most people. However its half life can mean bid dosing for a lot of people.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yeah..look at the package insert... Levaquin level post 12h in human was low... why do you think out of the blue Levaquin 750mg gained poplularity? Because 500mg Q24h wasn't cutting it... Don't you know this stuff??? :smuggrin:
I thought that was also due to rising MIC values against levofloxacin.

Aren't the quinolones dose-dependant killers anyways? The half life of aminoglycosides leads to undetectable levels with extended-interval pulses, but they're still effective when used that way.

(I'm not arguing that twice-daily is a bad thing, just wondering aloud).

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I thought that was also due to rising MIC values against levofloxacin.

Aren't the quinolones dose-dependant killers anyways? The half life of aminoglycosides leads to undetectable levels with extended-interval pulses, but they're still effective when used that way.

(I'm not arguing that twice-daily is a bad thing, just wondering aloud).

You're not wrong. And it works for AG because of post antibiotic effect which FQ exhibits also. Dose dependency is important yet MIC plays a role in bacteriocidal effect. Hence when Levo is below MIC for such a long extended period (12h +), clinical efficacy is questionable.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Are there any new indications for using Levaquin twice daily?
Lexi, F&C, and the PPI don't mention any (in adult patients), but
I've seen 2 Rx's in the last few weeks written this way.
This is probably most likely due to physicians used to writing Cipro BID.... not because they feel Levaquin should be dosed BID. Not too many physicians are aware of quinolone PK to that detail. Of course some ID physicians are.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
ID be easy yo. Know your classes and then know your drugs. Then match it up with what it kills... We're talking about 10 classes and 30 antibiotics... and about 20 bugs...

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
....coming from master wushu, 6th degree black belt ID sensei

I bet you even know what the Chinese characters on Sanford mean :smuggrin:
never noticed... haven't used Sanford in years..

Like today for example, we had a CF kid (with a really, really bad attitude) admitted for hemoptysis (hates taking his vitamins with the most important of them all....K). Turns out he also was growing some staph so they started him on vanco and gent. Then the ID doc decides to d/c vanco and just keep gent on board. And we're all wondering WTH
Maybe it was either C-MRSA or MSSA susceptible to gent. Then again for a CF kid, I would have opted for Tobra yet I do not know your institution's antibiogram.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
And I will go out on the limb and say pharmacoeconomics of ID is my forte including the cost.. I have most of the Abx cost memorized.. not intentionally..

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Levaquin q12h...pssh...I doubt that its intentional...

Hypothetically, it could be legit, but its probably a case of them being confused.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
And I will go out on the limb and say pharmacoeconomics of ID is my forte including the cost.. I have most of the Abx cost memorized.. not intentionally..
I've somehow gotten really good at electrolytes/metabolic pharmacology. I have no idea why I think its interesting...

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I've somehow gotten really good at electrolytes/metabolic pharmacology. I have no idea why I think its interesting...

Nice..but that don't pay the bills yo...

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Really?? what do you use then? The other reference I like is the john hopkins abx guide

Anyway, yea, it was gent sensitive. But monotherapy?? I thought that was only for UTIs.

I refer to IDSA guidelines. I suggest you familiarize yourself with it.

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=9088

BTW... nothing wrong with monotherapy for Staph.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Nice..but that don't pay the bills yo...
Yeah...but sitting in the IV room mixing together calcium and phosphate solutions is fun...

The renal docs hate me though. Because I actually notice when they **** up. Haha.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah...but sitting in the IV room mixing together calcium and phosphate solutions is fun...

LOL... put it in a syringe and make white emulsion!

Why you mixing IVs.. not that there's anything wrong with that.

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
ID be easy yo. Know your classes and then know your drugs. Then match it up with what it kills... We're talking about 10 classes and 30 antibiotics... and about 20 bugs...
Shhhh! Don't give away the secret. I want a job a year from now.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Why have a surgery that can leave a permanent scar?

Why amputate that can leave you limbless?

Why risk C-Difficile by taking Abx that can make you blast your colon off?

Why why why?

Risk vs. Benefit. Aminoglycoside requires that analysis. I've dosed hundreds ..maybe thousands of patients with Gent and Tobra.. Only saw a handful of transient renal episodes..but never ototoxicity.

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha.....doing a some quick google searches I stumbled on this website

http://www.gentamicin.com/CM/Custom/For-Physicians-Pharmacists.asp

It's a lawyer writing a letter to "pharmacists and physicians" about the dangers of getting sued your ass off for using gent.

Z, I think he's bringing your pharmacoeconomics of ID skills into question:

Gentamicin is inexpensive. The cost-containment folks love it. Why use gentamicin, with its well-known, permanent side effects, when a different, albeit more expensive antibiotic would suffice? Is the risk of gentamicin therapy outweighed by the benefit? A few hundred dollars savings to the patient’s healthcare insurer could cost your malpractice carrier millions.

Freakin golden!:thumbup:

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Shhhh! Don't give away the secret. I want a job a year from now.

You doing ID fellowship? If so, you aint got nothing to worry about ..

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Z, screw your advice, Keith S. Douglas J.D. knows what's up.

Hell, I'll be recommending Zyvox, Avelox, Tygacil to everyone

Zyvox can cause myelosuppression..and/or Serotonin syndrome

Avelox may cause permanent hepatic injury..

Tygacil causes nasty nausea..

Keith S. Douglas, J.D. will come and sue you for using above 3 drugs..

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hell, I'll be recommending Zyvox, Avelox, Tygacil to everyone

Too bad above combo can't treat simple Pseudomonal UTI...

Uh-oh..watch out...Keith S. Douglas, J.D. at your door with a subpeona!

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I don't know, I don't think I'd consider gardening as a non-strenuous activity.

I'm sure there's case reports but it's still very, very, very rare.
quinlone induced ruptured tendon is more common than we think..I think..

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I don't know, I don't think I'd consider gardening as a non-strenuous activity.

I'm sure there's case reports but it's still very, very, very rare.
Those would have to be some nasty weeds to pop a tendon pulling them out.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Why you mixing IVs.. not that there's anything wrong with that.
Nah, just bored. Between 1-5:30 we have 4-5 pharmacists around. When it isn't crazy, the 1-11 RPh (me) tends to do nothing. Then from 5:30-11, I work harder than anyone else has all day, so it equals out.

Since we're talking about random ****....today a surgeon called and asked me for a beta blocker that didn't reduce blood pressure for tachycardia. I wuz like, "Wahhhhh?" He then asked fro Inderal and I gave it to him...so WTF was he talking about? Or is this more crazy hill person medicine?

Critical care **** is what I'm going to start expanding on myself...

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status
Pharmacist
Nah, just bored. Between 1-5:30 we have 4-5 pharmacists around. When it isn't crazy, the 1-11 RPh (me) tends to do nothing. Then from 5:30-11, I work harder than anyone else has all day, so it equals out.

Since we're talking about random ****....today a surgeon called and asked me for a beta blocker that didn't reduce blood pressure for tachycardia. I wuz like, "Wahhhhh?" He then asked fro Inderal and I gave it to him...so WTF was he talking about? Or is this more crazy hill person medicine?

If I remember right our cardiothoracic surgery/transplant pharmacist mentioned he needed that once for some odd thing, I think it was d/t respiratory depression in a post-transplant pt that was tachy, but I wouldn't swear to it.

IWantTheGenetic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Did the patient have HTN? The usual doses of beta-blockers won't cause hypotension in patients with normal blood pressures but will cause slowed HR.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Did the patient have HTN? The usual doses of beta-blockers won't cause hypotension in patients with normal blood pressures but will cause slowed HR.
Yeah...well I told the dude I had lopressor iv at first and he said he "no, no, I need something that doesn't reduce pressure." And then I was like :confused:.

I seriously have no idea what he's talking about...and I'd like to know...

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist

isn't esmolol better for rate control than BP? And it's quick on/off titratability.

I looked it up. I was right - only at higher doses does esmolol affect BP.
Per epocrates:
for intraop/postop htn/tachycardia:
load 80 mg IV over 30 seconds, then 150 mcg/kg/min, can increase in 50 mcg/kg/min increments. BP Control may ned 250-300 mcg/kg/min.

Last edited:
OP
P

pharmaz88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thanks for the replies, people. I kinda' figured that the prescribers were thinking Cipro's BID dosing when writing the Rx's.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
isn't esmolol better for rate control than BP? And it's quick on/off titratability.

Per epocrates:
load 80 mg IV over 30 seconds, then 150 mcg/kg/min, can increase in 50 mcg/kg/min increments. BP Control may ned 250-300 mcg/kg/min.
Instant BAN for referencing epocrates... you should know better :mad:

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Per epocrates:
If the patient wasn't in a unit, the titration part could be an issue.

bigpharmD

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2007
Sunny
Status
Pre-Optometry
No sure if any of you turkey's said this because I am not gonna read all of the posts but we use BID in CF patients (500 mg BID) there is a study that shows this is best.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
No sure if any of you turkey's said this because I am not gonna read all of the posts but we use BID in CF patients (500 mg BID) there is a study that shows this is best.
shut up fool