Life in St. Kitts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseKrazy23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I am a student applying for the May term at Ross and I was wondering if someone could possibly respond with some insight on details for life in St. Kitts as a Ross student

Things such as:

How do we stay in contact with family/friends with no cell service
Sending care packages and shipping costs
How do we get our clothes there not costing an arm and a leg
What do they do in case of a hurricane/ what does Ross do for students
Normal Prices on Flights and when students typically go home for visits
Prices on Grocery Store things such as (Food, bathing products such as shampoo) I heard there's no peanut butter!? lol
Normal prices on rent and electric once you have to move from student housing
Should you invest in an island car or are there bikes to get too and from
Is it hard to bring your dog over from the U.S and is it hard to find a place to live with them?
Crime and how to prevent that
Is there a gym?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys! I am a student applying for the May term at Ross and I was wondering if someone could possibly respond with some insight on details for life in St. Kitts as a Ross student

Things such as:

Prices on Grocery Store things such as (Food, bathing products such as shampoo) I heard there's no peanut butter!? lol
Is it hard to bring your dog over from the U.S and is it hard to find a place to live with them?
Is there a gym?

1) Most of us use apps that work over wifi, which you'll have on campus/dorms/wherever you live off campus. My fiancé and I personally use Facebook messenger and lots and lots of facetiming. Other people use apps like Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, etc. Its really not hard to stay in touch. If you have friends/family that are tech challenged, there are free phones in the student union that call from a New Jersey number so it's free for both parties.

2) Not sure if you mean sending from the island or sending from the US. It's extremely costly to send packages to St Kitts from the states. Like $60US for a small box (plus whatever the contents inside cost!) Plus depending on the contents inside, customs may charge you money just to pick the package up. I haven't sent anything other than mail from the island so I can't provide info on that.

3) I brought the bare minimum of clothes my first semester, and I packed efficiently. I brought everything with me that I needed in 2 large suitcases, a carryon, and a bookbag. Vaccuum sealed bags become your friend! Then when I went home over break, I brought a lot more clothes back with me. Now that I'm getting ready to leave the island soon, I'm regretting bringing so many clothes down here lol

4) You'll be educated about hurricane preparedness during orientation. But truth be told St. Kitts hasn't been hit by a major hurrican in over a decade. If you live off campus in an area that is low laying or don't feel safe, there are people that volunteer to house students in the event of a hurricane...you'd most likely go to higher ground or the dorms.

5)Prices really depend on where you live, if you're willing to have a layover, etc. I always buy my tickets round trip and from St. Kitts to Ohio and back I've paid anywhere from $800-$1200. The lower end I normally ended up having to stay overnight in a hotel for a layover, the higher end got me home in one day. You just have to keep your eyes peeled for when flights go on sale but honestly, American Airlines (the major airline from the US to St. Kitts) knows when students leave and come back to the island and they inflate prices accordingly. It really sucks but there's nothing you can do about it. Set up price alerts on Kayak or other flight monitoring websites that will tell you when prices drop for the days you want to travel. Most people only go home during the breaks at the end of the semester, so in April, August, and December. There's just no other time to do it during the semester, although some people go home during mid semester break (which is only ONE day).

6) Food and bathing products are more expensive. Pretty much everything is expensive, in general the cost of living is a lot higher here. Keep in mind that most things are imported. You can find some produce/meat for closer to normal prices at the farmer's markets (both on campus and in town) but yeah everything is probably $1-3 dollars more expensive here. Shampoo and personal hygiene items I especially try and bring back with me when I go home. And of course there is peanut butter here...I wouldn't be able to survive without it! Honestly most things you would find at the grocery store in the states you can find here, it's just going to be more expensive and you may have to go to three grocery stores before you find it.

7) Rent I've seen anywhere from $500USD/month up to like $1200/month. It really depends what kind of amenities you want, what's included (electric, cable, water, etc) and proximity to campus. Electric = super expensive. Be prepared for that...fans are your friend. I live on the ground floor and have acclimated to sleeping with no AC and just an overhead fan but I think I may be an exeption. My roomies on the top floor absolutely need the AC on at night but they also have dogs with long hair they need to think of. A lot of people will run their AC for an hour before bed with their door closed and then turn it off before they fall asleep. Most of the AC here are window units, no central air.

8)Definitely invest in a car. There are a few bikers, but really I would only recommend it if you are a very experienced biker. The driving here is erratic, roads have potholes a lot of times, it rains a lot...you really just want to have a reliable car. Some people do get mopeds/scooters and my old neighbor even drove an ATV to school :)

9) Nope, not hard to bring your dog to the island and definitely not hard to find a place to live with them. Most landlords that are "Ross approved" are fully aware their tenants are vet students and expect you to have animals.

10) As far as crime...don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Seriously. It's just like the US, there is crime everywhere. A lot of the incident reports we receive say things like "student left their car door unlocked" or "student left window unlocked overnight" etc. You'd think being in a professional program more people would have common sense but apparently not! There are safer areas and less safe areas, and areas that are targeted more than others. Of course there are the rare incidents that cannot be avoided at all because there are just a handful of crappy people here but for the most part if you're smart and know what to look out for it'll be ok.

11) Yes there is a gym! Maybe by the time you get here they'll have the AC fixed ;)

If you have any other questions feel free to post them or even just PM me. I've lived here for over 2 years now so I've got island living down to a science :)

Reactions: 3 users
Ahh!! This I everything I have ever wanted to know!!:banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
9) Nope, not hard to bring your dog to the island and definitely not hard to find a place to live with them. Most landlords that are "Ross approved" are fully aware their tenants are vet students and expect you to have animals

I'm assuming that people normally just bring their dogs on planes. Do you ever hear any complications with people flying with their dogs? I have a pitbull who definitely would have to go in the cargo hold, but he is scared of his own shadow and I'm afraid that the flight might scare him to death! I'd have a place for him to stay back in Louisiana, I'd make sure of that, but it'd be great to take him.

I'm assuming that people normally just bring their dogs on planes. Do you ever hear any complications with people flying with their dogs? I have a pitbull who definitely would have to go in the cargo hold, but he is scared of his own shadow and I'm afraid that the flight might scare him to death! I'd have a place for him to stay back in Louisiana, I'd make sure of that, but it'd be great to take him.
So a big complication (really the only one I've heard of) has to do with the temperature. If your dog had to fly cargo, and the temp in Miami or wherever you were flying to was above or below a certain number, your dog would not be allowed to fly. One of my good friends was leaving the island for good in....April? I think. And at the last second they updated the current temp in Miami and it was too hot for her dog to fly. She obviously wasn't about to forfeit her plane ticket so she had to scramble and find someone still on island to come get her dog from the airport while she continued on to America and then deal with finding someone else to bring the dog home on a day when the temperature was cooler. It's frustrating but it's actually a good thing. You wouldn't want your dog sitting in cargo on the Tarmac in Miami in hot temps right?

I really wish it was an option to fly my one dog as a carry on! She's a whopping 7 lbs!. :/

You can risk calling your put something else to get it I to the country some people are wise to this, but we had students that had it work for them

You can risk calling your put something else to get it I to the country some people are wise to this, but we had students that had it work for them

Last edited:
I really think I could get away with calling him a lab mix. Some people think he is because his ears are not trimmed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 95
I really think I could get away with calling him a lab mix. Some people think he is because his ears are not trimmed.
I think it's unlikely anyone would challenges you, but it is up to you to decide whether or not it's a risk you are willing to accept. I know in grenada, if they deny a pet entry for any reason, they are transported directly to the teaching hospital and isolated until they can be shipped out of the country. I know several people who had pits and mixes in country no issues no fuss ever, but there is a small risk

I don't know if any applicants got the email, but Ross is hosting a informational webinar for applicants Tuesday night 6-7 PM CST. You can go on the Ross.edu site to join it.

OK, SO....

A- There is wifi almost everywhere! So you can imessage and facetime anyone who has an iphone or ipad, skype them, some people download whatsapp which is a free texting app to anyone with the app, or a magic jack app for calling. There are also free phones to use in the student union that I occasionally call home on. I have found it very easy to stay connected.

A- Its expensive. Takes 10 days plus to arrive and DHL seems to be the cheapest shipper but still upwards of $20 for even a small package.

A- Depending where you're coming from it might be worth it to buy a 1st class ticket because you get 3 free bags. I was coming from the east coast so when calculated it was cheaper for me to pay for 3 checked bags. I did not have a problem getting all my stuff down here that way (and I was living off campus so I brought house wares too) but some people will also ship a barrel.

A- Its been something like 7 years since a hurricane really hit the island - even with the big one that hit dominca we just had rain for like two days. Ross does have emergency protocols in place to keep us all safe tho.

A - Depends where you're coming from - coming from the mid atlantic mine have been around $700 round trip each time. Most students go home every break. Some stay on island for breaks as they desire.

A- Everything you have heard is basically overdramatized. Once you know what days what stores get shipments in there is nothing you won't be able to find on the island. Literally nothing. That being said if you want a grapefruit and you go to the store a day before they get their shipment they will be out of them. Food IS generally more expensive but its nothing crazy. To me its like buying stuff at full price ALL the time - like a grocery store at home where NOTHING is ever on sale.

A - Depends where you live and how you live. I have one roommate in a 3 br house and its $550 US rent for each of us and electric is about $50 a month. If you want to live on your own OR closer to the touristy/fancy/party areas it will be $700+ and electric costs more in that area as well.

A- If you live close to school its not necessary but you probably will still want to do so unless you're used to not having your own car. I live walking distance to campus and halfway thru 1st semester I bought a car because I needed the freedom to not rely on others or taxis (which are sometimes late or occasionally forget you altogether) for errands.

A - No its not hard but it is costly. The rabies titres needed are expensive. Find a vet in your area that is accustomed to doing international health certificates and let them do all the hard work for you - a vet with lots of show dog clientele will be familiar with this. Lost of places to rent down here are pet friendly but most do require a pet deposit.

A - I live in a very "local" neighborhood (my house is the only students in our area) and we have ZERO crime. If you are smart and keep things locked, don't walk alone at night, etc you will be fine. I went to college in an extremely high crime area and I feel there is less crime here than there was there and if you are smart it will not affect you at all.

Is there a gym?
A - Yes, on campus. A few cardio and weight machines, free weights, and an open floor area.

Reactions: 1 users