This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm considering applying to PCCM fellowship as critical care was my favorite month during PGY1 (back in early Feb, before all this COVID craziness), also enjoyed my pulmonary elective. Whats the lifestyle and job market like these days? Would you do it over again if you had a choice again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jobs are plentiful (enormous shortage of pulnonologists and most smaller hospitals are thrilled to death to recruit one) and as a result can usually find a job that fits the hours you want. If you like shift work and on/off weeks ccm allows for that. More office based 9-4 work is pulm centric or a mix of both. Call and nights are definitely more common than in other office based specialties because of bundled ICU coverage but by no means required everywhere.

Biggest $$ bang for your time is still gi/cards (precovid) but if you like general IM, want to still care outside of a specific organ system, ok with procedures, and like sick patients pulm/ccm is a good choice.

Reactions: 3 users
but if you like general IM, want to still care outside of a specific organ system, ok with procedures, and like sick patients pulm/ccm is a good choice.

As an incoming applicant for this fellowship application cycle I love hearing this, as these are all the things that I actually enjoy about IM and the ICU.