Listing Activities on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just curious how to list certain things? I understand we get ten - fifteen slots and three can be most meaningful.

Organic research - did it for a bit, had a thesis, defended it and presented at multiple conferences and received several research grants. Should these be listed as separate entries? I dont want it to seem like I'm trying to use up my spots with fluff.

VP of a club for two years, organized a fundraiser and showed some young children how to do experiments.

Clinical research of multiple studies, each site was a different study so should each study be listed separately?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get 15 slots. IMHO, at least one slot should be labeled research. at least one should be non-clinical volunteering, at least one should be clinical and if the clinical one is not shadowing, using one slot for shadowing is a good idea. These need not be your "most meaningful".

Was the clinical research paid? Was in on the same payroll but different projects at different sites? Was it serial as you cycled through different employers and different projects and locations? You are not obligated to list everything that you have ever done so you can be parsimonious.

If you are gunning for admission to top research schools, then listing your presentation or publication separately so it is easy to notice would be a good idea. You could fold the funding into the description of the organic research.

being VP of a club can be labeled leadership... it is a tag that doesn't get a lot of traction at my school but you might want to focus not on being a leader but on leading a team. Fund-raising is nice but not as valued as community service.

Reactions: 1 users
@LizzyM Thank you for responding. Basically, the clinical research is divided into two sites. One of them was paid clinical research which I'm Currently doing and have been doing for a while now. The second is clinical volunteering that I basically did at the same site, where I was touching patients, and was close enough to "smell" then. The third is basically at a different site where it was only clinical research, but I was still seeing patients. I have shadowing as a separate thing, because I've been on this site long enough to know that shadowing is not clinical experience. I am not trying to get into top research schools, but would just like an MD or DO school.

I wanted to highlight the presentations and the defense of my undergraduate thesis because to me, that is something that was very meaningful. I was going to highlight ONE national presentations as separate...

Do you think this is a good idea?

1. employment, clinical research
2. volunteer clinical (same location as #1)
3. research, with patients, volunteer, (could be tagged as clinical volunteering or as research -- applicant's choice)
4. shadowing
5. presentation of research at a meeting
6. thesis (might be "other" unless it was published in which case it is publication)
7. research on which 5 and 6 are based

ok. so that still leaves you with 8 open slots for non-clinical voluneering with kids, leadership in a club, and maybe the fundraising.

Add in something you do for fun either artistic, athletic or a hobby.

1. employment, clinical research
2. volunteer clinical (same location as #1)
3. research, with patients, volunteer, (could be tagged as clinical volunteering or as research -- applicant's choice)
4. shadowing
5. presentation of research at a meeting
6. thesis (might be "other" unless it was published in which case it is publication)
7. research on which 5 and 6 are based

ok. so that still leaves you with 8 open slots for non-clinical voluneering with kids, leadership in a club, and maybe the fundraising.

Add in something you do for fun either artistic, athletic or a hobby.

Wow!!! Thanks @LizzyM !! Thesis was not published, but it counts as its own slot?! How many hobbies/fun stuff would you recommend to dedicate to a spot?

Have at least one slot devoted to something fun. You can put several things in one slot or group some and break one out for special notice.