LMU-DCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my boys and I are sitting outside ER (where my wife is an RN) in Greene County (70 miles) waiting for Helicoptor to land at our feet.:D
Out comes a lady with her meds, and by meds I mean 4...I repeat four different bags connected to her IV,:eek: and proceeds to ask me if I smoke. No, I'm just waiting for the helicoptor! Since the Hospitol campus is smoke free those who do smoke are standing across the parking lot, which I tell her. Sure as s.... she trek's over parking lot barefoot and dragging her med's to bum a smoke, oh and she does get one. People are freindly here.:laugh:

Get ready folks. You've likely not seen anything like the people (rural) of East TN.

It's a very sad state of affairs.:(

Members don't see this ad.

LOL! Nice story! Well I love the people here. A lot of my family is from Virginia and so everyone sounds like most of my relatives. I can't wait to get rid of this New York accent. :laugh: You definitely have some people that are serious about their tobacco down here though. I heard that they are making restaurants non-smoking in the near future. New York is really anti-tobacco, so that has been an adjustment. I do love a good redneck story though, but it is all in good fun. I really do love the people here and feel right at home. I think it must be genetic for me because even though I grew up in New York, I was born in Virginia and my DNA is 100% Appalachian. :D:thumbup: I guess what I am trying to say is that I am genetically a redneck, so I fit right in and I am loving it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :biglove:

When I came to Greene county in 2005, I remember my first Taco bell run.

This pretty young blond (early 20's) took my order ...and :eek::eek::eek::eek: WOWAHH
half her teeth where rotted right out of her mouth. I am not kidding, she must have had 4 or 5 teeth that had rotted in half, I mean vertically not worn down. Just a bunch of thin "toothpick" looking things.:scared::eek::scared::eek:

But, I love it here just the same.

We live on the Nolichucky and go canoeing/swinging at the river all the time.:laugh::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, sorry did I bring everyone down with my "toothless" wonder story ??:(:rolleyes:

East TN is great... really:D.
Lots of rivers/lakes and cheap golf courses.
Beutiful views.

FYI If anyone goes by school make sure you sneak up on 2nd floor and check out the view from our "break" area. It's very nice.:love::love::love:

OK, sorry did I bring everyone down with my "toothless" wonder story ??:(:rolleyes:

East TN is great... really:D.
Lots of rivers/lakes and cheap golf courses.
Beutiful views.

FYI If anyone goes by school make sure you sneak up on 2nd floor and check out the view from our "break" area. It's very nice.:love::love::love:

I guess everyone is enjoying the weekend! :)

...just got back from austin.

so here is the latest and greatest on the house:

am renting a 3 bedroom house. I want to rent 1/2 the house for $550 and split the utilities. This includes a 13.5 x 10 bedroom, full kitchen with microwave and dishwasher,a large living room with a fireplace. U will also get your own large bathroom. There is an elevated deck that u can access directly from your room. It overlooks a beautiful wooded area. The house is in the most beautiful area of Harrogate. It is just 5 minutes from the school. and even closer to the park that surrounds the school.

I will be bringing some furniture (dining room table and chairs, couch, tables and flat screen TV). U will also get to park your car in a garage. Do u really want to leave your car outside all year? I understand that it is a little bit more than the dorm, but u get a lot more for that money.

But the delivery was lacking...hmm

Just kidding.:cool::D

Hope you get someone soon.

PS Anybody plan to pay for tuition with Credit Card ? I know it sounds a little off.... But with a United Visa I can get alot of miles that way.:idea:
Can you say "Free trip" to somewhere warm during med school.:laugh:

How is everyone...I've been out of town for the past week. Got home Saturday and found my garage flooded and all of our boxes for packing ruined. Ended up being a bad day, so we're going to Tulsa today to get some more and start this packing crap. 13 more days until we move...gettin a little excited about it. I've never thought of using a credit card to pay tuition, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea @ all if the loan money is already in...I'm going to look into it a little bit more today. Good to be back!

PS Anybody plan to pay for tuition with Credit Card ? I know it sounds a little off.... But with a United Visa I can get alot of miles that way.:idea:
Hmmm... good idea, I wonder how much interest it would end up being (depending on the card), either way, probably cheaper than a flight!

I wish my credit was good enough for a $30,000 limit.

I wish my credit was good enough for a $30,000 limit.

That's the key, along with having the income to get approved for it. Or a good trust fund :laugh:

But if I could do it, I'd do it in a heart beat. I'd be back in hawaii a couple of times!!! It's definitely worth looking into though.

My wife and I got our new cars on Saturday. We love them!!! I will post pictures later tonight so you all can check 'em out.

Are we allowed to pay part/all of the tuition with credit? I was trying to find the answer online, but couldn't locate it.

I tried paying the $2000 matriculation fee on credit, and they said they wouldn't allow credit cards (could be only for that...).

Are we allowed to pay part/all of the tuition with credit? I was trying to find the answer online, but couldn't locate it.

I tried paying the $2000 matriculation fee on credit, and they said they wouldn't allow credit cards (could be only for that...).

I believe that is only for the matriculation fee. As for everything else, I would imagine they would take a credit card.

Thinking about it, one would only need a limit of $15,000 since tuition is split between semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack ... I know I'm not a part of your school or whatnot.

I highly doubt you can use a CC to pay your tuition, unless this school happens to be the DO version of Stewart University -- where apparently they take payment via CC/PayPal!

Usually deposit/matriculation fees go in as part of tuition. So, you already have the said amount paid, and if those couldn't be paid through CC, neither will the tuition amount.

Sorry to hijack ... I know I'm not a part of your school or whatnot.

I highly doubt you can use a CC to pay your tuition, unless this school happens to be the DO version of Stewart University -- where apparently they take payment via CC/PayPal!

Usually deposit/matriculation fees go in as part of tuition. So, you already have the said amount paid, and if those couldn't be paid through CC, neither will the tuition amount.

IT would probably negate the points used, but I know I could get Money Orders from my old CC, but they charged a percentage fee - which would add up for the $15000 price tag. I also wouldn't go to Wal-Mart to fill it out either :laugh:

No paying with Credit Cards. I was hoping to do the same thing and get a ton of airline miles. I got a letter a few days ago from DCOM saying that credit cards were not accepted, and if you want to pay with a personal check they have to have it by July 18th.

No paying with Credit Cards. I was hoping to do the same thing and get a ton of airline miles. I got a letter a few days ago from DCOM saying that credit cards were not accepted, and if you want to pay with a personal check they have to have it by July 18th.

yea....check's in the mail....

I've been thinking about all this credit card stuff and I don't think it would work b/c the money for tuition comes straight from the student loans and tutition gets taken out of the money each semester. After tuition is taken out, we are given a check or it is electronically deposited into an account for us, right? If this scenario is correct, we would never have the money in the first place to pay tuition since DCOM takes it out right away from the loans. Please let me know if I have this wrong.

Also, attached are pictures of our new cars! I got a 2007 Chevy Impala SS (black) and my wife got a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer (Navy Blue). We absolutely love the cars and I can't wait to hit the open roads in TN. :biglove:

Attachments

• IMG_3689_mid.jpg
    IMG_3689_mid.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3690_mid.jpg
    IMG_3690_mid.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 101

I have not received a letter yet. What is it about?? What money has to be in by July 18th? Thanks

I've been thinking about all this credit card stuff and I don't think it would work b/c the money for tuition comes straight from the student loans and tutition gets taken out of the money each semester. After tuition is taken out, we are given a check or it is electronically deposited into an account for us, right? If this scenario is correct, we would never have the money in the first place to pay tuition since DCOM takes it out right away from the loans. Please let me know if I have this wrong.

Also, attached are pictures of our new cars! I got a 2007 Chevy Impala SS (black) and my wife got a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer (Navy Blue). We absolutely love the cars and I can't wait to hit the open roads in TN. :biglove:

If you two can swing the two brand new cars, maybe I should quit being such a ninny and go get the Cobalt I've had my eye on! :)

Boat, that is. The only thing worth putting Chevy power in. ;)

I have not received a letter yet. What is it about?? What money has to be in by July 18th? Thanks

Here is the important part of the letter(i.e. the part in bold):

Fall tuition must be paid by August 1. Payment on that date must be in the form of cash, cashiers check, or money order. We do not accept personal checks or debit/credit cards in payment of tuition on that date. If you wish to pay your tuition by personal check, it must be recieved in the Bursar's Office by July 18, which is 10 business days prior to August 1. Since you have already paid a $2,000 depost, the amount due on your tuition for the fall semester is $13,000. All other charges should be paid on August 1, but no later than August 3.

And in related news...I think I'm going to go buy a car today, too. hell yea

Here is the important part of the letter(i.e. the part in bold):

Fall tuition must be paid by August 1. Payment on that date must be in the form of cash, cashiers check, or money order. We do not accept personal checks or debit/credit cards in payment of tuition on that date. If you wish to pay your tuition by personal check, it must be recieved in the Bursar's Office by July 18, which is 10 business days prior to August 1. Since you have already paid a $2,000 depost, the amount due on your tuition for the fall semester is $13,000. All other charges should be paid on August 1, but no later than August 3.

And in related news...I think I'm going to go buy a car today, too. hell yea

Couple of questions:

1) When did you get this letter? I have not received it. Anyone else?
2) How the hell are we supposed to pull $15,000 out of our asses to pay for tuition, then another $1,000 for books, another $2,000 for supplies, etc. I just don't have $20,000 sitting around burning a hole in my wallet before student loans.
3) Have you called Pat Peace about this letter?

Something doesn't sound right here :confused:

Congrats on the future car purchase. Nothing like a new car :banana: :banana: :banana:

I cannot figure out how we are supposed to pay this money out of pocket before we get there and have our student loans.

I still have not received a letter from DCOM, but am very curious how they expect us to have that money to front. How are the people that put the checks in the mail doing it???

I will email Pat and let you know what I find out.

Hey y'all, I have just moved to Cumberland Gap officially. I am back in my hometown for some birthday festivities :D, but should be back up there this weekend. If anyone is finding themselves bored in the interim before we start school, then give me a shout or stop by, we are just going to be painting, great fun. [email protected] I am in the Gap on Colwyn. Blue porch. can't miss it.

I cannot figure out how we are supposed to pay this money out of pocket before we get there and have our student loans.

I still have not received a letter from DCOM, but am very curious how they expect us to have that money to front. How are the people that put the checks in the mail doing it???

I will email Pat and let you know what I find out.

This is what I heard back from Pat Peace:

Those letters went out to students who had not completed the financial aid process or had not applied for financial aid at all. We wanted them to be sure they knew exactly when and how payment was to be made. For students who have financial aid equal to or in excess of tuition and fees, we will hold their tuition and fees until the funds arrive and take them out of the financial aid.

Hope that eases your minds -- it sure does for me!

This is what I heard back from Pat Peace:

Those letters went out to students who had not completed the financial aid process or had not applied for financial aid at all. We wanted them to be sure they knew exactly when and how payment was to be made. For students who have financial aid equal to or in excess of tuition and fees, we will hold their tuition and fees until the funds arrive and take them out of the financial aid.

Hope that eases your minds -- it sure does for me!

Good news for sure!!! No worries now. :cool:

nd,

Does your impala have the leather and everything? Those are pretty sweet. The lady that cuts my hair (what's left of it) just got one...

I think we'll probably have to get another car at some point, but we're going to try to make the 1999 Civic and 2001 F-150 work for now.

nd,

Does your impala have the leather and everything? Those are pretty sweet. The lady that cuts my hair (what's left of it) just got one...

I think we'll probably have to get another car at some point, but we're going to try to make the 1999 Civic and 2001 F-150 work for now.

I have my 2002 Toyota Tundra, and my wife just got a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. It is a pretty nice car, and the 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty isn't so bad either. I hope I can fit in in TN with my non-American cars :oops:

For all those living in the med appts.....
any idea of what you are able to fit into the one bedroom???
couch?
tv??
i can't believe there is no stove.

also, is there a list of supplies other than books that we will need come Aug. 3rd?

thanks

couch?
tv??

also, is there a list of supplies other than books that we will need come Aug. 3rd?

thanks

Wait no stove? I thought there was one?!? in regards to a couch in the bedroom that might take up a lot of space..but TV should be ok..the list of supplies you need to have are mentioned on the DCOM website. I believe they will be sold at dcom, so i suggest you to wait on them.

couch?
tv??

thanks

You won't be able to fit much. I would say that all the furniture in there is all you will be able to fit. It looks like there is a table to put a tv in front of your bed. I actually thought there were two little stove-top units as part of the counter...not really any counter space though. the one bedroom apts are pretty tiny and largely dominated by the bed.

hope this helps.

nd,

Yeah, I've got leather, sun roof, bose speaker system and 303 horsepower :D. It's a V8, but when at a constant speed or slowing down, it goes to 4 cylinders to conserve gas. I've gotten decent gas mileage so far, but it will be better once in TN. I love the car and am very happy with the purchase.

The cars we had before were just too risky to have while in TN. My truck had over 183,000 miles and my wife's car had over 135,000. They were in good shape and all, but you never know what can happen to 12 year old cars with that many miles on them.

For you guys wondering about the stoves in the student apartments, there is a small stove top in them. There is no oven, but your microwave functions as both a microwave and a convection oven. If you look at the attached picture , you can see the stove top to the right of the sink. The picture is of the 2 room layout, but it is the same for the 1 room.

As for supplies, they have said to wait until we get to school b/c we won't need them right away and they are supposed to have them at a decent price.

For you guys wondering about the stoves in the student apartments, there is a small stove top in them. There is no oven, but your microwave functions as both a microwave and a convection oven. If you look at the attached picture , you can see the stove top to the right of the sink. The picture is of the 2 room layout, but it is the same for the 1 room.

As for supplies, they have said to wait until we get to school b/c we won't need them right away and they are supposed to have them at a decent price.

I haven't purchased the panoptic, but all heart has a really good deal on them.

I haven't purchased the panoptic, but all heart has a really good deal on them.

well iam gonna wait till i get to school and compare school prices to see if the school prices are really a bargain or not.

I have my 2002 Toyota Tundra, and my wife just got a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. It is a pretty nice car, and the 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty isn't so bad either. I hope I can fit in in TN with my non-American cars :oops:

We can stand out together! I drive a Toyota too. :thumbup: :D

I drive a beat up jeep wrangler and probably will for another four years.. Unless of course I find me a sugar mama...lol kidding

Hey y'all, I have just moved to Cumberland Gap officially. I am back in my hometown for some birthday festivities :D, but should be back up there this weekend. If anyone is finding themselves bored in the interim before we start school, then give me a shout or stop by, we are just going to be painting, great fun. [email protected] I am in the Gap on Colwyn. Blue porch. can't miss it.

I hear that your are an ATC from MTSU, correct? Dr. Binkley and I give talks from time to time. Anyway, when I attended JFWA, I lived on Pennlyn Avenue in the Gap. Currently, I am the Sports Medicine Coordinator for Claiborne County Hospital. I can be reached at [email protected].

Ahh, a Jeep man. Me too. 75CJ-5. 33" tires, V-8. loves gas. Does anyone know where the emissions place is in Claiborne County for tags? this old monster wouldn't pass here in town...hahhahahaha. Hope to find some trails with you Jeep and offroaders soon. (as time allows)

Ahh, a Jeep man. Me too. 75CJ-5. 33" tires, V-8. loves gas. Does anyone know where the emissions place is in Claiborne County for tags? this old monster wouldn't pass here in town...hahhahahaha. Hope to find some trails with you Jeep and offroaders soon. (as time allows)
I'm in...I just got a Z71 Tahoe

Nice :thumbup: :clap: Add another Chevy to the lineup! What year?

:barf:Ford :smuggrin:

2003, with a 3 yr or 36k mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty

it looks brand new

hah, nice ford logo...i've been driving a mustang...i'm ready to be done with it. no pride taken in making that car.

I have always driven a Ford and always will. :laugh::love: Nice new cars everyone! I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer now and it REALLY loves gas. I am trying to find an old Ford farm truck to haul hay or whatever though, so maybe you will see me in some old, rusty, redneck truck soon. :lol: :biglove:

BTW, IT IS HOT DOWN HERE! :smuggrin:

I have always driven a Ford and always will. :laugh::love: Nice new cars everyone! I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer now and it REALLY loves gas. I am trying to find an old Ford farm truck to haul hay or whatever though, so maybe you will see me in some old, rusty, redneck truck soon. :lol: :biglove:

BTW, IT IS HOT DOWN HERE! :smuggrin:

It is hot! :cool: We've been trying to spend as much time at the lake as possible -so we went today but it was .~'`'~.Hot.~'`'~. I think the kids each drank 3 bottles of water. I could hear their stomachs sloshing. :laugh:

hello my fav people of SDN!!!:D
i was so buisy i wasn't here for weeks...so what did i miss?
anything exciting happening?

xo's

hello my fav people of SDN!!!:D
i was so buisy i wasn't here for weeks...so what did i miss?
anything exciting happening?

xo's

You didn't miss that much, but we missed you! Hope all is well! :biglove:

You didn't miss that much, but we missed you! Hope all is well! :biglove:

yeah all is well...i was buisy working, signed a contract with Miami agency and have some new pics:D
and i am about to lay an egg with the whole MCAT....:scared: 8 more daaaaayyyyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzz....eh.
At leasy i am already done with primaries...acctually they were already received by schools this monday. I even got the email from UNE asking where the hell is my MCAT and that i need to get biochem before marticulation in case i get in (which i think was a good sign...means they read my apps already:D). I have all but one LORs in the interfolio ready too.
And i am writing those secondary essays...the craziness have started:clap:

How are you loving your new house:)?

WHATS UP DO2BFROMTN?!!!! How ya been been brotha? You'll have to show me around TN like I did in San Antonio when you were here! I can't believe its almost time to meet everyone!

ON A SERIOUS NOTE! I need a jogging parter for the mornings! I like to jog early, before class starts! Anyone wanna join me? I can't wait to get out there and look for a nice jogging trail thru those hills!!!

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE!!! Did you guys get the email about the building not being completed til October!?!? WTF!!! Looks like we'll be having classes somewhere else for 2 months! How in the world do they expect for us to have anatomy lab?! CRAZY!

:smuggrin:

WHATS UP DO2BFROMTN?!!!! How ya been been brotha? You'll have to show me around TN like I did in San Antonio when you were here! I can't believe its almost time to meet everyone!

ON A SERIOUS NOTE! I need a jogging parter for the mornings! I like to jog early, before class starts! Anyone wanna join me? I can't wait to get out there and look for a nice jogging trail thru those hills!!!

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE!!! Did you guys get the email about the building not being completed til October!?!? WTF!!! Looks like we'll be having classes somewhere else for 2 months! How in the world do they expect for us to have anatomy lab?! CRAZY!

:smuggrin:

My ass is too lazy to jogg, i like lifting. You might wanna try asking jamie coz she runs marathons! Anyways good luck keeping your jogging habit in the mornings while i will be begging for every minute in the mornings to sleep a little longer.hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.