LMU-DCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As DocMom said, I believe the valley is considered to be along 63. I heard my realtor say this a couple of times before I figured it out. That is a beautiful drive and very easy. Just invest into a radar dectector b/c it is very easy to go 80 mph on 63 where the speed limit is 55.

Ah, good point. I do tend to drive a little fast but I blame that one on my mother! :lol: I just wish these guys would call me back.

just scanning the posts on this thread, it would seem that we have a plethora of rental options in the harrogate area.
rock on.
i cruised through town last week to check things out myself, and found what i deem to be the perfect 2 man med school get away.
the place was built 3 years ago, so it's an efficient, central heated/cooled no nonsense 2 bed 1 bath located just 4 minutes drive time from the school's parking lot (i timed it...)
personally, i'm a big fan of the converted hotel idea. the cost/benefit ratio of no taxes/bills/shenanigans seems to weigh in favor of those who take advantage of it.
that being said, i'm still sold on this house i've found, assuming i can convince one of you guys i'm not blowing smoke up yer hind ends :laugh:
in a nutshell, you'd save about $100 a month living with me, have significantly more room to yourself (especially if you already own your own furnishings), and enjoy tons more privacy.
i mean, come on, i'm sure i'm going to absolutely ADORE all my classmates, but after 16 hours of class/study a day, i just might want some down time away from the majority of the class!

let me know if you're interested at all!

-joe

Members don't see this ad :)
DocMom,

I just saw this article on msn.com about Lyme disease and thought you would like it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19229511/wid/11915773?GT1=10109

Thanks! I will check that out. I am definitely always interested in more Lyme disease info. :):thumbup:

We live off of 63 and it is a good road, but definitely easy to drive too fast. From my own experience and what everyone around here has told me, the only place you really have to worry about cops is in Lafollette. That is the only place that I have seen any along 63. :D

We are headed over to Harrogate tomorrow to start moving some things. I would love to meet any of you guys that are already in town.

Any advice on turning on utilities and things like that would be greatly appreciated.

EMT IV- I may try and work some as a Paramedic the month of July. I though maybe for Claiborne Co. EMS or at one of the hospitals. If you have any ideas please let me know.

I look forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months.

Claiborne Co. is good. They would probably take a PT medic no problem. I know some guys from up there so I'll ask next time I see them (This weekend probably). UT is one of the only hospitals that uses medics, but most of the rest will let you operate as a tech if you're interested in that. I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, I asked Dr. Leo and students are not required to be certified in CPR prior to matriculation to DCOM. It is encouraged, but not mandatory. Just in case anybody was wondering.

I can teach a class before we start if a few people are interested in getting certified.

Has anyone who has moved down had time to check out Dollywood and Splash Country? It is lots of fun and you definately should think about getting a season's pass. Splash Country is fun, fun, fun in the summer. Check out the websites
http://www.dollywood.com/ They are both owned by Dolly Parton and this website will lead you to the Splash Country website. My family loves both including my husband and I. We are headed off to Splash Country today...

You came to Splash Country and didn't even look me up???!!! :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Looking at the schedule, I really wish the tests were on Fridays. Just never been a fan of tests right after a weekend....and would rather bust my butt all week and enjoy a day of rest on the weekend. Just personal opinion. Looks like Labor Day is shot.

Looking at the schedule, I really wish the tests were on Fridays. Just never been a fan of tests right after a weekend....and would rather bust my butt all week and enjoy a day of rest on the weekend. Just personal opinion. Looks like Labor Day is shot.

no doubt....bye bye Labor Day

We are headed over to Harrogate tomorrow to start moving some things. I would love to meet any of you guys that are already in town.

Any advice on turning on utilities and things like that would be greatly appreciated.

EMT IV- I may try and work some as a Paramedic the month of July. I though maybe for Claiborne Co. EMS or at one of the hospitals. If you have any ideas please let me know.

I look forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months.

Here is some info. I am from this area so here you go:

H20 / Gas - Claiborne County Utility District (865) 626-4282
Electricity - Powell Valley Electric Cooperative (423) 626-5204
Telephone - Century Telephone of Claiborne (423) 626-4242

Also, here is a good link:
http://www.claibornecounty.com/chamber-pages/members.htm

I am at work, so maybe someone can respond before I leave....

Does anyone have the website for the background check? This is one of the last things I have to do. Thanks! Today is my day to get things done:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at work, so maybe someone can respond before I leave....

Does anyone have the website for the background check? This is one of the last things I have to do. Thanks! Today is my day to get things done:thumbup:

Go to www.PreCheck.com and click on the StudentCheck link and then click the Student button.

I received a bunch of my books today! :)

I have five of the books and need to start getting some more. Did anyone else notice that the ISBN numbers for the latest books were not right? I forget which book it was, but I think the list said the 13th edition was required, but the ISBN was for the 12th edition. I think another one may have been wrong too.

Updates on the animals:

The roosters are named Leroy and Cheeseburger. They are named after two car salesmen my husband met the other day. (They guy really introduced himself as "Cheeseburger". LOL!) The horses are all here and doing well. The cats and dogs are great too. I also got two puppies. They are boxer-lab mixes and sisters and their names are Sox (like the Red Sox) and Lazy Daisy. :love:

I had my first real "redneck" experience today. My neighbor was burning brush in a field that they had cut hay in a few days ago, so there was all this dry hay lying around. Of course, the flames spread and it started to go down the pasture. I went up and was trying to smother it with a shovel. My neighbor decided that he should DRIVE HIS ATV LOADED WITH GASOLINE THROUGH THE FLAMES to try and smother it...:rolleyes::idea::laugh::smuggrin: Anyway, everyone is fine and the fire is out. I just think it is probably not a good idea to drive something full of gas through raging flames, but maybe that is just me. LOL! Anyway....:p He is a really nice guy, but I guess he didn't really think the whole thing out. :lol:

I am having a blast though. I just love it here!!!! :biglove: :banana:

Oh, I have tomatoes and carrots coming up in my garden. Very exciting! :thumbup:

Go to www.PreCheck.com and click on the StudentCheck link and then click the Student button.

Thanks! I seem to have misplaced some of my DCOM paperwork...but it is done. I can not imagine what it must feel like to have been arrested, or even worse - hiding something from AACOMAS. I felt weird just filling out my information, and I have a clean slate.

Hey everybody,

It's getting kinda late and I still haven't found a roommate. Is anyone out there even looking for a room. If you are, please let me know and I'll try to do whatever I can to work something out.

If you have already put down a deposit for the dorm, I will refund it if you are willing to live with me. please let me know if you have even a little interest in hearing more.

I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Don't worry Acula, when they start showing up 3 days before school and no rooms are ready :cool::rolleyes::mad: you'll get plenty of takers.

I have five of the books and need to start getting some more. Did anyone else notice that the ISBN numbers for the latest books were not right? I forget which book it was, but I think the list said the 13th edition was required, but the ISBN was for the 12th edition. I think another one may have been wrong too.

Updates on the animals:

The roosters are named Leroy and Cheeseburger. They are named after two car salesmen my husband met the other day. (They guy really introduced himself as "Cheeseburger". LOL!) The horses are all here and doing well. The cats and dogs are great too. I also got two puppies. They are boxer-lab mixes and sisters and their names are Sox (like the Red Sox) and Lazy Daisy.

I had my first real "redneck" experience today. My neighbor was burning brush in a field that they had cut hay in a few days ago, so there was all this dry hay lying around. Of course, the flames spread and it started to go down the pasture. I went up and was trying to smother it with a shovel. My neighbor decided that he should DRIVE HIS ATV LOADED WITH GASOLINE THROUGH THE FLAMES to try and smother it...Anyway, everyone is fine and the fire is out. I just think it is probably not a good idea to drive something full of gas through raging flames, but maybe that is just me. LOL! Anyway....He is a really nice guy, but I guess he didn't really think the whole thing out.

I am having a blast though. I just love it here!!!!

Oh, I have tomatoes and carrots coming up in my garden. Very exciting!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This has to be one of the best stories so far. I think I am going to have to meet Cheeseburger (the man, not the rooster) just I can I hear him say it. I think one of the biggest things I am looking forward to is seeing all of the "You might be a redneck" jokes lived out. I don't doubt any of them. Don't get me wrong, I love the people in TN, but some of them are very "simple-minded." I'm not being mean, in fact, I have an uncle, who is from Chicago, that fits this description to a T. For example, he asked my other uncle for an extension cord for his CORDLESS drill :rolleyes: I have plenty of stories about him and they are all true.

Wow, you got more pets :eek:. You might need the whole student loan just for pet food :smuggrin:. Great names for the roosters too. I look forward to seeing them.

I think that you should submit your ATV story to Jeff Foxworthy. Just imagine the next time they tape a special you hear, "If you've ever tried putting out a fire by running over it with your ATV...you might be a redneck" :laugh:

Hope everyone is doing well and is relaxing before we start in just a few weeks :thumbup:

I have to post this link to another thread. I was in tears laughing so hard - it is freaking hilarious.

SDN writes a PS

Don't worry Acula, when they start showing up 3 days before school and no rooms are ready :cool::rolleyes::mad: you'll get plenty of takers.

I wish I could find it funny...but it's a pretty crappy situation right now and I wouldn't want to root for most of my fellow classmates to be without housing on the first day of school. although, none of us are apparently enrolled until we show up on august 1st at 8am.

for all of those cat lovers out there...:laugh:

http://shockingcats.ytmnd.com/

I am not a big fan of cats, but I don't hate them - it is just that dogs are better. Anywho... enjoy these cats if you are bored

Hey everybody,

It's getting kinda late and I still haven't found a roommate. Is anyone out there even looking for a room. If you are, please let me know and I'll try to do whatever I can to work something out.

If you have already put down a deposit for the dorm, I will refund it if you are willing to live with me. please let me know if you have even a little interest in hearing more.

I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Yea man, SDN is hardly a true representation of the whole class that will be at DCOM. This thread prolly has a good 40-50 people who post constantly and you got what like a good 100 people who never post? So i suppose you will eventually find one...i just wanna shout out to all those people going to dcom who are reluctant to post on sdn perhaps should to atleast help out Dr.Acula.

I don't know if all states do this, but TN has a tax free holiday the first weekend in Aug. So this year that is Aug. 3-5. All school supplies, clothing, shoes, and computers are tax free. Here is the link http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/salestaxholiday/reference.pdf Something confusing on the list -it says $100 limit but it means per item, not a $100 total.

Edit: As noted below :p the limit on computers is $1500. :cool:

Let me know when you find that computer under $100!;)

Funny, I didn't post that because if you looked at the list it would prove obvious that I was not talking about the computers. :cool:

With my bunch of kids, I usually save about $100 in taxes that weekend! School uniforms, backpacks, lunchboxes, shoes, coats, hats, gloves, socks, underwear, school supplies, etc. I usually throw in a few things for myself and my husband becuase it is tax free also.:)

Thanks for the information on the tax holiday! I was wondering if there is a Mac store in Knoxville.

Also, if anyone in the area might be willing to help us unload the truck in exchange for some beverage and food or something, please let me know. My dad's coming to help, but it might be nice to have an extra guy or two.

I'll be at LMU today...helping out the IT team with a server:cool:.

Anybody in town ? I'll probably hit pool with my boys:).

Thanks for the information on the tax holiday! I was wondering if there is a Mac store in Knoxville.

Also, if anyone in the area might be willing to help us unload the truck in exchange for some beverage and food or something, please let me know. My dad's coming to help, but it might be nice to have an extra guy or two.

When? Where is the house located? I am in the area just about every week. And so long as I do not have an appointment, I would not mind helping out.

I'll be at LMU today...helping out the IT team with a server:cool:.

Anybody in town ? I'll probably hit pool with my boys:).

I am here, but no pool for us. My mother is coming on Sunday and my kitchen is only partially painted and the rest of the house is a mess. :eek::scared:You are welcome to stop by though.

Lrobin: Thanks for that tax free info! I will definitely have to save up and go shopping then.:D

We had a near tragedy yesterday with Fred (Bassett Hound) and Leroy (rooster). Fred grabbed Leroy and was attacking him. I grabbed Leroy and looked him over. He was just missing a few feathers and is outstide running around right now. Poor bird! They are both really cool roosters. I let them out during the day and they come over and watch me when I work on my fence and then they go right back in their cage when it starts to get dark. They are really sweet!:love:

What do you want a Mac for? LMAO!!! Just kidding! Anyway, if you tell me the date, I will see if my husband will help out. I would offer, but then someone would have to babysit the kids. LOL! I can see if I can find someone to watch them anyway. My husband is going away for a few days in July, but if he is here, we will try to help. :)

Hey,

I am going to me moving into the area the middle of July. If anyone has any info on a 3 bedroom house for rent I'd really appreciate it. I have 2 kids so I can't go much smaller. Also does anyone know when kiddo school starts there? I can't find any info on the web.

Thanks also for the info on the tax free weekend, I'll be sure to get in on that for all three of us!!

Just got the email from Dr. Leo. Here is the short story:

Apartments will be ready June 20th. The furniture is in and they are putting on the finishing touches. If there is a delay you can stay in the dorms! Yay :D And if you have kids, let him know.

Spouses can come to the first part of orientation, then they will go to an auditorium to see a presentation of what life will be like for the next 4 years. Kids can't come - no room :(

There is an order form for the DCOM OMM shorts and shirt. The shorts are a whopping $24.00!!! These shorts better have cheat sheets built in for 24 bucks! Shirt is $14.95 and orders need to be in by June 29th. The order form is below.Copy, paste and send to : [email protected] or call 1-800-325-0900 ext. 6306 or fax Fax 1-423-869-2841

Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone
Short Size Quantity
Shirt Size Quantity
DCOM T-Shirt (Gray) $14.95
DCOM Shorts (Navy) $24.00

Sub Total
Tax (.0925)
Total
Credit Card #
Exp. Date

Oh, and register for the school BBQ here: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/barbecue_registration.htm

I am here, but no pool for us. My mother is coming on Sunday and my kitchen is only partially painted and the rest of the house is a mess. You are welcome to stop by though.

Lrobin: Thanks for that tax free info! I will definitely have to save up and go shopping then.

We had a near tragedy yesterday with Fred (Bassett Hound) and Leroy (rooster). Fred grabbed Leroy and was attacking him. I grabbed Leroy and looked him over. He was just missing a few feathers and is outstide running around right now. Poor bird! They are both really cool roosters. I let them out during the day and they come over and watch me when I work on my fence and then they go right back in their cage when it starts to get dark. They are really sweet!:love:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Another great story. I just get visions of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has the rooster named Little Jerry.

Just got the email from Dr. Leo. Here is the short story:

Apartments will be ready June 20th. The furniture is in and they are putting on the finishing touches. If there is a delay you can stay in the dorms! Yay :D And if you have kids, let him know.

Spouses can come to the first part of orientation, then they will go to an auditorium to see a presentation of what life will be like for the next 4 years. Kids can't come - no room :(

There is an order form for the DCOM OMM shorts and shirt. The shorts are a whopping $24.00!!! These shorts better have cheat sheets built in for 24 bucks! Shirt is $14.95 and orders need to be in by June 29th. The order form is below.Copy, paste and send to : [email protected] or call 1-800-325-0900 ext. 6306 or fax Fax 1-423-869-2841

Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone
Short Size Quantity
Shirt Size Quantity
DCOM T-Shirt (Gray) $14.95
DCOM Shorts (Navy) $24.00

Sub Total
Tax (.0925)
Total
Credit Card #
Exp. Date

Oh, and register for the school BBQ here: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/barbecue_registration.htm

I got the email too. I will be ordering 2 sets, just in case. I thought they were expensive too, but oh well, what are we to do? I'm really excited that spouses and significant others get to come to the first day of orientation. I think it is a good idea for them to hear from the horses mouth about life for the next few years.

We are going to be signing a contract for a rental property within the next few days. It is in LaFollette and we'll be able to do month-to-month rental until we sell the condo in Chicago. My wife will be staying in the condo until it sells or she gets a job offer in TN. She'll be out for orientation and everything, so that will be good, but it will suck being seperated for an indefinite period of time :( We are also getting new cars this weekend!!! :clap: We can't wait. Both are Chevy's (Ford sucks :smuggrin:) and I'll post pics when we get them. We got two great deals (thanks to my dad :D) and the incentives are awesome too. We both needed cars b/c my truck has over 183k miles and her's, which we sold, had over 135k miles and I they wouldn't last very long in the amount of driving we have to do. I so can't wait until Saturday afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am willing to help anyone I can. I had to come back to Memphis to finish out work, but I should be back in town next week. I actually may need some help myself. My wife is still over at the house painting.

We are planning on having a gathering at the house as well. We will arrange it around DocMom's and the schools. But, it well be something fun and relaxing. We had talked about a mexican night or something.

Anyone needs help please feel free to pm me.

I also want to thank everyone for all the useful information that has been posted on SDN over the months. It has really helped make the transition easier.

do we have to buy these shorts and shirts????

From what I understand, these are the required "uniform" for OMM, or OPP

Sing it: "Are you down with OPP - yeah you know me"

Sorry for putting the song in your head now :) :p

Yeaa i was wondering the same thing..i mean if that's the case i would def would want to see how the shorts look before i buy them?!?

This probably won't help much, but here is what the student handbook says:

Professional Appearance

All DCOM students are expected to be dressed appropriately at all times with awareness to personal hygiene, cleanliness and especially a professional demeanor. Students need to demonstrate that they have the proper judgment about what attire to wear for a given educational activity. Patients should feel comfortable in a student’s presence. A student who wears revealing clothing that makes a patient feel uncomfortable is not showing good judgment in this area.

1. Students should not wear clothing that may be provocative or distracting to other members of the community. Students who come to school dressed
unprofessionally will be asked to leave the campus, change clothes and return in appropriate attire. Any absence from class or an exam because of the student’s lack of judgment will be considered an unexcused absence. The dress code is enforced between the hours of 7:30 am– 4:30 pm on Monday through Friday.

2. While not an exhaustive list, tube tops, tank tops, t-shirts, flip-flops, excessive body piercing, cutoff shorts, and jeans with holes in them are examples of inappropriate dress and are considered unacceptable. Scrubs are only allowed in the anatomy laboratory. When representing DCOM in any type of public forum, such as a conference or certain on-campus events, the dress code is, at the very least, business casual. At some public forums a higher standard is expected. Again, the student must display correct judgment and match the appropriate clothing with the event.

3. Courses with a laboratory component such as Osteopathic Medicine, Anatomy, and Clinical skills will require that students dress as directed for these courses. The syllabus for each course will explain in more detail the appropriate attire.

4. Students on clinical services are required to wear clean white jackets with
appropriate dress. Men are required to wear shirts with ties and slacks, or
equivalent dress. Women are required to wear dresses, blouses with skirts or
slacks, or equivalent.

From what I gather is that the syllabus will tell us what to wear and I assume that is has to be the shorts and shirt from Dr. Leo's email. The only way to know for sure is to contact Dr. Leo.

Is the e-mail saying that we must order by June 29 or that is the pre-order deadline?

Also, what is everyone wearing to orientation?

Is the e-mail saying that we must order by June 29 or that is the pre-order deadline?

Also, what is everyone wearing to orientation?

From what I gather, the order has to be placed by June 29.

For orientation, I plan on wearing jeans, gym shoes, and a collared shirt.

When it's 90+ outside it's going to be Teva's or flip flops ;):cool:!!

Trying sending me home when I'm paying $30k to listen to somebody lecture!!:cool:
The "kids" at LMU college are like any other college and we won't be any different. Anything else is ridicurous:eek::confused::cool::rolleyes::mad:.

Yes! that is a word.

PS I think the last (not today's) email said rooms by 7/28

Yes, $24 is a lot of money for shorts. Don't they know I am trying to feed a zoo over here. LOL!;):p:laugh:

I have to buy clothes. I live in tank tops, shorts, and sandals. I wish we could wear scrubs all the time. I love those things. Speaking of which, they had some cheap ones in Dollar General if anyone is interested.

On a somewhat depressing note...my poor horse Star has navicular disease. It is a chronic, degenerative thing, kind of like an arthritis, in his front feet. So, I won't ever be able to jump him.:( I have to get special shoes made for him. His feet are really sore right now though and they are going to have to dope him up to put them on. My poor baby! He was my horse that was seriously neglected when I got him and was 200 pounds underweight. The poor horse has been neglected and starved most of his life and now this. Not that anyone cares about Star that much, but just thought I would share because I am a bit bummed out about it. He is a sweetheart though and loves carrots, so if you come to visit us, bring carrots. :D

BTW, the vet even thought I should be a vet instead. LMAO! But no, people medicine and rural FM only for me.:love:

My vet is Dr. Russell of Russell Veterinary in Harrogate and I highly recommend him to anyone who has pets. Really nice guy!:thumbup:

This probably won't help much, but here is what the student handbook says:

Professional Appearance

2. While not an exhaustive list, tube tops, tank tops, t-shirts, flip-flops, excessive body piercing, cutoff shorts, and jeans with holes in them are examples of inappropriate dress and are considered unacceptable. Scrubs are only allowed in the anatomy laboratory. When representing DCOM in any type of public forum, such as a conference or certain on-campus events, the dress code is, at the very least, business casual. At some public forums a higher standard is expected. Again, the student must display correct judgment and match the appropriate clothing with the event.

From what I gather is that the syllabus will tell us what to wear and I assume that is has to be the shorts and shirt from Dr. Leo's email. The only way to know for sure is to contact Dr. Leo.

It doesn't say that sandals are off limits, though the list is not "exhaustive", but that means tevas and other sandals are okay in my book! I live in sandals and flip flops so at least I can stay in my sandals and I may try to get away with a few "dressy" flip flops. I'm not going to go buy a whole wardrobe, all new shoes, $24 shorts, tees, scrubs, books, otoscope, stethescope, neuro hammer, bp cuff, etc. when I am paying $30k in tuition, financial aid just won't stretch that far. So since I actually need most of that stuff, the wardrobe and shoes are going to be the first to suffer! :smuggrin:

I don't wear flip-flops anyway, they always twist on my feet and then I end up looking really weird when I walk :smuggrin: As long as I can wear jeans and gym shoes, I'm a happy camper. I don't mind wearing golf shirts, although it is a tease to a place I'd rather be - the golf course. The only thing I don't know is about the winter clothing, i.e. hoodies, sweaters, etc. I know the winters won't be like they are in IL, KS, PA, etc., but it still gets chilly and I don't want to have to wear dress shirts. But i guess we will see.

BTW, 39 days until orientation :eek: :clap:

There is a mac store at West Town Mall in west Knoxville. To get to the mall, it is the Westhills exit off of I-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.